Second Life

The place for anything at all...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I signed up for it after the last thread, but never actually logged in, or did anything with it.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

I signed up for an account this past week. I am Akugarou Enigma in my Second Life.

I went "in-world" last night. I have to admit, I'm pretty lost. Not so much with the interaction or control over my avatar, but with modifying my avatar's appearance.

I guess I assumed that I would be able to change my species at least, but so far I have only been able to change my human appearance (ho, humm). If anyone reading this can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Goldenwolf,
I thought I saw your avatar yesterday on FurNation Prime. It was between 5-6pm Second World time (I think). If it wasn't you, then ignore this. If it was you; sorry I didn't say anything to you. I had just "woke up" for the first time.. I was really confused and I was hoping to avoid a conversation right away (plus I didn't know your AVie's name at the time).

It's a really cool place. I will go back soon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Akugarou wrote:I signed up for an account this past week. I am Akugarou Enigma in my Second Life.

I went "in-world" last night. I have to admit, I'm pretty lost. Not so much with the interaction or control over my avatar, but with modifying my avatar's appearance.

I guess I assumed that I would be able to change my species at least, but so far I have only been able to change my human appearance (ho, humm). If anyone reading this can help me out, I would really appreciate it.
In game, it only gives you the option to modify your HUMAN avatar. The non human ones are all user-created.

That means, if you want one, you either need to BUY one from someone else in the game (with game money, or actual cash), or do what I did and make it yourself.

My Canine Avatar is basicly a costume that my avatar is wearing, which makes him appear to be something else. It is all shapes that I created and stuck together, and then "attatched" to my avatars body. It is a long, tricky and frustrating process, but creating your own unique look has it's own rewards.

...or you can do what 80% of the other non-human SL players did and buy one. Just do a search in-game for the word "Furry" and you'll find out where you can buy them. (I'd be more specific, but I don't remember)

(Be warned...even though the "Furry" sections of the game have seperated "Adults only" sections, few seem to care about these borders, and you WILL see and hear things that are not appropriate for innocent eyes and ears. ...needless to say, I choose not to spend much time there any more.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I can imagine this might become a lot more popular if it had a proper modelling system.
Sanity is relative.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Ralith Lupus wrote:I can imagine this might become a lot more popular if it had a proper modelling system.
Actually, though it is not "Easy", I find that the In-Game object modeler system is suprisingly versitile, and easier to use than BLENDER or this old 3-D modeler program I have called "RayDream 3D".

Many, if not most of the buildings, vehicles, sculptures and other objects you see around the world of the game were created using just the in-game tools.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

Vuldari wrote:In game, it only gives you the option to modify your HUMAN avatar. The non human ones are all user-created.

That means, if you want one, you either need to BUY one from someone else in the game (with game money, or actual cash), or do what I did and make it yourself.
Yeah, I should have figured that. Making one would be challenging, but time-consuming. Currently, it's not an option.
Vuldari wrote:...or you can do what 80% of the other non-human SL players did and buy one. Just do a search in-game for the word "Furry" and you'll find out where you can buy them. (I'd be more specific, but I don't remember)
Yes. I will probably try this option soon.

Vuldari wrote:(Be warned...even though the "Furry" sections of the game have seperated "Adults only" sections, few seem to care about these borders, and you WILL see and hear things that are not appropriate for innocent eyes and ears. ...needless to say, I choose not to spend much time there any more.)
So warned. :)
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Vuldari wrote:Actually, though it is not "Easy", I find that the In-Game object modeler system is suprisingly versitile, and easier to use than BLENDER or this old 3-D modeler program I have called "RayDream 3D".

Many, if not most of the buildings, vehicles, sculptures and other objects you see around the world of the game were created using just the in-game tools.
As an user of Blender, I beg to differ. Blender is certainly hard to learn, but once you've achieved that, you can do amazing things quite quickly. Take a look at some of the speed-modelling contests on the community forum, for example. The second life system appears to be designed to be more friendly than efficient. Perhaps they should allow for external programs to be used by those who want to, then uploading the models?
Sanity is relative.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Ralith Lupus wrote:
Vuldari wrote:Actually, though it is not "Easy", I find that the In-Game object modeler system is suprisingly versitile, and easier to use than BLENDER or this old 3-D modeler program I have called "RayDream 3D".

As an user of Blender, I beg to differ. Blender is certainly hard to learn, but once you've achieved that, you can do amazing things quite quickly. Take a look at some of the speed-modelling contests on the community forum, for example. The second life system appears to be designed to be more friendly than efficient. Perhaps they should allow for external programs to be used by those who want to, then uploading the models?
That's what I meant.
It's "user friendly"...meaning, it doesn't require weeks of training before you can create anything cool with it. You just set up shapes and start messing with them. You can even add gravity effects, hinges, lighting and other intaractive effects to your objects. (Like making a drivable car, or a real flying jet-plane with turning wheels, moving parts, etc.)

...and you CAN import models and animations from foreign programs into the game. (3D Studio Max, Maya, etc.) ...but I've not bothered to learn how, because I do not have any of those $$ programs.

It even mentions it in some of the "How to start modeling" tutorials in the game, suggesting that you use such programs for the placement of special textures on objects, or the implementation of custom character animations. Though you can apply any texture you want to your objects using the in-game tools(including ones uploaded form your PC), you don't have much controll on how they are positioned on the object.

I am not aware of any way to make unique character animations without the aid of external software. (thus, that option is closed to me.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Blender can export to the formats of 3DSMAX, Maya, etc, so that's not a problem. Maybe I should look into that.
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I'm debating whether or not I should dabble with this....
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yabble dabble all you want. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Crimson_Alchemist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ROUGE

Post by Crimson_Alchemist »

wow that is awesome.
I wil kill those who seek to kill me.
Crimson_Alchemist
Legendary
Legendary

i wish i could draw werewolves like that
Crimson_Alchemist
Legendary
Legendary

well im tired bye bye guys.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im gonna slap you when we get back to school. :P
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

i will SO get an account as soon as i have a computer capable of handling the programs and RAM and all that. damn my hand-me-down 98 piece of crap laptop. but, of course, if i lose this one, i'm royally screwed. i need a job and a new laptop!
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

About my Second Life:

Well, I'm signed up. My name is Renorei Mauriac, any of you can feel free to IM me and we can hang out. I'm still pretty new to avatar modifying, but I have succeeded in making a nice tail, a pair of hooves, and a pair of horns. I have white skin, a huge mane of grey hair, and I'm seven feet tall:lol:. I'm still more human than animal, though. But, nonetheless, I've received compliments on my unique appearance. I may not be as talented as others at avatar making, but I certainly think I'm a bit more original.

Having said that, I'm still probably going to work on making a few animal avatars. I'm currently experimenting with making a male lion avatar, even though my other avatar is female.

I recently discovered a place that offers 10 L$ per 10 minute dance pads (for those unfamiliar to Second Life, that's fantastic), so I've accumulated a bit of cash, so now maybe I can afford to maybe buy some land. I am totally looking forward to building my own little house :D .

There are a few places in Second Life that I've come to love. One of them is the Ivory Tower Sandbox. Sandboxes are basically places where you can go and build anything you want. I'm not sure why I like this one, but I do. My other favorite place would probably be the Succubus Club. It's a small club, mainly goth (totally unlike my Real Life self, but whatever). I like it because it's usually the same crowd everytime, so I get to know people a little. Those who consider yourselves 'innocent', be warned, these people aren't at all.

I want to learn to play Slingo, Tringo, and that pizza game, but so far I haven't had the chance. Also, I'm trying to get a job so I can have a regular salary and get to know some cool coworkers. We shall see.