Why Mars Attack funny?

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Why Mars Attack funny?

Post by Sebiale »

I laugh at, but I don't know why...it seems like I should be horrified, but I just end up laughing.
Like when the Martians are slaughtering the soldiers during first contact, and when the martian leader is leering at the girl, and especially when the dog's head is attached to the girls body(LoL), I just find that funny for some strange reason...
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: Why Mars Attack funny?

Post by Terastas »

I truly pity anyone that sits down to watch a movie called Mars Attacks! with the intention of taking it seriously. :grinp:

Seriously, the whole thing is just a massive parody spliced with a massive Saturday morning cartoon. They go bowling with the Easter Island heads, they take a tourist photo in front of the Taj Mahal as they're blowing it up, they ward off a nuclear attack by sucking it into a balloon (then inhale it and talk with squeaky voices). . . It's a MST3K movie that doesn't require riffing! :lol:
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:I truly pity anyone that sits down to watch a movie called Mars Attacks! with the intention of taking it seriously. :grinp:
I pity anyone who takes the movie 2012 seriously as well.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:I pity anyone who takes the movie 2012 seriously as well.
:eyebrow: Er. . . Okay, that's different because 2012 actually was written with the intent of being taken seriously. Marks Attacks is to 2012 as SpongeBob is to Telletubbies.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:
Morkulv wrote:I pity anyone who takes the movie 2012 seriously as well.
:eyebrow: Er. . . Okay, that's different because 2012 actually was written with the intent of being taken seriously. Marks Attacks is to 2012 as SpongeBob is to Telletubbies.
Really?? Did you see 2012? I thought it was almost B-movie quality. The visuals are nice, but the script, the acting, and nearly everything else falls flat on its face. If it was actually written with the intent of being taken seriously, they failed miserably..
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Yeah, that's the point. 2012 was intended to be a serious movie, and failed miserably, whereas Mars Attacks! was intended to be a joke. Mars Attacks! only failing was in that it's humor ended up being more weird than actually funny. Sort of like The Naked Gun for alien movies (only that The Naked Gun was actually kinda funny, while Mars Attacks! was just strange).
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Uniform Two Six wrote:Yeah, that's the point. 2012 was intended to be a serious movie, and failed miserably, whereas Mars Attacks! was intended to be a joke. Mars Attacks! only failing was in that it's humor ended up being more weird than actually funny. Sort of like The Naked Gun for alien movies (only that The Naked Gun was actually kinda funny, while Mars Attacks! was just strange).
*nods* Or what Austin Powers to action movies.

The only reason Mars Attacks! failed at the box office, I'm convinced, is because I guess the advertising team thought the premises would sell itself as a comedy automatically so they mock billed it as a serious action flick. . . Successfully. :P
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Terastas wrote:
Uniform Two Six wrote:Yeah, that's the point. 2012 was intended to be a serious movie, and failed miserably, whereas Mars Attacks! was intended to be a joke. Mars Attacks! only failing was in that it's humor ended up being more weird than actually funny. Sort of like The Naked Gun for alien movies (only that The Naked Gun was actually kinda funny, while Mars Attacks! was just strange).
*nods* Or what Austin Powers to action movies.

The only reason Mars Attacks! failed at the box office, I'm convinced, is because I guess the advertising team thought the premises would sell itself as a comedy automatically so they mock billed it as a serious action flick. . . Successfully. :P
Ironic failure neh.
We do not stop being children when we learn of death, we stop being children when we make peace with it.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I actually never found it funny.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Mars Attacks!, The Naked Gun, or Austin Powers?
Sebiale
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Sebiale »

Austin Powers
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Naked Gun.