howling alone

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
versipellis
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

howling alone

Post by versipellis »

Hi, everybody! Sorry for my terrible english (i'm italian), i hope you'll understand at least my thoughts.
From the childood I was frightened ad attrcted by everithing concerned werewolves, specially 'couse my grandpa used to tell me a story about a shoe-maker of his little city in the centre part of Italy, who was thought to be a werewolf. The italian tradition about these monsters is always related to the full moon, to the silver (which can cure the "infection", not necessarely killing the... victim) and to water, which can extinct the "fever" burning inside their body during the wolf condition. And they always howl alone: they could not cooperate with others of their own species. May be for these reasons I don't like at all movies and stories showing packs of werewolves, which could also be "good guys", preserving their human minds or the ability to act in a rational way after the transformation.
I love tradition: wolf man MUST BE a killer, thirsted of human blood, guided by simple animal instinct.
I'm sure "Freeborn" will be great, but how much I've to wait to see a genuine werewolf movie (as only John Landis was able to realize until now, in my modest opinion, and as Cursed was expected to be), scaring enough for several heart jumps, plentiful of amazing special effects?
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

hey welcome to the pack :D

yeah some of us likes the tridional werewolf (the kind you just discribed) but i like the modernized version (the werewolf has full conterol over him self and the transformations) but thats me.

and free born won't be one of those slaser WW movies its about the modernized WW.

i think ww howl alone for emotional reason like over welming fear and anger and sadness (like when one lost a loved one)
THE GAME

My Armory
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I don't like movie-werewolves. Every time when I watch another werewolf-movie it ends up being a drama. Like these ones:

Van Helsing: Looks good, but... ripping out of the skin? WTF?!!

Underworld: Poor design, walks on ceilings, doesn't have many fur.

Ginger Snaps: Is this a joke? Those oversized puppets couldn't even
scare my dog.

American Werewolf in London: Very nice transformation, but overall less spectacular.

American Werewolf in Paris: Hey, a rat-monkey!

I do like stories, especially stories that are claimed to have actually happened. When you listen to a story, you can make up your own werewolf, in your mind. :) And you save your money on renting movies. :P
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Anubis wrote:and free born won't be one of those slaser WW movies its about the modernized WW.
That's not to say there won't be aspects of that in Freeborn. ABrownrigg feels very strongly about keeping the traditional influences of silver and the full moon, for example. Also, although werewolves in Freeborn have their own choices to make about good and evil, I think there is good hope for the appearance of werewolves that choose the latter -- those who would likely revel in killing, thirst for blood, and act the perfect beast.

Even if you don't agree with everything about the werewolves in Freeborn (I sure don't!), there ought be aspects of it that you like all the same (if not: help us -- we value your opinion). The last thing we want to do is isolate any portion of our fanbase.
So, without further ado: Welcome to the Pack, versipellis! :howl:  :oo

I hope you enjoy your stay here, and, perhaps, find something you can love about Freeborn.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: howling alone

Post by Figarou »

versipellis wrote:Hi, everybody! Sorry for my terrible english (i'm italian), i hope you'll understand at least my thoughts.
From the childood I was frightened ad attrcted by everithing concerned werewolves, specially 'couse my grandpa used to tell me a story about a shoe-maker of his little city in the centre part of Italy, who was thought to be a werewolf. The italian tradition about these monsters is always related to the full moon, to the silver (which can cure the "infection", not necessarely killing the... victim) and to water, which can extinct the "fever" burning inside their body during the wolf condition. And they always howl alone: they could not cooperate with others of their own species. May be for these reasons I don't like at all movies and stories showing packs of werewolves, which could also be "good guys", preserving their human minds or the ability to act in a rational way after the transformation.
I love tradition: wolf man MUST BE a killer, thirsted of human blood, guided by simple animal instinct.
I'm sure "Freeborn" will be great, but how much I've to wait to see a genuine werewolf movie (as only John Landis was able to realize until now, in my modest opinion, and as Cursed was expected to be), scaring enough for several heart jumps, plentiful of amazing special effects?

1st of all... :welcome: and :tongue:

:jester:

Each country has developed thier own stories, folklore, and tradition about the werewolf. Its good this forum here so everyone can get together and talk about them.

:duckie
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

I personally like the in-control kindof werewolves the most :)

But I do like to hear about your good ol' fashoned killer werewolves of old :D
versipellis
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by versipellis »

Thanks to everybody for welcome.
Obviously I' ve just expressed my personal point of view and I respect all of your opinions. My position could appear very "old fashioned", I know: but I'm just a bit afraid that the "modern werevolves look" is too similar to a super hero-like interpretation of this myth, which has nothing to do with the original. I would like to be really scared by some new fantastic movie (like "an american..." did in the past) and I really hope "freeborn" will be the one.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I've fallen in love with all types of werewolves. I do very well love the traditional werewolf of myth and legend that we as humans fear. I was given that as an example of what a werewolf was and liked it, also because I love folk lore and legends. Though I also really love the 'new age' werewolves, mainly just nice 'anthro animals'. I think people are into werewolves are more of the nicer kind as an animal with human charateristics because they come from our favorite animals, but are even more intellegent and made much more like us. Yet anyway I'm into all kinds of werewolves.
:D

Oh, and your English. Its certainly not bad, for I've seen alot of people who have english as their first language and they have horrible typing on the computer!
Last edited by outwarddoodles on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

:welcome: versipellis! I like the traditional werewolves too. There's something about them that's appealing to me (not to mention all the stories that are supposed to be true dealing with them). I'm interested to see a new take on the werewolf though :D If you remember any of the stories your grandfather told, I'd be interested to them (I bet other pack members would be to hwlwnk )
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

yea i love the modern werewolf but you can't go wrong on the WW's slaher killing spree heratige :) (i said it once and i say it again I CAN'T SPELL!!)
THE GAME

My Armory
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

I'm just a wuss. I like my werewolves fuzzy and more wolfish, but not psycho crazy kill. I just worry about people thinking real wolves are like that, and getting a bad idea about them as a species. If it can be understood that wolves aren't dangerous slobbering evil psychotics, then I don't mind the killer werewolf image. It does get tiresome, though. Freeborn is like a breath of sweet fresh air to me.

Oh yeah, and welcome! Your English looks fine to me. :)
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

I definiatly don't want people thinking that real wolves are evil and kill just for the pleasure of it. A change of personality in the werewolf movies is pretty cool though. It's a side that really hasn't been seen, but should be there :D
NightStorm
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightStorm »

real wolves are not evil

Anyway. I'm all for trad weres. But I'm exceited to see FB showing a new light on them. which is quite unquie
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Anubis wrote:yea i love the modern werewolf but you can't go wrong on the WW's slaher killing spree heratige :) (i said it once and i say it again I CAN'T SPELL!!)
Dont worry about your other spelling. Its the sodger and snipper riffle that keeps bugging me. 1 F and 1 P.

As for the evil wolf idea. Hollywood has portrayed werewolfs as mindless killing beast that takes pleasure in killing humans and raping other dogs. This also makes people portray wolves as aggressors even if they dont think of them as that.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Hollywood always makes stuff up and overblemishes the facts. Many Europeans I know refer to inferior quality films as "Americanized"
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

thats so true.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Akela wrote:Hollywood always makes stuff up and overblemishes the facts. Many Europeans I know refer to inferior quality films as "Americanized"
That goes with food items as well.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Figarou wrote:
Akela wrote:Hollywood always makes stuff up and overblemishes the facts. Many Europeans I know refer to inferior quality films as "Americanized"
That goes with food items as well.
yeah, alot of people think that american chocalyte like hershies is the best, but hands down german chocalyte is the best there is.
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:That goes with food items as well.
yeah, alot of people think that american chocalyte like hershies is the best, but hands down german chocalyte is the best there is.[/quote]

That really depends on the chocolate.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

I actually like the Fanta in Europe more than I like the Fanta here :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Black Shuck wrote:I actually like the Fanta in Europe more than I like the Fanta here :lol:
Wanta Fanta?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote: Wanta Fanta?
*deadpan* uh-huh
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

you lok hot in all that plaster drink it up. Faster! Faster!
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

I'm not a fan of the 'traditional' Werewolf, I like the 'Modern' one.

I hate the bloodthristy mindless beast with absolute passion. I however, don't mind a Werewolf that has full control, but still has to kill, like GoldenWolf's Kierrn.

In that case, the Were isn't so bloodthristy, but they're still a killer, getting to pick and choose your targets is a definate plus. Keep you from waking up with your friend's(or whatever..) corpse on the floor, half-eaten 'n all.

:P

But I still prefer the 'Modern' fully controlled Werewolf above all others. :D
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

true, but for a scary flick, having a werewolf thats unable to control itself is pretty intensive.
Image Image