Werewolf form reflecting Human form

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
JoeDarkfall
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Werewolf form reflecting Human form

Post by JoeDarkfall »

I'm sick of movies where all the Werewolves look the same. If there was a midget bitten (oh god, I hope I just didn't create a new werewolf sub-genre), would he transform into a 6 or 7 foot beast? No.

Give them height variations. If the person is a red headed step child, then lets have a red furred Werewolf. If a person has long hair, then that Werewolf should have a longer mane than the others.

Body types as well. Not all Werewolves should be giant hulking beasts. They should all be fit and muscular, though. For instance. I'm 6' 230 lbs. Transformed I should look like, maybe a Werewolf from The Howling.

Now say you've got a really built guy, lets use "Blade's" Triple H for example. He's huge, so transformed he should be one Hulking, super muscular, long mane beast!!

Oh yeah, I'm also sick of Werewolf movies where the Werewolf slaughters here and slaughters there but then is suckered at the end for the happy go home.
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

I agree with you..This also depends on the number of werewolves that will appear in this movie at one time...Too many may make that difficult, but if they kept it to a resonable number, maybe less than five, then it would work to assure quality in the individual designs of each specific character.....Here's hoping they can get the great Rowsby to do this.... 8)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

There's already discussions like this going on in other threads, namely the one about hair. The discussion, last I checked, was that it should work that way, but that a long-haired werewolf shouldn't be included because the CGI model would look tackey.

I agree with both reasons: A werewolf's were form should resemble his/her human form, and at the same time I acknowledge that midgets and mowhawks should be left out because they'd look stupid on a werewolf.

And yes, I think we're all waiting for a movie where the werewolf(s) don't die and the survivors all smile and go their separate ways. That and showing the monster in the morgue and his eyes pop open; those are both great ways to ruin a good horror movie.

EDIT: Left out a key word in the last paragraph, that being the word DON'T
Last edited by Terastas on Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Terastas wrote:And yes, I think we're all waiting for a movie where the werewolf(s) die and the survivors all smile and walk. That and showing the monster in the morgue and his eyes pop open; those are both great ways to ruin a good horror movie.
What about when the werewolf(s) dies, and the survivors all smile and walk...
Then the next night, they all notice that they have premature five'o'clock shadows?
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Ahem,

As an official announcement...

Not all werewolves die in this movie. And at the end, you'll feel just as much for them as you do for who might be against them. All, in all. Its a story about characters, not about a blanket, werewolf. vs. non werewolf.

Anthony Brownrigg
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

Very cool... I'm glad to hear that, AB.

As for wolf form reflecting human form, I'm all for it. A scrawny human should make a scrawny werewolf. A sickly human should make a sickly werewolf. An obese human should be a fat werewolf. On the other hand, a muscular or fit human should make a muscular or fit werewolf.

And while this discussion is going on in another thread regarding hair, generalizing the question is not to be discouraged. I wonder, for instance, what exactly does carry over. Hair color and length is only the most obvious possible trait (and as I sort-of said there, color but not length could and should make the change more-or-less intact). What about other things? Do women with painted nails transform into werewolves with painted claws? That would be kind of fun, actually, a kind of faux pas among the group. Do wolves have varying eye colors? Making that analogous to their human form might be a nice touch; even if it's unnoticable in the film, a character might mention it.
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

A scrawny werewolf doesn't mean a 98 pound weakling. This is comparative. If werewolves are 300-pound killing machines if they're fit, then a muscular one might be 350 and significantly stronger, a fat one might be 400 or 500 and have less endurance, and a scrawny one might be a mere 200 pounds.

And I know they're not going to be 300-pound killing machines, I used that to make my point.

And yes... A human werewolf with a nasty skin condition might turn into a pretty mangy werewolf. Or so I think.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Terastas wrote:And yes, I think we're all waiting for a movie where the werewolf(s) (don't) die and the survivors all smile and walk. That and showing the monster in the morgue and his eyes pop open; those are both great ways to ruin a good horror movie.
What about when the werewolf(s) dies, and the survivors all smile and walk...
Then the next night, they all notice that they have premature five'o'clock shadows?
:oops: That was a typo. I left out the key word "DON'T." Not sure what you mean by five'o'clock shadows though -- I haven't seen any movies with that yet.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:lol: '

terastas, he means tey;re growing fur.... i think >_> <_<
Redfeather the Defender
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

WTF

Post by Redfeather the Defender »

I can't imagine a fat wolf
somebody tell me what would that be like on screen, or at least a guess?
shift happens...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Terastas wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:What about when the werewolf(s) dies, and the survivors all smile and walk...
Not sure what you mean by five'o'clock shadows though -- I haven't seen any movies with that yet.
Shadowblaze wrote: terastas, he means tey;re growing fur.... i think >_> <_<
Indeed...the term "Five'o'Clock Shadow" refers to the way mens beards that were shaved off in the morning will allready begin to appear again as a discoloration on their chins and jaw by 5'PM that night...looking like they have a permanent "shadow" under their face.

Finding this "shadow" on ones face as early as noon instead of the evening as usual would suggest that something is causing their facial hair to grow faster for some reason. ...maybe it's something that got into them the night before?...Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Back ontopic: I'd agree with the majority here, except for one thing: Fur color. I would be quite surprised if, from a purely scientific standpoint, hair color is actually defined by the same genes as fur color is in wolves and the like. I could put up with some correlation, but let's keep it natural; no red-furred gestalt/wolf forms and the like, please?
Sanity is relative.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Back ontopic: I'd agree with the majority here, except for one thing: Fur color. I would be quite surprised if, from a purely scientific standpoint, hair color is actually defined by the same genes as fur color is in wolves and the like. I could put up with some correlation, but let's keep it natural; no red-furred gestalt/wolf forms and the like, please?
Fur is Hair....there is no difference.

...why the heck not, Red-head Werewolves. I think that would be awesome. They would look like mexican Red-wolves. Not all one solid color like a Carrot-Top wolf (*shudders at the thought*), but reddish color in the fur, like this...
That doesn't look so bad, does it? ...and that is completely "natural" red fur coloring.
(well, mostly. That image looks like the vibrance and contrast might be a little off, but you get the idea.)
Last edited by Vuldari on Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote:
Ralith Lupus wrote:Back ontopic: I'd agree with the majority here, except for one thing: Fur color. I would be quite surprised if, from a purely scientific standpoint, hair color is actually defined by the same genes as fur color is in wolves and the like. I could put up with some correlation, but let's keep it natural; no red-furred gestalt/wolf forms and the like, please?
Fur is Hair....there is no difference.

...why the heck not, Red-head Werewolves. I think that would be awesome. They would look like mexican Red-wolves.
Yes, red is a perfectly cromulent color

Last edited by Lupin on Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Cromluent? I'll have to check dictionary.com. I don't think the red would look out of place as long as it's blended about how those pictures are, I'd be a really cool touch in a movie too.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Shaun wrote:Cromluent? I'll have to check dictionary.com. I don't think the red would look out of place as long as it's blended about how those pictures are, I'd be a really cool touch in a movie too.
According to Wikepedia
Cromulent

This word does not originate with The Simpsons. Earlier uses can be found, for instance, in an episode of Blackadder the Third, originally broadcast in England in 1987.

When schoolteacher Edna Krabappel hears the Springfield town motto, "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man," she comments she's never heard of the word embiggens before moving to Springfield. Miss Hoover, another teacher, replies, "It's a perfectly cromulent word".

Later in the same episode, while talking about Homer's audition for the role of town crier, Principal Skinner states "He's embiggened that role with his cromulent performance."

Based on the context in which Miss Hoover uses the word cromulent, we can interpret that it means "legitimate" or "appropriate." Based on the way Principal Skinner uses it, it can be interpreted as meaning something similar to "more than acceptable" or "more than adequate," these usages would also (in an assumed lexical context) satisfy Miss Hoover's use of the word. Lisa uses it later in that episode, when instead of telling the truth about Jebediah Springfield, she accepts that the myth and the made-up word have inspirational value.

Both embiggen and cromulent were quickly adopted and used by Simpsons fans. Cromulent has taken on an ironic meaning, to say that something is not at all legitimate and in fact spurious.

In the 2005 Xbox game Jade Empire, the player meets a man who uses made-up and mispronounced words. When the player confronts the man with this, the man claims that one of the words he used was "cromulent", an obvious reference to The Simpsons.

"Cromulent" has since appeared in the Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English.

=^.^'= ~
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

I knew I heard that somewhere before, and I've even used embiggen before. I've even seen those episodes. :lol: I'll probably be using that word all the time now :D

Edit: Woo 100 posts!
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Admittedly, there are natural reds, but some shades of human hair just aren't natural for fur. I prolly shouldn't've used such a general word. Ah well, I suspect ye get my meaning. Let's just stay away from anything really vibrant.

As to genetics: Rethinking things, I suppose the connection might be much more significant, but nevertheless a WW's fur is quite different from his/her hair in texture at the very least, and if that much changes, I think a shift to more natural coloring is acceptable from a logical standpoint.
Sanity is relative.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Re: Werewolf form reflecting Human form

Post by PariahPoet »

JoeDarkfall wrote: If a person has long hair, then that Werewolf should have a longer mane than the others.
This brings up an interesting question...what to do about human hair? Would it remain in wolf form? I don't think that hair or fur would be re-absorbed into the body because it is not alive. But it would be rather interesting if someone's human hair fell out when someone shifted. Imagine a long-haired female suddenly showing up for work one day completely bald. That doesn't seem like it would work, but I really don't care for werewolves with human hair, it looks too much like a furry.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

*looks at pictures posted* Hey! Its me!
Yeah, I'm a red-head, so I'm thinkin' I'd be a red-furred wolfy 8) I am quite stunning :wink: :lol:

And for long hair; none of it in full-wolf form. That would look just plain silly. If anything, the fur along their neck and back could look a bit longer/thicker than usual. But when shifting back to a human, the hair would grow back. Now how long it would be is an different question...
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

I envision human hair regrowing in the reverse shift much the same way fur grows in the shift. I agree with you on the whole absorbtion thing; it's dead matter, and would thus likely just fall out. Of course, there are ways to imagine it being absorbed and recycled.

As to hair on the gestalt form, I'm thinking a sort of compromise. Nothing along the lines of human hair; just longer-than-normal fur on the head and down the neck. Of course, I'd probably just as happy with normal fur; I can even see it varying between individual werewolves.
Sanity is relative.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Admittedly, there are natural reds, but some shades of human hair just aren't natural for fur. I prolly shouldn't've used such a general word. Ah well, I suspect ye get my meaning. Let's just stay away from anything really vibrant.

As to genetics: Rethinking things, I suppose the connection might be much more significant, but nevertheless a WW's fur is quite different from his/her hair in texture at the very least, and if that much changes, I think a shift to more natural coloring is acceptable from a logical standpoint.
Agreed.

However, it would make sense to me for the humans natural hair color to be mixed in with the fur somewhere.

Going back to the image I posted again, you see a reddish color as Part of the fur, but it is not ALL that color. There is black and white fur mixed in, as well as lighter and darker shades of the base red. That is what I would imagine the relationship between a werewolfs human hair color and wolf fur color would be.

The fur color pattern would be built around the original color, but would not be limited to it exclusively. I also think it would vary considerably from werewolf to werewolf, with some bearing a vibrant representation of their hair color in wolf or gestalt form, while others might turn almost completely black, white or grey, with the original color hidden as only subtle highlights.

Like this image...
The fur is mostly white and grey...but there are higlights of brown on the nose and around the edges of the ears.

I could see a Brunette turning into something with a color scheme like this... the human hair color would be mixed in there somewhere like the brown on this wolves face.

It doesn't need to dominate the color scheme, but I think it would be logical for the human color to at least be 'present'.Image

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I'd like for the original human hair color to be the dominating fur color in wolf and gestalt gestalt form. Some other colors could be added, because plain solid would look weird. So basically I say use the human hair color for most of the fur but add in other colors so that it looks more natural.

And besides, I for one have never believed that werewolves turn into actual wolves, just wolf-like creatures. So, I think it's ok if we use colors that aren't natural for wolves. Your average human wouldn't know the difference anyway.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Excelsia wrote:I'd like for the original human hair color to be the dominating fur color in wolf and gestalt gestalt form. Some other colors could be added, because plain solid would look weird. So basically I say use the human hair color for most of the fur but add in other colors so that it looks more natural.

And besides, I for one have never believed that werewolves turn into actual wolves, just wolf-like creatures. So, I think it's ok if we use colors that aren't natural for wolves. Your average human wouldn't know the difference anyway.
Of course it is completely open to individual interpretation.

My opinions above have been based on the assumption that the werewolves transformed state is dirrectly related to Real wolves in some way.

If they are Non-wolf/Wolf-like werewolves, then this logic would not apply.

Likewise, none of my suggestions would apply well to "Underworld" or "Classic Wolf-Man" style werewolves either. ...only "...becomes a Wolf" types of werewolves.Image

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vuldari wrote: Of course it is completely open to individual interpretation.

My opinions above have been based on the assumption that the werewolves transformed state is dirrectly related to Real wolves in some way.

If they are Non-wolf/Wolf-like werewolves, then this logic would not apply.

Likewise, none of my suggestions would apply well to "Underworld" or "Classic Wolf-Man" style werewolves either. ...only "...becomes a Wolf" types of werewolves.Image

Hey, it's cool. We've all got our own opinions. :wink:

I'd also like to add that I think humans with long hair should have some form of mane in gestalt form. Not a huge lionish mane, and not something that would make them look like a furry, but at least some distinction between people with long hair and people with short hair. At the very least, they should have a longer neck ruff, or a line of longer hair running from their head to their tale.

In the 'wolf' form, I believe such a line of fur that is longer than the rest would be present as well, at least if the original human had long hair. Of course, it would be very slight, and not something that would arouse suspicion in the average human.