Fur Color

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Lazywolf wrote:This werewolf by Goldenwolf has a good fur color I think:
This is also the picture I would use to show the perfect werewolf. Great body structure all the way! Good work, Goldie!
Hmm, no, I think not. Don't get me wrong, Gold is a great artist, but it just looks too peacefull to me. Also, the head looks too much like a normal wolf. And some people are forgetting that (were)wolves are still predators...
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Just because they're predators doesn't mean they have to be like this all of the time.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Not all the time, no.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:Hmm, no, I think not. Don't get me wrong, Gold is a great artist, but it just looks too peacefull to me. Also, the head looks too much like a normal wolf. And some people are forgetting that (were)wolves are still predators...
1) The picture serves better as an anatomical reference as opposed to a concept image. The facial expression may differ by opinion, but in terms of anatomy, I think it's fairly accurate.

2) There are only three very prominant differences between a human's face and a wolf's face: the fur, muzzle, and positioning of the ears. They may appear too wolven when included, but other filmakers have experimented with having werewolves with round ears or chins and we have dubbed them "cat things" or "man-apes" in rant threads. It may appear too far into anthromorphism, but blending a human and wolf head together has been tried before with little success. The fact that they are bipedal should indicate their human side well enough.

3) Dachsunds and Welsh Corgis are carnivores too. Just because they eat meat doesn't mean they can only be seen when hunting (anyone that's seen Darkwolf will tell you what's wrong with that).
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Just so that all the fur color comments can be kind of together, I thought I'd post a link to the more recent fur color topic that started out specific but ended up being about fur color in general.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Figarou wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:(Hey, you hairy men, does your chest hair gray out when your head does?)

*looks at own chest and finds one grey hair*

*pluck* OW!!

I'm getting old. :(
I felt the same way when I had my 15th b-day :)
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Humans too are predators and we certainly don't behave, or look monstrously all the time.

As for the entire mixture thing. Yeah, it doesn't work, as it was already pointed out, there arn't that many differences between a wolfs face and a humans face, so you cannot throw in too many human features before the "wolfy" characteristics become unrecognizable.
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Fenrir wrote:
Figarou wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:(Hey, you hairy men, does your chest hair gray out when your head does?)

*pluck* OW!!

You found a grey chest hair on your 15th B-Day? :?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
Reigning Fyre
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?

Post by Reigning Fyre »

M'kay...here's what I don't understand, and I'm just a n00b, sorry for this. If a person had unnatural highlights put into their hair, and then became their wolf, would the wolf have that hair color? That'd look mighty odd...... :P
Thirty days hath September
April, June, and November,
all the rest but the second have thirty-one,
Rain and snow and jolly sun,
and the moon grows fat in every one.
Reigning Fyre
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?

Post by Reigning Fyre »

Kavik wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Figarou wrote:

*pluck* OW!!

Does it count when you put gray hair into your head? ?? I dye my hair with silver/white blonde streaks... :D
Thirty days hath September
April, June, and November,
all the rest but the second have thirty-one,
Rain and snow and jolly sun,
and the moon grows fat in every one.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Morkulv wrote:
Lazywolf wrote:This werewolf by Goldenwolf has a good fur color I think:
This is also the picture I would use to show the perfect werewolf. Great body structure all the way! Good work, Goldie!
Hmm, no, I think not. Don't get me wrong, Gold is a great artist, but it just looks too peacefull to me. Also, the head looks too much like a normal wolf. And some people are forgetting that (were)wolves are still predators...
Goldies has drawn her fair share of scary Werewolves.

Example:

A wolf's snarl is quite fearsome. :P
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Kavik wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Figarou wrote:

*pluck* OW!!

Felt like I was old not found a grey hair and was jk 8) :P
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:*looks at own chest and finds one grey hair*

*pluck* OW!!

I've had a single white hair growing on my head since high school. :roll:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:*looks at own chest and finds one grey hair*

*pluck* OW!!

I've had a single white hair growing on my head since high school. :roll:
I found a white hair growing out of my Mustache a few months back, but it must have fallen out or something because I cant find it anymore.

...it's odd. When one is 40+, finding white hairs is often a depressing thing, but if all of my hair were to turn white this year (I'm 24...almost...), I'd probobly think it was really cool. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

hmmn.., I find black hairs in my eyelashes and eyebrows all teh time. Being blond that is not a good thing. :P

I often wonder what will happen as I age. My gram went from dirty blode to dark brown to black to silver-gunpowder flecked gray.

My other grand went white.

Will Ijust go black? o.o then gray?

I really don't want to find out. :P
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote: I found a white hair growing out of my Mustache a few months back, but it must have fallen out or something because I cant find it anymore.

There is one part of my mustache where the hair is several colors. Brown white and grey. I never let the hair grow because it looks like a booger is hanging out of my nose.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote:...it's odd. When one is 40+, finding white hairs is often a depressing thing, but if all of my hair were to turn white this year (I'm 24...almost...), I'd probobly think it was really cool. Image
IIRC, my reaction was "Oh crap I'm going gray!" I've since calmed down since it's just one hair.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I am totally in favor of the wolf's fur color reflecting the human's hair color in some way. My hair is a dark goldish/with a bit of red. If I was in wolf form, it would make no sense for my fur to be grey or black or white. I think most human hair colors can easily be paid homage to in wolf fur colors. I agree with a statement made earlier about white wolves. I think they are beautiful and I like them too. All the more reason for only older werewolves (i.e. humans with white hair) to have white fur. It would be a mark of distinction and honor, and having only older wolves have white fur would make it more rare and therefore more special when a white wolf was present. But that is just my opinion.

As far as artificial human hair colors, this is my opinion. If a human dyed their hair blue, I wouldn't mind seeing a wolf with a tiny bit of blue on its head, but certainly not its entire body. It would seem as though a werewolf who dyed the hair on their human head would lose the artificial color faster, due to all the shifting. The reason I am ok with the gestalt form having a bit of blue is because it seems logical that some of the original human hair (albeit shorter) would be retained in the TF, and not be entirely new, though most of it would be.

However, for all intents and purposes it seems as though many of these issues may in fact be moot points, because there doesn't appear to be a werewolf with artificial hair color in Freeborn. It's a curious topic, but I doubt it would be approached in the film because it might be hard to work around. Also, there is a clearly blonde paw on the Freeborn homepage, so it looks as though hair color will play a factor (unless of course this is only tentative)

As far as werewolf faces go, I agree that blending sucks. I would like to see an entirely or nearly entirely wolf face and head. When a werewolf is in gestalt form, I would like it to be capable of looking terrifying or warm and regal, depending on the mood of said werewolf (much like a real wolf). Varying facial expressions for the wolves would be a big plus for me. I love in Van Helsing when he just realizes he's killed that girl and he looks all sad. Despite my opinions on the faces being entirely wolven, I would like to see some human intelligence in the eyes, when in wolf or gestalt form. After all, no matter how long they stay in either wolf or gestalt form, they will never lose their humanity.

So those are my thoughts and opinions. If anyone disagrees, you're certainly entitled to do so, but these are just conclusions that I have come to based on past werewolf movies that I liked and didn't like. I hope I'll get along well with the rest of the pack! :wink:
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

There was one article about werewolf fur colors reflecting hair colors in another forum I used to vist a while back.

Most human hair colo ris reflected in some simialr ways to wolf fur colors. Even blond fur can be found, though often its not a "solid blond", as it is flecked with other hairs of different colors.

This can be obtained by a lighter undercoat of tan or dun, and a heavier outer coat of light brown or redish brown. When mixed you can get something simialr to strwberry blond ( my fave hair color! though not my own ;) ).
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Trinity wrote:( my fave hair color! though not my own ;) ).
I know how you feel! My hair's a decent color I guess, but way to dark for my taste. There's a girl that goes to school with me that has bright blonde/red hair. It's nice and straight too, with no frizzies. It annoys me that other people won the hair lottery and I didn't.

Yah sorry for getting off topic...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Excelsia wrote:
Trinity wrote:( my fave hair color! though not my own ;) ).
I know how you feel! My hair's a decent color I guess, but way to dark for my taste. There's a girl that goes to school with me that has bright blonde/red hair. It's nice and straight too, with no frizzies. It annoys me that other people won the hair lottery and I didn't.

Yah sorry for getting off topic...
When you see someone with very nice looking smooth, straight hair of an eye-catching color (even natural-looking blondes, reds and blacks), there is a very good chance that persons hair is NOT naturally straight or that color. ...you can bet that girl has to spend alot of time and money to get her hair to look like that.

As for the main topic...I think the persons natural Hair color in their Human form should definately influence their fur color in Wolf or Gestalt form, but I don't want to see solid color wolves. I think there should definately be some color layering, texturing and even some characterising patterns in some cases. IMHO
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

[quote=Vuldari]As for the main topic...I think the persons natural Hair color in their Human form should definately influence their fur color in Wolf or Gestalt form, but I don't want to see solid color wolves.[/quote]

I could see maybe one of the werewolves as mostly one color, (usually black, though I've seen a couple of gray wolves that were mostly gray) but only one werewolf, and only if you had 6-8 other werewolves. Most wolves aren't one one soild color, so I wouldn't expect most werewolves to be either.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:I could see maybe one of the werewolves as mostly one color, (usually black, though I've seen a couple of gray wolves that were mostly gray) but only one werewolf, and only if you had 6-8 other werewolves. Most wolves aren't one one soild color, so I wouldn't expect most werewolves to be either.
Even Wild wolves that appear to be nearly solid black, white, redish brown or grey actually have hairs of varying colors in their fur, but I agree. Any colors or patterns (even flat, solid color ones) that appear in nature, I would have no problem with seeing on a werwolf.

=^.^'= ~
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Mane the colour of the human's hair, and grey everywhere else?

I do like the idea of the "infecting WW" biting their own pelt colour into the victim.