Werewolves and talking

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

*smacks Trinity on the back of the head* Big cats can purr, they just do it in shorter bursts than the small cats.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think werewolves would have a laguage of thier own one thats easy for them to talk threw thier muzzels.
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

i think werewolves would have a laguage of thier own one thats easy for them to talk threw thier muzzels.
That would be quite dificult to make such a new language and to teach anyone, if they're going to teach a new language maybe they'll just use sign language because they won't have to make it up. Yet there are people who have a hard time learning a new language, I myself am still having a hard time taking in Spanish.
Now take a look as Small cats versus Big Cats. Most Big Cats can't purr. Small cat's can't ROAR. This is due to the fact that their throat set up has a little bone wrapped around the wind pipe. in Smaller cats, its flexiable. In Larger cats its not. This is what prevents Big Cats from Purring and small cats from Roaring.
Big cats can purr. Just only when breathing one way, I think it's when they exhale. While small cats can purr while inhaling and exhaling.

Otherwise I liked what Trinity has said. :D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:
That would be quite dificult to make such a new language and to teach anyone, if they're going to teach a new language maybe they'll just use sign language because they won't have to make it up.
Having their own lanugage could take advantage of the natural strengths of the gestat form. Plus it would prevent any non-weres from eavesdropping.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

Reilune wrote:*smacks Trinity on the back of the head* Big cats can purr, they just do it in shorter bursts than the small cats.
HAH!
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/plaza ... o/ver4.htm
http://www.lazycat.org/snow_leopards/links.html
http://ibs.howstuffworks.com/ibs/des/question394.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat
http://www.joellesteele.com/article-25.htm

BUt I do stand corrected. In Biger Cats the "bone" is flexibl not inflexiable. And Vice Versus for smaller cats.

Mid-size cats, that are often catagorized as "Big Cats" can and do purr. Ex Mountain Lions, Bobcats, etc..,

Tigers 'chuff' and its an exhalation of breath.
But Lions and Tiger can't. Its a physical impossibility. So Nah. :)

:P

~~~~~~~~

Back on Topic. ;) *wags to all*

Its not so much as being able to "talk through their muzzle". If they used body language, even people who are bitten could leanr easily.

One thing I have noticed is how blind most humanity is to simple and partially hidden body language. Being someone who was outcast and constantly picked on I HAD to pick up on the subtle cues. It didn't take me long either. Body language, especially facil expressions, are the first things were learn as infants.

Body language is also something that DOES affects us if subtlly. I've had a number of classes in college where they teach us, for interviews, how NOT to give off negative sublt body-cues. Most people are shocked when they realize what they do. :) Heh.

Now I agree though, for any scent portion of learning a language, it would take practice. So most Bitten would miss those sublte cues, or be confuzed as to what smell belongs to what cue. ;) muahaha. Also they'd be hard-pressed to learn how to control ( key hehehe ) their own scent cues.

Vocal cues would be another bit that would be difficult to learn, especially in the more wolf-like 'tongue' ( pun intended, yes you may smack me ;) ). Though since the human brain is wire to learn language, the "spoken" portion of the werewolf language would take less time to learn then the scent portion, I suspose. :)

Yeah I think far to much about stuff liek this.

One book I'm currently reading gives werewolves the abilaity to pick up on even whispered conversations, scnets even while in human form, and can see much further then a normal human. Scent for them it seems is the primary portion of their "language".
"The Promise" by Donna Boyd
:D

Now as to vocalizations, beside wolfish ones we all know and love. Certain sound could be produced.

R's ( rolling r's ), Vowels, S's, Possibly F's ( but not well formed ), G's ( that sound like Guh from a throat-pinch sound. Very Germanic in some ways. But not the Gee we know. ), H's ( with huffing sounds, but not Aa-ch ), K ( like hard C's, but as a throaty click, or click of the tongue on teh roof of the mouth ), L's, M's ( hums but not Emm ), Q's ( could be done with difficultly but sound click-like, like a K ), X's ( Hard X sound )

B's, D's, F's, G's, H's, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, T, V, W, X, Z would all be extremely difficult if not impossible with the shape of the muzzle and tongue. ( Except where noted above ).

Now I'm no speech therapist, btu I am an antimation major who has had to study sounds for lip synchs. Let me tell yuo trying to DRAW f's is a biznitch! heh And may childern find F's and T's to be some of the harder consonants to master. :)

My two cents. :D
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

hey, I liked that part with Cursed, where the werewolf flicked them off,"LIAR" that was one of the coolest and funniest things I saw in a werewolf movie(finaly something to laugh in these type of flicks)
I actually liked that moment too, because of the humor, but I didn't like the other times she "talked" in monster form at all. Also, I've heard way too many people making fun of the talking werewolves in "Cursed". Even if I like something personally, I think that the producers of Freeborn need to be leery of things that tend to cause people to make fun of werewolf movies.
It is kind of like with books. If an author slips up big-time in just one scene of a novel, there could be so much derision from fans that the entire novel ends up being thought of as stupid, even if the rest of it is excellent. I'm not 100% against talking werewolves, I'm just mostly against them and I think that any movie-maker should really be sure and think about it hard before trying it.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Jamie wrote:
hey, I liked that part with Cursed, where the werewolf flicked them off,"LIAR" that was one of the coolest and funniest things I saw in a werewolf movie(finaly something to laugh in these type of flicks)
I actually liked that moment too, because of the humor, but I didn't like the other times she "talked" in monster form at all. Also, I've heard way too many people making fun of the talking werewolves in "Cursed". Even if I like something personally, I think that the producers of Freeborn need to be leery of things that tend to cause people to make fun of werewolf movies.
It is kind of like with books. If an author slips up big-time in just one scene of a novel, there could be so much derision from fans that the entire novel ends up being thought of as stupid, even if the rest of it is excellent. I'm not 100% against talking werewolves, I'm just mostly against them and I think that any movie-maker should really be sure and think about it hard before trying it.
That's one of many reason why I support having a more natrualistic 'language', rather then something that looks forced, unlikely, improable, and un-natural.

:)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Trinity wrote:
That's one of many reason why I support having a more natrualistic 'language', rather then something that looks forced, unlikely, improable, and un-natural.

:woof:

:jester:
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Again I shall repeat...

Impromptu mock-language made up of simple sounds and body/hand gestures.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Jamie wrote:
I totaly agree, but I was wondering, what other parts where the werewolf talked?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

Figarou wrote:
Trinity wrote:

:jester:

OMG!! :love: :woof:

WolvenOne wrote:
Again I shall repeat...

Impromptu mock-language made up of simple sounds and body/hand gestures.
And Scent, though scents arent going to be 'seen' as much as 'spoken of' or noticed outloud. ;)

I support ya here Wolven. :D
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

outwarddoodles wrote:
That would be quite dificult to make such a new language and to teach anyone, if they're going to teach a new language maybe they'll just use sign language because they won't have to make it up. Yet there are people who have a hard time learning a new language, I myself am still having a hard time taking in Spanish.
i'm talking about that werewolves could evolved a language one thier own like we did.
THE GAME

My Armory
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

wolf marine wrote:i'm talking about that werewolves could evolved a language one thier own like we did.
True, but, do realize that this language would not be a werewolf's first language, and I doubt that we would want or need a new language for Freeborn.
After all, we don't want Klingons in fur.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

I highly doubt it would be a language that woul dhave a defined dictionary.:P

Plus, if you go heavy on body language, film-edit cuts ( to eyes, ears, muzzle snarls ) and overlay sounds, you still get the same effect of communication being passed between werewolves.

Unless you plan on a TV Series, I doubt you'd have to expund upon the intracaies of werewolf "tongue". :)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Trinity wrote:I highly doubt it would be a language that woul dhave a defined dictionary.:P

Plus, if you go heavy on body language, film-edit cuts ( to eyes, ears, muzzle snarls ) and overlay sounds, you still get the same effect of communication being passed between werewolves.

Unless you plan on a TV Series, I doubt you'd have to expund upon the intracaies of werewolf "tongue". :)
What's intricite about it?
It's warm, soft and oozing with saliva and germs.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

*mauls you in a friendly like way* :biteshift:

*then drooles on you for special effect* *slurps!* :panting:

;)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote: What's intricite about it?

Ah, a werewolf's way of showing love to someone. Spreading saliva and germs all over your face.

:panting:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Apokryltaros wrote:What's intricite about it?
And yet, it's probably cleaner than my own mouth right now.

I should go brush my teeth.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I hated when my dog tries to lick inside my nose, yuck, I dont want that, and plus his mouth stinks real bad.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I hated when my dog tries to lick inside my nose, yuck, I dont want that, and plus his mouth stinks real bad.

You should brush his teeth, then.

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Lupin wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:I hated when my dog tries to lick inside my nose, yuck, I dont want that, and plus his mouth stinks real bad.

You should brush his teeth, then.

I actually tried several times with a toothbrush and toothpaste, he didnt like it, but he seems to like the toothpaste a little :D
Image Image
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

They do have minty doggied bones that should help. :)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Trinity wrote:They do have minty doggied bones that should help. :)
really? I never knew they had those.
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

PetCo has all kinds of nifty things for pets. Including breath mints. XD

*chuckles*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Trinity wrote:PetCo has all kinds of nifty things for pets. Including breath mints. XD

*chuckles*

I don't have a dog. Thats why I never knew they had such a product. :D