Remakes

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Sheba
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Shy
Mood: Happy

Remakes

Post by Sheba »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Re: Remakes

Post by Morkulv »

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is going to be absolute balls. Almost everything I could see in the trailers made me want to hurl; the CGI looks overproduced, Johnny Depp looks like a dragqueen, and the acting looks quite poor (especially Johnny Depp).
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is going to be absolute balls. Almost everything I could see in the trailers made me want to hurl; the CGI looks overproduced, Johnny Depp looks like a dragqueen, and the acting looks quite poor (especially Johnny Depp).
That's actually the only one on that list that I thought might be redeemable. Keep in mind that Alice In Wonderland was trippy by design, which should be right up Burton's ally. Even Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, which may very well have been Burton's worst film ever, was still at least fairly decent in some regards.

I only have two issues with it thus far, one fairly obvious, the other just a nitpick. First the obvious, and I know you're all thinking it: American McGee "Alice." Now granted, the time between the game's release and this movie's release is too short for Burton to have filched the idea completely, but he still should have looked at that game, noted the similarities and undergone enough of a rewrite to avoid looking like a plagiarist, or at the very least done more than the thing I'm going to nitpick about: that the Cheshire Cat and Mad Hatter have (apparently) swapped roles of significance to the storyline. I'm sure Burton has a good reason for such, but part of the reason the Cat was so integral to the original was because he was immune to the common threat -- the queen yelled "Off with his head!" and the cat made everything below his neck disappear. What the hell clever trick is the Hatter going to pull in that situation?

All the others look like utter crap. Especially The Karate Kid. The original was total crap -- how bad is the remake going to be?
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:
Morkulv wrote:Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is going to be absolute balls. Almost everything I could see in the trailers made me want to hurl; the CGI looks overproduced, Johnny Depp looks like a dragqueen, and the acting looks quite poor (especially Johnny Depp).
That's actually the only one on that list that I thought might be redeemable. Keep in mind that Alice In Wonderland was trippy by design, which should be right up Burton's ally. Even Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, which may very well have been Burton's worst film ever, was still at least fairly decent in some regards.
It is trippy by design, but I'm getting so tired of the Tim Burton / Johnny Depp duo. I'm going to see this movie sooner or later I guess, but I'm not having a lot of hopes for it at all, also because its a Disney-film. If anything, I'd like to see a movie done of American McGee's Alice videogame, which seems to have a lot more in common with the story I think.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:It is trippy by design, but I'm getting so tired of the Tim Burton / Johnny Depp duo.
Good point. Depp's original appeal was his range; his ability to take on any role and play it believably, even to the point that even a die hard Johnny Depp fan can get in the habit of forgetting that it's Johnny Depp. This time, however, there's no mistaking that the Hatter is being played by Johnny Depp. That's not good.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Terastas wrote:
Morkulv wrote:It is trippy by design, but I'm getting so tired of the Tim Burton / Johnny Depp duo.
Good point. Depp's original appeal was his range; his ability to take on any role and play it believably, even to the point that even a die hard Johnny Depp fan can get in the habit of forgetting that it's Johnny Depp. This time, however, there's no mistaking that the Hatter is being played by Johnny Depp. That's not good.
Yeah, and seeing how the Hatter is so much in the foreground of the trailers I think they are aiming for Depp-fans which to me takes alot away from the Carroll-story.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Predators looks like a sequel, or at least a franchise continuation, if no obvious direct connection to any of the characters of the other Predator movies. It looks like they took Cameron's pluralizing the title (Alien to Aliens) and tried to cash in on it. Keep an eye out for Terminators and Robocops soon. We may also see a sequel to Species called Genus or Subfamily soon.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...