the size of a werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

This entire conversation reminded me of something.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=71
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Meh...maybe I'm just weird, but I don't go to the movies to see 'normal people'. I don't want to see people like me and my friends up there on the screen. I DO want to see movies mostly filled with fit, good-looking people. An occasional outlier here and there is ok, but I want unrealistic standards of beauty to be the norm in movies, not the occasional bonus.

For me, movies are about escapism. I don't go to the movies to see reality. If I want to see that, I'll just look around me, or in a mirror.

But hey, to each their own I guess.

I don't want any fat werewolves, but I certainly wouldn't mind a voluptuous one, or a big-boned one. I don't want any rail-thin werewolves, but I wouldn't mind one that is lean and sleek.

Also, to Sabre:
Don't let my opinions discourage you from coming to A-Kon. What I want in a werewolf or in a movie has nothing to do whatsoever with what I want in a friend.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Meh, I am prejudiced against beautiful people. ;)

So you lovely folks better ugly up for me at Akon! :lol:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Heh, I wish I was one of the beautiful people. :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:Meh, I am prejudiced against beautiful people. ;)

*turns insideout*

How's that for ugly?

You can now see what makes up a potbelly. :lol:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:

*turns insideout*

How's that for ugly?

Extra helpings of pizza with mashed potatoes?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:

*turns insideout*

How's that for ugly?

Extra helpings of pizza with mashed potatoes?
Also with carne guisada, rice, beans and a coke.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I think that there would be fat werewolves. The part where a were is fat in human form would be as simple as the scenario where the were hasn't transformed for an amount of time while eating enough food to make pot bellies, whereas there's the fat were in shifted form scenario that would take quite a bit of explanation to do, which i can't be arsed to do because Scott Gardener knows more about that than i do.

But i think that even if a werewolf is overweight, obese, etc, the fat would be incinerated from the shifting, thus reverting the were to its usual normal weight range, and even getting rid of the stretched skin from the weight gain. The fat could even prevent some exhaustion, post-morphing.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Renorei wrote:Meh...maybe I'm just weird, but I don't go to the movies to see 'normal people'. I don't want to see people like me and my friends up there on the screen. I DO want to see movies mostly filled with fit, good-looking people. An occasional outlier here and there is ok, but I want unrealistic standards of beauty to be the norm in movies, not the occasional bonus.

For me, movies are about escapism. I don't go to the movies to see reality. If I want to see that, I'll just look around me, or in a mirror.
Seeing movies ONLY about people who are nothing like me and my friends who do amazing things and get to be part of amazing events doesn't help me "escape" any more, or enjoy it any more. All that does is reinforce the discouraging notion that "Exeptionalism" is a special thing reserved only for "someone else" and never for us.

Seing someone who reminds me of my best friend, or even myself as a main character in the story...familiar and "Real"...becoming part of an expetional story, influencing an extrordinary event, and doing incredible things blurrs the line between fantasy and reality and results in a greater sense of immersion...making you almost feel like YOU could actually be a part of something that fantastic too.

...you don't have to wish you were Tom Cruise or Angelina Jolie before you could picture yourself in the story. If you see someone like you on the screen...in makes you feel like you could be an action-hero RIGHT NOW! ...just as you are...if you just have the will and the courage to do it...

That sounds like much more fun than looking at someone more beautiful than you and feeling inadiquate and inferior. That's not fun at all.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vuldari wrote:
Renorei wrote:Meh...maybe I'm just weird, but I don't go to the movies to see 'normal people'. I don't want to see people like me and my friends up there on the screen. I DO want to see movies mostly filled with fit, good-looking people. An occasional outlier here and there is ok, but I want unrealistic standards of beauty to be the norm in movies, not the occasional bonus.

Seeing movies ONLY about people who are nothing like me and my friends who do amazing things and get to be part of amazing events doesn't help me "escape" any more, or enjoy it any more. All that does is reinforce the discouraging notion that "Exeptionalism" is a special thing reserved only for "someone else" and never for us.

Seing someone who reminds me of my best friend, or even myself as a main character in the story...familiar and "Real"...becoming part of an expetional story, influencing an extrordinary event, and doing incredible things blurrs the line between fantasy and reality and results in a greater sense of immersion...making you almost feel like YOU could actually be a part of something that fantastic too.

...you don't have to wish you were Tom Cruise or Angelina Jolie before you could picture yourself in the story. If you see someone like you on the screen...in makes you feel like you could be an action-hero RIGHT NOW! ...just as you are...if you just have the will and the courage to do it...

That sounds like much more fun than looking at someone more beautiful than you and feeling inadiquate and inferior. That's not fun at all.

Meh...I find movies that star 'normal' people as the main protagonists to be annoying and trite. It's like reality television, only with a script.

Whatever. Different strokes for everyone, I guess.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Renorei wrote:

Meh...I find movies that star 'normal' people as the main protagonists to be annoying and trite. It's like reality television, only with a script.

Whatever. Different strokes for everyone, I guess.

You know, I really don't care who gets what part. All I care is that they do a really good job with the part they have. You know, someone who gets into their character. Someone who is good at bringing an emotional character to life. If that actor isn't good at evoking emotional reactions from the viewers, then he/she needs to get out of the movie business!!

I had no idea who was going to play "Jack" in Freeborn. I was thinking it was going to be a world famous movie star since ABrownrigg said he wasn't going to be in the film. But Pack members was pushing Anthony Brownrigg to play the part. Why? Was it because he did a great job of playing Jack in the teaser trailer? Is it his looks? Is he 'normal?'

Hmmmm?

I think ABrownrigg did a great job of playing Jack in the teaser trailer. I'm glad he is playing Jack.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote:Why? Was it because he did a great job of playing Jack in the teaser trailer? Is it his looks? Is he 'normal?'

Hmmmm?

Go and look at some of his headshots and photos on his website. AB is capable of pulling off both 'normal' and 'movie-star-awesome'. So, I suppose it really depends on how who chooses to make himself look for this part whether he will be normal or not.

Also, don't get me wrong, acting skills are VERY important to me. I would never want movie directors to pass over an actor/actress who was extremely good at acting for one who is only slightly better looking but a terrible actor/actress.

As to specifically why pack members wanted AB, there are a number of possible reasons why:

-He was awesome in the teaser trailer (which you stated).

-He wrote the story and is directing the movie, and therefore knows the character better than anybody could.

-He's a great guy, and deserves the recognition he would get for playing the lead in the this smash hit that Freeborn will inevitably be (at least we all hope).

-He's enough of an actor to help make this film as great as it could be. Maybe Hollywood will take the hint from Freeborn's success, and start making movies that the fans want to see.

-We are resistant to change. We get used to something, and we want it to stay the same, come hell or high water. The people who feel this way are the same people who are resistant to the idea of changing the name of the film (even though, all things considered, the name doesn't make much sense)

As for me, I'm happy AB is gonna be Jack, for several of the reasons listed.

Anyway, whatever. Pick a cast that is best for the welfare of the movie. Don't worry about my emphasis on escapism and desires to see a cast full of beautiful people, and don't worry about catering to Pariah's or Vuldari's desires to see a cast that accurately represents the population. Pick cast members that are best for the ultimate success of Freeborn. Use your best judgement. I've grown somewhat annoyed of stating my opinion over and over, and of having people respond with posts that are really getting quite repititive. So, I think we can all agree that we want Freeborn to be a successful film...not only at the box office, but in other ways as well. Pick whatever cast will ultimately achieve that end. AB knows what he's doing.

(I realize a handful of you are probably poised over your keyboards, ready to respond with your reasoning why your idea of what the cast should be like is in fact best for Freeborn. Don't. Or do, if you want. Your choice, really. Just be forewarned that I will inevitably be goaded into pointing out all the reasons why I feel my ideal cast is appropriate. Ultimately, you'd be perpetuating a rather pointless argument, since AB and Silver know far more than you or I what's best for the film.)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Renorei wrote: Go and look at some of his headshots and photos on his website.

No need for that. I got to see him inperson. :D
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Society sucks. -Realises she is no help whatsoever, apologises, and vanishes-
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote:

Lol, I know. But looking at some of his headshots will show you how he can pull off different looks well.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Renorei wrote: I've grown somewhat annoyed of stating my opinion over and over, and of having people respond with posts that are really getting quite repititive.
Don't take it so personally, Ren. I am quite passionate in my feelings toward this, but I want Freeborn to succeed as much as you do. I'm not looking to convert you over to the Pariah school of thought. If you're tired of stating your oppinion over and over then don't. It's every bit as repetitive as my and Vuldari's posts. So we disagree- who cares. I've stated why I feel the way I do, you have done the same, why turn it into an argument?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Renorei wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Lol, I know. But looking at some of his headshots will show you how he can pull off different looks well.
He needs more pictures of him miming.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

PariahPoet wrote:
Renorei wrote: I've grown somewhat annoyed of stating my opinion over and over, and of having people respond with posts that are really getting quite repititive.
Don't take it so personally, Ren. I am quite passionate in my feelings toward this, but I want Freeborn to succeed as much as you do. I'm not looking to convert you over to the Pariah school of thought. If you're tired of stating your oppinion over and over then don't. It's every bit as repetitive as my and Vuldari's posts. So we disagree- who cares. I've stated why I feel the way I do, you have done the same, why turn it into an argument?

:eyebrow:
Um...that's pretty much exactly what I was saying. I wasn't suggesting that my opinions were any less repetitive than yours were, though it might have come across that way...and the whole point of my post was to avoid this discussion escalating into an argument.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Renorei wrote:
PariahPoet wrote:

:eyebrow:
Um...that's pretty much exactly what I was saying. I wasn't suggesting that my opinions were any less repetitive than yours were, though it might have come across that way...and the whole point of my post was to avoid this discussion escalating into an argument.
Enough talking!
We need more werewolves the size of Clydesdales!
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros wrote: Enough talking!

What a great movie that would be. :D
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Renorei wrote:

Who would we get to play the leading role(s)?
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Renorei wrote:

I'm not sure. I've never been a proponent of that conservation-of-mass idea as it pertains to werewolves (no offense to fans of it...it's just not my cup of tea)...so as far as I'm concerned, the leading character could be a 5'3" waif. Of course, Mr. 6'1" bodybuilder would become a somewhat larger clydesdale sized werewolf. So, I don't really know who would actually be best for the leading roles. Any suggestions by me would simply be me naming people off of my list of favorite actors/actresses.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Renorei wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
Renorei wrote:

I'm not sure. I've never been a proponent of that conservation-of-mass idea as it pertains to werewolves (no offense to fans of it...it's just not my cup of tea)...so as far as I'm concerned, the leading character could be a 5'3" waif. Of course, Mr. 6'1" bodybuilder would become a somewhat larger clydesdale sized werewolf. So, I don't really know who would actually be best for the leading roles. Any suggestions by me would simply be me naming people off of my list of favorite actors/actresses.
I vote Mr Brownrigg, and we get Roland Kickinger as his stunt double.
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Renorei wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
Renorei wrote:

I vote Mr Brownrigg, and we get Roland Kickinger as his stunt double.
:lol:

I really really really love the way you think. It's so refreshing to know that I'm not the only person who understands why it makes perfect sense to throw realism out the window, when it comes to something as unrealistic as werewolves.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Renorei wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote: I vote Mr Brownrigg, and we get Roland Kickinger as his stunt double.
:lol:

I really really really love the way you think. It's so refreshing to know that I'm not the only person who understands why it makes perfect sense to throw realism out the window, when it comes to something as unrealistic as werewolves.
http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/vi ... 8506#88506