Their diet?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Re: What Werewolves would not eat...

Post by Treads Lightly »

rmaszk wrote:Something about wolves, they generally do not eat entrails. Those are usually ripped out of the prey animal and discarded for the scavengers.
Well…

Entrails are actually the best part of a kill for a wolf. The organs contain the highest concentration of nutrients in the body. While humans would think to go after lean cuts, such as someone mentioned a steak, wolves generally look to the fattiest portions of the carcass such as the ribs. They don’t have to worry about watching carbs due to the fact that they are simply too active to ever get fat themselves.

And wolves eat everything except hooves and antlers! Yes, that means bones (calcium) and fur! The fur actually wraps around the bone fragments in the intestine to protect it from being pierced by the sharp fragments.

Now on the other hand, the first time that a human-werewolf opened a carcass, his or her super sensitive nose would probably lead them straight back to the dunkin donuts!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: What Werewolves would not eat...

Post by Figarou »

Bladewing
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Bladewing »

Lots of meat. The human would have more of a desire to eat meat, maybe raw meat. (Like in "American Werewolf in Paris")

Not cannibalism though. I think it'd be kind of stupid (and it'd add to the werewolves' "bad" name) if they killed a human than ate them. That's what vampires do.
ANTIcarrot.
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by ANTIcarrot. »

Post deleted.

ANTIcarrot.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Man, of all the times I could have chosen to catch up with this topic, why'd I pick the moment when I have hot dogs on the boil? :oops:

Well... I've caught up with all the discussion regarding carcasses and such, and all I have to say is this: being a werewolf must be harder than it looks. I don't know about you, but if another werewolf helped me bring down my first stag and he recommended the fur and entrails...

You know what we need? A werewolf barf emoticon! :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:Man, of all the times I could have chosen to catch up with this topic, why'd I pick the moment when I have hot dogs on the boil? :oops:

Well... I've caught up with all the discussion regarding carcasses and such, and all I have to say is this: being a werewolf must be harder than it looks. I don't know about you, but if another werewolf helped me bring down my first stag and he recommended the fur and entrails...
Entrails? Thats the best part!!! lck When it comes to wolves eating, nothing goes to waste.
Terastas wrote: You know what we need? A werewolf barf emoticon! :wink:
One werewolf barf emoticon coming right up!! :D

*groan* "I think I ate to much. *moan* Shouldn't have ate those entrails."

Image Ewww! Now thats one sick pup!! :lol:

edit
corrected spelling, reduced spacing.
Last edited by Figarou on Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Figarou wrote:
Terastas wrote:Man, of all the times I could have chosen to catch up with this topic, why'd I pick the moment when I have hot dogs on the boil? :oops:

You know what we need? A werewolf barf emoticon! :wink:

Entrails? Thats the best part!!! lck

When it comes to wolves eating, nothing goes to waste.
Actually I have dragged many a deer carcass to the wolf pens and from what I've observed their first instinct is to tear open the ribs and get to the livers and other internal organs first off. Hide, Hoofs, and antlers are secondary only to the bones ( including the skull ) which are broken up and devoured quite easily. There is usually nothing left save a few teeth, and usually the semi-digested plant matter that was in the intestinal tract. A lot of captive wolf centers either don't feed intestines ( because of parasites like tapeworm , roundworm, and hookworm ) or treat their wolves regularly for them.

As far as werewolf preferences , I don't why they would have trouble eating anything if they needed to, it would really be a matter of want. I've also fed wolves that loved watermelon, pumpkin, oranges and especially apples and tomatoes, others won't touch them and like they're nothing to them.

A human born werewolf might eat deer haunch or a rabbit, but would be more inclined to order pizza or at least cook his meat. A wolf born werewolf would probably shrink at human food but, might go for old carcasses or heh, the neighbor's cat..... :wink:

I don't think even a werewolf could stomach human, maybe he could kill and tear one apart but most humans have a stink that disturbs animals ( non-domestic of course ) and humans have more than enough chemicals and in some cases false parts that a werewolf would retch at the thought.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote: A human born werewolf might eat deer haunch or a rabbit, but would be more inclined to order pizza or at least cook his meat. A wolf born werewolf would probably shrink at human food but, might go for old carcasses or heh, the neighbor's cat..... :wink:
*uses Homer Simpson voice*

Mmmmmm....cats!!! lck

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I don't think even a werewolf could stomach human, maybe he could kill and tear one apart but most humans have a stink that disturbs animals ( non-domestic of course ) and humans have more than enough chemicals and in some cases false parts that a werewolf would retch at the thought.

Eating human?? Ewwww!!! Grody!! Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote: Image
Serves me right I suppose.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
Figarou wrote: Image
Serves me right I suppose.
Never have entrails on the mind while boiling hot dogs. :D
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

You know that could be why I get such funny looks when I'm talking about dissection and anatomy at a public restraunt.....oh well it never bothered me. :D
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:You know that could be why I get such funny looks when I'm talking about dissection and anatomy at a public restraunt.....oh well it never bothered me. :D
Hey, you know better than to talk about that stuff at a restraunt. :lol:
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Hey it happens....one time I was just discussing bite pressure in wolves and how they could crack a bull moose's main thigh bone while it's running, then I sort of started on how fast it would be eaten.....how some would be taken back to the pups and be regurgitated and the conversation went down hill from there....for them anyway. :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Hey it happens....one time I was just discussing bite pressure in wolves and how they could crack a bull moose's main thigh bone while it's running, then I sort of started on how fast it would be eaten.....how some would be taken back to the pups and be regurgitated and the conversation went down hill from there....for them anyway. :lol:
Mmm... yummy. Sounds like a conversation I would be having. :lol:
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

They'd probably be omnivorius, but... I know chocolate is bad for canines, but appearently onions are poisonous to them. Bad news for some people, considering the billions of places that contain onion. :|
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Shadowblaze wrote:They'd probably be omnivorius, but... I know chocolate is bad for canines, but appearently onions are poisonous to them. Bad news for some people, considering the billions of places that contain onion. :|
Yeah, chocolate isn't good for canines, but it takes a lot to make one sick. An entire chocolate cake might make a dog sick, but it wouldn't kill one. Onions I don't know, I have fed canines garlic but never onions, the smell would prob. turn them off to it.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

It most likely would. Humans can usually smell wherther or not thery'res onion, and that small of a quantity wouldn't do much, methinks.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:
Shadowblaze wrote:They'd probably be omnivorius, but... I know chocolate is bad for canines, but appearently onions are poisonous to them. Bad news for some people, considering the billions of places that contain onion. :|
Yeah, chocolate isn't good for canines, but it takes a lot to make one sick. An entire chocolate cake might make a dog sick, but it wouldn't kill one. Onions I don't know, I have fed canines garlic but never onions, the smell would prob. turn them off to it.

This got me thinking. What is in the chocolate that makes them sick? The sugar? Milk? cocoa bean? I know there is other ingredients to chocolate.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary

Well sugar and cocoa beans are not part of a wolf's diet, however I have heard of some dog owners who give their animals coffee, while it's not advised it didn't seem to make them sick. Milk wouldn't have any effect except to give a wolf loose stools but it would have to be a great quantity say two gallons. I'm guessing it's the sugar, but animals do eat sugar, so it it is probably the quantity of sugar in the chocalate that does it, especially since it does take a lot of chocolate to make one sick. I would say that if any animal including people consumed a whole bag of pure sugar it would make them sick and animal with the body weight of most dogs it might kill them.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

The "toxic chocolate" cause is due to a chemical present in chocolate - I forget the exact name of it - but the canine body-chemistry cannot process this chemical properly, and it can quickly build up, eventually poisoning the animal in a fashion not too dissimilar to alcohol poisoning in humans.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

:howl:  :oo NOT THE CHOCOLATE DEBATE AGAIN!!!

*sigh* Okay, in regards to chocolate, onions etc... Keep in mind that a werewolf is only part wolf. A wolf might be intolerant in general, but a werewolf would only be intolerant to large ammounts, sort of the same way humans deal with nicotine and alcohol.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:lol:

Naturally, it would do more in wolf form, but since the bodily chemistries are somewhat blended, it would most likely be something of a "too much at once is fatal" thing. :|
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:

:howl:  :oo NOT THE CHOCOLATE DEBATE AGAIN!!!
Care for an Almond Joy? :D I gots plenty of them!! :lol:
Terastas wrote:*sigh* Okay, in regards to chocolate, onions etc... Keep in mind that a werewolf is only part wolf. A wolf might be intolerant in general, but a werewolf would only be intolerant to large ammounts, sort of the same way humans deal with nicotine and alcohol.
Alcohol? 2 ways the human body deals with alcohol. Passing out so you can't drink any more. And then there is....Image