Fur Color

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
KnownToBite
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Beta Female of The C-Oney Wolf Pack

Post by KnownToBite »

[say "no" to p-shifting]
Jasmine Isis
Beta Female to The Real Life C-Oney Wolf Pack
Mate to Syn Kardis
Mother to 2 beautiful kids - Damien Marcus and Scarlette Eden
Mother to 2 beautiful wolves - Isis(f mexican red) and Osiris(m timberwolf)
Mother to a beautiful red fox kit - Pyro
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

KnownToBite wrote:I tried getting proof but all the pics come up blurry for some reason so my alpha and i just pitched the pics out. we took them on my grandfathers heavily wooded 200+ acers in broad daylight of each other in different poses and such but they all looked like we were running instead of standing still. odd huh?

:crazy:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

KnownToBite wrote:I tried getting proof but all the pics come up blurry for some reason so my alpha and i just pitched the pics out. we took them on my grandfathers heavily wooded 200+ acers in broad daylight of each other in different poses and such but they all looked like we were running instead of standing still. odd huh?
I suggest one of these.

They tend to help get rid of motion blur, and really stabalize images.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Meh. Another werewolf impersonator. :roll:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

But it's a fun to play sometimes.... :(

"Look! It's a bird... it's a plane.... no... It's a senile old man"
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Fur Color

Post by Moonstalker »

Ochiba wrote:Is the fur coloring going to be similar to the shade of the persons hair? The natural color of course. Sorry if this has already been discussed, I didn't see a post like it.
EX:I guess the color should be something random like with real wolves. Some hairs on the head too
[[/b]:o
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

Unless the werewolves are green.
"i have never seen a purple cow.
and hope to see one.
but i can tell you anyhow.
I'd rather see then be one."

8)
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
bloodwolf_345
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Polywere Supreme

Post by bloodwolf_345 »

I would assume the fur color to be an outward expression of the Werewolves mood or alignment(good/evil). A shift in anger would result in a shade of grey fur depending on how much anger is behind the shift(shadow wolf), a shift for a hunt would result in red fur(bloodwolf), a shift of happiness would result in gold or white fur(goldenwolf/silverwolf respectively)

and the basic colors of good and evil
good - gold, white, or silver

evil - black
A fractured psyche is not always a bad thing. In the world of Werewolves and Otherkin, many can exist in one host very peacefully. I am a great example of that. I have 6 different Fursonas
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

bloodwolf_345 wrote:I would assume the fur color to be an outward expression of the Werewolves mood or alignment(good/evil). A shift in anger would result in a shade of grey fur depending on how much anger is behind the shift(shadow wolf), a shift for a hunt would result in red fur(bloodwolf), a shift of happiness would result in gold or white fur(goldenwolf/silverwolf respectively)

and the basic colors of good and evil
good - gold, white, or silver

evil - black

Nope...sorry...I disagree. Black does not = evil.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

I would disagree with that, too. I'm very annoyed by this black-and-white- thing. I would also disagree with the thought of the furcolor as a reflection of the mood or alignment of the werewolf - unless there would be some magic involved.

Nonetheless reflects the fur color in my story the character of the werewolf in question. But a black werewolf is not = evil werewolf. To me every color has two sides. And black is to me the color of protection or isolation as it is seen in many chromantic traditions. So a black werewolf could be a great protector or a lonesome werewolf who prefers to be alone. On the other hand furcolor could be the haircolor of the humanform of the werewolf as well.
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Mood fur? Uh... no.

I think a werewolf should have the same color of fur from one shift to the next. You shouldn't turn into a gray-furred wolf when you're feeling happy and a brown one when you're feeling down.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:Mood fur? Uh... no.

I think a werewolf should have the same color of fur from one shift to the next. You shouldn't turn into a gray-furred wolf when you're feeling happy and a brown one when you're feeling down.

The only time when the fur changes color is when you're getting old.

*plucks a gray hair* :(
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

In some storyplots, fur change could be a good thing. Quick evolution, appearance change, ability alteration (now that sounds like something out of a manga)... Though i'd be speechless if my own fur would turn to pink. I'd have thought i turned into a girl or something........... :lol:

And i don't believe black is an evil color at all. I've once baby-cradled a black tomcat with my arms, and there was no sign of me being jinxed....... Except maybe for the part that i flunked an exam. :cry:
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I used to have a black cat, and black butterflies are very lucky for me, so I can easily say the good/evil color thing is crap. They're just colors.

And if you want to get REALLY specific... In Japan white is different, especially white hair, so generally white was evil and black good. In deserts green is good and red evil because green represented the plant growth and red the barren, empty sands.

So yeah. Mood fur = bad. :roll:
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I see some potential to the idea. I probably wouldn't do it that way myself, but it would be interesting to see something made from this idea.

Werewolves are shapeshifters. If you give them a high enough degree of control, they might very well be able to alter their general fur color as they shift. This allows for your 'mood fur' as it is being called and resolves a few of the issues that have been mentioned.

The colors don't have to be set in stone. The color that the werewolf ends up could very well be tied to what mood that individual associates the color with. Maybe one werewolf ends up black when he's in a dark mood, while another turns a furious white. Even so, these colors would probably be fairly consistent within a given culture.

We could even imagine, perhaps, that those who deviate from the norm might be hailed as heroes, or reviled as outcasts.

-- Vilkacis
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

so, if the wolves were part of NATO forces, would thier fur be blue?
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Moon Daughter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Door to Darkness

Post by Moon Daughter »

Vilkasis wrote:Werewolves are shapeshifters. If you give them a high enough degree of control, they might very well be able to alter their general fur color as they shift. This allows for your 'mood fur' as it is being called and resolves a few of the issues that have been mentioned.

The colors don't have to be set in stone. The color that the werewolf ends up could very well be tied to what mood that individual associates the color with. Maybe one werewolf ends up black when he's in a dark mood, while another turns a furious white. Even so, these colors would probably be fairly consistent within a given culture.
I think the 'mood fur' is a good idea, but only to a certain extent. Sorry Vilkasis, but I find it a bit too drastic to for a werewolve to all of sudden become black because of a dark mood or a furious white. I can understand maybe the fur looker lighter or darker in the original hue, but not like a totally different color.

I mean, I look at myslef when thinking of this 'mood' change. I normally have tricolored light brown hair. The majority of it is light brown, but I have natually occuring highlights of chesnut, dirty blond, and even ruby-brown. When I'm in a considerably dark and foul mood, even I've seen it, my hair seems void of any blond and looks almost completely dark brown with a little touch of chesnut in the sun. When I'm really happy and giddy, I look a lot more blond, especially in the sun.

I can understand a werewolf taking this to a bit more of a degree, with the whole shapeshifter power and everything, but not to a toally different color. I mean I can imagine a werewolf that is normally light brown, maybe turning really dark brown (like the basic color of a tree) when in a dark mood, and then turing to a golden honey-like colored when they're in a light and playful mood. That seems logical to me.
"He who make a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man." -Dr. Johnson
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

I'd stay away from variable fur color, if only because fur color is one of the major distinguishing features in gestalt or wolf form (size and body type being others). Summer coat vs. winter coat should be the only "natural" variation, being something that wolves already have. Werewolves aren't general-purpose "shapeshifters" or "polymorphs", even though they do change shapes. :D
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:The only time when the fur changes color is when you're getting old.

*plucks a gray hair* :(

Hmm, I wonder, would werewolves fade like wolves do, so that they end up becoming all white?
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I don't see why they wouldn't. Even black furred wolves get some white hairs on their muzzles as they age.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Reilune wrote:I don't see why they wouldn't. Even black furred wolves get some white hairs on their muzzles as they age.
Some black wolves in captivity will fade even more than that, turning almost completely white in their old age.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I like the mood fur idea. I think it's kinda cool. Totally inappropriate for Freeborn, but cool nonetheless. I would love to read a novel or watch a movie where the werewolves changed colors, according to mood and good/evil alignment.

On a side note, did anyone ever watch Farscape? There was a character named Jool, whose hair lightened and darkened according to her adrenaline (I think) levels in a given situation. It wasn't a total color change. Just a shade change. Normally, her hair was a traditional reddish/orange color, but in times when she was nervous, it turned a brilliant scarlet.
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

I do remember that. It was a bit of a gimmick, and I don't remember there being much emphasis put on it after introducing her.