overall werewolf abilities

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Figarou wrote:Sure its easy to say "the werewolf would shrink a little."

If the werewolf in Freeborn is 100% CGI, that would be easy to do. But how are you going to make someone wearing a werewolf costume look as if he lost some mass compared to his human form?

Lets say they used "real wolves" as the wolf form. How can you explain the incredible loss of mass and size if the wolves they use are small ones?
Ok, my turn at tackling these questions. For the first one: use a smaller guy in the suit. If he's gonna be covered in fur anyway we aren't gonna know it's not the same actor.

To the second: don't use actors who are the same height as a giraffe. Get short people to play the parts. You can still make them look average size, just take the set and everything down in scale a bit.
Last edited by Set on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Reilune wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:If you become smaller then you will be easier to take down.
That's what alot of people think. And when they get into a fight with someone small (like say...me, this is experience talking here) and I whoop them they're all like "WTF? How did she do that?" It's funny really. If you're small they'll underestimate you and wonder what happened after you tear off their arm and beat them with it. Small creatures are actually quite tough, it's just that nobody gives them enough credit.
yes they are quite tough, but they will still be easier to take down I said, Try wrestleing a bear and you wont have a chance in hell, but if you try wrestling a wolf then you can take him down easier sence you weigh more.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote:It was you guys who decalared that a werewolf can be in both gastalt and wolf in the frist place, stop whinning.
I'm not "Whining".

I'm just stating that think that Comic-Book/ Action-SciFi style Monster Uber-Wolf Gestalt forms are not very compatable with Tri-Form werewolves, like the ones suggested for "Freeborn".

Comprimise is needed to make it fit into the setting.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

WHy cant you just go by what Lobo Leo said and let it rest.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

I definately don't wanna see a werewolf under 5'10, I just think small werewolves would be ridiculous and weird. All IMHO of course.

"Look at that werewolf! It's bigger and stronger than us, lets run!"
"Uhh... no it's not"
"Nevermind then, let's go beat it up"
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Akela wrote:I definately don't wanna see a werewolf under 5'10, I just think small werewolves would be ridiculous and weird. All IMHO of course.

"Look at that werewolf! It's bigger and stronger than us, lets run!"
"Uhh... no it's not"
"Nevermind then, let's go beat it up"
Well I wouldnt have that kind of attittude about a werewolf thats smaller than me but sense its a less itimidating enemy then regular civilians would be up to fighting agients it rather than the government sending special forces with nanotech armor. Thats far from invincible!!
Last edited by Shadow Wulf on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Huh? I don't really get what your saying.
Though I'm not really worried about the size thing and I know AB will make the right choice. I really don't know why people are so worried about realism to the max, because werewolves are realistic in the first place?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote: yes they are quite tough, but they will still be easier to take down I said, Try wrestleing a bear and you wont have a chance in hell, but if you try wrestling a wolf then you can take him down easier sence you weigh more.
Why must Werewolves be "INVINCIBLE"?

I don't know about you, but for me... "Werewolf = Unstoppable Uber-Creature" is not a true statement in my mind.

...I never did think of it this way. That was never the point.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im not saying werewolfs are INVINCIBLE or GODLIKE
The way I see you can kill a werewolf is drownig burning being shot multiple times, one shot in the head and cutting off the head.
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote: Okay...this is really driving me nuts.

Part of me really wants to Open my personal 5' 7", 123 lb. can of "WHOOP [spoiler]A**[/spoiler]" on you to teach you to grow out of this Naive lack of respect for creatures of equal or lesser size than you.

Like Reilune, I Have gotten into fights with people far larger and stronger looking than me, and every time, I was the one left standing with a smug look on my face at the end of it.

Serioulsly...if you go on through life with this attitude, you will likely find your Butt handed to you on a platter some day by some 5' 3" dude who you shrugged off as "Not a threat", and mistakenly turned your back on...

...you would be a fool to not be concerned, even if that person was just an ordinary looking guy...but doubly so if it were a 5' 3" WereWolf. Seriously...how could you just shrug that off?

...you couldn't...or you'd pay dearly for it if you did.
Do note that A) I concoct and draw monsters on a regular basis, and all of the smaller monsters I make are dangerous only because they're either aggressive, facultive parasites that literally eat their hosts from the inside out, or are extraordinarily poisonous, and even then, that won't stop them from being eaten, and B) I come from another dimension where the majority of larger multicellular organisms routinely feed on smaller multicellular organisms, C) I saw a movie with a midget werewolf, and I was scarred for life, and D) there's a reason why I picked Atma instead of Mesosaur from FF6.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Vuldari wrote:yes they are quite tough, but they will still be easier to take down I said, Try wrestleing a bear and you wont have a chance in hell, but if you try wrestling a wolf then you can take him down easier sence you weigh more.
He never said they were invincible or anything like that, just that a creature that is smaller would be easier to pin to the ground.
I don't think werewolves should be invincible either, making them grow half a foot isn't going to make them god of war.

EDIT: Forgot to quote, seems that there were 2 more posts while I was typing.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:I didn't say "I don't want shrinking" or "Real wolves not to be used" I'm just trying to make some sence in that area.
Sorry...

I'm just so used to people trying to push one opinion or another, (Something I have been very guilty of myself lately...), that I assumed that you were doing the same somehow.

...but, in fact...you were just posing UNBIASED questions that you thought need to be answered.

Good show Figarou...

...my bad. Image ...carry on then.

I thought I'd turn the tables and go with what they are going to use. And thats costumes, CGI, and real wolves. There is no way to give facts about werewolves when they don't exist. So my opinions may not make any sence in that area.

I'll be happy if they have a mixture of werewolves in Freeborn. Some with lots of fur. Others with less. Tall ones. Short ones. Fat ones. Skinny ones. Muscular, non-muscular, ETC. With all those differences, I'll be able to pick my favorite. :D
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

And Vuldari, I dont like how everyone is pushing each other oppinions here including you, I hate it when people just attack me like this intead of letting it be. :roll:
Image Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

That's what happens when there are many opposing viewpoints. And my friends call me a contrarian.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote:Why must Werewolves be "INVINCIBLE"?

I don't know about you, but for me... "Werewolf = Unstoppable Uber-Creature" is not a true statement in my mind.

Just because they're larger than you doesn't make them invincible.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Lupin wrote:
Vuldari wrote:Why must Werewolves be "INVINCIBLE"?

Just because they're larger than you doesn't make them invincible.
Just because they're smaller than you doesn't mean they're whimps and easily beatable. .

I'd love to see those who think size equates weeniess to take on a Puma, bare handed. My money is on the puma disembowling you. .they weigh
Male lions typically weigh 110 to 180 pounds, while the females are slightly smaller, weighing 80 to 130 pounds.

These cats have been responsible for a number of human deaths.

I also would wager none of ya'll who think a were who isn't 7+ ft tall is a wimp have had a 100 lb dog lunge at you. I have, and guess what, scared the SH*t out of me. You add speed, claws, human intelligence, and twice that weight, and that dog wouldv'e done a good job on me. .and possibly killed me.

They don't have to be Jeffry the Giraffe to be dangerous. . .
Lt Com Kyr

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Shadow Wulf wrote:And Vuldari, I dont like how everyone is pushing each other oppinions here including you, I hate it when people just attack me like this intead of letting it be. :roll:
I'm very sorry. I'm not trying to be pushy. I just beleive what I believe, and I'm trying to show that my opinion has "merit", by providing as many examples as possible to demostnrate why it is good.

... what do you mean by "letting it be"?
Apokryltaros wrote:Do note that A) I concoct and draw monsters on a regular basis, and all of the smaller monsters I make are dangerous only because they're either aggressive, facultive parasites that literally eat their hosts from the inside out, or are extraordinarily poisonous, and even then, that won't stop them from being eaten, and B) I come from another dimension where the majority of larger multicellular organisms routinely feed on smaller multicellular organisms, C) I saw a movie with a midget werewolf, and I was scarred for life, and D) there's a reason why I picked Atma instead of Mesosaur from FF6.
All that is just stuff within your own imagination. (or bad works of cinematic fiction) Do you have any RL experience with confronting other REAL "living creatures" in hostile experiences?

...I have...

Large and small Dogs... HouseCats ...Cows... Chickens... Small-Birds... Raccoons... Snakes... Horses... Goats... and, obvioiusly other Human Beings.

And I can tell you from personal experience...no matter how strong and confident you are, anyone would be a fool to take any other hostile creature, of ANY size lightly...

=^.^'= ~
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

So for all of you saying that they should shrink, and that growing doesn't make any sense because the mass has to come from somewhere, the same problem applies to shrinking: Where does the extra mass go?
To the muzzle, fur, and tail. It has to come from somewhere. Also, I'm not saying to shrink them by a foot or more. Just enough to compensate for muzzle growth and the like.

I have no problem with variety. I just have a fierce hatred for uber-wolves is all.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

mielikkishunt wrote:
Just because they're smaller than you doesn't mean they're whimps and easily beatable. .

I'd love to see those who think size equates weeniess to take on a Puma, bare handed. My money is on the puma disembowling you. .they weigh
Male lions typically weigh 110 to 180 pounds, while the females are slightly smaller, weighing 80 to 130 pounds.
So they weigh about the same as a human, but they're also 7-8 foot long, which doesn't really make them 'smaller,.'

I also would wager none of ya'll who think a were who isn't 7+ ft tall is a wimp have had a 100 lb dog lunge at you. I have, and guess what, scared the SH*t out of me. You add speed, claws, human intelligence, and twice that weight, and that dog wouldv'e done a good job on me. .and possibly killed me.
No, not really, I know I'm larger than the dog, and can usually use that fact to get them to back down.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote: All that is just stuff within your own imagination. (or bad works of cinematic fiction) Do you have any RL experience with confronting other REAL "living creatures" in hostile experiences?

...I have...

Large and small Dogs... HouseCats ...Cows... Chickens... Small-Birds... Raccoons... Snakes... Horses... Goats... and, obvioiusly other Human Beings.

And I can tell you from personal experience...no matter how strong and confident you are, anyone would be a fool to take any other hostile creature, of ANY size lightly...
I avoid all hostile confrontations with other creatures, unless I have an advantage of some sort, be it height, a rock, stick, food dish, or tranquilizer gun.
Except for snakes.
For some reason, whenever I encounter a snake, it tends to have a bowel movement as a result.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Lupin wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:

So they weigh about the same as a human, but they're also 7-8 foot long, which doesn't really make them 'smaller,.'
Only if you include their tail, which has no benefit in a fight. .. well, they could beat the snot out of ya with it. .but that's about it. . it's not like taking on a Gator, who can literally beat the snot out of ya with the tail

No, not really, I know I'm larger than the dog, and can usually use that fact to get them to back down.[/quote]

ROFL, like I said, you obviously have never done so. . .if it was so easy to get a dog to back down, we wouldn't be having people killed/mauled by Rotties & Pitts, who are 100-120 lbs.

Comments like above show very little appreciation of the world of Nature. .as well as very little knowledge. . .
Lt Com Kyr

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Agien mielikkishunt, why do you hate uber wolves. Why do you hate werewolves that are muscular, dont give me that lousy reason where you say that it isnt natural or you dont like it cause its not scientificly possible.
Last edited by Shadow Wulf on Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

mielikkishunt wrote:
Lupin wrote: So they weigh about the same as a human, but they're also 7-8 foot long, which doesn't really make them 'smaller,.'
Only if you include their tail, which has no benefit in a fight. .. well, they could beat the snot out of ya with it. .but that's about it. . it's not like taking on a Gator, who can literally beat the snot out of ya with the tail
No not really, ever see a cat stand on two legs? If it were to stand on its hind legs it would be even taller than if you measured it with the tail. So yes it is bigger.

ROFL, like I said, you obviously have never done so. . .if it was so easy to get a dog to back down, we wouldn't be having people killed/mauled by Rotties & Pitts, who are 100-120 lbs.
No, it actually happened. Obviously a lot of it depends on the personality of the dog and the circumstances surrounding the encounter.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Agien mielikkishunt, why do you hate uber wolves .
Because, thanks to their invincibility, everything they do is both dramatic, yet boring, and when they go stalk their victims, one is possessed with a desire to scream out "Kill them and get it overwith, already!"?
-Calculon