Age for Change..

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
LoboLEO
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luna's pet

Age for Change..

Post by LoboLEO »

Heh...me doing a new thread?, that's something new..Trying to lose my fear because my poor English ^^u

Anyway, I didn't notice the theme before...but a born werewolf...when they'd change for the first time?. Some people believe in the puberty age.. and others just think chilren could actually change on early ages (even after born)...in tha case, a second question...a new born werewolf how would look, just like a normal baby or like a puppy? heh XD ( I still remember that shocked thing on The Howling III o.O ) ...what do you think?
My werewolf-girl comic Online:
http://www.alphaluna.net/

My werewolf Art.
http://www.loboleo.com
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I think your English is pretty good (far better than my Spanish :lol: )

I think I lean more towards that a born werewolf would change during it's full moon or something. I'm not sure though because what if the baby was born on a full moon?

The puberty thing solves that problem, but I wouldn't like waiting for puberty to be able to change. I think it'd add to the problems as well. Your hormones and whatnot go crazy and shifting suddenly might be a bit much, even though you knew it was going to happen.

The only other thing I can think of is that once the skull is hard enough and the bones in the wrist/hands develop, maybe that's when they can shift (might be difficult to have your hands change into paws when there's no bones in them :lol: ).

I do think that werewolf children/babies would look like puppies (cute, little, mini werewolves! yay!).
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

Never really thought about it. I guess a newborn would look like a human baby.. that is if the WW mother is in human form while in labor. But, this raises another point; would a female werewolf prefer to give birth after shifting to either a gestalt, or a full wolf form?

In any mode, the WW's regenerative ability will insure a quick recovery after delivery, I would guess. But, would there be less pain during labor while shifted to one of the animal forms?

Hmmm.. :?
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Aww! I wanna see a were puppy!
I would imagine a small were-cub would not be able to control the change until they are 10 at least but they would still be forced to shift on full moons.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I think this has been mentioned in a couple places (I don't remember exactly where), but I don't think we've had a specific thread for it before, so everything is fine.

My personal opinion is that the child should be able to change from birth (and even in the womb). The form the child takes in the womb -- and, thus, when the child is born -- would be determined by the form of the parent (the child would involuntarily shift as the parent does). I don't particularly think the fetus would be aborted by the shifting process.

Ultimately, I don't think the child would be able to start learning to control the change until the age of 6 or 7 years. (I don't go for the whole full moon thing.)

But, then again, I don't think the shifting process should be as painful/dangerous as most of the others seem to think. If it must be, then either the child should die in the womb or should not be able to shift until much later in life.

That's what I think.

-- Vilkacis
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I would say leave it until puberty at the least. I find the thought of one shifting below that age a bit ridiculous... :P
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

hmmm good question i like to think when a werewolf hits puberty that when they can start to TF and when a born werewolf is born the child is in the same form as the mother. and it will stay in that form untill the child is 13.
THE GAME

My Armory
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I tend to lean toward the whole "can't shift until puberty" thing. It's just what makes the most sense to me. The body is developing and maturing and is able to deal with shifting then.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I think a born werewolf should be able to change when it understands the concept of changing. So, maybe around 4 or 5. Until then, they would change to a full wolf puppy or gestalt puppy at every full moon. I lean more towards full wolf puppy, however.

Or, perhaps a full moon would not have such a great effect on a born werewolf child? Perhaps the moon doesn't start having an effect on one's changing ability until puberty. Maybe it could have something to do with hormones. That way they have a sort of 'cushion' from changing when they are in infancy.

So, my thoughts are this: a born werewolf can start changing as soon as they are able to understand what it means to change, but the moon doesn't start affecting them until puberty, because of hormones or something. This way, a child has the ability to change if they need to, but aren't forced too, like a newly bitten werewolf.
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Hmm... I go for the puberty as well (adds all the more torture and excitement to being an adolescent doncha think?). Though reading the reasons mentioned above about TF at a young age... ah well, I'm in a bit of a predicument of still deciding on this subject...
Boo
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

IMO, they can shift from birth, and their were bodies grow older as the human body does until about 20 or so when the best size and strength are achieved.

Also, yeah, since they do grow with time, when young weres shift they would be puppies.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I go for the whole baby is in the form that the mother is in. If a mother is in Gastalt form the whole time shes pregnant the baby well be developing in that form. then as it gets up to 4 or 5 it can change to humans same in reverse.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I think that the mother should be forced to give birth in human form, that way the baby will be born human. There's really no way to explain this scientifically, except maybe there is a strong maternal instinct to be human while giving birth or something like that.

The reason I think this is because it would be pretty weird (assume your neighbors, a married couple, are werewolves) if there was a pregnant woman, and then she wasn't pregnant anymore, but there was a wolf puppy at their house and no baby. Pretty suspicious. And then, four years later or so, their wolf (who is still a puppy, by the way), disappears, and a kid shows up at their house, who doesn't speak any human language whatsoever, but behaves very normally. Pretty suspicious.

Maybe mother werewolves simply CHOOSE to give birth in human form to avoid this occurence, but aren't forced to give birth while human. I don't know.

However, there could perhaps be some sort of bond between mother and baby that makes the baby TF into whatever form the mother is in, while he is in infancy (after being born). Perhaps a release of chemicals from the mother's TF causes the baby to change. This could be a viable solution, maybe, and would avoid the previously mentioned problem.

I don't know. This is a complicated issue, and one that I doubt we can come to a brilliant solution for. Even having them gain TFing ability at puberty doesn't solve the problem of what form they were born in.

Another question: If a normal kid who hadn't hit puberty yet got bitten and survived, what would happen to him? Would the virus lay dormant until puberty?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I would like to add that I believe that the baby should TF in the womb to whatever form the mother TFs to. This might clarify my post a bit.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

yeah I think my theory is more accurate, if shes in human form, the baby will be too.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:I think this has been mentioned in a couple places (I don't remember exactly where), but I don't think we've had a specific thread for it before, so everything is fine.

That's what I think.

-- Vilkacis
Yes, it has.

I remember saying that I don't want to see a human giving birth to a wolf puppy. Or a wolf giving birth to a human. Thats just plain silly.

There is also the discussion of shifting while pregnant.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Figarou wrote: I remember saying that I don't want to see a human giving birth to a wolf puppy. Or a wolf giving birth to a human. Thats just plain silly.

Agreed. Human, IMO, would be the best form to be born in, for a number of reasons, which I mentioned above. Though I'm sure it's more painful, I think it's better for the baby.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Excelsia wrote:
Figarou wrote: I remember saying that I don't want to see a human giving birth to a wolf puppy. Or a wolf giving birth to a human. Thats just plain silly.

Agreed. Human, IMO, would be the best form to be born in, for a number of reasons, which I mentioned above. Though I'm sure it's more painful, I think it's better for the baby.
well if your in the boom dox then thiers no reason why to be in human form, but if they live in a very populated area then yeah to inshure for survival they have to give birth ihuman form then later learn to control the werewolf side.
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:I remember saying that I don't want to see a human giving birth to a wolf puppy. Or a wolf giving birth to a human. Thats just plain silly.

There is also the discussion of shifting while pregnant.
Agreed. Having a mixed-species birth just seems weird.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Shadow Wulf wrote: well if your in the boom dox then thiers no reason why to be in human form, but if they live in a very populated area then yeah to inshure for survival they have to give birth ihuman form then later learn to control the werewolf side.
Yes, living out in the sticks would definitely make being born in wolf form easier, but there are still many reasons why being born human would help. For example, most humans learn to speak before 4 or 5, so if a werewolf kid didn't become human before that age he wouldn't be able to communicate normally (his tongue wouldn't be used to it) and wouldn't be prepared for school (assuming he went to school). He would eventually learn to speak, but it would probably be a slower process, because learning to speak is best done while very young. Also, frustration at not being able to communicate with other humans might prompt the child to simply turn back wolf and stay that way (you know how pouty kids can be).

There are also a lot of socialization issues that might come into play here.

But yes, it definitely would be easier to be born a wolf if you were in the boon dox than if you were in the city, but there are still many reasons why human would be better, no matter where you are.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

what if the the boy frist came out as a werewolf but slowly turned back into a kid like howling 3, I like that idea.
Image Image
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

For all the puberty proponents, look what we'll be missing! :wolfpaint:
Never take your were-cub to Wally-World on a full moon!
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:what if the the boy frist came out as a werewolf but slowly turned back into a kid like howling 3, I like that idea.
I don't know, that sets off my wtfometer.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Shadow Wulf wrote:what if the the boy frist came out as a werewolf but slowly turned back into a kid like howling 3, I like that idea.
While I'm not particularly in favor of that idea, I do like it better than having the kid be a wolf for four or five years.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
I don't know, that sets off my wtfometer.

Mine broke when it hit maximum.