What is a true werewolf?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
DarkOriaes
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Seeker Of Knowledge
Mood: RAR!

What is a true werewolf?

Post by DarkOriaes »

Now I'm sure that the moment you guys read the title of this topic, your thinking-- "Not again!"

But here's my question that I've been noticing off and on in the past.

If you call yourself a werewolf and yet you shift into just a large wolf. Would you still call yourself a werewolf? Or just someone who has the ability to turn into a wolf? Strengths and weaknesses of werewolves still apply. But its all about the final form once the person finished shifting.

Could it be possible that the stronger you are, the better you control the shift? If you don't have much control, the shift looks like a horrible mash of both human and wolf? But when you get better control, it starts turning into something that wouldn't in the end get you killed.
Knowledge Is Power
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Re: What is a true werewolf?

Post by RedEye »

Reasonable question.

Grammatically, a Were-Wolf is a "Man-Wolf"; so "any of the above" would apply. (Were is from the latin Vir; meaning man or male. Wolf...obvious)
The words Lycathrope, Loup-Garou, and Lycan also refer to either the Gestalt Anthro Werewolf or the plain vanilla four footed wolf metamorph.

What they would call themselves (outside of George, Harvey, Myron, etc) is open to guesswork. :?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
DarkOriaes
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by DarkOriaes »

But what about the last part? The part where it depends on the control of change? If you have no control in the change, you look like the typical werewolf where you stand on two legs but seem like a twisted appearance of wolf and man? But if it becomes more perfected, then it wouldn't be a handicap. You make yourself a much more powerful foe.
Knowledge Is Power
LunarCarnivore
Legendary
Legendary

Post by LunarCarnivore »

a werewolf is defined as a person who transforms into a wolf or wolf-like creature, regardless of cause, form, etc.

more specifically a person who willingly transforms themselves into a wolf in order to accomplish a task (hunting, battle, etc) while retaining their human mind can be called a "Garwolf". an example of this is 12th century poet Marie de France's "Bisclavret", the werewolf in this became known as a Garwolf, which is a french-norman name for "man-wolf".
Formerly known as Wolf-Man-24
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Wolf-man-24 wrote:a werewolf is defined as a person who transforms into a wolf or wolf-like creature, regardless of cause, form, etc.
Pretty much this. Though it's also a bit subjective. Something like, say, a wizard or such that has magic to turn him into a wolf is "less" of a werewolf than something that's sole power is that transformation.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Aki wrote:
Wolf-man-24 wrote:a werewolf is defined as a person who transforms into a wolf or wolf-like creature, regardless of cause, form, etc.
Pretty much this. Though it's also a bit subjective. Something like, say, a wizard or such that has magic to turn him into a wolf is "less" of a werewolf than something that's sole power is that transformation.
The key factor then would be (as you said) the exclusiveness, IE: a werewolf is a person who only transforms into a wolf or wolf-like creature. Additional "byproducts" of the virus/curse/whatever such as regeneration, increased strength or even fire projectiles (as was the case in Darkstalkers and Killer Instinct) my vary, but the only key factor in what defines a werewolf is the man and wolf(like) forms.

The only further possible loophole would be in "mistaken identity" cases, IE: the individual becomes a wolf via a "standard" transformation, but is mistaken for a werewolf due to their preference for and/or frequency in that form. Sirius Black from Harry Potter, for example, was not an actual werewolf, but he frequently assumed a wolf form and therefore was identified as one. Even that, however, is not an actual werewolf -- it's just an in-character misrepresentation of the term.
DarkOriaes
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by DarkOriaes »

So would you consider my way of thinking about a werewolf, though slightly different from the usual we come across is passable? Or more on the fact of understandable??
Knowledge Is Power
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Hmm. If you refer to control over the metamorph's final appearace, then I'd say maybe. It isn't uncommon for werewolves to have both an anthro and a full wolf final shape, and that is usually a controlled ability.
Now, if you refer to being able to re-shape the werewolf's body or perhaps change the overall appearance; then I'd have to say that these people are less werewolves than polymorphs who can look like a werewolf.

While the idea of a measure of control over the speed of the Shift, or the final shape (anthro or quadruped) works for werewolves; being able to reshape the final product into whatever is desired at the moment goes a bit beyond the established nature and ability of a werewolf. That much morphological ability would belong more to a polymorph than a classic Werewolf; which is either a bimorph or trimorph fixed form shape-shifter.
NOTE: ALL OF THE ABOVE IS OPINION ONLY (just to keep the peace here)
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Addendum and comment on Dark Oriaes last paragraphs:

Vanilla Human muscles are a lot stronger than we realize; the limiting factors are usually our bones (which can handle only so much stress). Humans and Chimpanzees are roughly the same weight and size and share some 96% of the same genetics; yet Chimps are profoundly stronger than humans.
Thus a werewolf isn't really limited as to their strength IF their bony structure is up to the strain.
Secondly; there is usually serious skelectal (?) change when a Wulf shifts; and that changes Leverage! The same muscles with different leverages would be "stronger" without actually being stronger.
As to being a better "Foe"; an honest-to-type Werewolf would avoid combat, as does any sensible predator. Combat uses energy that could be better spent hunting.
Since game werewolves have specific game-determined abilities; my opinion is the smartness (cunning) rather than sheer strength is what will prevail.
Again: this is all one person's opinion; period.
JonTalbain
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: J.Talbain
Mood: Happy

Post by JonTalbain »

If the Affected human (I.e Me) has a weight problem such as my self when they Morph they would carry the weight (Baggage) with them thus making them a Not so good hunter but could easily loose weight through various and Rigorous excersise that the Normal human cant do.

A true werewolf shouldnt be a blood thirsty savage as seen in "Dog Soldiers"

Cheers

"All Of Us Are Gods Creatures.... Just That Some Of Us Are More Creature Than Others."

I cant get half the Codes I usually use for forums to work!!
Still adjusting to the BB anyway!
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

I'd say the mental strenght is more important than physical when it comes to shifting. And personally werewolf to me is a being with mix of wolf and human forms. It has the look of a wolf but bipedal walking style or at least the ability to stand that way.

For example I don't consider those Twilight morons as werewolves. Not to mention the damn "vampires"!
Sorry if someone is offended of my opinion, though most likely someone will be, so sorry about for me speaking out loud.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

I would have to say that to qualify for werewolf status, you would need to be able to turn into a wolf without needing outside assistance, such as possession, magic spells or furs or potions, and possess the lifeforce of both. For this reason, I typically depict werewolves as being able to transform without the moon. The moon assists, but is not actually necessary.
Someone who casts a spell and transforms into a wolf would probably be more accurately described as a witch, warlock, sorcerer, or whatever. Someone who transforms as controlled by something, such as the moon, would be enchanted. And someone who transforms by using an ointment, potion, fur belt or robe, or etc, would be just be a person who has some special item that allows them to transform into a wolf.

As such, the Twilight wolves would fall under "Enchanted", as their powers are contingent on the presence of vampires, whereas a werewolf would be able to do it of their own volition.

As for retaining extra weight, I would say that a werewolf would keep it, but someone under the other categories would not, as they would essentially be swapping bodies, rather than transforming.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.