YIN and YANG Does a Werewolf need to be "Balanced"

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

thats because it does happen Werewolves don't exist (to our knowlage), there is no credible evidence of shifting or manwolves or anything iof the sort. But the atom thing does happen, and has obvously been recorded by credible sources. because we see it, we belive it, know it to be true. We have not seen werewolves, do not know them to be true, and therefore they are catagorized as supernatural.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Lupin wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:And I would find it hard to believe that anyone here, let alone anywhere, can come up with a perfectly understandable, and valid scientific explanation of how a human can change his or her physical form so that he or she can appear as a wolf, or gain wolf-like features in less than a minute, and have the explanation not draw upon the supernatural for help.
Nobody can provide an explination for why a Uranium atom spontaneously emits two protons and two neutrons going 33,000mph, but just because we can't explain it, doesn't mean we go around calling it 'supernatural'.
You're wrong.
The nucleus of a Uranium atom is so massive that its internal forces can only barely hold it together. Think of it as 238+ billard balls in a sack meant to hold 208 balls. It is due to this instability that the Uranium nucleus will emit an alpha particle (2 protons and 2 neutrons that form a Helium nucleus). Sometimes it will emit the alpha particle due to it simply being unstable, and other times, it will emit the alpha particle after having been struck by an alpha particle emitted by another Uranium atom.

In other words, given as how it is currently impossible for any and all animals known to man, including man, to transform his, her, or itself from one species into another species, or even gain characteristics from another species in under a minute, I will be monumentally reluctant to give an animal that can spontaneously develop features of another species the benefit of the doubt and say it is "natural," if at all.
If being able to spontaneously develop features of another species is indeed natural, please explain in great detail to me how this is so, given as how we have never seen such phenomena ever occurring in nature.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Lupin wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:And I would find it hard to believe that anyone here, let alone anywhere, can come up with a perfectly understandable, and valid scientific explanation of how a human can change his or her physical form so that he or she can appear as a wolf, or gain wolf-like features in less than a minute, and have the explanation not draw upon the supernatural for help.
Nobody can provide an explination for why a Uranium atom spontaneously emits two protons and two neutrons going 33,000mph, but just because we can't explain it, doesn't mean we go around calling it 'supernatural'.
You're wrong.
The nucleus of a Uranium atom is so massive that its internal forces can only barely hold it together. Think of it as 238+ billard balls in a sack meant to hold 208 balls. It is due to this instability that the Uranium nucleus will emit an alpha particle (2 protons and 2 neutrons that form a Helium nucleus). Sometimes it will emit the alpha particle due to it simply being unstable, and other times, it will emit the alpha particle after having been struck by an alpha particle emitted by another Uranium atom.
No. I am well aware of HOW the alpha particle quantum tunnles itself out of the nucleus. What I'm saying is that we don't know WHY the alpha particle quantum tunnels itself out of the nucleus. You said it yourself: all we know is that the atom is 'simply being unstable'. However, quantum tunneling requires activation energy, and the energy has to come from somewhere. And uranium atoms that are by itself will smiply decay for no apparent reason.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Uranium atoms decay because they are unstable, and they are unstable because they are much much larger than Bismuth atoms, as Bismuth is the heaviest element that is not radioactive.

And you haven't explained to me why a werewolf is natural, even though it can change from human to wolf at will, even though no other animal that can achieve a similiar feat has ever been observed, let alone documented.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Apokryltaros wrote:In other words, given as how it is currently impossible for any and all animals known to man, including man, to transform his, her, or itself from one species into another species, or even gain characteristics from another species in under a minute, I will be monumentally reluctant to give an animal that can spontaneously develop features of another species the benefit of the doubt and say it is "natural," if at all.
If being able to spontaneously develop features of another species is indeed natural, please explain in great detail to me how this is so, given as how we have never seen such phenomena ever occurring in nature.
You seem to be missing my first point: What I'm saying is that if werewolves did exist, they couldn't be considered unnatural, since they would have to work within the laws of the nature, otherwise they would be impossible.
Apokryltaros wrote:Uranium atoms decay because they are unstable, and they are unstable because they are much much larger than Bismuth atoms, as Bismuth is the heaviest element that is not radioactive.
Which doesn't actually have anything to do with where the activation energy to initate a decay event comes from, which is what I am talking about.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

Okay, I cannot answer the question, but I have a suggestion why the ability of a werewolf to change into another form could be seen as natural: It is the perfect mimicry.

There are a lot of creatures out there that can change their appearance by changing their skin. I'm thinking of chameleons (hopefully the right english word) and some octopus-species. The chameleon can change the color of its skin and the octopus is even capable of changing its skin structure to a point where it resembles the structure of the sorrounding environment. This is - on a very basic and primitive level (compared to a werewolf, of course) - some kind of natural 'shapeshifting'.
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Re: My Two Cents On The Matter

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Apokryltaros wrote: Lycanthropes are amalgams of human and beast, and, in my opinion, if one favors one side over the other, disaster is never far behind.
In that, if a werewolf comes to the conclusion that his beast-side is superior than his human-side, and does his best'est to reject his human-side entirely, ala avoiding contact with humans, staying in wolf form all the time, etc, etc, he risks becoming a mere beast, an unthinking animals, or, at best, a wolf with thumbs.
If this new werewolf decides that being a werewolf means that he can now indulge in all of the wild impulses and bad thoughts that are queued up in his head, well, he's on his way to becoming a horrible monster far worse than the sum of his parts.
On the other hand, I strongly doubt that any good would come of a werewolf trying to supress his beast-side. Unless he happens to have access to powerful magicks, his beast-side is not going to go away, no matter how hard he suppressed his instincts, or how hard he wishes himself to be human. It would be akin to trying to shrink a water balloon by squeezing it...
I agree with this, just like any human has the potental to be a 'monster' a werewolf can either indulge in the darker side of their abilities (like to hunt & kill, but for thrills not food) or take control of themselves and deal with their Lycanthroy (yes my spelling is horrid). I don't think of WereWolves as having a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde kind of condition, what they are like as a WereWolf is reflected as they act as a human, and vice versa, if you have someone that is a bully, chances are they are going to try and act like one as a were, and if you have someone that is fearful and shy, its unlikely they are going to be much different when the full moon is out
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Lupin wrote:You seem to be missing my first point: What I'm saying is that if werewolves did exist, they couldn't be considered unnatural, since they would have to work within the laws of the nature, otherwise they would be impossible.
If vampires did exist, would they be considered natural, too, despite being corpses that can move around, respond to stimuli, spontaneously combust in sunlight and holy water, and having an irrational need to ingest blood?

Given as how werewolves have been portrayed as being supernatural beings which can spontaneously change forms, to the contrary of what the laws of biology say, I find it extremely difficult, if not wholely impossible, to give supernatural creatures the benefit of the doubt and say that they are natural.
-Calculon
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Re: My Two Cents On The Matter

Post by Apokryltaros »

Ronkonkoma wrote:I agree with this, just like any human has the potental to be a 'monster' a werewolf can either indulge in the darker side of their abilities (like to hunt & kill, but for thrills not food) or take control of themselves and deal with their Lycanthroy (yes my spelling is horrid). I don't think of WereWolves as having a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde kind of condition, what they are like as a WereWolf is reflected as they act as a human, and vice versa, if you have someone that is a bully, chances are they are going to try and act like one as a were, and if you have someone that is fearful and shy, its unlikely they are going to be much different when the full moon is out
With shy people, it all depends on the circumstances of their shyness, in that, some people simply repress everything, while others are just naturally soft-spoken and rarely assert themselves.
-Calculon