The religious impact

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

the only thing i'm wandering right now is where the heck did u get that quote from? i may have said live ur life the way u want but i never said anything about sparta so where did u get that nonscence from?
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

1. You can edit quotes and 2. that's from 300.
Silverwolfman
Legendary
Legendary
Location: Cambria,Wisconsin away from other lycans like myself, man it gets lonely here!!!

Post by Silverwolfman »

i know that but nvm back to the topic :roll:
Werewolves are seen as cold blood killers to some. In my eyes we're all part of this world and must be accepted not rejected or driven away.
NetherMoon
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by NetherMoon »

I agree that normal people may not think that werewolves are demons or evil creatures. But probably the discovery of werewolves will lead to the birth of new pseudo-religious sects adoring or imitating the way of life of werewolves. So I think that even if normal people may not be frightened by wws, the official religions and churches will tend to stress the fact that wws are a dangerous specie, and will depict them as demons or something like that, in order to keep control on their followers. This behaviour may lead to the creation of local organizations (also paramilitary, tolerated by official religions) whose goal is to "protect" normal people from wws and their relatives/followers.
NetherMoon

Respect Those Beneath Ye - All Are of Gaia
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

To quote Agent K, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

In other words, while I agree that most people would not immediately presume werewolves are demons or otherwise inherently evil, the most common reaction at the exposure of werewolves would be something along the lines of "Holy crap! Holy crap! What do we do?! What do we do?!!"

The first person to respond that sounds like he might even have a clue about what he's talking about could easily convince hundreds, maybe even thousands, to support his cause. And you can bet the first people to comment will be the guys that give Christianity a bad name.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Fanatics of any religion, or for that matter, any political movement, social group, or belief, tend to be very dangerous and irrational. If they consider Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter, Pokemon, and even herbal tea the marks of The Beast, you could count on your Jerry Falwells of the world to rise up and blast werewolves as demons. Likewise, if some of us have in our angry adulescence thought about how nice it would be as a werewolf to go on a killer rampage, you can only guess what would the next mal-adjusted "I hate rich people" student assassin would do. We're still getting over how much damage a kid with a gun did in Virginia; give one lycanthropy, and the horror movies about werewolves would look tame, holding back. Now that I think about it, I've really under-represented just how much bloodshed there would be. And, the fanatics on both sides would fan each other's flames.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

That's another aspect we never discussed before (at least that I know of). We'd be bringing another potentially destructive power into the world if we somehow created lycanthropy. There's always the chance that it will be abused, so should we risk creating it at all?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Lycanthropy in today's society would be world-shaking. But, by the time technology makes it possible for us to engineer it, enough other things would have to have already been invented along the way, with their own impacts to medicine, philosophy, social outlook, religion, and daily living, that it could just be a niche novelty. Maybe some hundred years from now, there will be a discussion board about someone finally designing a lycanthrope virus that makes someone shift into a decent-looking werewolf with a tail, instead of all the crap already available.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

That's an interesting take - I tend to think that once genetic manipulation and cosmetic surgery smash together (where a dragon in the niche could get wings and a tail - along with the ability to use them), real life might start resembling some areas of Second Life.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Deleted
Last edited by cumulusprotagonist on Wed May 09, 2007 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Yet racism exists, has existed, and probably will continue to exist until everyone can learn to love everyone else. Until then it's an imposiblility to erradicate it.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

You make a good point about angry teens and lycanthropy Scott, but that could be balanced out by the current need for werewolf anonymity -- one bad apple runs the risk of exposing the entire werewolf population to the mob.

No doubt in my mind, there would be angry kids that would want to be infected with lycanthropy so they could go on a rampage (heck, I know of plenty of therians like that already). The chances of a werewolf actually giving someone like that what they want, however, I think would be fairly slim.

The more likely breaking point I think would be not when some dumb kid slaughters his classmates in gestalt form, but when said kid is found murdered and the accused killer is another werewolf that was trying to stop him. If he was deemed competent to stand trial and/or his story was leaked to the press, that's when the Christian fanatics would take up their arms and the poser wiccans would flood eharmony.com with requests to meet a werewolf.