Wanted: Art to Colorize

Commissions offers, art for sale, auctions, etc.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Wanted: Art to Colorize

Post by WolvenOne »

Today I set up a new checking account for practical reasons, and as I was leaving the bank it occured to me that I was now in a position to get a paypal account. This prospect intrigued me, largely because I've often wanted to set up a little colorization buisness so I could do something I enjoyed and actually get paid for it. However it has been awhile since I did a serious colorization job for anybody, almost six months to be precise. So I think before I officially set this up and charge people five bucks a figure, I should take the time and do a handfull of colorization jobs for free. So if any of you artist types out there would like to have something of yours colorized and you're on a budget, then by all means send it over and I'll do my best to get it back to you promptly.

Of course I don't want to see anything with highly risque or whatnot, but, as long as there isn't any graphic depictions of nudity or gore it'll probably be fine. Cartoon nudity and violence of course is fine, after all I'm not so prudish as to hyperventalate every time I see Bugs Bunny without pants.

Here's an example of my work. Sorry for the large file size.

PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Ooh, cute! :)
Since I usually only get 3 hours a week at my job, cash is a bit tight, so I normally work in trades. Hopefully we could work something out? ^_^ I have one that I would love to have coloured. (I'm usually not overly happy with my own colouring)
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20646757/
If you feel like doing it that would be awesome, but if you've got other stuff going on or would rather work for cash than trade, that's understandable too. :)
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Hehehe

Okay I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I'm not charging people at the moment. You see it's been some time since my last colorization job and it'll take a few pieces to refresh myself. So for the time being everything I'm doing is free.

So I'll take a little poke at that picture of yours, don't worry about payment or whatnot.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

why dont you try some of my drawing i have in my post, but there not scanned so i doubt you will. :(
Last edited by Shadow Wulf on Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, scan em and send em on over, I'll get to em.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

scanner dont have the right plug now, can you trace my work and color it or something.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

...Well..........If you are looking for something to practice on, feel free to knock yourself out on any of THESE.

I've been meaning to color them for years...but I suck when it comes to working in color, so I never got around to it.
(I have a cleaner version of the dragon picture if you are interested.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I'll have to see if I can get rid of those note-book lines first. There's supposed to be a method but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

As for Shadow Wulf.....

....tracing them? Are these pictures already online somewhere or something? Cause I'm getting a bit confused here.
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Mm, much cartoonier then I'm used to.... guess I'll consider is a challenge.

FYI, people should expect to start seeing at least simple colorations this weekend, assuming I'm not camping.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WolvenOne wrote:I'll have to see if I can get rid of those note-book lines first. There's supposed to be a method but I don't remember it off the top of my head.
Oh...I could do that for you. I've allready cleaned up the top picture, so I could finish the other two the same way. The method?..."elbow grease", of course. Image

Cleaner Image

Characters only

Background Only
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
WolvenOne wrote:I'll have to see if I can get rid of those note-book lines first. There's supposed to be a method but I don't remember it off the top of my head.
Oh...I could do that for you. I've allready cleaned up the top picture, so I could finish the other two the same way. The method?..."elbow grease", of course. Image

Cleaner Image

Characters only

Background Only

COOL!!! I can't wait to see this colored!!! :D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:COOL!!! I can't wait to see this colored!!! :D
We don't know if WolvenOne will do this one or not. I was just tossing it out as a possibility, since I have been too lazy to color it myself over the last few years.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:COOL!!! I can't wait to see this colored!!! :D
We don't know if WolvenOne will do this one or not. I was just tossing it out as a possibility, since I have been too lazy to color it myself over the last few years.
I'd like to learn how to color them myself. I tried with the B&W sketch I have of Figarou. I couldn't decide where to put the shadows. I don't have that artistic feel for that. So I gave up. I'll stick to getting better at edits and animated gifs.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Yes, laying out the shadows and the highlights can be very difficult, especially if the artist who drew the black and white piece didn't leave anything to indicate where the lighting was coming from.

In such cases you basically have to pick an angle for the light to be coming from, and wing it the best you can. Playing a lot of 3D games with good lighting effects helps some but when it comes to fine details it largely comes down to estimates and guesswork.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I don't have any problems putting down shadows on black and white drawings, but for some reason, when colors are added to the mix, I get all confused.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

That's understandable. Color images react very differently to light and darkness then black and white does. Largely because it's closer to how we actually percieve things and we don't actually percieve shadows or highlights as concentrations of black or white like we would on a black and white image.

For example, if a person is wearing a red shirt, the shadowy areas arn't actually black, but are instead a deeper/darker shade of red, while the areas where light hits the hardest can become light-pink if it's bright enough.

This may seem pretty basic, but it actually forces the artist to work with a very wide veriety of colors even for simple pictures, and it can be very overwhelming and confusing to people whom are accustomed to working in greyscales.

Oh, and PS, I am poking at that dragon picture, but because of minor technical difficulties it'll take some time.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WolvenOne wrote:Oh, and PS, I am poking at that dragon picture, but because of minor technical difficulties it'll take some time.
Techincal difficulties? ...if it is a problem with the file, or file format, I can re upload it. (instead of gif.-Jpg. bmp. tif. ...etc)

If you don't really feel like finishing that one for me, that's fine. I really should learn to color and finish them myself.

...on the other hand, if you so desire, you could also try your hand at coloring this one instead/also, that I just finished cleaning up. It's not quite perfect yet, (some lines are still broken, and you can clearly see where the notebook lines used to be), but I got tired of working on it for now.

=^.^'= ~
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

WolvenOne wrote:Hehehe

Okay I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I'm not charging people at the moment. You see it's been some time since my last colorization job and it'll take a few pieces to refresh myself. So for the time being everything I'm doing is free.

So I'll take a little poke at that picture of yours, don't worry about payment or whatnot.
First one's always free, eh? :wink: That would be awesome, thanks. *grin* Even so, let me know if you ever would like any art in return. ^_^
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Oh the technical difficulties lay mostly with there being quite a few broken lines. Which basically forces me to lay down the base colors manually instead of using a paint-bucket. It's not a huge deal but it does slow me down a little.
Mercedes_Maxwell
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Mercedes_Maxwell »

Well, if you get a picture that you dont' want to color due to graphic nudity or gore, I have no problem coloring those pictures. ^_^ I've thought about doing what you're doing, but I still don't think I'm that good yet. :P
Maybe this world is another planets hell - Aldous Huxley

Part of the CGFA (Cat Girl Fetish Anonymous)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WolvenOne wrote:Oh the technical difficulties lay mostly with there being quite a few broken lines. Which basically forces me to lay down the base colors manually instead of using a paint-bucket. It's not a huge deal but it does slow me down a little.
...so you ARE working on it. .....COOL! Image

Broken lines...yeah, I imagine there would be. I sketched it on paper with a mechanical pencil. Closing all the gaps was never a consideration, since I never expected to transfer it to a digital medium and "Fill" it in with color using a Flood/Bucket tool later on. If anything, I was going to trace the image (so I wouldn't destroy the original image), and then color the tracing in with colored pencils or markers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:Ahh...I see what you mean. Broken lines make some tasks a bit more frustrating. I decided to try my hand at adding some color to one of my images. I was really struggling at first becasue I am still very unfamiliar with any program more advanced than MS Paint...untill I found the "overlay" brush option just a moment ago. I LOVE finding new tools!!! The more I learn how to use Gimp, the more exited I get as I realize what I am capable of doing with it, and far more easily than I expected.

If THIS is what I get when I'm just being sloppy and careless, I cant' wait to find out what I can do if I REALLY start having fun with it...Image

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, the dragon picture is coming along slowly, but I probably won't be able to get any early renditions of it out till Monday at the earliest. Aside from it being a bit more encompassing then I first anticipated, the folks whom bought out the resteraunt where I worked called me up yesterday and gave me back my old position, so I don't have as much time as I had though I would.

Don't worry though, it will get done, it'll just.... take a little time.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WolvenOne wrote:Don't worry though, it will get done, it'll just.... take a little time.
I'm just thrilled that you are doing it at all. I'd be happy even if you didn't have time to finish it untill a month from now.

...now to get back to that Fox picture.

"...leeeeearning to coooolor...leeeeeearning to coooooolor..." Image

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, just to let everyone know what's been going on.... first I was hit with a lot more work then expected, then I was wrongfully fired *I'll tell you the story sometime,* and that ate up quite a bit of my enthusiasm for.... anything.

Recently I have had time and energy... however I should note that I've been having trouble with Vuldari's dragon picture, and I'm not sure they're even certain they are problems that can be worked around yet.

Long story short, the scan is very rough and I'm having trouble getting it to show up properly when color is laid on top of it. Pretty soon I think I'm going to have to conclude that the only way to do it may be to simply trace over the original lines, though for a picture that detailed that could prove to be a major project.

No I'm not giving up just yet but, thus far it is a difficult looking job.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!