Fur Color

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lyco
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lyco »

wait... if a werewolf dyed his hair from say, brown to red in human from... when he TF's it would make sence for his fur to be brownish and not red, right?

but when he changes back, will his hair still be dyed, or would it revert to it's natural color?

Why do i think of thses things? :P
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

If the shifting is pure-biological, the hair dye is either lost--the hair shed because of a toxin, or absorbed, the hair dye metabolized by a heavily overworked lycanthropic liver. Either way, the coloring job is gone. Being a werewolf is expensive, but on the plus side, a bad hair job can be fixed rather quickly.

If it's magic, either hard-magic or soft-magic, the hair could have a "last left off" memory, returning to whatever it looked like before the shift, dye and all. If such principles applied, hair length could also be preserved.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

I'd figure the dye would be visible because much of the hair on the wolf form's head and neck would correspond to the human form's hair. The wolf's undercoat and so forth would mix in with it, so it would be less saturated in color. While this way avoids skin problems and various mind-bogglers, it definitely would look out of place on a wolf, and prevent the werewolf from "passing" as a normal wolf (assuming they could do that otherwise). Moral of the story: werewolves should not dye their hair. :D
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Scott... quick question though. I've been reading through this forum, and I'm still as confused as heck as to where you get the hair absorbing thing. At least on the head. Why would the hair on the head be sucked in with the rest of the fur? I'm guessing that's where you're getting the toxins and whatever.
Boo
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

has anyone mentioned the possibility of shedding all the fur when someone shifts back?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

kitetsu wrote:has anyone mentioned the possibility of shedding all the fur when someone shifts back?

I can't speak for everyone, but to me, shedding large amounts of fur when TFing back to human is...well...ugh.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

That would be the more biologically plausable option...though I really don't care for it. Sounds Messy.

I would accept that on a Werewolf that is supposed to be as close to physically (as in...staying within the laws of physics) realistic as possible, as this would be one of the only probable options on a "real" biological creature, so in that situation it would work.

...but when one is trying to make the werewolf more of a legendary, mysterious, supernatural creature, I think that leaving a huge pile of shed fur wherever they change back would be silly looking, and not fit well with the mystique. A small bit of shed hair, on the other hand, could be kindof spooky, as finding it somewhere could be a sign that a werewolf has been there recently.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Renorei wrote:
kitetsu wrote:has anyone mentioned the possibility of shedding all the fur when someone shifts back?

I can't speak for everyone, but to me, shedding large amounts of fur when TFing back to human is...well...ugh.
Yeah...ditto.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

A small bit of shed hair, on the other hand, could be kindof spooky, as finding it somewhere could be a sign that a werewolf has been there recently.
Hells Yeah! Thats what I think as well. Not a massive pile of fur or anything cheesy like that. Enough that it would make a person stop and look around uneasily :wink: :D
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Aki wrote:
Renorei wrote:

Yeah...ditto.
Yeah, I'd prefer the less realistic method where the fir is re-absorbed.

I dunno why.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

Lupin wrote:
Aki wrote:
Renorei wrote:

Yeah...ditto.
Yeah, I'd prefer the less realistic method where the fir is re-absorbed.

I dunno why.
I also find myself preferring the resorbtion of one kind of hair while the other is extruded. There is something neat about things which end up being challenging to explain. It is perhaps called 'mystical'.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

because wolves tend to have ether grey, black, or white hair (i'm not going where you may think i'm going with this) the fur of a werewolf should be a mixture of the human hair color and either grey, black, or white.
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
Teenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Having the light to lead them...

Post by Teenwolf »

Figarou wrote:
SnowWalker wrote:I'm more than likely wrong on this but here's my 2 cents. Wolves don't go gray all over when they get older, right? I know dogs grey around the muzzle (and paws?), and horses grey in the tail and mane... so wolves would be similar in that they grey around the muzzle, right?

ok.. in that case, my own preference is that an aging werewolf would go grey around the muzzle... but not all around.

oh well, just my own thoughts.

~Snowy

You're looking at it from the wolves/dogs point of view. Humans get gray hair all over when getting old. Its starts with the head and works its way towards the rest of the body. (I think)

I'm 37 and I already have some grey hair showing on my head.
what about me? i am 24 years old and i am half bald.... :cry: since the last 3 years my hair is leaving me.... :cry:
PROUD TO BE A FURRY
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

SnowWalker wrote:I'm more than likely wrong on this but here's my 2 cents. Wolves don't go gray all over when they get older, right? I know dogs grey around the muzzle (and paws?), and horses grey in the tail and mane... so wolves would be similar in that they grey around the muzzle, right?
I'm very late in answering this, but yes, they go white:

These two are the same wolf:
http://images.nonexiste.net/view/wolfpa ... n_ice.jpeg
http://nonexiste.net/~lupin/miska.jpg
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

I always thought they would have fur the color of a wolf.
White, Gray, Black, red, and so on.
I really don't like the thought of the werewolf having fur the color of your hair.

I always thought that a werewolfs bite, carried certain traits for the fur, eye color, the way your body transforms when you shift, or just the way your werewolf body looks like in general.

:|
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Anook wrote:I always thought that a werewolfs bite, carried certain traits for the fur, eye color, the way your body transforms when you shift, or just the way your werewolf body looks like in general.
The problem with that is the tendancy to end up with "clones", all werewolves everywhere looking the same. If the bite alone dictates so much of the physical appearance there's no room for variety. I don't know about you, but I don't like cookie cutter critters.
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

Thats a really good resonse. I never really thought about there being clones. :|
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

The idea that the original biter, and not the person's original hair color, determining the fur color doesn't make any sense to me.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

Apokryltaros wrote:The idea that the original biter, and not the person's original hair color, determining the fur color doesn't make any sense to me.
Ditto. That would be as if the bite completely removed your genetic traits.
Eat more tobasco.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

When you think about it, a human's hair color becoming the dominant influencer on a wolf's fur isn't all that strange. Both humans and wolves have the same basic colors. Lupin posted a series of pics a while back that showed this perfectly. There was a blond person and a blondise wolf, and redhead and a reddish wolf, a brunette and brown wolf, and so on. It wouldn't end up looking unnatural.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Fur Color

Post by MoonKit »

Im sure theres been a post like this before but I am lazy. Im just hoping for new members to contribute.

What color should a werewolfs fur be? The same as their hair color in human form? Actual wolf colors? Or whatever they want it to be?

Im thinking bright green werewolves with mohawks! :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Ah, thank you Vuldari! :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

There would almost have to be some Were' or other that dyed his fur in Green Camo....
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

greyish brownish top coat fading to and off white underbelly......... :D