Where would a Werewolf 'Sanctuary' be located?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
shey
Legendary
Legendary

Post by shey »

northern oklahoma would be good its close to a lot of rual areas but i live in southern oklahoma and we have a few places that would be good like the wichata(i think thats how its spelled)mountans it close to the city lawton and it like 23 miles away but all you would have to worry about is maybe a farmer with a gun but it not likely i hered that the people who own it are just rich people trying to be farmers but their are local legend that up in northern oklahoma a lot of freaky stuff happens a lot of stuff i think their was a werewolf sighting their :? but i might not be right but their are bigfoot sighting all the times but the south would be good but not the gulf its not that safe here lately
Leighlia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stalking the Shadows

Post by Leighlia »

For a werewolf that wanted to go almost completely feral, someplace like Alaska or western Canada may appeal to them greately. But then there are the city folks, who live for the concrete jungle. Would they be tempted to trade it all in for the silence of the woods or wide open spaces?

Perhaps they would prefer to hide in the open. San Francisco, like The One and Only said, or Hollywood, where the weird is part of everyday life. If someone sees you, claim your in costume and couldn't catch a cab to the studio.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

The werewolves are all coming from -

That's right, Blame Canada!

Seriously, it seems to be the prevailing opinion that there are several places in the world that are pretty sparsely populated, with good roaming and hunting grounds. So any large wilderness area - Canada, Northwest US, Northeast US, parts of Europe and Russia. (My own story put the characters in New England area).

I started to say that WWs, being human based, would want to be near their own kind. But the more I think about it, WWs are their own kind. The thought of small, isolated WW communities seems much more reasonable. Still have the internet and frozen dinners when you didn't want to go hunting. The local movie theatre and pizza joint. But a nice large wilderness to go play in, and isolation to keep the group safe. And that would be anywhere in the world where there was sufficient room.

How does work?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Silver wrote:The werewolves are all coming from -

Seriously, it seems to be the prevailing opinion that there are several places in the world that are pretty sparsely populated, with good roaming and hunting grounds. So any large wilderness area - Canada, Northwest US, Northeast US, parts of Europe and Russia. (My own story put the characters in New England area).

I started to say that WWs, being human based, would want to be near their own kind. But the more I think about it, WWs are their own kind. The thought of small, isolated WW communities seems much more reasonable. Still have the internet and frozen dinners when you didn't want to go hunting. The local movie theatre and pizza joint. But a nice large wilderness to go play in, and isolation to keep the group safe. And that would be anywhere in the world where there was sufficient room.

How does work?

Sounds good to me.

Anyone one for Pizza? :pizza:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

canadian pizza is indeed yummy. *steals fig's piece of pizza*
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Silver wrote:The werewolves are all coming from -

How does work?
Everyone seems to have some good ideas on this :D
I definately think rural areas, particularly the Northeast US, (I'm in Maine) Canada, Northwest US, parts of Europe and Russia would be excellent for small WW communities, and like Silver said, a wilderness area to enjoy and isolation to keep the group safe.

On another note, WW that don't like the rural life/country whathave you would have to become rather skilled at controling their Lycantropy if they want to hide "in plain sight" like in the city or in densely populated areas. The city WW would no doubt have to take a day or two off to possibly head out to a small isolated WW community to :shift: and play Werewolf games :P

so kinda have 3 sorts of WW, Rural, Urban and City
Rural kind would enjoy living in isolated communities of other WWs, and could more easily take in new members to the pack, any inexperianced or just bitten Werewolves would probably live here, and be able to practice shifting freely

Urban would more likely be one or a couple family groups of WWs living on the outside of the city, would be wary of those living close by and these would be mostly born WWs that have experiance and control over their abilities, so to prevent any snooping human neighbors from accidently catching Werewolf in gestalt form.

and City WWs would more likely be lone-wolf sort that may be a part of a loosely knit pack of WWs that would have to be very experienced at their abilities, able to completely resist the pull of the moon and not have to shift into Gestalt form, because you know it wouldn't be good if a WW lawyer shifted while in the bathroom and shredded a $2000 suit, then lock themself in till it had gone back to normal then would have to worry about getting back home without getting arrested for indesent exposure.

There are probably a few rich WWs that definately want to have sanctuaries for WWs to go without worry of humans, and getting ahold of a few scattered Islands ( like the Aleutian Islands or any number in Penobscot bay) but the trouble with islands are those darn tourists, so making preserved 'Wildlife sactuaries' ( Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge could be one, the whole term 'leave no trace' could be a code word for WWs that its a place WWs go) would probably be a good spot to create safezones for WWs. And Wilderness areas like in the appalachian mountains or on this map http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS

If I was a werewolf, i'd think the Wrangell-Saint Elias Wilderness be the top my list of fun places to visit and run around in Gestalt form, nearly 10millon acres of unsoiled land up in Alaska, bordering canada :woof:
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

vrikasatma wrote: Another possibility, if we're going international, the most likely candidate IMO is Mongolia. A little larger than Alaska, and only 2.2 million people, 98% of whom are nomadic. Sure, wolf-hunting is legal there, but the chances of running into someone by pure chance are pretty slim.
By the way, Chinese folklore says that most werewolves in China are of Mongolian ancestry. This is pretty typical of Chinese folklore, where everyone except the ethnic Han is viewed as non-human anyway.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

I am going to go back to the original word "Sanctuary", meaning a safe haven, I would suppose. I'm also going to stick with a place for multiple WWs to go, because if we're going to say for only one, then any apartment that's relatively sound proof would do for a WW with control, and that's just to broad a brush.

So. The Santuary would be any large rural wilderness area, and there are several around the world. There would also be small communities near cities, that have chosen relatively isolated suburban areas. Any citiy santuaries would be perhaps whole apartment/condo areas that are walled off and extremely private. However these would have to be supplemented by a large park or wooded area nearby.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Silver wrote:I am going to go back to the original word "Sanctuary", meaning a safe haven, I would suppose. I'm also going to stick with a place for multiple WWs to go, because if we're going to say for only one, then any apartment that's relatively sound proof would do for a WW with control, and that's just to broad a brush.

So. The Santuary would be any large rural wilderness area, and there are several around the world. There would also be small communities near cities, that have chosen relatively isolated suburban areas. Any citiy santuaries would be perhaps whole apartment/condo areas that are walled off and extremely private. However these would have to be supplemented by a large park or wooded area nearby.
Thats got to be one expensive apartment if its going to be "sound proof."

I used to live in one and I can hear everything my neighbor does. From the TV, to his alarm clock going off. :roll:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:Thats got to be one expensive apartment if its going to be "sound proof."

I used to live in one and I can hear everything my neighbor does. From the TV, to his alarm clock going off. :roll:
It depends on the build quality of the apartments. I don't really have a problem with that where I live.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:Thats got to be one expensive apartment if its going to be "sound proof."

It depends on the build quality of the apartments. I don't really have a problem with that where I live.
Thats because you live in the corner. Try living in one where you have one above, below, left, and to the right of you.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Silverclaw wrote:I think the wilderness of Canada would be best. :) Forests, open space, animals to hunt, lakes and rivers, not too much people around, ect. Sounds like one of the better places to live :D
Not to mention the lack of human contact for miles.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Yeah, Canada would be ideal. Most cities are near the border. Up north it gets colder, but you won't see many humans. If you do there's always more forest. Plus it's a beautiful place. (never been there, only seen pictures)
I guess being far civilization might be a problem in some cases though.

Edit: oooo and you'd get to hunt moose! :evil:
Sidenote: My freshman biology teacher tried to tell my class that the plural of moose was meese, even made it a question on our chapter test. :roll:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shaun wrote:Yeah, Canada would be ideal. Most cities are near the border. Up north it gets colder, but you won't see many humans. If you do there's always more forest. Plus it's a beautiful place. (never been there, only seen pictures)
I guess being far civilization might be a problem in some cases though.
Cold isn't too much of a problem for wolves.

Sidenote: My freshman biology teacher tried to tell my class that the plural of moose was meese, even made it a question on our chapter test. :roll:
pfft. Everyone knows that that's the plural for 'mouse.' :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Shaun wrote:

pfft. Everyone knows that that's the plural for 'mouse.' :P

moose? meese? mouse? meese? mice?

Ok...hot shot. Whats the plural for the computer mouse? Mouses? meeses? mice?

Come on professor "I know it all." :crazy:

Tell me the answer. :jester:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:Tell me the answer. :jester:

forty-two
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:Tell me the answer. :jester:

forty-two
nice. I'll go to the computer store and pick up a wireless 42. :roll:
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

It's mice.
No.., meese!.
No....., mouses!
:duckbomb: :lol:
anarchy
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: the anime junkie

Post by anarchy »

well, its been a long time i haven't been here.....
the forum's just too big for me to be an active member.......
but i'll try to keep posting from time to time...

i would say north of quebec if the forest wouldn't be ''MASsACRED'' by the big bad american compagny........^^

i would say northern canada, around yellowknife, where there's still forest left.

i think that an animal such as a werewolf, which need HUGE amount of energy could not live long on an isle, he would quickly run out of ressources and then die....
Faolan Ruadh
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: Snarkus Mirificus

Post by Faolan Ruadh »

There are places in nearly every state and region in the US and Canada where you have tracts of wilderness within relatively close proximity to civilization. For example, I live in Northwest Georgia, where we have the Cohutta Wilderness, a 40,000+ acre, federally protected wilderness area (the largest one east of the Mississippi in the U.S.) that's kept isolated by the difficult terrain- but the outside edge of it is no more than an hour's drive from Chattanooga, Tennessee, or two-and-a-half hours from Atlanta, Georgia.
"Live like you'll die tomorrow.
Fight like there is no death."
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

I would picture a huge estate with a ton of acres of land.

There would be a large acreage of flat land in the back yard and the front would be hidden by forest that would stretch around the sides and to the ends of the back yard. The forest would stretch for miles.

There would be a nice sized river flowing through it aswell a small pond inexcessible to bipeds.

And to put the proverbial cherry on top the whole thing would be set ontop of an old coal mine. Giving access to hundreds of tunnels in case of emergency. But of course it would only be thirty minutes from the nearest town.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

Leighlia wrote:For a werewolf that wanted to go almost completely feral, someplace like Alaska or western Canada may appeal to them greately. But then there are the city folks, who live for the concrete jungle. Would they be tempted to trade it all in for the silence of the woods or wide open spaces?

Perhaps they would prefer to hide in the open. San Francisco, like The One and Only said, or Hollywood, where the weird is part of everyday life. If someone sees you, claim your in costume and couldn't catch a cab to the studio.
Two out of the four places I was thinking of moving too
wolfbuddy
Custom Title: Confused Loner

Post by wolfbuddy »

I think it should be in a deep forest were lots of wolves live :D! I wish there was a santuary near me!
The Truth Will Be Revealed!!!
smash

Post by smash »

Sanctuary for me is a safe place. That safe place can be a non-physical place. The sanctuary can simply be the pack. The Pack watches out for one anoother. In human form, werewolves walk among humans, and can amass influence, and control over factors in the human world. A strong pack is a safe pack. Strong packs will have members in points of influence in human society where they can cover tehir tracks, and protect one another. For instance, a small town (Like the one I live in in the mountains) could have a pack wher emembers are Sheriff's Deputies, firemen, grocery and drug store owners, and other prominent members of the community. Pack members know one another, they can cover for each other, provide for each other, and teach each other.

The wolf is the pathfinder, provider, and teacher. These tenets of the wolf are the mechanisms that make a pack work.

With these considerations, I can fully imagine that the dynamics of a well established pack can ensure a sense of sanctuary, and pack longevity in any part of human society, wether that be in the wilderness, or a big city.

Survival of the fittest, and a stronger pack would be borne of a city pack, simply due to the odds of survival being that much less in a werewolf's favor.

I could also see stronger city packs or werewolves failing in a wilderness pack enviornment fue to differences in background, just like a city kid thrust into a rural school would not last long in the social circles there if he/she was not adaptive to the changes.
black-wolf-
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by black-wolf- »

I would choose this beautiful forest thats 15 min away from me....its BEAUTIFUL!!! untouched by the hands of man...
plus it goes for miles in every direction...that is, for all the wers in australia :lol:
Let your wolfen side roam