QUOTES

The place for anything at all...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:"The tallest blade of grass is first to be cut by the mower" -some guy
its usually the part where the lawn mower leaves the sidewalk or driveway that gets cut 1st. :wink:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

But even there the tallest blades get cut first.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

"For every winner there are dozens of losers, odds are you're one of them" -a man with no life
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:But even there the tallest blades get cut first.

And how do you know its the tallest in the whole yard?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

It doesn't have to be the tallest in the yard, just the tallest of the ones getting cut first.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

The logic is clear, no matter where you cut the tallest blade of grass among the mower will be cut first.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:The logic is clear, no matter where you cut the tallest blade of grass among the mower will be cut first.

Thats scientific research for you. :wink:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Actually, it was a case of simple deduction.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

It's not scientific research, just deductive reasoning.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:It's not scientific research, just deductive reasoning.
Akela wrote:Actually, it was a case of simple deduction.

ok ok.......whatever!! :P

:duckieinmouth:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

You and Lupin like to debate alot don't you?

Err... not so much a debate as a massacre.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Geez. I've got 1599 hand-selected quotes in my sig and I'm only allowed to choose three??
:lol:

The sleight of hand, fake fetch throw. You fooled a dog! Whoooo Hoooooooo what a proud moment for the top of the food chain.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

Lao-Tzu:
A leader is best when people barely know that he exists. Less good when they obey and acclaim him. Worse when they fear and despise him. Fail to honor people, and they fail to honor you. But of a good leader, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say, "We did this ourselves."

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:Geez. I've got 1599 hand-selected quotes in my sig and I'm only allowed to choose three??
:lol:
1599 quotes? :jawdrop: Man, it'll take forever to read them all since they sometimes repeat.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Akela wrote:"The tallest blade of grass is first to be cut by the mower" -some guy
Lupin wrote:It's not scientific research, just deductive reasoning.
Akela wrote:Actually, it was a case of simple deduction.
...wait...but that's not true at all.

The first blade to be cut will be the first one that is just tall enough to be caught by the mowers blade, and comes in contact with said blade.

Like this...

.............................................|
|........................................| | |
| | | |.............| | |....| <-(mower blade level)-
| | | | | | | | | |
-----------------
1234 567 8910

If the grass was arranged like this, regardless of which dirrection the mower is coming from, it would be either blade 1 or blade 9 that would be cut first and NOT blade 6, which is the Tallest.

Your logic is flawed.
:thpt2:
Last edited by Vuldari on Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vilkacis wrote: The sleight of hand, fake fetch throw. You fooled a dog! Whoooo Hoooooooo what a proud moment for the top of the food chain.
Typicallly, I don't like quotes that are critical of humanity, but I sure do like this one! :lol:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote: ...wait...but that's not true at all.

The first blade to be cut will be the first one that is just tall enough to be caught by the mowers blade, and comes in contact with said blade.

If the grass was arranged like this, regardless of which dirrection the mower is coming from, it would be either blade 1 or blade 9 that would be cut first and NOT blade 6, which is the Tallest.
This is the way I look at it. Most mowers have some sort of air suction to remove the already cut grass from the mowing area. This has a habit of sucking blades of grass into the mowing area.

The blade of grass that would be cut first is the one that can bend farthest into the mowing area, which would the tallest blade of grass.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Ladies and gentlemen...for the 1st time in forum posting history!!!

A debate on which blade of grass gets cut 1st by a lawn mower!!

:jester2:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:
Vuldari wrote: ...wait...but that's not true at all.

This is the way I look at it. Most mowers have some sort of air suction to remove the already cut grass from the mowing area. This has a habit of sucking blades of grass into the mowing area.

The blade of grass that would be cut first is the one that can bend farthest into the mowing area, which would the tallest blade of grass.
That will guarantee that the longest blade in question will be cut, even if it had been laying down flat, but the fact remains that there are bound to be slightly shorter blades that will also bend into the blade and will get thwacked by it first.

I can only see the bending thing being a factor if the longest blade happened to be 4-times as long as any other around it, which is a pretty off-chance occurance to call an "allways".
Figarou wrote:Ladies and gentlemen...for the 1st time in forum posting history!!!

A debate on which blade of grass gets cut 1st by a lawn mower!!
Yeah...I know it's silly.

I just couldn't resist being a smart-@**...just this once. Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote: That will guarantee that the longest blade in question will be cut, even if it had been laying down flat, but the fact remains that there are bound to be slightly shorter blades that will also bend into the blade and will get thwacked by it first.
That depends on whether or not the shorter grass blades are still tall enough after bending to remain in the area that is covered by cutting surface of the mower blade. The tallest grass blade has the best probabilty of bending the farthest, and being tall enough after bending to remain in the path of blade.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:
Vuldari wrote: That will guarantee that the longest blade in question will be cut, even if it had been laying down flat, but the fact remains that there are bound to be slightly shorter blades that will also bend into the blade and will get thwacked by it first.
That depends on whether or not the shorter grass blades are still tall enough after bending to remain in the area that is covered by cutting surface of the mower blade. The tallest grass blade has the best probabilty of bending the farthest, and being tall enough after bending to remain in the path of blade.
...a much higher probablility, certainly, but insufficient to be considered an "allways" (even in "casual exageration" terms).

I'm curious now as to what context that quote was intended to apply.

Is it comparable to "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" ? ...basically adding up to, "if you get too big, you are going to get the biggest, most harsh share of lifes troubles." ...or sometthing like that?

=^.^'= ~
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I was going to state the exact same thing Vuldari did, yet when Vuldari mentioned it before me he did it in a better way anyways. Using his diagram and all.

How 'bout 'The nail that sticks up is hammered down.'

And Vuldari, I ethier think the saying about the grass blade has to do with people sticking out too much from the rest, or something comparible to 'The bigger you are the harder you fall.'
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

ENOUGH WITH THE ELEPHANTS AND THE GRASS ALREADY!!! Yeesh, no wonder your post counts are so high!

*ahem*

Quotes from BRIMSTONE:

Ezekiel Stone: You really push a man to the brink.
The Devil: I am the brink.

[Stone brushes his teeth]
The Devil: Four out of five dentists surveyed agree, tooth decay is no longer a problem... once you're dead.

[The Devil interrupts Stone as he's having breakfast]
Ezekiel Stone: What do you want?
The Devil: Your every waking moment consumed with holding up your end of our bargain.
Ezekiel Stone: Man's gotta eat.
The Devil: A living man, perhaps. But, for you, this would be classified as recreation. Like those idle thoughts of yours replaying that sweet bygone day over and over. As if, you're expecting a different outcome. Some people would call that insane.
Ezekiel Stone: Yeah? What would they call a conversation with the Devil over breakfast?
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

[spoiler]"You know, it just occured, to me, if you say,"jesus fricking christ! you're telling jesus to frick himself."~[/spoiler]Me, thursday afternoon (it randomly occured to me as i was walkign to my lokcer at teh end of teh day)

"and god said to abraham, where is your a**?"~ my friend, when she was REALLY bored

"Du a** speise."~ the entire german class. it means 'you ate food." seriously, a** means ate in german. it's pronounced oss, though.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:1599 quotes? :jawdrop: Man, it'll take forever to read them all since they sometimes repeat.
Unfortunately, I have noticed that my random is not very random... it has a tendency to favor certain quotes and serve them up again over and over.

I'm not sure it's worth it to bother fixing, though.

A woman is yelling at her husband. "You're gonna be really sorry! I'm going to leave you!" she screams. The husband says, "Make up your mind. Which one is it gonna be?"

What do you mean you had the dog fixed? Just what made you think he was broken!?

A new koan:
        If you have some ice cream, I will give it to you.
        If you have no ice cream, I will take it away from you.
It is an ice cream koan.

-- Vilkacis
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Vilkacis wrote:A woman is yelling at her husband. "You're gonna be really sorry! I'm going to leave you!" she screams. The husband says, "Make up your mind. Which one is it gonna be?"
Which reminded me of this one:

"My girlfriend asked me 'If I leave here tomorrow, will you still remember me?'
I said 'What's your name again Honey?'"
~Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith, K-DST, GTA: San Andreas