What type of storyline/genre do you lean to?

The place for anything at all...

what genre do you lean to in regards to a werewolf story

slasher horror (werewolf is slathering monster)
2%
horror thriller (werewolf is monster with evil thoughts)
3%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
45%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
3%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
22%
Report the incident to your pack’s leaders and let them decide what to do
3%
thriller (werewolves are victims of someone else)
21%

Total votes: 58

Calypso Blue
Site Admin
Site Admin

What type of storyline/genre do you lean to?

Post by Calypso Blue »

This is mainly focusing on werewolf films in general as opposed to specific plotlines.

You can vote more than once if you have multiple options. Just asking which folks tend to want to see more of.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

This is another one of those things that're a real toughie. As I'd love to check almost all of these options.

I like movies that can scare people so the horror/slasher option is a good choice. However the Dark Comedy option with good and bad werewolves and some serious undertones is very appealing, as is the romanic option.

It'd take quite a skilled writer to successfully bring all these genre's together though.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

How do you vote more then once?
CAlypso Blue

Post by CAlypso Blue »

Don't worry, I think im going to be able to swing getting a plotline up here when they have it finished, and let folks talk about it. I do have to say, they WILL do what they want to do in the end, its their money, BUT I can say that so far they're already influenced, and have been looking at posts saying things like, "huh, thats interesting, not a bad idea.. or i never thought about it that way."... so this whole website idea is working as well as it can I think.

Calypso Blue
CAlypso Blue

Post by CAlypso Blue »

Ooo, thought you could do that, post again hmmmm.. i'll figure something out.. jsut put it in a reply like you did in your previous post.

CB
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

I LOVE a good horror werewolf (The Howling I and American Werewolf in London are my absolute faves), but I also can't stand the "I'm purely evil, blah blah bawoo" werewolf. I think the best kind of werewolf is the tortured soul, alone and trying to deal with his "curse". Perhaps he eventually learns to cope with his werewolf side, and when he comes to accept it, he suddenly has control over it to some degree. He can change at will, select who his victims are instead of mindlessly killing, etc. He cannot change what he is, or what the wolf demands of him, but he can control what he does, to some extent. This leaves it open for romances and things like that. That's also something I want to see more of, werewolf romance, but then again I'm a girl and I love that junk ;)
Take Walker

Post by Take Walker »

Oooh, I've never even imagined some of the ideas you've put forth. One hears 'werewolf movie' and immediately thinks of slathering, badly-costumed monsters. I'd love to see werewolves sitting around, talking about being weres. Especially if they're in wolf forms! I think it could be combined well with the good werewolf/bad werewolf idea, as well. Either way, it would be nice to see something a little different from the 'werewolf = monster' genres.

Post by Guest »

I'm a little drousy at the moment so I didn't figure out how to vote on the poll (if I can). Had I figured it out though, I would have chosen Thriller.

The reason being that werewolves are a seriously overdone (and often poorly done) element of horror flicks. Horror in any movie is good, but if the emphasis is meant to be a positive depiction of werewolves, a balance of good and evil werewolves should be an element as opposed to the major conflict. It would be a much better movie if the characters were treated as people with lycanthropy instead of werewolves.

I figured 'Thriller' was the most accurate choice because it would honestly make a much better movie if the focus was more on him/her/them and a much greater force like a military producer trying to abduct them for R&D or a corporate entity trying to bulldoze a wildlife reserve that they want to protect. Oh, and by the way, their werewolves. It would be a much better movie if the werewolves weren't treated right off the bat as not being human, and the easiest way to do that would be to create a conflict much bigger than themselves.

Post by Guest »

One way to depict werewolves in a balanced light would be to tell the
same event from different perspectives

Lets say we take the old medievel legend " lady of the Land"
as told by John Mandeville and William Morris .

We change the curse the Lady is under from tf'g into a dragon to tf'g into a werewolf

And we let the events of the legend remain unchanged
-she tosses one fleeing lover over a cliff
- a sailor escapes from her but dies a early deathin the old countrye

Than we let three different hosts tell the tale

- a dragon
- a sailor
- the goddess Diana

So with some really good scriptwriting and good actors
the three hosts aught to be presenting 3 different angles to the
same event
which should balance out our view of the cursed Lady of the Land
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Anonymous wrote:I'm a little drousy at the moment so I didn't figure out how to vote on the poll (if I can). Had I figured it out though, I would have chosen Thriller.

The reason being that werewolves are a seriously overdone (and often poorly done) element of horror flicks. Horror in any movie is good, but if the emphasis is meant to be a positive depiction of werewolves, a balance of good and evil werewolves should be an element as opposed to the major conflict. It would be a much better movie if the characters were treated as people with lycanthropy instead of werewolves.

I figured 'Thriller' was the most accurate choice because it would honestly make a much better movie if the focus was more on him/her/them and a much greater force like a military producer trying to abduct them for R&D or a corporate entity trying to bulldoze a wildlife reserve that they want to protect. Oh, and by the way, their werewolves. It would be a much better movie if the werewolves weren't treated right off the bat as not being human, and the easiest way to do that would be to create a conflict much bigger than themselves.
Just figured it out -- my Byzantine computer didn't log me in. :roll:
runningwolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by runningwolf »

I'd probably say a horror thriller (with meanngful undertones), since Werewolves do have that horror aspect to them. There are a few other genres that got me interested (eg, romance, arthouse film).
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

The most appeling to me is the thriller were werewolves are the victims. I dont think a movie has ever been done like that. They just want to live their lives in peace but must in hiding and with a few humans/werehunters that may know.

A mix of genre's are nice as well. Something thats hard to define and has never been done before seem to be remembered. A like the romance option as well. Two werewolf lovers or even a werewolf and a human.

Another that really stuck out to me was the arthouse one. I would like to hear them talking about being weres and such. I always like hearing about how they feel about it, and things like that, but no movie I've ever seen had much if any of it. It shouldnt be the only thing they talk about, but I would like to hear some of those conversations.
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Silverclaw wrote:The most appeling to me is the thriller were werewolves are the victims. I dont think a movie has ever been done like that. They just want to live their lives in peace but must in hiding and with a few humans/werehunters that may know.

A mix of genre's are nice as well. Something thats hard to define and has never been done before seem to be remembered. A like the romance option as well. Two werewolf lovers or even a werewolf and a human.

Another that really stuck out to me was the arthouse one. I would like to hear them talking about being weres and such. I always like hearing about how they feel about it, and things like that, but no movie I've ever seen had much if any of it. It shouldnt be the only thing they talk about, but I would like to hear some of those conversations.
I Like that idea of the werewolf being persecuted for what he / she is, i actually got bored and wrote a story =P (yes laugh) but its been on a few werewolf forums and had some success
*When you're down... howl*
Soty
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Soty »

I dunno, I'd like to see the dark commedy aspect done, myself. With enough wit, it could become the sort of cult classic that the Evil Dead movies are. Maybe not everyone can relate to a classic love for old B films, but surely everyone can relate to humor.

Or anyway, I keep telling myself that. :D
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

....or a corporate entity trying to bulldoze a wildlife reserve that they want to protect.
I would avoid turning the werewolves into do-gooder environmentalists. That character type is, kinda two-dimensional and not entirely interesting in my mind.

If the werewolves are going to be put into a situation much bigger then themselves, then the situation has to effect them practically as well as emotionally.

If it were me, I'd show the consequences of werewolves being discovered. It'd be a witch hunt type scenerio, ultimatly resulting in the werewolves having to flee from whatever small town they decided to use as thier home base.

That'd seem to be to be far more.... personal.
Lurch
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Lurch »

I would like to see a story about weres and there lives. A fantasy film about this is far over due. I have been a werewolf fan for ages and would like to see the focus on werewolves for a change. I would like to see more of a real plotline (which I am obviously going to get) than a thrasher flick. I want to see your view of what goes on in a were's life, but keep it dramatic!
"If you love someone, set them free" - Gordon Sumner
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

Personally, Devour is the type of werewolf film I like. Not the over-the-top gory, tacky outfits, boring transformations if any, and bland plot and dialogue. *cough cough van hellsing cough cough* I really like how the writer thought this movie through. He's really done werewolf movies, and fans, justice. :D
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

WolvenOne wrote:
....or a corporate entity trying to bulldoze a wildlife reserve that they want to protect.
I would avoid turning the werewolves into do-gooder environmentalists. That character type is, kinda two-dimensional and not entirely interesting in my mind.
What I was thinking at the time was that the wildlife reserve might be the home of a pack or at the very least a place where werewolves can meet without having to worry too much about their human neighbors seeing them for what they are. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but based on what some of us came up with in other threads at a later time, it sounds like just being a werewolf would be a hazard enough.
It's still sort of the same pattern though, as the thing much bigger than they are would be society in general. I don't want to repeat myself (cuz' I know I'll get one idea after another and probably never stop typing if I do), but we came up with some really good ideas in the "Scary Effects" and "Human Form" threads that are worth checking out.
Think-Harder

Post by Think-Harder »

For me, I would want to see a movie that does not necessarily portray werewolves as cannibalistic killing machines when fully transformed, but shows all the possible ranges of emotions that we experience as well.

Take for example the TV show of the Incredible Hulk, when transformed and engraged, the Hulk could look like a demonic being, but when he was saving someone, such as a child, he could show more compassion and calm.
Such an approach should be taken for werewolves in the future. The reason this should be done is if the werewolves are the main characters of the story, and not all neccessarily villians, then to better identify and relate to them, and BELIEVE in them, it would be best if they could show some positive human like qualities, such as compassion and affection. This does NOT necessarily rule out the savage nature of such creatures when fighting, or hunting, let me give you an example:

Suppose a father werewolf, takes her baby daughter cub out hunting with him, with her being held by her hands as she grabs his neck from behind as he runs through the forest. The father puts the baby down, where they see with their glowing eyes a deer. The father signals to the young girl by pointing to go up a tree and fall down on the deer, while he flanks the deer. the baby could nod in understanding and approval, as the father pats her head. This has the advantage of showing intelligence as well as affection. Lets continue. The baby girl climbs up the tree and falls down on the deers back, biting as hard as she can on the deers flesh, this could be kind of a comedic scene, showing the baby girl being flung around and holding on only with her teeth, untill she lets go and flies away. the Father could then jump in and break the deers neck He starts cutting pieces of flesh out of the deer with his claws.

He can hear his daughter moaning, and he walks over to where she has falling, seeing that she has scratched and cut herself with the some broken wood and stems. She whines with her eyes open affectionately, asking for his comfort, he could then lick her wounds to show that he cares, next he picks up a large morsal of the deers flesh, and rips of a large chunk with his jaw. After some chewing, he takes out a morsel from his teeth and offers it to his baby girl, who takes it with wide open paws and a smile, chewing it slowly with her small teeth, as the father messages the back of her head and licks her to show his approval of her hunt.

just an example.

I would hope that some werewolf movie in the future would take this approach, it would bring werewolves out of being B-movie creatures and make them more dramatic, realistic characters, and not so two dimensional. Ah well, wishfull thinking :-)

Regardless, I do not favor horror movies with werewolves, because they are portrayed mostly as animals. My favorite werewolf movie would have to be jack Nicholson's "Wolf" because he could actually show some level of compassion when transformed at the end with Michelle Phiffer. Though I would have prefered a more traditional modern look.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

What horror there is should be more personal horror on the part of the werewolf. Dealing with what they're becoming, perhaps a bit frightened by it.

I always like more personal werewolf stories than "let's find out who the werewolf killing us is." stories.
Bete
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Bete »

O.k., I went with "horror thriller with meaningful undertones (some evil werewolves, some good)".....but, let me say that the werewolf stories of werewolf legend should be kept in mind, you know like that a majority of werewolf legends say that it is a curse or witchcraft (like from wearing a magic wolf's pelt) that causes the condition. There is also a French werewolf legend of a very helpful werewolf (loup garou). I do like the book story and the movie version of "The Howling 1" and I also like the movie "The Wolf Man" (that starred Lon Chaney Jr.).
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

Goldenwolf wrote:I LOVE a good horror werewolf (The Howling I and American Werewolf in London are my absolute faves), but I also can't stand the "I'm purely evil, blah blah bawoo" werewolf. I think the best kind of werewolf is the tortured soul, alone and trying to deal with his "curse". Perhaps he eventually learns to cope with his werewolf side, and when he comes to accept it, he suddenly has control over it to some degree. He can change at will, select who his victims are instead of mindlessly killing, etc. He cannot change what he is, or what the wolf demands of him, but he can control what he does, to some extent. This leaves it open for romances and things like that. That's also something I want to see more of, werewolf romance, but then again I'm a girl and I love that junk ;)
You basically said what I'm looking for too. Including the romance. For me I'd add some "horror thriller with meaningful undertones" to it too for some addictional conflict and action and some contact with other werewolves.
The heart pounding action! The emotional and physical agony! The romance! :o But maybe that's too much for one film...
What Mafia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Mafia? Not that I'm aware of...
Mood: Depressed

Post by What Mafia »

I want more than anything else in a movie, to see a good werewolf slasher flick. Seriously. I've seen all the Howlings and feel so...let down. :(
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

ROTFL Arthouse flick. Aw man, that's great. Woof!

Heck, I'm strange enough that I would actually like it, but I don't think it'd go over with the general public at all.

Brunch at Wolfy's (snork)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

alignment: chaotic evil

Post by Scott Gardener »

I chose "Thriller," because that's the closest match to what I've already written as my own daydream. But, arthouse, romance, and meaningful horror are up there.

I also have to comment: why does everyone want to boil stuff down to "good vs. evil"? Someone can be good and evil at the same time, and situations can make any action good, evil, or both. Nothing kills in my mind the intelligence of something more than the pegging of everything as "good" and "evil," especially if the characters have exaggerated motivations to make the pegging task that much more mindless.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...