Saddam Hussein Executed

The place for anything at all...
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

nachoboy wrote:hmm. yeah. i understand, but i'm not happy that someone was killed. i'm not all that big on executions, knamean?
Not a fan of executions myself, but come on, dude, this is Saddam Hussein, f*** him.

Lupine:
Heh, that's pretty funny, but I prefer Stephen Colbert's "AW, SNAP!" response to the New York Times's "Good Noose".
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

lupine wrote:first of all, I will say sorry for the bad taste.

I will probably get strung up myself for this but i found this picture of Saddams cat and had to post it.

It is kind of funny tho

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Sadly, we haven't seen the end of it. The country of Iran is on the verge of having nuclear weapons, and they have suckered their entire country into beleiving that the USA is the devil incarnate. From knowing how brutal they were during the most recent Iraq-Iran war, I'd have to say that going to war with them would be a second Vietnam. The last thing I need is having my youthful years taken away by a draft. This country has seen worse days than we are living in now. You think around three thousand dead soldiers is bad? With a war against Iran, we're looking at possibly fifty times that.

The execution of Sadam is a strong messege to other dictators. I fear that it may give some countries the wrong idea about us. We aren't taking control of countries like some major superpowers did in the early 19th and 20th centuries. We're estabolishing democracy in countries that are oppressed, and ridding the world of dangerous leaders. Tell that to Iran and they wont beleive a word.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

ImageImageImageImage
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

the thing is i heard that iran's econimy is crippling and if we can hold back anoth eventully somthing might work to are favor, who knows? anything is possible nowadays(if you think this countrys is getting worse you never were in the Great depression or the times of early WW2 era so study that before you assuming things are worse then they are)
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Kaebora wrote:The execution of Sadam is a strong messege to other dictators. I fear that it may give some countries the wrong idea about us. We aren't taking control of countries like some major superpowers did in the early 19th and 20th centuries. We're estabolishing democracy in countries that are oppressed, and ridding the world of dangerous leaders. Tell that to Iran and they wont beleive a word.
...You know, I'm an American, and even I don't believe you. You are right about one thing though. Things can ALWAYS get worse. At this rate, they just might.
Lukas wrote:(if you think this countrys is getting worse you never were in the Great depression or the times of early WW2 era so study that before you assuming things are worse then they are)
Why are you even making that comparison? Sure, they were bad, but in different ways. Something that appears to be not such a big deal on the surface can actually be far worse than something that's blatantly horrible.
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

World War II will always be the worst war fought in history. War with Iran will be no comparison. More people died across the globe during that time period than any other before it. Only a nuclear holocost would be worse.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

A nuclear holocaust...which is VERY indicated should we go to war with Iran.

Where Iraq was supposed to be a terrorist sponsor state, it's been established that Iran definitely is even if they're not impressed with Al Qaeda. There are plenty of Islamist extremist groups who'd like a piece of the US and Ahmedinejad thinks they're all just ducky.

Even if the two countries never shoot a nuke at each other, they can send people with dirty bombs in suitcases and they have access to thousands of people who'd do that, happily. I feel a little safer now that Congress has mandated the search of every large shipping container that enters this country, to be fully compliant by 2010. But the wheels of infrastructure move but slowly and like the bumper sticker says, it only takes one nuke to totally screw up your day. Now imagine if thirty suitcase nukes hit the shores. Sure, there are security restrictions at the airports but they don't have to get past security to really make a cock-up of the area for fifty miles' radius. Even the threat of suitcase nukes would severely impact our lives here; we'd essentially be on lockdown, nobody comes in or out.

The problem with nuclear war with Iran is that they're not like the Soviets. The Cold War stayed cold because the Soviets didn't want to die anymore than we did so MAD was an effective check. That's not the case with the brand of Islam they practice in Iran. They're 110% convinced they're in the right, they feel certain that if it comes to blows they're the ones who'll go to Heaven and their adversary will go straight to Hell, so MAD doesn't work here.
ImageImageImageImage
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Well said; my wife Cathey back in the late nineties said she wasn't afraid of China's upcoming rise to superpower status, but instead of the little guys with nothing to lose.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Lukas wrote:the thing is i heard that iran's econimy is crippling and if we can hold back anoth eventully somthing might work to are favor, who knows? anything is possible nowadays(if you think this countrys is getting worse you never were in the Great depression or the times of early WW2 era so study that before you assuming things are worse then they are)
North Korea's economy is s*** too, but that didn't stop Jong-Il from starting his own nuclear weapons program. Don't forget that in dictatorship states like Iran, the government doesn't give half a s*** if their people are poor, starving or dieing of air pollution. All they need are a devoted military and somebody they can tell their people to chant "death to" instead.

I don't think it would be fair comparing a potential Iran/Iraq war to the previous Iran/Iraq or Vietnam though. What made those two wars so brutal was that, while the United States and allies were supporting one side, the other side was supported by the communists.

A war with Iran, I believe, would be very similar to the war in Iraq. Saddam, his government and his military took only a few months to completely dismantle, and since then the military has been struggling to maintain order. The same, I believe, would be true of Iran. With only support from a bunch of Saudis hiding in caves, Iran's military wouldn't stand a chance. Maintaining order in the country, however, would be near impossible.

Realistically, the U.S. shouldn't expect to be able to do anything about Iran until Iraq is stable. I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's a lot of resentment towards democracy in the Middle East because their closest democratic neighbors are all non-Muslim. If that's true, a Muslim democracy might help set an example to people in other countries and possibly inspire the people to overthrow their own dictators. The only problem is that we need to convince the Iraqis that democracy and Islam can coexist first.