Werewolves and pets

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

Sure, I don't see any problems with werewolves having dogs as pets. Dogs (normally) see their owners as the "alpha dog" of the household so with a werewolf, they would be a very strong, dominant large alpha male to the dog hehe...

I own a Great Dane myself and he's a very large lap dog (or so he thinks). :wink: Great people dogs, they are.

As far as other dogs and animals acting strangely around a human werewolf, it's only natural and normal as they can sense alot more things about a person then we can.
ShadowWolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by ShadowWolf »

Personally, I don't see a problem with a werewolf owning a pet. (Though I must say, after reading this topic, I keep getting this amusing image of a big biped werewolf walking down the street with a poodle that's got the big puff ball on the end of its tail and everything :lol: ) The way I see it, a lot of people own multiple dogs of different breeds that get along well with each other. I don't see any reason for the dog not to think that the werewolf wasn't just another dog to hang around with. Provided the wolf isn't tying to kill the dog or something.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Dogs I think would be more common since the werewolf would know more about them, but I don't think they'd restrict themselves to them. It's not uncommon for different species to mingle in the wild - the whole thing about cats and dogs being enemies is a load of bull. In fact, it could be that werewolves would be less likely to have a dog since they relate too well to them - they might see owning a dog as being like owning one of their own.

Which raises an interesting question... If a pack of werewolves lived with one human, is the human the family pet?
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

Terastas wrote:Which raises an interesting question... If a pack of werewolves lived with one human, is the human the family pet?
I'm now envisioning a werewolf in a suit-and-tie walking a naked-and-leashed human down the street...

Werewolf: :o "No! Not on the neighbor's lawn! Bad Mr. Roberts, bad boy!"
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

ChaosWolf wrote:Now envisioning a werewolf in a suit-and-tie walking a naked-and-leashed human down the street...

:lol: Heh. I don't know about that, but I could picture a bunch of werewolves patting him on the head, or asking him to come over normally first, then going "Here, here boy! C'mon who'sa good boy!" on his way over to pick on him.

I'm thinking about it, and since both the werewolf and the human are sentient, even if one did get kept as a pet, they'd still refer to him as a member of the family. Kind of like Brian's relationship with the Griffin's in Family Guy - he's the family pet, but he can interact on an equal (and often higher) level with them.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
ChaosWolf wrote:Now envisioning a werewolf in a suit-and-tie walking a naked-and-leashed human down the street...

:lol: Heh. I don't know about that, but I could picture a bunch of werewolves patting him on the head, or asking him to come over normally first, then going "Here, here boy! C'mon who'sa good boy!" on his way over to pick on him.

I'm thinking about it, and since both the werewolf and the human are sentient, even if one did get kept as a pet, they'd still refer to him as a member of the family. Kind of like Brian's relationship with the Griffin's in Family Guy - he's the family pet, but he can interact on an equal (and often higher) level with them.

And to think I was the silly one in this forum.

Heh, good one. :wink:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Hey, why not? The vampires in Blade had pet humans called "familiars," so why couldn't a werewolf do the same? 8)
WordWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ad bestiae Christi

Post by WordWolf »

(double post)
Last edited by WordWolf on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
WordWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ad bestiae Christi

Post by WordWolf »

I think, if you were showing a werewolf (werewolves) who treated a human
as a "pet" or otherwise inferior, (I'm ignoring all the BDSM denotations
since I'm sure the movie does NOT want to go there),
you'd show him to be a snob, a racist.
He'd basically be thinking that, since this person is not like him,
they're inferior in some way, maybe even mentally.
It's not inconceivable for one to view normal humans as
mentally-deficient or retarded by comparison.

Those would be the types most likely to underestimate a human
and get shot by one.

Since humans have healthy family structures,
and wolves have healthy family structures,
there should be little pretext for "happy" loner werewolves.
Organizing as a family would be "normal".
A dog would be a great idea as a pet, especially a big dog.

A domestic canine would have little difficulty growing up learning to
accept that their "family" changed from human to canine.
So long as they were treated kindly, and communicated with clearly,
they'd adjust to the situation as "normal".

By "communication", I mean that the "rules" are consistent.
If a werewolf didn't want to play, and wanted the dog to stay away,
they might consistently use a warning growl.
If a werewolf DID want to play (and who doesn't, at some point?)
they might use a specific bark, which the dog would associate
with "fun" and come running, tail wagging.

Dogs would make great guards, and would bark at possible trouble
(if trained to).

Finally, dogs would be a BRILLIANT screen.

"We found these big canine footprints behind your house!"
"Of course you did. We have a rottweiler and a Doberman!"
"Oh. Never mind then."

Further, if there's dogs in the same basic shape as a wolf, a wolf-shaped
werewolf could pass for it in dim lighting.

(He looked out his window, groggily, at 3am. He saw what was probably
the neighbor's German Shepherd running through the brush, and went
back to sleep, forgetting about it an instant later.)

I suppose different werewolves might prefer different dog-breeds,
for that matter.

Those prizing intelligence would probably go for German Shepherds
and mixes.

Those prizing strength might go for Rottweilers.

Pitbulls, if trained to be so, can be very vicious.
(If NOT trained to be so, they can be pretty friendly but LOOK tough.)

Those raising a family will probably want dogs that have mild
dispositions, so they are less likely to bite Junior.

I would suspect such an attack, if it happened, to be responded to
with "uncharacteristic" violence. Seeing a werewolf just flatten a dog
who attacked Junior would seem perfectly characteristic to me.
It's also got that straighforwardness I'd expect from a werewolf.

Well, those are my thoughts on dogs and werewolves.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:Hey, why not? The vampires in Blade had pet humans called "familiars," so why couldn't a werewolf do the same? 8)
For a werewolf to have a pet human, it may add humor to the film. But if the werewolf kept the human tied up, or mistreated the human, then I see no point in having it in the film.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:For a werewolf to have a pet human, it may add humor to the film. But if the werewolf kept the human tied up, or mistreated the human, then I see no point in having it in the film.
*nods* That's what I was thinking. There's realistically no possible way the relationship could be abusive - the werewolf could tear the human apart and the human could call up every tabloid and occult magazine in the world and give them his name and number. A werewolf could only have a pet human or vice versa as a joke; an equal relationship where, in the presence of a majority, the odd man out may be referred to as the other's pet out of spite or humor.

So yeah, it'd mostly be just an element of humor for the most part.

"Hey Mike, while you're up, can you get me a beer?"
"Sure."
"That's it. Here, bring it here boy. That's it, who'sa good boy-"
"Can it Furball."
:lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
Figarou wrote:For a werewolf to have a pet human, it may add humor to the film. But if the werewolf kept the human tied up, or mistreated the human, then I see no point in having it in the film.
*nods* That's what I was thinking. There's realistically no possible way the relationship could be abusive - the werewolf could tear the human apart and the human could call up every tabloid and occult magazine in the world and give them his name and number. A werewolf could only have a pet human or vice versa as a joke; an equal relationship where, in the presence of a majority, the odd man out may be referred to as the other's pet out of spite or humor.

So yeah, it'd mostly be just an element of humor for the most part.

"Hey Mike, while you're up, can you get me a beer?"
"Sure."
"That's it. Here, bring it here boy. That's it, who'sa good boy-"
"Can it Furball."
OMG!! That is so funny. Good one!! :lol:
Wyla
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Singing dog

Post by Wyla »

If a werewolf in their human 'form' had, say, a dog for the pet, wouldn't it give the owner a strange advantage in a way? What I'm getting at is if the dog could sense the canine side of their owner, they would treat it as one of 'themselves'. The owner would have the alpha position over their pets, so maybe that factor would affect the way their pets act? Would a dog try to challenge the owner for the alpha position. :?
Razo wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Online sometimes...

Sign

Post by Razo wolf »

*envisions a sign on the fence of a werewolfs fence*

Forget the dog..Beware of owner :x
Shift_
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Sign

Post by ChaosWolf »

Razo wolf wrote:*envisions a sign on the fence of a werewolfs fence*

You can actually buy a sign like that...
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Wyla wrote:Would a dog try to challenge the owner for the alpha position. :?
I think some dogs do that naturally, and likely would just as likely with a human owner as a lycanthrope.
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Dogs generally react to things they're not familiar with. I would expect for a Werewolf (or, at least, a recently shifted Werewolf) to have a different smell to them. If a Werewolf has a dog, that dog would probably not bark at another Werewolf (or not because he's a Werewolf, anyway); but a dog that's never been around Werewolves, I would expect to bark.
Razo wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Online sometimes...

Post by Razo wolf »

ChaosWolf wrote:

hmm you can i didnt know that.........
Shift_
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Razo wolf wrote:
ChaosWolf wrote:

hmm you can i didnt know that.........
I seen one that says..."Forget the dog..owner has a gun."
Suho Wolf
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Werewolves and Pets

Post by Suho Wolf »

I think a werewolf's reaction to dogs might depend on what form he is in, and how much presence of mind the film allows him to retain in "wolf" form.

I can envision a scene where a dog (not his) comes up to sniff a werewolf while in human form, maybe he starts to act weird, and the human growls at him when no one is looking, and the dog takes off with tail between legs.

The more I consider it, a werewolf may resent that people keep other dogs as 'pets.' Probably wouldn't keep one himself; although the posting about using them as a means of masking his own tracks and activity is an interesting one.
Mitternacht
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

thoughts

Post by Mitternacht »

sorry if this has been said before. I'm still sort of new and havent had a chance to get to read all the posts completly.

Couple of things come to mind with the Werewolf & pet concept. First off I dont see why they wouldnt have pets. I agree thta , in come cases, especially if there arent other of their kind around, they might want the company of any animal that isnt going to treat them like a walking freak show. The dog name Fido is short for Fedelis or Faithful so I can see where toi woudl be a source of comfort for Werewolves tohave a pet that woudl " be there for them" no questions asked.

As far as anima reactions to Werewolves goes. I' have seen in at least one story, The Wolfs Hour by Robert McHammon, that Animals do react to Werewolves, but not becasue they "sence anything . They react to teh Scent of the wolf on his skin. I figure humans wont pick up on thta but a dog would. Additionally, I woudl imagine that all breeds of Canines would possibily become quite submissive to a Werewolf simply because the scent might trigger genetic memories and woudl register as " Oh Crap Alpha!" sort of thing.

-Mitty
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Hmmm...I can see it now.

A dog walks up to werewolf thats in human form.

Dog... *sniff sniff*

Werewolf... :shift: then growls at dog showing the fangs. Image

dog runs away *yipe yipe*

:D

:duckie
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

'Twould probably make a dog nervous, but not barking-ly so. Prey animals would be nervous. (hey, they're called prey for a reason.)

You could prbabaly have it at two way for canines. eother they would be unhappy, or friendly, since dogs can be friends with other dogs. if it's your pet, a dog would prbabaly look at you as the cheif. Dogs to that tto humans, so it's logical to think they would to wolf-humans.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Wolves that encounter dogs in the wild usually do one of two things:

1) Mate with it if the dog is in heat. May or may not take, male wolves are only fertile in fall.

2) Eat it. There are many cases of dogs being eaten by wolves. I have an old nature magazine about a guy who went out walking with his husky and she ran off when they noticed some wolves. All that was left of her was some fur and bone fragments.

I don't see werewolves having dogs as pets, if they worked at a zoo they may associate with the captive wolves though. Even though a dog is a sub-species of wolf they are to domestic they do not often understand wolf behavior or communication.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Wolves that encounter dogs in the wild usually do one of two things:

1) Mate with it if the dog is in heat. May or may not take, male wolves are only fertile in fall.

2) Eat it. There are many cases of dogs being eaten by wolves. I have an old nature magazine about a guy who went out walking with his husky and she ran off when they noticed some wolves. All that was left of her was some fur and bone fragments.

I don't see werewolves having dogs as pets, if they worked at a zoo they may associate with the captive wolves though. Even though a dog is a sub-species of wolf they are to domestic they do not often understand wolf behavior or communication.

Gee, I don't think a male werewolf is going to go Image when a female Collie comes his way.