Body Condition Vs "THE BITE"

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Animals have allergic reactions just as humans do. And having allergies is not like killing little bugs. I have had many reactions to things, one thing is Zipro (I beleive.) that almost killed me, and the other thing we don't know yet. The testing hasn't told us, I think its seasonal. I swell up, get lots of hives and one time my legs were turning figgin' blue. They can be very dangerous and often mean a trip to the hostibital where they put an IV in my arm. Luckily I havent a big reaction for years besides a few redness. A werewolf would be just the same when coming to allergies, depending on each individual on their allergies.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

but a werewolf changes even at a genetic structure, it can work differently than a human would
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote:If you would like the exact on allergies please, go google it. Otherwise its I beleive when your body is rejecting a substance, and because a werewolf's system is stronger than that may make it more severe.

From the Food alergy orginization:
The immune system mistakenly believes that a harmless substance, in this case a food item, is harmful. In its attempt to protect the body, it creates specific IgE antibodies to that food. The next time the individual eats that food, the immune system releases massive amounts of chemicals and histamines in order to protect the body. These chemicals trigger a cascade of allergic symptoms that can affect the respiratory system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, or cardiovascular system.
So that can mean their allergy syptoms would be worse.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/allergy.htm - Heres some good information.

ok so i read it agien, if that was the case then any allergy would kill off a werewolf, now somethings wrong with that.

Werewolf walks into a flower shop: cough,cough cant breath!!! auhhh, splat.

mabey it works differently, mabey it fight off allergies with required amount of frocity it really needs, not send a nuke to a small house in the middle of the woods.

And if it is true that a wereowlf symptons would be so great it can kill them, then that could be the reason why they dont exist.

Great now you ruined my fantasy about werewolves,thanks. :cry:
No, I'm saying its a posibility it could be a leser or great reaction. It isn't going to kill them unless they themselves have a severe reaction to something. Whats wrong is werewolves NOT having allergies.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Shadow Wulf wrote:but a werewolf changes even at a genetic structure, it can work differently than a human would
Wolves have allergies too and I betcah they work similair for a wolf as a human.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

WolvenOne wrote:Heh, I'm not sure it's possible to be allergic to yourself. ;)
That's basically what an autoimmune disease is; your immune system responding to somthing it shouldn't.
Shadow Wulf wrote: mabey it works differently, mabey it fight off allergies with required amount of frocity it really needs, not send a nuke to a small house in the middle of the woods.:
But nukes are fun! Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:Whats wrong is werewolves NOT having allergies.
I still like the idea of a werewolf with an allergy to dog fur.
Werewolf 1: Oh no! The full moon!
Werewolf 1: :shift: A--CHOO! A-CHOO! A-CHOO!
Werewolf 2: Jeez, it's the same thing every month.
Werewolf 3: I'll go get the nair. :roll:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

well i guess your right, it would be interesting seeing a werewolf having allergies. but i just dont want them to be a blowed up like when eddy's transformation during the howling, just a few sneeze and an icthy nose would do fine. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, the reason I think it's impossible for you to be allergic to yourself is because your body would constantly be reacting to that allergy, and I'm pretty sure it'd get serious pretty soon.

Take my own allergy to dust-mites.... I know many people who simply assume that I'm allergic to dust, which of course my own body produces. However it's not the dust itself but the iddle bugs that live within th dust. So as long as I keep my living area clean I'm fine, if I was allergic to the dust itself thought, no matter how clean I was I'd constantly be reacting to the allergy as my own body would produce what I was allergic to.

It's my understanding that many allergies are like this, but few people are allergic to the byproducts of thier own bodies.

Coincidentally, there are some pretty bizzare allergies out there in the world. The most extrme I've stumbled upon being an allergy to water.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

yes, it would be odd to be allergic to yourself.

Also dust consists of many things. dirt, tiny flakes of human skin, ETC.

It is said dust is at its worse indoors compared to outdoors. There is no breeze to carry it off.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Yeah, dust is largely dead human skin cells that've flaked off into the air and have become clumped up with various other household air pollutents, such as dried dirt particles.

Keeping a window open and the house clean mostly solves the problem though.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Crash course in lycanthropological immunology

Post by Scott Gardener »

The word "allergy" is abused even by the medical profession itself, so it's easy to get confused. Technically, it's a certain type of adverse immune reaction to something that could otherwise be innocuous, though it's also possible to have an allergic reaction to something already toxic.

A lot of people have the habit of saying they're "allergic" to certain foods or drugs if it causes any adverse reaction. For example, someone may say he or she is allergic to codiene if it causes nausea, vomiting, or stomach irritability--a frequent side effect of the drug, but not one caused by the immune system. Hospitals and physicians' offices have reinforced this missuse of the word "allergy" to include drug sensitivities and other adverse effects by specifically lumping them together as "allergies" when taking medical histories of patients. Doctors and nurses are actually the worst offenders about saying people are "allergic" when they aren't. Some "allergies" may in fact be normal, temporary side effects, that should not stop someone from getting a drug at a critical moment, when it could be life-saving--such as a false penicillin allergy when the patient has certain types of pneumonia. Someone with a true penicillin allergy won't just have nausea if given the medicine IV; they could die.

A true allergy shows up typically as hives, swelling, or anaphylaxis. I'll explain each.

Hives is an itching and redness of the skin, which if untreated often in hours or minutes can spread to raised whelps. It can look pretty startling, but it goes down with steroid anti-inflammatories. (By "steroid," I'm not referring to anabolic steroids abused by athletes, but compounds related to cortisol.) Benadryl and similar medicines can help temporarily stop both the itching and the redness, and often times is the only treatment needed.

Swelling from allergies is referred to as "angioedema." It often occurs in the lips or other facial features, but it can occur anywhere. If it occurs in the throat or lower airways, it can close off breathing and become life-threatening. It's also treated with steroids and/or Benadryl-relatives.

Anaphylaxis is a sudden reaction throughout the entire body, causing hives and angioedema everywhere at once. It causes both swelling of the airway halting breathing and circulatory disruption at the same time. Treatment needs to be started immediately--ambulances and the word "STAT" comes to mind. The first thing given--unless you're already in cardiopulmonary arrest (in which case, ACLS protocols, endotracheal intubation--a tube down the mouth to hold the airway open--and CPR come first)--is epinephrine, which is the exact same thing as the adrenaline one's own body produces in fight-or-flight mode. This helps reverse the reaction quickly but temporarily. Then, steroids, Benadryl, and the like can be done.

Asthma is also believed to be allergy-related in some ways, which is why it is managed in part with inhaled steroids. They're inhaled to try to limit its spread just to cells and tissues in the lower airways and lungs, because long-term use of steroids throughout the body tends to cause weight gain, a weakened immune system, and other problems.

OK, that's the known. Here's the hypothetical, applied to werewolves--or, to be politically correct, "persons with lycanthropy."

For those in storylines such as mine, where silver is of no special consequene, it's a non-issue. However, the believe that it could cause problems could be enough to cause an allergy-like reaction, resulting in hives. Belief could also cause a burning sensation, or, most likely of all, itching.

In world-settings in which silver is a problem, it could be an allergy, but if it were, there should be a good number of werewolves who don't have that allergy. Allergic problems tend to be hereditary, and are not absolute. People who have allergies, even at the risk of anaphylaxis, can be deconditioned through repeated exposure. And thus, the silver bullet might not be a "silver bullet" afterall.

More believably, silver would have to be a sensitivity of some other sort, causing something else besides allergic anaphylaxis. The most obvious plot device is that it somehow disrupts or interferes with the metabolic processes involved in shapeshifting, resulting in a lethal toxic reaction. This reaction would happen right away, regardless of whether or not the lycanthrope was actively transforming, since the enzymes, hormones, and the like would be in the body all the time, not just while changing form.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

its soo awsome having a physician in the pack :D, now nowone can say were all abunch of CRAZY people whos abssesed with werewolf's
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:its soo awsome having a physician in the pack :D, now nowone can say were all abunch of CRAZY people whos abssesed with werewolf's

I know who to go to if I need surgery. :wink:

Thats if he is a surgeon as well. :D
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:its soo awsome having a physician in the pack :D, now nowone can say were all abunch of CRAZY people whos abssesed with werewolf's

I have an aunt in Hong Kong who is a miracle worker of a plastic surgeon.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:

I have an aunt in Hong Kong who is a miracle worker of a plastic surgeon.
And all of her patients are mannequins, correct? :jester2:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Shadow Wulf:
its soo awsome having a physician in the pack , now nowone can say were all abunch of CRAZY people whos abssesed with werewolf's
Thanks, and that's all good in theory, but, your physician himself is crazy and obsessed with werewolves, so I think that puts us back at square one.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

We're ALL that way. we wouldn't be here if not.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

yes but you know alot about the human body,and a werewolf body should be somewhat similar to a humans. And whenever somebody has some thechnical issues with werewolfs( like the allergy topic at to) you always have a technical answer that makes sense. your basically like a teacher and everyone else are students, trying to research on werewolf.
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I think we're all here because we're not all there.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Well, I'm here because that's where I went.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:I think we're all here because we're not all there.
Lupin wrote:Well, I'm here because that's where I went.

Here I am because there I was then I went over yonder thinking everyone else was gone.

HUH? :?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

No matter where you go, there you are.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:No matter where you go, there you are.
Lets add you to this list, shall we? :D

http://www.figmentfly.com/bb/q32.html
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Also in Diablo the computer game theres a certian shrine or something that says 'where ever you go, there you are' when you use it.
:D
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Lupin wrote:
WolvenOne wrote:Okay, to get back on topic, would becoming a werewolf have any affect on allergies?
If you have an allergy to dogs, you'd better hope so.
There was an amusing article in THE ONION last year about a werewolf with allergies...

NEW ORLEANS—The werewolf who died while attacking a young woman Sunday (16 MAY 2004) must have been allergic to peanuts, experts said. "The wolfman crashed through the intended victim's front window, but before the accursed beast could tear her apart in a savage fury, he stepped in a bowl of honey-roasted peanuts," said Dr. Alex Price, professor of lycanthropic studies at Tulane University. Price contends that the werewolf collapsed into an anaphylactic attack and died.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm