Heart attacks? Strokes?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

BlackWolfDS wrote:Bateria don't infect other cells, they just do some nasty things. Viruses on the other paw.....do.
As for objects getting though...how could they? If there aren't any receptor protiens, there's really no other way for those objects to get in. Unless there's some really bizzare way we didn't even know of. AH the beauty of Biology, everything changes with time.
My mistake. :grinp:
It could be that the receptors have a minor variance that the infection (virus or bacteria) detect, but doesn't affect the ability to pull in objects. :roll: Oy. Too true.
BlackWolfDS wrote:It's ok :D
Hmmm, you can't really compare Aids to cold viruses, they're different by the way they take over a host cell. Viruses use receptors and Aid cells....I believe they sort of break into the cell they want to infect. But then again, we don't have any hard info on WWs, so anything is possible at this point.
I know. It was just an example.
BlackWolfDS wrote:Look at what I said in an eariler post.
I believe you're referring to this:
BlackWolfDS wrote:That's a possibility. It could clog the capillaries or it could just move though them and out into the blood, where it will be absorberd then disposed of. Everything that has to do with blood will increase in size, due to the need of blood in certain areas. We must all keep in mind that this is just brain storming. Nothing about werewolves will be for certain until one shows up and is tested.....that sounded really cruel for some reason..... :(
The problem that I found was that cholesterol, as I recall, conglomerates. Gradually, yes, but it still does so. In that case, it would essentially be almost the same thing as animal fat in uncooked meat. It's a fairly hard substance, and it doesn't bend too well. The results are as before.
At least, from what I can tell...
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Moon_Lover wrote: The problem that I found was that cholesterol, as I recall, conglomerates. Gradually, yes, but it still does so. In that case, it would essentially be almost the same thing as animal fat in uncooked meat. It's a fairly hard substance, and it doesn't bend too well. The results are as before.
At least, from what I can tell...
Hmm, if cholesterol is hard and sticks to the wall of a capillary....then when someone changes it will tear at the capillary wall when the capillaries grow. and thus would do some damage. The flip to that though, is the possibility that a werewolf heals increadibly fast. If something inside the body is damaged, it should heal quicker, right?
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

My immediate thought on that would be excess internal bleeding. The thought right after that is that the cholesterol is fairly slow to stick. So it might catch on the capillary wall, but it would also remove easily. On a double-check, cholesterol seems more like wax.
Another thought that comes to mind is some sort of "natural" cholesterol anti-coagulant. That would be able to help fix the situation somewhat.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Cholesterol is normally carried in and out of the body by carrier molecules called lipoproteins. (It's these molecules, LDL and HDL, not just cholesterol itself, that is commonly branded "good cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol.") I could imagine these things working overtime, but it would be easier for them to do their work before the first shift, and then give the person canine physiology afterwards, so that plaques don't build up again.

Anyone at this point picturing those cool graphics from House or CSI, showing blobs floating by corpuscles in arteries?

Anyway, aside from the work load of breaking down plaques, the bloodstream is aready going to be very chaotic, and it's going to take a bit of physiologic miracle-working to manage other things such as all the calcium that's going to have to be relocated when bones stretch and change length. As a side note, canines normally have cholesterol around 300 or so. So, a werewolf might constantly get prescriptions for Lipitor and stern warnings to lay off the red meat by well-meaning physicians.

This doesn't mean that therians who identify with werewolves should leave their cholesterol levels untreated or purposefully drive up their cholesterol, hoping to get that much closer to wolves. (Or heart attacks.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Moon_Lover wrote:My immediate thought on that would be excess internal bleeding. The thought right after that is that the cholesterol is fairly slow to stick. So it might catch on the capillary wall, but it would also remove easily. On a double-check, cholesterol seems more like wax.
Another thought that comes to mind is some sort of "natural" cholesterol anti-coagulant. That would be able to help fix the situation somewhat.
Wait, do humans produce this "anti-coagulant" to get rid of Cholesterol? Oh and if this is true and the colesterol is removed, then it shouldn't come back in future changes. No wounder the first change is hell. :lol:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Bacteria don't infect things, they just (some of them) make toxins or wastes that kill your cells.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Kzinistzerg wrote:Bacteria don't infect things, they just (some of them) make toxins or wastes that kill your cells.
And when they do that inside a body, that's what an infection is :P
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image