Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Aki wrote:
Akela wrote:
Aki wrote: Nah. I know alot about lore.

See, Dunmer aren't the only guys who hate undead. Something that FEEDS on PEOPLE. Isn't going to be accepted. Just because the Vampire can pick and choose his target doesn't remove the fact he hunts humans. Acceptance? No.
Heh heh, your wrong again, TES Vampires don't need to feed on people let alone sentient life, they can survive just fine off animals or other creatures.
Yes, but the Vampire has a reputation for feeding off people.

Bad rep + monster rep. = Burn at da steak.
Only in Morrowind, the Imperials are far more educated than that, besides I doubt the Vampire in question would be a member of the Imperial Aristocracy if they were monstrous.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

You really overestimate Imperial education.

Imperial, have really, really big egos, and horrifically biased. A simple look a the 'Pocket Guide to the Empire' reveals this. Hell, and Orcs weren't playable until morrowind becuase, hey, they're Orcs. It took them giving their services as soldiers to the empire for that.

Trust me, you don't go from the vampire-hating of Daggerfall and Morrowind to "We <3 Vampires!" in Cyrodiil. Because if it was, Every vampires would hang out there, and frankly: Lore has never mentioned any well-known vampire in Cyrodiil because any vampire unlucky enough to become known becomes a ash-pile shortly thereafter.

Like the Dunmer, the Imperial religion dislikes Vampires quite a lot. The Nine Divine includes Arkay, God of Life and Death. And Arkay and his priests hate undead. I highly doubt with that influence, they'll be more accepting.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Nooo..... not exactly.

The ones I'm talking about are aristocrats, they have proven themselves and are publicly known as vampires. Any politician worth his salt knows it pays to have a good public image. It was even stated by an official source that there are Imperial Aristocrats and are publicly known vampires, I'll find the quote one of these days.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Until the quote is found I'll remain highly skeptical.. :P
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I do remember reading that vampires are accepted in some parts of societyu, but i dunno where...
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Yes, Aki is just blatantly disregarding TES lore, there are Humanistic Vampires in Imperial aristocracy.
Aki wrote:Until the quote is found I'll remain highly skeptical.. :P
The Imperial Library wrote:"Imperial culture regards blood vampires as destructive monsters to be hunted and destroyed. However, romantic notions of noble, virtuous vampires persist in Imperial traditions, and vampires are thought to pass unrecognized in the Mages Guild and the Imperial aristocracy."
Read it and weep. Taken right from the Imperial Library site, the largest database of TES lore. If I need to prove that vampires don't need sentient life blood I can fire off a quote for that too.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Quitit. Look, imerials my love vamps, but ashlanders don't. k? right, now go back to worshiping werewolves. :P
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I don't see how that quote does anything but contradict your point...

But don't mind me, I really have no clue what you guys are arguing about.

-- Vilkacis
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

:? I truly fail to see how it contradicts me stating there are vampires in imperial aristocracy.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Akela wrote::? I truly fail to see how it contradicts me stating there are vampires in imperial aristocracy.

Because it doesn't say that. It says that "vampires are thought to pass unrecognized [...]". That's like saying "gravitational force is thought to be carried by gravitions." Both are unconfirmed assertions.

Edit: Graviolis Sorry. Sometimes I can't resist saying that.
Edit #2: I fail grammar.
Last edited by Lupin on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Akela wrote::? I truly fail to see how it contradicts me stating there are vampires in imperial aristocracy.
You said:
Akela wrote:The ones I'm talking about are aristocrats, they have proven themselves and are publicly known as vampires. [...] It was even stated by an official source that there are Imperial Aristocrats and are publicly known vampires, I'll find the quote one of these days.
So, you said there were publicly known vampires in the aristocracy and that this source would support that.

The quote said:
The Imperial Library wrote:"Imperial culture regards blood vampires as destructive monsters to be hunted and destroyed. However, romantic notions of noble, virtuous vampires persist in Imperial traditions, and vampires are thought to pass unrecognized in the Mages Guild and the Imperial aristocracy."
So:

1) Blood vampires are not tolerated.
2) Although, there are romantic notions of noble vampires in their traditions.
3) It is suspected that there might be unknown vampires in the aristocracy.

The first two neither support nor disprove your point. The first, I think, is talking about a specific type of vampire -- you said you have evidence to support that vampires don't need sentient blood. The second only talks of the past and tradition. That doesn't mean vampires would be any more accepted than, say, werewolves would be in our society just because there are legends where they aren't bad guys.

It's the third point that I see as contradicting what you said. As far as I can tell, they would have no reason whatsoever to say that if there were known and accepted vampires in the aristocracy. What would be the point? "Oh, there are known and accepted vampires in the aristocracy, but that's not important, so I won't mention it. Rather, the important point is: there might be unknown vampires in the aristocracy." I don't see that as happening. It seems to me that they are saying vampires aren't accepted, but there might be a few hiding out.

Anyway, forgive me if I have misinterpreted any of this. Like I said, I am not familiar with any of the lore, etc. that you have the advantage of. I'm only working with what has been said here.

-- Vilkacis
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

I remember in OXM they said because The enviroment is so life-like.
"Watch out for poison ivy!" or something like that.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Heh. Vilkacis pointed out what I was going to say.

As for the "blood" vampire statement Vilk, in morrowind there were "Ash" Vampires, but they weren't Vampires. It was a nickname for the seven guys who were like the main bad guy's (Dagoth Ur's) brothers (at least, thats what they're called, they may or may not be actual brothers...)

The only vampiric thing they had going was the whole 'eternal life' thing.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

were they the ones with tentacles coming out of their faces?
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Sorta. Those were ascended sleepers, but they were all dagoth ur's servants.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

23Jarden wrote:were they the ones with tentacles coming out of their faces?
No, they were the tall light grey-skinned bearded ones. They were guys like Dagoth Odrosal.

They kinda look like Dagoth Ur, with a lighter skin tone and without a mask.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

musta not of seen them yet. :P
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

23Jarden wrote:musta not of seen them yet. :P
You will when you come close to finishing the game. One of them has a weapon crucial to defeating Dagoth Ur in his possession (the hammer 'Sunder', caution: Do not equip without the gauntlet 'Wraithguard' unless you want to die a quick and presumably horrifcally painful death). :D
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

wooo! Where do I get a wraith guard?
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

You will receive it from Lord Vivek during the progress in the game. All you need is patience.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Bwha.

Totally awesome news, Forced reloading is OUT.

They replaced it with a process where you can 'kill' the NPC but its more like you knocked 'em unconscious as they'll get back up in a few days or so.

Much better, not too realistic but much better. 8)
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Indeed, too bad they decided to remove the Nine Divines as a joinable faction. What the **** is up with that anyway? When the game was announced last year they said it would be...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Aki wrote:Bwha.

Totally awesome news, Forced reloading is OUT.

They replaced it with a process where you can 'kill' the NPC but its more like you knocked 'em unconscious as they'll get back up in a few days or so.

Much better, not too realistic but much better. 8)
Cool...

...I guess...

Somehow that allways just seemed natural to me, even if waiting for the game to reload from the last save (possibly loosing alot of game time if I had not saved or rested in a long time), was annoying, it allways made sense to me and I never thought anything of it.

What if you "die" inside an enemy stronghold? Do you wake up in thier dungeon...or maybe laying face down in the dirt outside of the main gate, with most or all of your items gone?...or do you wake up right where you fell down, even if it's the main cousel chamber of some cult, where you will immediately be attacked again? ...no...that can't be it. Bethesda is smarter than that.

I guess I should check out the elderscrols.com forums and find out for myself.

(I've got my Collectors eddition DVD PC version pre-ordered allready...how about you?)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Akela wrote:Indeed, too bad they decided to remove the Nine Divines as a joinable faction. What the **** is up with that anyway? When the game was announced last year they said it would be...
Was I the only one who wanted to join the "Twin Lamps" and free all the slaves in Morrowind. It allways bothered me that there seemed to be no way to do so.

(Although, I DID create a custom NPC who I designated as a Member of "Twin Lamps"who follwed me around the game and possesed every slave key in the game so I could buy them from her and free ANYONE.

...at least...that was the idea. For some reason, she hid half of them in her inventory and would not sell them to me. I could only get them by killing her and taking them from her cold, dead body.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Yes I was indeed bothered at the lack of the Twin Lamps, however, I downloaded two twin lamp mods and merged them. There is also this, I found it very interesting.
Vuldari wrote:What if you "die" inside an enemy stronghold? Do you wake up in thier dungeon...or maybe laying face down in the dirt outside of the main gate, with most or all of your items gone?...or do you wake up right where you fell down, even if it's the main cousel chamber of some cult, where you will immediately be attacked again? ...no...that can't be it. Bethesda is smarter than that.
Nope, it would be a game over.