Silver??

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.
wolfwing
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by wolfwing »

Well acording to the Voodoo moon trilogy, wich is of course far from the definitve knowledge on werewolves though it makes sense, silver is related to the moon and Diana, and if I remember correctly Diana/artemis was acording to greek mythology one of the gods that cursed Lycanous *sp?* the first werewolf, so it would make sense that silver if it's tied to her, would be the only thing that could harm them.
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

You could also take it from a scientific point of view, though this obviously has nothing to do with the old legends where magic took precidence over logic. Say, for instance, that the werewolf's invulnerablility lies in his ability to quickly reproduce cells to heal any wounds he may suffer. Perhaps the unique chemical makeup of silver would somehow interfere with this ability, like how carbon monoxide binds more easily with oxygen than hemoglobin does, thus making it harder to breath. But without a werewolf cell to test this on, scince can hardly be used as an explination. Science's greatest strength and worst flaw is that it can't accept anything without proof.
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

How can anyone say whether a werewolf really gets hurt by silver. Have you ever actually met a werewolf and tried to put him silver or give it to him?

In my thinking, werewolves are only hurt by silver if it enters a wound, or causes a wound. Only then will it burn or leave red marks, bumps, etc.

:howl:  :oo
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

Well... You have to realize that everything on this board is complete and utter guesswork ?? . No one here has claimed to see a werewolf (that I know of) so no one can have the last word. Just don't attack anyone else's ideas and they shouldn't attack yours, ok :D ?
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

Kelpten wrote:Well... You have to realize that everything on this board is complete and utter guesswork ?? . No one here has claimed to see a werewolf (that I know of) so no one can have the last word. Just don't attack anyone else's ideas and they shouldn't attack yours, ok :D ?

I wasnt really trying to attack anyone....I was just saying
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
throughgoldeneyes
Custom Title: embracing the animal within

Re: Silver??

Post by throughgoldeneyes »

hey im new umm i wanted to know how you edit you profile
sorry to stray of topic
i dont really know where the idea that silver can harm a werewolf orignally came from but
i do know that is its something that hollywood cooked up
well i think it is
lol
:D
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Sebiale »

I am more of the opinion that Silver defeats a Vampire, not the Werewolf. Simply because if we're talking about magical properties Silver seems more appropriate for a Vamp...I mean the dudes is a walking dead guy(stereotype) seems like it would need a magical solution, especially if it's one of the more magical vamps, like the whole, reforming from dust thing.(<Actual mythos or Hollywood?)
Also, I probably haven't read half as much mythos on werewolves as the more senior memebers, but I don't think many stories mention the Werewolf being...well, super-human(super-wolf). Alot of the werewolves I read about got killed through normal means, a sword through the gut, burned at the stake, etc.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

I hate church-oriented werewolf stories. They are bad portrayals of the werewolf.

But for myths? I do not know.
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

(From earlier) Tossing either Iron or Silver over the head of a werewolf to make it turn back to human gave me this idea... :nohowling:

Why toss it OVER when you can toss it AT the Werewolf's head? :wiggle:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
archangel_athena
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: isabella

Post by archangel_athena »

my mother is related to indians...she said that silver myths was just humans ways to think that they had a chance against us.....
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Grey »

If silver was such a threat to were wolves, then wouldn't there be cases of people reacting to silver objects? Or maybe I'm just thinking of kryptonite.

I would figure that if anything, silver would represent The Moon to wolves. So they would have silver as part of thier worship of the moon. The two things just got mistaken for something else.
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.