Phantom Limbs...

The place for anything at all...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Searif Bogard wrote:well, I pretty-well view phantom limbs as being something that you want so much that you start to feel it, even if you do not know that you want it.
Ah but the first time I felt my tail, I didnt even know about phantom limbs. I was just extrodinarily happy and my tail wagged. :wink:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

The phantom limb sensation can be created in a state of calm meditation and concentration. How real it feels can vary. I've read a book on meditation, and it mentioned this. I tried it a few times. I managed to feel that I had rabbit ears, and at another time (quite by accident), women's breasts. Very weird.

Phantom limbs are more common among those that actually lost an arm or a leg. They feel that they have an itch, and when they reach to scratch it, their missing arm isn't there to be scratched. Such experiances fade long after the amputation.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I'm sorry if this is insulting to anyone here, but I feel I just have to say this.

I can totally understand and sypathise with any and all claims of unusual and remarkably real feeling sensations, (as I've experienced them to a lesser, but no less real extent myself and know just how real it can feel), but when people start talking about their 'phantom limbs' actually physically interacting with the environment around them, such as invisable claws poking holes through gloves or phantom tails prying doors open (see posted comic) I just feel like you are insulting my inteligence.
(I'm pretty sure most of those comics are not intented to be taken entirely seriously...at least I hope not...)

I totally believe that it is possible to be spatially aware enough that you may experience real pain when someone slams a door behind you that you know your percieved tail/wings/etc occupied the space of. (Pain is just a product of the mind after all)...but if you told me something like, you were able to blow a piece of paper off a table by flapping your 'phantom' wings, I must ask, "...do you think I'm stupid or something?"

Image ...some people here are trying to be serious about this. Give those people some respect and let's keep the BS to a minimum, shall we? I'm glad those comics were posted. I find them quite interesting. Just realise that they have been exagerated for comic effect...as it is a "comic" strip after all.

*Deep Sigh* ...okay, I'm done. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Im not sure if the comic strips were neccesarily exaggerated. In the comments, the author explains that they are very rare phenomena. I believe its possible for a tail or wings to briefly interact, though Ive never experienced it myself.

Im willing to say it can happen but I see your point. It most likely doesnt happen to everyone who claims it does. A lot of people just want attention.

But Im sure it does happen. Phanton limbs are made out of the same stuff ghost are, suposidly, so if ghosts can throw things or turn lights off I dont see why a wagging tail cant accidentally knock something off the table. But thats just my opinion. You are entitled to your own of course. 8)
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

Granted, Vuldari, it's clear that we won't agree on this. :wink:
I simply find that it is the only phenomenon as of current that would explain how I would have bought a brand new pair of gloves, and then suddenly have holes inexplicably burst through the fingertips.
Phantom limbs? Maybe. Who knows. I'm just sticking with that as of this moment, because I find it to be the most practical notion.
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Every pair of gloves I've owned in my life, it is allways the fingertips that wear out first. It is often the weakest point in the stitching, and also the most prone to wear and tear as humans feel everything with thier fingertips. I wore through two expensive goat-skin leather gloves at work in only three days each, and eventually gave up on them. (And soon after quit that job, because it was just too brutal on my body and hands).

The way you say "bursting" the fingertips makes it sound like you are saying that you were just staring at your gloves one day and the fingertips spontaniously exploded all at once. (Which I know is not what you really meant)

I'm just highly "Pro Reality-Check". Too much BS is very bad for ones mental health.

(Moonkit...don't even get me started about 'Ghosts'. ...NOT going there...)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Kanibal
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kanibal »

Seeing is believing, I'm just that sort of person so I'm skeptical, I dont really think its possible but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.
Moon_Lover
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: "Look, Ma! He's smiling!"

Post by Moon_Lover »

I will say this: I had not used them before, had only owned them for less than an hour, I had purchased them specifically due to the fact that the tip binding was strong, as others had fallen apart quickly (but not as quickly) previously. I was walking down some street (as I recall), and the tips had come apart as if pushed.
Unfortunately, it was a completely random event, so I do not know how to repeat it (Otherwise I would. :D )
Due to this, and to the understandable skepticism regarding it, I have no intention of pushing the fact that it's true down your throat. I apologize if I have seemingly done so.
It is the simple fact that I have experienced it to make me post such a comment. I apologize for any unecessary irking. :wink:
You can run, you can hide, but I'll still pounce on you and lick you silly.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

If the stitching broke due to the general movement and flexing of your fingers inside, the fabric flexing out is the only way it would go. It wouldn't make much sense for them to implode would it?

Perhaps the fingers were too tight? Not all hands are the same shape after all. They may have been stitched for hands with shorter fingers than yours. I have the opposite problem. My fingers are marginally shorter than others my same size, so most gloves seem to have too much finger for me. Maybe those gloves would have fit me better.

My point is...of all the possible things that could cause your gloves to break while walking, I'd say metaphysical phenominon should be the LAST possibility you should consider, only after ruling out all of the far more likely possibilities.

I think you are a little over-eager to 'believe', and it is clouding your better judgement. Try not to loose touch with the difference between 'wishful thinking' and 'reality'.

Being "Open Minded" does not mean choosing whichever reality is more appealing to you. It just means, accepting that there is much that you still don't know...but not at the expense of ignoring the things you DO know...like the laws of reasonable probability.

Like I said before...too much BS is bad for your health.

=^.^'= ~
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

those are some good points, vuldari. see, i'm not a hundred percent sure that phantom limbs can't react with physical things, but it does sound a lil bit BS-y to me.

but yeah, we all need to make sure that we keep our hopes or what we want separate from facts.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Ok I have to come out and say it. What is a phantom limb?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Ok I have to come out and say it. What is a phantom limb?
it's when you feel as though you have a limb that is not there, like a tail. you get the sensation of having a tail, without really having one.

people who lose arms or legs or something still have the part of the brain what felt the limb when they had it, so at times they can still "feel" itches, pain, or other feelings in the limb that has been removed.

many therians and other anthro fans say they feel phantom limbs or wings or tails or ears set on near the top of the head (liek a wolf or whatever) paws instead of hands or whatever.

yeah. that's about as good as i can 'slpain 'em.
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

nachoboy wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:Ok I have to come out and say it. What is a phantom limb?
people who lose arms or legs or something still have the part of the brain what felt the limb when they had it, so at times they can still "feel" itches, pain, or other feelings in the limb that has been removed.
Yeah Ive heard about that before.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living

Post by Lukas »

The sensation that an amputated limb is still attached, often associated with painful paresthesia. Also called pseudesthesia.
an often painful sensation of the presence of a limb that has been amputated called also phantom pain, phantom sensations
n : the illusion that a limb still exists after it has been amputated
furry and/or thiarn version: a feeling of a limb which is either of a animal or of a mythical creature such as unicorns, dragons, etc.
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)