Methods of infection.

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

i like the fact of genetics and being bitten, under a full moon when you are bitten though? well if you are bitten under a full moon i think what should happen is that you will turn into a werewolf, but you will be unable to controll yourself at all so you go on a killing freenzy... but thats just my thoughts
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

If it's a virus, then you would probably have an incubation period.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

It's just a minor flesh wound

Post by Scott Gardener »

In my works, I gave the incubation period a week to ten days; I figured that was the bare minimum amount of time it would take for a few thousand viruses to replicate enough to occupy the trillions of cells throughout the human body and to make the neccessary and rather ambitious modifcations. Any faster would risk killing the host from a hemorrhagic fever similar to ebola.

GURPS agreed with my math; when I tried their game system for designing a metamorphic virus, plugging in all the features of my version of lycanthropy, I came out with a ten day incubation period.

But, a one month incubation period would be easier to swallow, and would make sense for those of you who use the full moon. Someone gets bitten by a werewolf on a full moon. The following full moon, one month later, would be when the incubation period would have finished and the person ready to shift.

I haven't read too many sources that included scratches as contageous--mostly fan works. (I found one book.) Generally, in order to get it, it has to be a bite. I can't flat out say that scratches don't work, but it doesn't make sense if you follow a virus theory, unless the thing were so contageous that light contact could spread the thing. If, however, you opt for a metaphysical phenomenon, then you could do it that way.

And, let's face it. So many of us like the idea of infectious lycanthropy because it leaves open the daydream that somehow, somewhere, they're out there, and you can still get pulled into their world.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Scratches could work, if say the were got his (or another were's) blood on his claws. Assuming the saliva also contained the virus, you could end up gettng it on the claws easily too. :P

Granted through, claw infection is gonna have a lower chance of happening than a bite.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Bite me

Post by Scott Gardener »

Maybe if one slobbered on one's claws before slashing--but, that conveys deliberate intent to infect, as opposed to biting someone followed by his or her happening to get away and survive.
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Suppose that the virus is spread in such ways as being bitten and/or scratched, and the virus does take and incubation period of about ten days could the virus also be a deliverer of a gene, similar to what happened to giraffs.... and it is passed down through the generations and becomes a recesive trait, what would happened if a person with this recesive trait becomes infected again what would happen? Would the new infection cause the gene to become active or what?

Just an interesting point some of my friends and I were pondering....
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

These genes are too tight

Post by Scott Gardener »

Recessive traits are such because they are suppressed by normal genes. Re-infection would only work if the infecting virus also shut off the normal genes. But, it could work if it did.

However, for the record, there is no way that all of lycanthropy could be done with one gene, let alone a recessive one. It would take a ton of dominant genes to regulate shapeshifting.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

In my version of were creatures you have to be exposed for a while to actually get it, or you have to have gotten it delibrately transmitted.

I made it so that were you to have a werewolf father, you would not be one, but a werewolf mother would expose you long enough for the virus to take effect. If you were bitten it would not work unless you were slobbered on excessively. You could get it from a scratch, but only if the giver used magic (for lack of a better word) to preserve the virus.

The reason you needed to actually get exposed for a while is that your immune system would kill it off if not preserved or if there wasn't a large enough pool of it already.

Then again, the are multiple variants of the virus (for different species as well as for entire families of animals and also different regional effects). There is one type that is highly infectious because of its fast reproduction rate and its immunity towards your immune system. Unfourtunately, it kills you after ten or so years while degenerating your brain and making you go insane. It selectively ruinsthe forebrain while leaving the motor cortex for last. It also allows the Kaiia (alien species) to partially controll you.

The virus makes you immune to most diseases, since it bolters your imune system and actively protects its host, but you still aren't entirely immmune to some diseases thatwork too fast or have evolved resistances.

So that took a long time. But that's how it works in my universe (well, not the one in my profile - a variant being typed by me alone, using most of the ideas and info from Shadowmoon Wolf.).
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

I didn't mean that lycanthropy was done by one gene alone. I was just saying that the virus could become part of the host's DNA....

I also meant that the gene/s could be recessive in some people and dominant in others, that could be why you don't see a lot of wws around...
It was just a thought.... :(
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Hmmm... it could be that the gene(s) is(are) recessive, so for it to work you wuld need a double recessive... and the gene(s) itself(themselves) would be rare
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Thank you :D

Tha's what I was trying to get at....
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Actually, you can't have werewolves through a "recessive" gene because "recessive" means, in this case, that, the gene that normally codes for a particular protein has been "turned off," in that it no longer makes the protein that does whatever it's supposed to do, whether that's to make antigenic proteins for your red blood cells, or to keep your hair straight, and not curly, or to make pink pigments to keep your petals from being white.
Contrary to what White Wolf said, in that it "was a recessive gene where less than 1 in 10 get,"
I would think that lycanthropy would be caused by a whole suite of dominant genes, as, after all, it would seem logical that turning into a werewolf would necessitate a veritable encyclopedia's worth of proteins, enzymes and hormones.
That all of these genes be extremely rare, and that they do not manifest a phenotype if even one of the genes are missing, would explain why inherited "true" lycanthropy is unknown to medicine and genetics.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Apokryltaros wrote:Actually, you can't have werewolves through a "recessive" gene because "recessive" means, in this case, that, the gene that normally codes for a particular protein has been "turned off," in that it no longer makes the protein that does whatever it's supposed to do, whether that's to make antigenic proteins for your red blood cells, or to keep your hair straight, and not curly, or to make pink pigments to keep your petals from being white.
Contrary to what White Wolf said, in that it "was a recessive gene where less than 1 in 10 get,"
I would think that lycanthropy would be caused by a whole suite of dominant genes, as, after all, it would seem logical that turning into a werewolf would necessitate a veritable encyclopedia's worth of proteins, enzymes and hormones.
That all of these genes be extremely rare, and that they do not manifest a phenotype if even one of the genes are missing, would explain why inherited "true" lycanthropy is unknown to medicine and genetics.
To clarify something, White Wolf's Garou's werewolf side was spiritual in nature. The gene was only there to facilitate the spirtual transformation, to allow it to " turn on " as it were. It's not there to completely change them.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
netherwurm
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by netherwurm »

It just accord to me. Werewolves are superior to humans, and according to evolution they will eventually cause the extinction of the human race. I mean whats stopping the virus from spreading through every human on the face of the earth? Of course it would probably take a few hundred/thousand years.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

One reason I don't really suscribe to the disease theory...... :wink:
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

...Nothing, and that's probbly what would make it so scary...
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

It wouldn't necesarily cause the exstinction of the human race after all humans tend to destroy what they do not understand....
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:P it woudnt unless it killed people.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

If everyone on the planet became werecreatures then there wouldn't be any homo sapiens left....... :wink:

Perhaps they would be classified Homo Lupus :D
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

... it would only be so if it actually changed the base DNA everywhere, permanently, to the point where they could not mate and produce children. (lupus/sapiens.)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Gene modding

Post by Scott Gardener »

Werewolves made by a virus would still most likely count as their species of origin. That is, if I got bitten by a werewolf and then became one myself, I'd still be a human and not a wolf, even if I could look like one.

Unless the virus was extremely sophisticated--enough to throw out human DNA and build a wolf genome from scratch, and then reconstruct the human genome on top of it. But, why bother doing all that when you can get the same effect for considerably less work as described above?

Reproduction is a useful tool for defining species, but it has its limits. It was used by taxonomists to follow genetic trends in the mating habits of populations. It breaks down when you start getting into genetic engineering, when new species are mixed up artificially.

My storyline involves lycanthropy via a virus, and I have my scientists reach the general consensus that a human infected with lycanthropy is still a human. Later on, as humanity develops genetic engineering technology, werewolves are described as the first examples of genetically modified humans. A "purebred" human without genetic modifications is referred to as a "genetic standard human."
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Sounds reasonable... :D
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Meh. I read the story, so i knwo what you're talking about... however, to make a new species, it really does depend on how much the base DNA is changed; if it's a suppliment it's just a virus, if its CHANGED it's a new species.