Werewolves and pets

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Werewolves and pets

Post by Silverclaw »

Do you think that dogs should bark angrily whenever a werewolf in human form passes? I've seen that kindof thing a lot in movies; angry dogs, hissing cats, ect. I dont really think that a werewolf would keep any pets themselves. What do you think?
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

Depends on whether in real life a wolf and a household pet can coexist in the same place without attacking or maddoging each other.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

A dog might bark at a werewolf, but that's simply because they bark at other canines period. I seriously doubt the neighborhood cats would care. In my opinion the whole "animals going cukoo when a were is around" thing is a bit cheesy.

As for keeping pets I think a werewolf would have enough to deal with without having to care for an animal. If they did have a pet it'd probably just be a goldfish or something.
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

I think its possible for a werewolf and a pet to coexist together, unless it happened to have been raised to hunt creatures such as wolves in which case it'd be a good idea to get rid of the dog. The pet would certainly have to get used to living with a werewolf and some probably couldn't handle the stress. Pet rabbits are out for example. But I think if a pet can get used to living with a human, it can get used to living with a human that also happens to be a wolf sometimes. However, a werewolf walking down a street as a human might get some odd reactions to a him or her from the various animal life I think. Maybe some would run away, maybe some dogs would bark, but I think other animals for the most part would just keep their distance.
Lasthowl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lasthowl »

I'd think it'd be a territory thing. Werewolves register to dogs as a "big dog" in their territory, so they're barking to tell the werewolf to stay away, but they're secretly pissing themselves that something that could take away their territory is this close.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

I think some werewolves would keep pets, if only as an excuse for why they are buying boxes of jerky-treats and chewtoys and flea-powder.
:lol:
"It's... uh... for my pet schnauzer, really!" :oops:
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

Ah, there's also the "Why do you have all these rats and mice?"
"Uh...for the snake."
"Dude, you don't have a snake."
"I keep it outside..."
"You mean just like those three sheep you were keeping out there last week?"
"Two now actually..."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ChaosWolf wrote:I think some werewolves would keep pets, if only as an excuse for why they are buying boxes of jerky-treats and chewtoys and flea-powder.
"It's... uh... for my pet schnauzer, really!" :oops:

Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Actually i would like to see werewolves have pets. Dogs basically no cats who needs cats. But yeah i would think that the werewolves would be able to communicate with their pets on a new level maybe adding some more animal like language into the movie. That would be a neat idea. The werewolves having a natural affinity with their pets adding more depth to the fact that werewolves are not raving monsters but instead part animal. Perhaps dogs will no longer be just man's best friend. Could they possibly be werewolf's best friend? :?
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Sure, I think a werewolf could have a pet. And why not? A dog when he first sees his master as a werewolf might freak him out at first and he might go crazy. However, once the dog picks up the scent of his owner and realizes that this huge beastial thing standing in front of him are the same master he will accept it.

Remember, dogs are pack driven just like wolves. So lets say a dog dosen't accept his master's new form then the order of heirarchy kicks in where the werewolf must prove his dominance over his pet (which shoulden't pose too much of a challenge). Though, given time...a average dog will be able to accept it really quickly.

As for other animals freaking out when a werewolf passes by, well that all depends. If the dog normally barks at another passing dog then its very likely he'll bark at a passing werewolf.
Nouska
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Nouska »

Were (after 1 hour of yipping): What the hell are the barking at? *Looks at dog for a few seconds... get s the message*
Were: Oh him? Continue with the barking, lets drive him mad! :howl:  :oo

Oh well that sucked
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Darth Canis wrote:Perhaps dogs will no longer be just man's best friend. Could they possibly be werewolf's best friend? :?
I dunno...
I read a story where a werewolf tries to romance any "lady schnauzers" he comes across...
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Darth Canis wrote:Perhaps dogs will no longer be just man's best friend. Could they possibly be werewolf's best friend? :?
I dunno...
I read a story where a werewolf tries to romance any "lady schnauzers" he comes across...
:o I swear, I had NOTHING to do with that. I don't care what rumors you've heard, that was NOT me... :shock:
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

ChaosWolf wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
I dunno...
:o I swear, I had NOTHING to do with that. I don't care what rumors you've heard, that was NOT me... :shock:

Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

ChaosWolf wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
I dunno...
Of course not: I know you, and you're a Huskie & Shar-Pei mix, err, man, born and raised.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Sure. Considering the feelings of anti-trust that come with being a werewolf, I'd consider it fairly natural for a werewolf to want a friend they wouldn't need to worry about spilling the beans about them being a werewolf. Plus, if he had a dog or a couple of cats, people would be less likely to inquire about who'd been shedding all over his place.

I think large dogs -- especially close relatives to wolves like huskies and malamutes -- might be the preferred pet, both because they can relate to them, and because any bad habits the werewolf might have could be pinned on the dog when the neighbors inquire, though I don't think they would have anything against any other species.

As for animals freaking out when they pass by... Well, that's not unnatural. My mother's dog barks at anyone she hasn't seen within the last five minutes (so I get barked at every time I do a #2). It might happen, but no more to them than anything else.

If anything, animals notorious for their curiosity might be drawn to werewolves because, though they may be familiar with both the scent of a human and the scent of a canine, the blend of man and wolf could confuse them and encourage them to get a closer look. If that's the case, it'll really be up to the werewolf how the animal percieves him.

As for when he is in werewolf form... If they had identified his/her scent prior while in human form, they might warm up to him/her the same way they would when human. Otherwise, if confronted by a 7 ft. wolf hyberd, I think they'd react the same way we would. :wink:
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

Oh my gosh! I can just imagine a huge hybrid werewolf walking his little Yorkshire terrier... or some other fluffy teacup sized dog. :D Ahhh but really, I think domestic pets would be fine, as long as they were of the canine kind.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Apokryltaros wrote:
ChaosWolf wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
I dunno...
Of course not: I know you, and you're a Huskie & Shar-Pei mix, err, man, born and raised.
Well, Huskies, yeah, but a Shar-Pei? Are you kidding? Well, okay, there was that one time, but I was really buzzed off some coconut cream pie... I swear that's it!
My Werewolf Code!:
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Darkmoon wrote:Oh my gosh! I can just imagine a huge hybrid werewolf walking his little Yorkshire terrier... or some other fluffy teacup sized dog. :D Ahhh but really, I think domestic pets would be fine, as long as they were of the canine kind.
I would have to question the sexual preference of that werewolf! :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

I can see it now.

Werewolf enters pet dog in a dog show contest. Werewolf gets the blue ribbon.

or

Werewolf throws frisbee to dog, but werewolf chases after it and catches it in his mouth before the dog does.

:D
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Animal Significant-Others

Post by Scott Gardener »

To a dog, a werewolf as I generally picture one would appear to look like a person but smell not quite like a dog, but a lot more dog-like than any other person.

Dogs generally interact with humans as if we were fellow dogs as is--sometimes friendly, sometimes aggressive, depending on learned behavior and concepts of territory. This interaction would be the same, only more so.

But, dogs are intimidated by people who have something different about them. Dogs can be terrible racists, for example; a dog who has seen only white people all his or her life might be more prone to bark at the first black person he or she encounters. Not that the dog wants to join the KKK or even would have any arguments against the great speeches of the Reverand Martin Luthor King, Jr. some 40 years ago; the animal is just noticing that there's something different and is frightened. Same thing happens the first time a white person visits an African-American household. I once saw a person walking around the neighborhood with a child riding on a back pack; from a distance, the guy looked like he had two heads. The neighborhood dog went crazy, barking frantically until she figured it out.

Cats are very individualistic, but I would expect that the canine scent would cause the cat to react towards a lycanthrope just as that cat does towards large dogs.

A dog would certainly be intimidated by seeing someone shapeshift the first time or two. A cat would likewise be afraid. Exact reactions vary with each individual animal. If I were a werewolf shapeshifting for the first time, here's the reactions I would expect from the pets in my household: Zara, the resident spooky black cat, would run away, knock stuff over, and hide under the bed for the rest of the day. Our Himalayan cat Mara would also run and hide, but would come out in an hour or two wanting to be fed or to sit on the couch and purr. Blot, our elderly cocker spaniel, would take awhile to notice, since she's nearly blind and deaf, but would then bark frantically for a few minutes. As soon as she figured out by scent that it was still me, she'd want to follow me around as I shot out the door, into the night. The following day, mortified witnesses would recount attacks by a bizarre creature, half-human, half creature, being chased by a happy, panting little dog wagging her little rump.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

If the animal was brought up in a household full of werewolves then they probably would not notice the oddity of people changing forms all the time. To the animals it would be normal behaviors for their alpha. I know if my husky had the chance to play with me as a werewolf she would be crazy with happiness.Cuz she thinks i run to slow now. I really think a dog maybe a cat brought up in a household of werewolves would probably be the happiest animals imaginable. :lol:
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
JoeDarkfall
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by JoeDarkfall »

The family of Werewolves in "Dog Soldiers" had a dog. :wink:
JoeDarkfall
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by JoeDarkfall »

The family of Werewolves in "Dog Soldiers" had a dog.