You want to make a PACK themed werewolf game? Here's an idea

The place for anything at all...
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

To everyone who has PM'd me: here's the "lowdown"... (if there are no objections, that is.)

My goal is to have an FPS style game, where you have the ability to shapeshift between human, gesalt, and Full wolf, with the combat abilities of each.
The antagonist is going to be a little sketchy. So far, there's a notion between a group of evil werewolves out to stop us (done to death), or a big corporation that wants to stop what good we've done (also done to death). Anyone with a semi-fresh to fresh idea for the antagonist is welcome to contribute.
Other than that, I've got a (gargantuan) suburbia location for an idea. The only problem with it would probably be figuring out what to do with all the rooms.
I also have quite a few side items set. (I've even included wereduckies :D )
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Hey i can come with a very good story for a game. I just need information on the characters for the game and some time to think. :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

hmm....vampires? Werewolf hunters? Your right, semi-fresh ideas are hard to come up with :P
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moon_Lover »

All I need is an ends. After that, I can provide the story's means.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

A FPS game with playable quadraped wolf forms?

As cool as that sounds, even 'Professional' game designers struggle with creating satisfying melee combat in FPS perspective environments, even with regular bipedal characters...nevermind trying to figure out how to do it with Quadraped Wolves.

That could be really awesome if pulled off right...but not exactly the kind of thing I would reccomend attempting as ones first experience in game design.

You need more experience for something like that.

What I would reccomend would be to start small. Find a fun game that allows you to mod-in custom characters, and simply focus on creating the unique character models for what you want. After you have succeeded in making them function in the game engine, figure out what kind of gameplay mechanics you want to have. Take some time to try to make those mechanics work within the gameplay maps allready within the core game you are modding. Once you have the abilities and actions you want the characters to have functioning properly...THEN start working on creating custom maps for the game to take place in.

Only after you have succeeded in creating a single stage gameplay experience (single or multi-player...whatever it is you are trying to create) that works and is fun, should you move forward and use all of the tools and experience you have collected up to that point to make an entire game out of it.

That is my advice anyway. ...take it one step at a time.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your offer to include me as a character within the game (being a Top-10 poster), I'm not even sure what form I would appear in for the game. ...as my true human self? ...or as a Werewolf avatar I would make up to represent me? I really don't have one yet.

"Vuldari" is actually an 18-foot tall (30-feet stretched from nose to tail) Sunset colored Fox-Dragon With feathered wings, ( Spiritual Father of the Twins Jin and Kaji )...so obviously that is out of the question.

Hmmm...I guess we'll have to wait and see what you end up trying to make before I could know what kind of character I would best be represented as.

...I allways wanted to be in a video game...Image
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I thought you were a fox. :?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I thought you were a fox. :?
No ... I'm a Human Silly. Image

jk - I know what you mean now. I just don't usually think of my Avatar as actually "ME". It was actually a brown/grey wolf with glasses for a while too.

Vuldari the Were-Fox hunh? ...Groooovy... Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Idea?

Post by RedEye »

Try this idea. The massively huge enemy is a corporation...a Biotech corporation. They are currently kidnapping and "testing to destruction" werewolves for the Health incentives, the drug resistance, the Disease resistance...namely all the Werewolf Goodies but with the Werewolf filtered out, and having a very limited effective life (for repeat sales).
This Corporation employs Hunters, to identify and kidnap were's, as well as War Dogs: Temporary partial were's for similar capturing strategies.
The Corporation is also using Bounty Hunters for a "Dead or Alive" capture program.
Other risks: possible Corrupted Police, Hospitals, and Doctors.
You protect: Your Pack, your family, your People. You have a chance at recruiting people for Kindred (WW Friends and allies)
Kindred can Cross Over (become Were') if certain criteria are met.
All of this is in a book that I'm looking to have published, and I grant full license to this game. Since this IS under the semi-protection of an existing story, you won't need to worry about others moving in and stealing it if it gets popular: It's licensed to the Pack. Period.
Will that help?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Vuldari wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:I thought you were a fox. :?
No ... I'm a Human Silly. Image

jk - I know what you mean now. I just don't usually think of my Avatar as actually "ME". It was actually a brown/grey wolf with glasses for a while too.

Vuldari the Were-Fox hunh? ...Groooovy... Image
Hehehe well everytime I see that avatar I go "Vuldari". Even the expression on the fox's face suits you. Thoughtful. Considering of everything that is written on the thread.

------

I'm unsure about a character to represent me, either. It'd have to be linked to me on here but my username is a real, famous person. And I'd want to be a girl, since I -am- a girl. I think obviously a guitarist werewolf, maybe just with the odd nickname of Kirk, because hell, I get called that in real life, it's not actually an internet nickname (A friend of mine gave it to me without my consent really. I'd be happy with any guitarist I like as a nickname, even though they're all guys so I guess it's not that bad even though it's annoying in public. Really annoying.).

I guess the wolf would look like me in real life so brown to black fur, hazel eyes, not tall (Gestalt form 5'6 perhaps 5'10, Im only 5'2), with a leather jacket or something. My human form has a monkey tail (Of course not in real life, I wish I did hehe), but I presume that'd be hard to pull off so it's not important.

My weapon of choice? A guitar of course! Lightning bolts and music notes with razor edges from the headstock, and noise! To deafen enemies with my blistering solos! Muahahaha!

I don't know how elaborate this can be, I'm assuming simple, but I know nothing about video game creation (I just know how to play them hehehe)! It's an honour to have been asked, though, thankyou.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Machine-Whisperer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: At an Observational status

Post by Machine-Whisperer »

if you could get the engine running, I'd be happy to give you a few of my already made models.
Bah... Stupid Case sensitive Email. Lets try this again !
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

wait, how are you going to fund this? and is it going to be one of those massive multiplayers or what, and how is the pack going to be represented?
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moon_Lover »

Sheesh, I don't post for a bit, and the thing's swamped. Good. :D
Vuldari wrote:As cool as that sounds, even 'Professional' game designers struggle with creating satisfying melee combat in FPS perspective environments, even with regular bipedal characters...nevermind trying to figure out how to do it with Quadraped Wolves.

That could be really awesome if pulled off right...but not exactly the kind of thing I would reccomend attempting as ones first experience in game design.

You need more experience for something like that.

What I would reccomend would be to start small. Find a fun game that allows you to mod-in custom characters, and simply focus on creating the unique character models for what you want. After you have succeeded in making them function in the game engine, figure out what kind of gameplay mechanics you want to have. Take some time to try to make those mechanics work within the gameplay maps allready within the core game you are modding. Once you have the abilities and actions you want the characters to have functioning properly...THEN start working on creating custom maps for the game to take place in.

Only after you have succeeded in creating a single stage gameplay experience (single or multi-player...whatever it is you are trying to create) that works and is fun, should you move forward and use all of the tools and experience you have collected up to that point to make an entire game out of it.

That is my advice anyway. ...take it one step at a time.
*Nods* Understandable. That was, essentially, the pathway that I had intended to take initially, but I appreciate the effort you made to express it.
Within the first part of the game, my goal is to have a "tutorial" with which you would be able to brush up on the abilities of the three forms (Human, Gesalt, and Full). That way, you would be able to implement a learning situation for the player, and a field test for the programmers, seeing how it would be working in that environment.
Vuldari wrote:As for your offer to include me as a character within the game (being a Top-10 poster), I'm not even sure what form I would appear in for the game. ...as my true human self? ...or as a Werewolf avatar I would make up to represent me? I really don't have one yet.

"Vuldari" is actually an 18-foot tall (30-feet stretched from nose to tail) Sunset colored Fox-Dragon With feathered wings, ( Spiritual Father of the Twins Jin and Kaji )...so obviously that is out of the question.
*Grins* Why not? It would probably be more for the "dramatic moment" parts, but it would be possible to include even that, after you got past the programming. Realistically, since you have carried the fox avatar long enough, it might be more practical to use the werefox.

RedEye wrote:...
Will that help?
*Nods* Most definitely. The introductory can include a few "horror" scenes, helping get the players connected at an emotional level, and it's not really based off of any current enterprises. I love it. :D

Kirk Hammett wrote:Hehehe well everytime I see that avatar I go "Vuldari". Even the expression on the fox's face suits you. Thoughtful. Considering of everything that is written on the thread.
Quite true, that.

------
Kirk Hammett wrote:I guess the wolf would look like me in real life so brown to black fur, hazel eyes, not tall (Gestalt form 5'6 perhaps 5'10, Im only 5'2), with a leather jacket or something. My human form has a monkey tail (Of course not in real life, I wish I did hehe), but I presume that'd be hard to pull off so it's not important.
(Monkey tail? Oh well...)
Hm...ok, I'll see what can be done. An idea is beginning to form...
Kirk Hammett wrote:My weapon of choice? A guitar of course! Lightning bolts and music notes with razor edges from the headstock, and noise! To deafen enemies with my blistering solos! Muahahaha!
That does tend to move more towards the Fantasy genre, and I was honestly aiming for more of a Sci-fi, but the idea itself has potential.
Kirk Hammett wrote:I don't know how elaborate this can be, I'm assuming simple, but I know nothing about video game creation (I just know how to play them hehehe)! It's an honour to have been asked, though, thankyou.
For now, this is fairly simple, but we'll see where it goes...myself included. :D
Machine-Whisperer wrote:if you could get the engine running, I'd be happy to give you a few of my already made models.
PM me. We can discuss specs.
Fenrir wrote:wait, how are you going to fund this? and is it going to be one of those massive multiplayers or what, and how is the pack going to be represented?
Hm. Fund in what aspect? And to me, an MMORPG would just be a really...biiiig...headache. For someting like this, I'm intending on a PC single player at the moment. That's more of what my coding types lean towards. Though I might try to take a look at MMO for a thought. Though the server would not be easy to acquire.
And how do you mean by represented?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

I'm a level designer/ modeler, and practically have a movie/art studio in my bedroom. If you want me to do some levels or character models for you feel free to ask. However, I'm very skittish about doing freebies. If you want me to help you with the art aspect of things, send me screenshots of what you have so far, and I'll decide if I should spend some time on it.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moon_Lover »

Your help would be most appreciated. However, this project, as such, is still currently in the concept process. I myself only took the initiative as of yesterday. Don't worry, though. When there's an adequate level of design done, then you will be contacted.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

You know, you guys might want to experiment with doing mods for games that allow it: I'm thinking of Doom I and II (me wants a sprite werewolf) and games like Morrowind and Oblivion (werewolves are already in MW, though). Oblivion especially. TC mods are really hard to do.
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moon_Lover »

Hmm...
Morrowind? Maybe. I used to do mods for it, and it wasn't that difficult. Looking at it, it is possible to do it in that game, the only problem would be the fact that you would haveto ompletely start over with a new master file. Oblivion, I have no experience with. So I'd have to see it first before I'd say anything. Same for the Dooms. I'd seen bits and pieces with it, but never really looked into it.
(The biggest problem with morrowind, as I can see, would be the combat. It would be possible, but it would severely hinder it.)
Though that brings up another question: what about magic?
Feel free to cite your Yeas and Nays. But please do express your reasoning, whichever way your opinion sways.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Oblivion allows entire separate worlds, so that's not a problem; you can delete everything.

You don't HAVE to make a TC mod. My point is, make a mod for a game, and see how it works out. TESCSIV has the capability to make entire new games. It also runs on a MUCH better engine than does Morrowind. And it's better than TESCSIII.

Also Oblivion has GREAT first-person melee combat.

Magic? I don't know, but if you ever need to implement it, Oblivion would do just fine for it.

My point is, a mod for oblivion would teach you how to do it and would be releasable as just a mod: and then, if you were confident in your and your team's skills, could be made into a total conversion new game thing.
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moon_Lover »

Understood and appreciated. :D
Now to make sure I have enough computer for it. :P
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Keep in mind it need not BE oblivion that you use; any sufficiently developed game editor will allow you to create whole new games. It's just that TESCSIV is a good one.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

The Original Half-Life game engine might be a good option as well.
(If someone mentioned it allready, I missed it.)

True, it's out-dated, but it's tried and true, and it has been modded to kingdom come by countless others into many different kinds of games, besides just shooters. (I know I've heard of an impressive racing game mod running on that engine).

Because it is so well known, there is surely more than enough information available on the internet about how to mod it efficiently and effectively, and how to make it do what you want it to do.

Also...it is fairly cheap for any of us to buy a half life game to get the rights to play a game on it's engine. If you used the ES:IV engine, only people who own a copy of the game would be able to play the mod...not to mention many members computers just are not up to the task.
( if anyone here has a computer that is not able to play original Half-Life engine games, they have my pity)

It may not be as pretty or as versitile as the "Oblivion" engine, or the HL2 "Source" engine ... but I think it may be one of our best options.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Moon_Lover wrote:
Vuldari wrote:As for your offer to include me as a character within the game (being a Top-10 poster), I'm not even sure what form I would appear in for the game. ...as my true human self? ...or as a Werewolf avatar I would make up to represent me? I really don't have one yet.

*Grins* Why not? It would probably be more for the "dramatic moment" parts, but it would be possible to include even that, after you got past the programming. Realistically, since you have carried the fox avatar long enough, it might be more practical to use the werefox.
No...I agree. For what it seems you have in mind, a Were-Fox would make much more sense. Also, I have been using Foxes as my Avatar Image for 90% of the time I have been here, and that association has become more significant since I started using my Fox Avicons as well.

I was just mentally stuck on the origin of my avitar name...that's all.

Of course...now my mind is boggled on just what ROLE I possibly could play in this (still theoretical) game. As a Foe to be defeated? As a Playable character? As an annoying little Fox that follows you around at the beginning of the game, telling you how to play (Like "Navi" from Zelda:OoT)? ...or maybe a character that has to be rescued from the fortress of the Bad Guys?

So many possibilities. Image

*Ponders*

=^.^'= ~
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

i love zelda:OoT!

anyways, i think your character woudl make a good plot element (like what you said about about beign rescued from the bad guys), who then becomes a playable character that you have unlocked.

so, when you save the were-fox from the bad guys, restart the level and you now have the option of playing as vuldari!

that's what i think, anyways.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moon_Lover »

We'll see. :D
For me, it's more like AB and how he had formed the pack for Freeborn. I have a fairly good idea so far, but I'm definitely taking suggestions.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

The guitar weapon was just a joke :lol:
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moon_Lover »

I figured. But who says that you can't have unorthodox weapons in orthodox items? (Look at D&D, and you'll find plenty of intriguing and/or ridiculous items created by people)