the future. what do you see.

The place for anything at all...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I do find it remarkable how many people make statements about things always being as they are, or about how "human nature" is inherantly this or that--usually something pretty pessimistic. But, the fact is, no trend can continue indefinitely. Humans are still subject to natural laws, just like every other member of the cosmos. And that includes evolution. We might not be evolving the way we want, but we're still evolving, and very quickly. In a few hundred years, genetic engineering, molecular cybernetics, and other technologies we can only begin to imagine, let alone predict, will give our descendants the ability to redirect human and post-human evolution in such a manner that humans and their progeny entities will be able to decide for themselves how to evolve.

Obviously, there's hurtles to overcome. Today's issues are the most basic. There's the basics. Over half our species is infected with chronic disease, and a third don't have the steady supply of clean, running water we take for granted. Until we can fix the most basic problems of living standards and bring equality of living to all parts of the world, progress will be awkward and frought with a continuation of the conflict that so many people seem convinced will go on forever.

The next hurtle, still more immediate, is philosophical. As long as people genuinely believe that Armageddon is around the corner, then there's no motivation towards long-term thinking. Why endorse green technology and recycle when you believe that God intends to destroy the Earth five years from now? How can you even consider directing human evolution when you don't believe the science describing evolution in the first place? How can you employ technologies to eliminate disease and improve intelligence when you're convinced that God forbids it? In more remote countries, superstition interferes with basic medicine and food, but reactionary belief systems plague even the most advanced portions of the modern world. These ideas will be slow to change, but generational experiences and new technologies should help to force the issue--though again, unfortunately, not without conflict.

After that, the main hurtle I foresee is repairing the damage already set in motion that will have happened from 1850 to about, maybe 2050. One has to stabilize the homeworld. We won't be able to colonize and terraform other worlds probably for several centuries, so it's an issue of fundamental neccessity. None-the-less, the consciousness shift that the above paragraph implies would suggest that a better sense of community and collaboration with the rest of Earth's biosphere will come about, especially once biotechnology gets past the basic keeping people from dying and goes more into the realm of genetic engineering that blurs the lines between humans and other Earth species. (Sounds pretty out there right now, but look around; the desire to cross the bridge is right here in this very forum, even if the means isn't.)

Once we've matured as a species and cleaned up our room, we can move on to the real stuff of intelligent civilizations--transfer of consciousness to a stable medium (one that doesn't die of old age after less than 120 years or so), engineering minds and bodies capable of more than what we can do now--imagine if you could remember everything you ever experienced? That would prevent a lot of blunders in our daily lives. Suppose you were immune to chemical depression, could blow off anything that you did not want to feel sad or angry about? You could concentrate on picking your fights and your issues, rather than obsessing about things you know in your mind are trivial. At this point, problems such as bad backs or dying of cancer are historic relics.

If anyone wants to challenge the morality of transhumanist technology, my answer is to challenge the morality of allowing today's suffering to continue any further. The overwhelming majority of human potential right now is locked away in suffering, be it war, poverty, substandard living conditions, chronic pain, depression, other mental illnesses, limited intelligence, Alzheimer's disease and other forms of senile dementia, malaria, HIV, tuberculosis, diabetes, blindness, paralysis, political oppression, the list goes on and on.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

ahhh the j curve that is human advancement, what wonders will it bring.

I see two possibilities. The modern day peace that we live in now will shatter countries will be devided and there shall be another dark age to spread across the land. The shinning beacon that was humanities brightest cities will fall apart and people will once again be just self sustaining. And for a thousand years there shall be no advancement, and for all I know we could be living at the start or end of the second roman empire.

Though, if we were to go the better route humanity will have to figure out its place on this planet. Solve it's energy needs without hurting the planet. Once we find something that we can depend on, hopefully nuclear fussion will soon be possible I mean free energy come on! Then the major countries would have to spread their knowledge to the rest of the world through their own means. People will have to once again care for their common man.

Though, I do expect their to be a desaster to bring about all this. A plague something because lets face it are population needs to go DOWN. we can not sustain this population. I suspect this will happen in the middle east and asia/ Africa because they have the best conditions for viruses.

meanwhile the 1st world counties's technologies continue to skyrocket....i mean in the last ten years weave trippled what computers could do. Ever month a computer is outdated. I can't wait to see where we are ten years from now....*crosses fingers* I want my rocket car!
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Well, I'm not going to write a huge multi paragraphed post, mostly cos I can't, I tend to try and keep it short and to the point.

As I see it. If we (the western world)carry on along the path we are treading at the moment, we're aither all going to become obese and die of heart disease. Or we will further provoke the wrath of religious extremists, who have little or no regard for human life in general. These people already have the technology to wipe entire nations from the face of the planet, I truly believe that it is just a matter of time before someone, extremist or crackpot leader presses the button.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

What do I see for the future? Can't say: this board isn't rated for it.
Suffice to say that as I approach my sixtieth year, I'm grinning: I'll be dead before it hits the fan...
Sorry, kids; we spent your world already... :evil:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...