What werewolves should NOT look like.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:What I don't want is excessive use of "seeing the world from the werewolf's point of view"

One time is good enough.

Thats it. Just once. Don't over do it. Got it?: good. :D
And if it's used, don't do the cliche "werewolf's POV while stalking someone." :roll:
Vicious
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Vicious »

Glad to hear so many of those stupid things won't be present in freeborn. It looks like all the bases have been covered.

If the werwolves of freeborn are acting like actual wolves, we should all be very happy.
Beauty isn't human.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I do not, I repeat. DO NOT want to see a werewolf run out in front of a car and get hit.

werewolves are not that dumb.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Now I see why you disliked Ginger Snaps :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Doruk Golcu wrote:Now I see why you disliked Ginger Snaps :P

wrong. :P
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Figarou wrote:

You didn't like the werewolf? It was one of those sweaty slimy looking beasts again. :roll:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Allen wrote:
Figarou wrote:

You didn't like the werewolf? It was one of those sweaty slimy looking beasts again. :roll:
And it also had 6 nipp :D les

I honestly dont really care if a werewolf has no hairs though
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
stiltbeast
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

the look of the wolf

Post by stiltbeast »

First off I want to say that Im describing werewolves which in my mind are different creatures than wolf men.

Way back on one of the first posts on this topic Ice wolf posted what he thinks all wolves should look like.
I hated it, it had wings for crying out loud. neither man nor wolf has wings, so why should werewolves? secondly it was very manga, A decent realistic sketch would convey your thoughts much better, If I see a werewolf with feet bigger than his head in movie coming out soon Im gonna be pissed.
I know Im new to the baord, but Ive studied werewolves for a long time, a very long time. and I have developed strong opinions about them, I was actually asked to leave a vampire message board once cause they didnt know what vampires were, they were all about bram stroker and ann rice and threw away two thousand years worth of vampire lore.
I see it hapening again with werewolves on this board. werewolves should have three forms human full wolf and a half form (even the existince of a half form is debateable but it is to cool looking to throw away.
They should use a wolves skin or a wolf skin belt to change, or an ointment. Also in myths there was no curse, if a werewolf attacked you then you died or got away, very few myths have werewolfism spreading live vampires, vamps spread that way because they are of the blood, werewolves are of the spirit, when a werewolf bites you it only bites your flesh, not your soul.
Ok enough ranting,
Have at me
Glad to have joined the boards
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: the look of the wolf

Post by Figarou »

stiltbeast wrote: I see it hapening again with werewolves on this board. werewolves should have three forms human full wolf and a half form (even the existince of a half form is debateable but it is to cool looking to throw away.

The werewolves in Freeborn WILL have 3 forms. Full wolf, human and gestalt. (half form)

The 1st change will be a full wolf. They have to learn how to control the change in order to be in gestalt form.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Re: the look of the wolf

Post by Hamster »

stiltbeast wrote:
Way back on one of the first posts on this topic Ice wolf posted what he thinks all wolves should look like.
I hated it, it had wings for crying out loud. neither man nor wolf has wings, so why should werewolves?
Did you read the whole post?
Icewolf wrote: For ONCE... please make werewolves look like this-- http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Icew ... lored1.jpg

Without the wings, of course.

WITHOUT THE WINGS!

and anyway, welcome to the forums. :D

*EDIT*

Woohoo! 100th post! hwlwnk
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Welcome, stiltbeast!

Again, to Icewolf's credit, the illustration was offered with the disclaimer about the wings.

I see you're on the mark with the old lore--the ointment or donning the skin. If you're looking at classical lore, about the only movie out there that is even close to faithful is The Company of Wolves, a surreal independent film. I consider it a must-see.

However, many of the constructs of the twentieth century have become grandfathered into the collective consciousness, and thus the "consensus werewolf" that represents to what most of us relate will tend to have at least some of the features that you probably dislike.

The infectious bite, and for that matter, the concept of lycanthropy as a condition rather than a type of spell-casting, is a 20th century notion, but that's where most of us got started, and most of us have developed our ideas around that model. A variant--the idea of hereditary lycanthropy--has also worked its way in, but most of us go for the infectious bite. I'll admit it--it's a corruption of vampire lore. But, I've used it before in hundreds of daydreams, and I'll continue to use it until I die.

Full moons are also mostly contemporary. But, it's also grandfathered in since the 1930s, and I'm one of the very few who don't use it in stories. I still feel strong ties with the full moon myself, but I'm a Wiccan; we do that anyway. I also suspect that even if full moons had nothing to do with shape-shifting, a newly turned werewolf might be tempted to create some correlation anyway, or assign some ceremonial or spiritual significance to the full moon.

Silver--same, except there are actual obscure legends about silver bullets blessed by priests. Basically, silver was considered "pure," and werewolves not. There are just as many legends relating to vampires, but 1940s cinema gave silver bullets to werewolves, since vampires already had the stake through the heart. (I think of a great scene in the movie Love at First Bite, in which a vampire hunter tries to kill Dracula by shooting three silver bullets through his heart. Dracula answers with a sigh, "no, that is a verevulf." Then, police appear and haul him off to jail, while he shouts, "No! He's not dead! He's not a werewolf!"

The anthropomorphic "furry" look, while considered too serene and benevolent by some standards, is still a lot closer to the consensus werewolf image than the vast majority of cinema. I would consider the closest thing to the definitive consensus werewolf image to be Goldenwolf's art.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Shaggy, loose-fitting, ape-suits *shudders* :P

And it seems every movie werewolf has a bad case of mange.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ok, this may be difficult.

If more than one werewolf is used in the film, make sure each one has his/her own tone of voice in Gestalt form. Don't use the same growl with all of the werewolves.

Change the tone by a few octaves. Make each werewolf unique. :D
TrotFox
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by TrotFox »

Figarou wrote:Change the tone by a few octaves. Make each werewolf unique. :D
Just as a note of detail... A few octaves is the difference in singing types. It's a vast difference musically. I think you're looking for a few notes difference along with some intonation.

Two octaves should be the difference between, say, a child and an adult.

Trot, the somewhat musical, fox... (What'd'yawant, I married an Opera singer.)
|. /\_/\ TrotFox Greyfoot \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
| >\_/< trotfox at gmail.com \ third alternative."
stiltbeast
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

of silver bullets and werewolves

Post by stiltbeast »

What is the consensus on werewolf killing, would decapitation do it? what about being burned to ash? Would reciting holy verse repel a werewolf?
I think blessed silver would do the trick on werewolves, but the wound would only be the equilivant of what you would see on a human, I hate on movies (mostly vampire) where they stab the monster with a silver stake and then he bursts into flame, even if they stabbed his shoulder.
But then again Im of the opinion that vampires arent killed by stakes, the original intent of the stake was to pin the vampire to the coffin , so it has to transfix him completely and then bury into the coffin beneath him, then he starves to death, If he is up hunting when he is confronted then he needs to be beheaded then burned.
I digress, what do you think the limits are on a werewolves regeneration, do you guys apply that wounds carry over to human form? or do they dissapear?
Just want to know your thoughts
Rementh
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Rementh »

If the van helsing werewolves had tails that would be cool exept for the fact that they are moderately mindless
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: of silver bullets and werewolves

Post by Vilkacis »

stiltbeast wrote:What is the consensus on werewolf killing, would decapitation do it? what about being burned to ash? Would reciting holy verse repel a werewolf?
I think blessed silver would do the trick on werewolves, but the wound would only be the equilivant of what you would see on a human, I hate on movies (mostly vampire) where they stab the monster with a silver stake and then he bursts into flame, even if they stabbed his shoulder.
But then again Im of the opinion that vampires arent killed by stakes, the original intent of the stake was to pin the vampire to the coffin , so it has to transfix him completely and then bury into the coffin beneath him, then he starves to death, If he is up hunting when he is confronted then he needs to be beheaded then burned.
I digress, what do you think the limits are on a werewolves regeneration, do you guys apply that wounds carry over to human form? or do they dissapear?
Just want to know your thoughts
These are not topics that have gone undiscussed. The general consensus seems to be something like this:

Werewolves would require a certain amount of regenerative abilities just to be able to survive shapeshifting, but not a great amount. Werewolves can still be killed by regular bullets and decapitation, and the like. Wounds carry over through shifting, and may take days (or longer) to heal, depending on the severity. For the purpose of Freeborn, we are going for full-moon induced shifting and killing silver (I don't think a stab in the shoulder would do it, though). I don't think blessings, curses and holy this-or-that are generally favored.

Any or all of this is always up for debate, but please only create a new thread if you are reasonably sure one doesn't already exist. We seem to prefer that old topics be resurrected, rather than having duplicate topics everywhere.

-- Vilkacis
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Freeborn isn't going to be Blade: Trinity done with werewolves. You don't have to worry about cheezy werewolves that explode when killed. They're also decidedly not going to be unholy minions of Satan, so they won't burn when splashed with holy water. If silver is toxic, it's not because it's a holy curse, so a priest's blessing isn't needed to do the job. Nor are werewolves going to be spontaneously resurrected when the bullet is taken out, as in Project Metalbeast.

Please forgive me for mentioning Freeborn in the same paragraph as those other two movies.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

i like the ideal of a werewolf having a great amount of healing,ok im gonna just forget the silver and holy water but i think these are ways you should kill a werewolf. Shootem in the center of the head, blowing them up,if most of thier body is still intact and with the brains it should heal itself, burning them,but they have to be soo badly burned that they look like burned steak thats solid as a rock,oh and drownig, but they have to be left in water for quite a while, sense you cant regenerate with out breathing,well that it. :)
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

I think silver should have some impact on the severity of the wound, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor when fighting werewolf...

I mean just because you shoot a werewolf with a silver bullet doesn't mean it's going to die instantly... silver along with where you shoot the werewolf and how many times you do shoot it should be what really matters....
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: of silver bullets and werewolves

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote: We seem to prefer that old topics be resurrected, rather than having duplicate topics everywhere.

-- Vilkacis
It'll be nice if we had the ability to merge threads.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Fig: I think you can merge, ah, I don't know.

Just to throw outa question: Do people seem to perfer a human torso or a barrel chest, and I think I've asked this somewhere else.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

outwarddoodles wrote:Fig: I think you can merge, ah, I don't know.
This phpBB board needs the mod in order to do it.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Have any pics with the two chest types I could look at?
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

The more wolflike torso would restrict movement of the arms (different positioning of the scapulae/shoulderblades and so on), which would make it an unreliable choice if you wanted full mobility in that area, wouldn't it? (any anatomists here?)