Real Werewolves, are they out there.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.

Do you think werewolves exist?

Yes
56%
No
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
18%

Total votes: 312

Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

I hope we aren't going to take this too far or anything.
I mean you guys should express your opininons and what not. I just don't what anyone disliking the other because this is topic.

You know what I mean. :(
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Just use the term "guess" when you want to refer to someone's pet idea, and not use "theory."
Referring to a wild guess as a "theory" is as accurate as referring to Manchuria, Yunnan, and China as though they were all separate countries.
(the first two are provinces of the latter, fyi)
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Well, can't theory mean both things?
Like the big bang theory. There is really no evidence that it is true.
Its what they(meaning scientist) think what happened, but they are not sure. Isn't that the reason why its called a theory.
Oh, and the evolution theory. If you think there is enough evidence to support it, then why is it called a theory?

Do you get what I'm saying? Can't it be used both ways?
Theres really no evidence that supports the big bang theory, so why do they call it a theory.
If there is evidence that supports the evolution theory, then why do they call it a theory.
They both can't be called theorys, or can they.
Will someone please explain. :cry:
Last edited by Anook on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Anook wrote:Well, can't theory mean both things?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_mic ... _radiation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble%27s_law
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Anook wrote:Well, can't theory mean both things?
Its what they(meaning scientist) think what happened, but they are not sure. Isn't that the reason why its called a theory.
Oh, and the evolution theory. If you think there is enough evidence to support it, then why is it called a theory?

Do you get what I'm saying? Can't it be used both ways?
Theres really no evidence that supports the big bang theory, so why do they call it a theory.
If there is evidence that supports the evolution theory, then why do they call it a theory.
No. A scientific theory is not a guess, it is used for explaining how scientific facts function in nature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory#Science
The Big Bang Theory is a theory, and not a guess because both physicists and astronomers have studied the rates of red light movement of distant galaxies, and have been able to estimate, according to these rates, that everything in the Universe was in one spot, 13.7 billion years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang
Evolutionary theory is a theory, and not a fact because people have been studying and documenting living, extinct and fossil species, and their changes for the last 200 years. These documented changes, coupled with a thorough reexamination 12,000+ years of agriculture and animal husbandry have lead scientists to say that populations of species change with each generation.
Saying that a theory is another word for a guess is like arguing that Holland and the Netherlands are two different countries.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Ok, so does that mean when we all die, we don't exist anymore?
You don't get to see your family, or friends anymore?

You know, maybe we shouldn't discusse the big bang theory and theory of evolution. I should have never put that in my response. I'm starting to think I should have never responed at all.

Well, if someone has anwsers or opinions to my two questions, then please type back.

Maybe we all could be a little nicer about these responses. It sounds like some of you are starting to get upset. :|
Last edited by Anook on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Science is not a religion anymore than watching Superbowl Sunday every year is not a religion either.
Science has nothing to say about the Afterlife because Science has no way of detecting the Afterlife.
The people who started the idea that science can be dismissed by saying "it's only a theory" were a bunch of oily, disreputable, anti-intellectual politicians who seek to manipulate children's education.
-Calculon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Anook wrote:Ok, so does that mean when we all die, we done't exist anymore?
You don't get to see your family, or friends anymore?

No. It doesn't mean any of that. That's like asking 'what happened before the universe began'. Since all of the information about that was destroyed in the Big Bang, there's no way to falsify any hypothesis about it so scientists don't make any. One can't have theories where one has no data, like what happens to one's consiousness after death.
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

ok, I feel a whole lot beter now :D
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Anook wrote:ok, I feel a whole lot beter now :D
Tell that to the stupid people who made the lousy movie "Flatliners"
-Calculon
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Oh, I've seen that movie.
It was ok. :|
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

and lets not forget the cooks of the flat earth society either
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

LoyalReaperDragon wrote:and lets not forget the cooks of the flat earth society either
I'm certain that the Flat Earth Society is defunct, given as how its last known leader is presumed dead, and all of the Flat Earth Society webpages are hoaxes.
-Calculon
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Chanteclair, bitches.

Post by Set »

What's with the obsessive nitpicking about the terminology? Damn. I don't get all huffy over someone mispronouncing my name, such a piddly little thing isn't worth getting all flustered over. Neither is the theory vs. hypothesis thing. I don't see you wholeheartedly insisting that America be referred to as a republic and not a democracy, but it is. Where's the difference? Really. There's better things to waste your energy on. Like strangling your siblings. Er...I mean exercising and staying fit. Yeah. *shifty eyes*

Throw the word theory at an average joe and they'll be thinking of what all the people who didn't have a cow over the non-dictionary use of the word thought. Tell them you have a hypothesis, and they'll blink and say "A what?".

And you know what? It's the average joe that matters in the course of a language's evolution and definitions of its words. Gay and queer never used to mean homosexual. But they do now, because it was used by people for so long the dictionary writers changed the Ra damned definition for it. Like "cool" came to mean something really neat.

My point is let us use whatever term we damn well please. It's not going to kill you, or any of your scientists.

"Don't listen to Set, my precious. They tried to take you from us. But we won't let them..." *pets precious*
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Saying something is 'only a theory' is like saying "Oh, it's only a mountain", or "It's only 1,000,000 pounds".
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

It's only a duckie.

Post by Set »

:knockedout:
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

i think for once we should listen to set
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Chanteclair, bitches.

Post by Lupin »

Set wrote:Image
Language is a tool for communcation and understanding.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

LoyalReaperDragon wrote:i think for once we should listen to set
I said sit not Set.
-Calculon
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

i wasnt adressing you when set posted
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

And you failed to realize I was trying to make a joke.
-Calculon
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Well, now that I think about it.... :|
After reading Sets response, I agree with him.
We are all (well, the ones that posted) making a big deal out of nothing.
I don't think anyone is going to change their mind on the meaning of the word theory or how its usd.

I mean, some of you started to sound aggravated because of it.
Just use it the way you want to. It doesn't really matter how everyone else uses it. I should really practice what I preach. I thought you could used the word both ways (you might have already seen my response).
I never really thought about how the term was used until it was brought up here, it never bothered me, so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me now. It also sounds like some of you are starting to get stressed out about it.

I mean, I think its great that your expressing your opinion and you should keep doing that. :D
I just don't see why we should get upset.

Good response Set :D :D :D :D :D :headbanger: