Werewolves and Old Age

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

CrewWolf wrote:
Renorei wrote: After all, shifting is a natural thing for werewolves to do, why should it be so hard?
You could ask the same thing about human pregnancy. Sometimes...natural things are just hard.
Typically, natural things that happen (well, to humans at least) frequently aren't terribly hard. Shifting is something that would happen on a very frequent basis, whereas pregnancy doesn't happen too often.
bloodwolf_345
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Polywere Supreme

Post by bloodwolf_345 »

Wouldn't the regenerative abilities of a werewolf prevent the aging process from taking hold. Of course the Werewolf would age, but he/she would still look and act as a 20 or 30 year old when he/she is close to 100.
I believe for a Werewolf to actually feel the effects of aging, and given the regenerative abilities, the "golden years" of a werewolf would be when it is closer to 200 or 300. The regenerative process would give the Werewolf extreme longevity. I believe that a werewolf could live to be at least 500 or at most 600. That would be long enough to see and sire many generations of children. He/she would be able to watch 15 generation grow up.
A fractured psyche is not always a bad thing. In the world of Werewolves and Otherkin, many can exist in one host very peacefully. I am a great example of that. I have 6 different Fursonas
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

bloodwolf_345 wrote:Wouldn't the regenerative abilities of a werewolf prevent the aging process from taking hold. Of course the Werewolf would age, but he/she would still look and act as a 20 or 30 year old when he/she is close to 100.
I believe for a Werewolf to actually feel the effects of aging, and given the regenerative abilities, the "golden years" of a werewolf would be when it is closer to 200 or 300. The regenerative process would give the Werewolf extreme longevity. I believe that a werewolf could live to be at least 500 or at most 600. That would be long enough to see and sire many generations of children. He/she would be able to watch 15 generation grow up.
I guess Im inclined to go with Bloodwolf on that (Perhaps living until a later age). But that again as I said depends on my story I'm writing.

As for acting the age though, aging has nothing to do with how you act unless it's hormonal imbalances and all that puberty and menopause stuff. To me, the way you act is determined by your experiences in life; so a werewolf of 100 may look 20, but they will act mature and older depending on the sorts of experiences. Someone who is treated like a child for 100 years and knows nothing of the outside world...will act much like a child. Someone who has suffered and/or seen the world and many things in the world at 20 years of age, will act older. Those are extreme examples, but yeah.

On saying this, depending on the story I am thinking of or writing, if the wolf naturally grows up slower, and is a different species and their brains work differently (Assuming in the story they are different species), then they may not hit puberty until 25 years of age, or even 50-100 years of age depending on how long they live. But for this they'd have to mature very very slowly.

I left my beer out there. -Sighs- I have to get off my fluffy tail and get it.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
mexwerewolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by mexwerewolf »

In my opinion, the WW regenerative abilities should not avoid the aging process. All creatures have regenerative abilities, cells continue to duplicate and later die. The aging process is also coded in our DNA. If not, we would become like a Cancer to nature, as we would totally overpopulate the world in a few generations.

My conclusion, no matter how fast the regeneration abilities in a WW are, the aging process should go on, slower perhaps, but still.

And about werewolves living up to 120 years, that means that a 60 year old werewolf in human form will look like a 40 year old human?
Howling Werewolf