Man dies after playing video game 49 hours.

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Man dies after playing video game 49 hours.

Post by Figarou »

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/ne ... 363857.htm

Man dies after playing video game 49 hours

Gamer, 28, barely ate and didn’t sleep during session

The Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea — A 28-year-old man died of an apparent heart attack this week after playing computer games nonstop for 49 hours in an Internet cafe, police said.

The man, identified only by his last name, Lee, collapsed after having eaten minimally and not sleeping. He had refused to leave his keyboard while he played the battle simulation game “Starcraft,” police said.

Lee, a resident in the southern city of Taegu, was quickly moved to a hospital but died after a few hours of what doctors believed was a heart attack.

Computer games are enormously popular in South Korea, home to professional gamers who earn big money through sponsorships and television stations devoted to broadcasting matches.

Lee was fired from his job last month because he kept missing work to play computer games, police said.

:blink: Hmmmmm......I guess he ran out of lives and didn't have any power-ups left.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:jawdrop: OMFG! SOmebody died playing starcraft! I knew it was addictive but ti didn't know it was that much!
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Mr. Lee has earned himself a Darwin award... :P

Seriously, you have to be really stupid to die like that...
:roll:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I've always wondered how some of the people over there are really good players. Now I know. They spend to much time playing the video games.

:jawdrop:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Warcraft profiteering

Post by Scott Gardener »

Some of the people over there are actually professional computer gamers. They play for hours on end, building up characters and collecting in-game assets such as land, items, or money, and then turn around and sell it for real-world money. I've met at least one person who does it as a second job. Darn it, I went to medical school instead...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Wow that is just stupid it's not like they need the light from the moniter to leave if I get hungry ill get food.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

:jawdrop: OMFG. Dum Korean morons. Thanks to them now video games are consider deadly and a weapon. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

DUDE! AND I THOUGHT THAT I HAD A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o
THE GAME

My Armory
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Land of the mourning calm

Post by Scott Gardener »

Let's not blame every person in two countries. Remember, the Koreans also gave us Tae Kwon Do; they're not ALL or even MOST looney. And, how many people do you know in your own countries who would do something similar? I could easily see someone here in America doing it.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Aki wrote:Mr. Lee has earned himself a Darwin award... :P

Seriously, you have to be really stupid to die like that...
:roll:
true, I am a gamer and yes I do not eat or drink while playing the game, but if I start to starve, im pretty sure I will shut the game off, important or not :lol:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Re: Land of the mourning calm

Post by Aki »

Scott Gardener wrote:Let's not blame every person in two countries. Remember, the Koreans also gave us Tae Kwon Do; they're not ALL or even MOST looney. And, how many people do you know in your own countries who would do something similar? I could easily see someone here in America doing it.
Koreans are pretty good gamers, from what i see in Guild Wars. I constantly see the annoucements who holds the Hall Of heros going back and forth between America and Korea, with Europe occaisonally pulling off a win. :lol:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Land of the mourning calm

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Scott Gardener wrote:Let's not blame every person in two countries. Remember, the Koreans also gave us Tae Kwon Do; they're not ALL or even MOST looney. And, how many people do you know in your own countries who would do something similar? I could easily see someone here in America doing it.
Oh Im not blaming every person in two countries, I always say that, I also call some people down here dum Florida morons, or dum carolina morons :lol: just for the hell of it. *Whispers to Scott* dum Texas morons. :lol: j/k :jester:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

*Whispers to Scott* dum Texas morons.
Them thar's hanging words. OK, boys....

Uh, I thought you brought the rope!

No, you's sapposed ta bringit!

Dag nabbit!

Hold there, partner, and don't move. We'll be right back....

(comes back an hour later.)

Dang it to Tarnation! The varmit's done left! That's the last time we guard our hangin' man on the Honor's System!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:
*Whispers to Scott* dum Texas morons.
Them thar's hanging words. OK, boys....

Uh, I thought you brought the rope!

No, you's sapposed ta bringit!

Dag nabbit!

Hold there, partner, and don't move. We'll be right back....

(comes back an hour later.)

Dang it to Tarnation! The varmit's done left! That's the last time we guard our hangin' man on the Honor's System!

heh...the words of Yosemite Sam.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I've played Counter-Strike for 24 allready. :D I'M still alive! Yay! :P

But is you play it THAT long, you've gotta be sick in the head or something.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Ive got this official army game call special forces( got it for free) it has really good graphics, but I havent played it.
Image Image
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Ive got this official army game call special forces( got it for free) it has really good graphics, but I havent played it.
I only played the training, since they do not let you play untill you compleat the training PERFECTLY... which is annoying because the parachute jump is impossible as a hell
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Der amerikanische Steppenwolf

Post by Rogue_A »

I once played Tony Hawk's Underground for 24 hours....of course, then, my ancient, first model in the US got those bloody "Read Disk Error" when trying to read anything involving DVD content, so there went that marathon down the drain. Luckily, thanks to a class action lawsuit, it didn't cost me anything to get it repaired aside from the shipping to Sony's repair center. So now it's all sparkly better for now.
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."-Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

What really bothers me is that this guy played for two days straight on public access. What happened when they locked up for the night?

I'll admit I've lost track of time while playing video games before, but not so much that I get out of touch with my immune system.

Then again, since my computer's down, I've mostly been playing GTA: San Andreas, the game where your character can starve to death before you do. :P
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Now I know how I want to die! I always wanted to when I do die to die in a comical or questionable way, what weirder way to die than from playing Mega Man all day?

I hope atleast the poor guy died peacefully.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Rainwolf
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Mood: Depressed

Post by Rainwolf »

It's odd thinking that games can be more addictive than drugs to some people. :|
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Rainwolf wrote:It's odd thinking that games can be more addictive than drugs to some people. :|
well, what do you know. :welcome:

and :happybday:

:woof: