overall werewolf abilities

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

We grow, but we don't shift. Caterpillars shift into butterflies. Maggots shift into flies and buggies and things. But we just grow. Age. That's a natural life process. And (JMO!) if werewolves didn't have some supernatural aide and shifting did take years...I couldn't call that being a werewolf. A werewolf transforms either every full moon or when he likes, but if it took years to change from one form to another, I'd not bother. We may live 80-100 years, but...that's not long. I'd become far too impatient.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

This is really long. I apologize.
mielikkishunt wrote:
Excelsia wrote:Speed (for bipedal creatures) is almost all in the legs. Give a werewolf long legs during the TF, and he'll be really fast. The excess muscle wouldn't affect them all that much, in terms of aerodynamics, though I concede it would have a slight effect.

Anyway, let's worry a bit more about what looks good than about what would be accurate, shall we?
Nope, because I create weres that are believable, and superwere's get on my nerves. And I know it gets on a lot of people here's nerves

Anyway, you're wrong about muscles not affecting aeroydynamis(and thus speed) take a look at the 'fastest' atheletes alive. . look at the fast track stars. .they are not ripped like body builders. That much bulk is going to be too dang heavy to move around, that's why even for their size, the Borzoi is very light weight. My 100lb male can not keep up with his 70-80 lb uncles, and they definitely can't keep up with the bitches.
excelerate faster, turn easier, and decelerate faster. . You go more bulk(Irish Wolfhound), and they are SLOW. It's just like comparing a HumV(Your version) to a sportscar(My version)

My were's are no more muscular than their humanoid form, but since their humanoid form is stronger than humans(they're not human!) that accounts for it. They're not faster in that form, but they sure are more dangerous with the teeth and fangs!

Your comment about muscle mass is true, added muscle mass would affect speed. However, if these werewolve's legs get longer, it should make up for that slight loss and then some. I don't want werewolves to be so bulky they can't move. I want to clarify that. But, one can still add a lot of muscle and still have a full range of motion, that's what I want to go for. Also, my idea of a werewolf isn't really a 'superwere'. It's just stronger and faster than humans. Gorillas are stronger than humans, and cheetahs are faster (and there are many animals that are both stronger and faster) but that doesn't make them super. It just makes them better than humans. Pretty much every theory about what werewolves would be like can be somewhat backed up scientifically, so there's really not much reason to argue about science, when real werewolves don't exist at all. Obviously, we don't want to go with something totally off the wall, like giving them the ability to levitate, but as long as it's reasonably plausible I say we go for it.

NarnianWolfen wrote:
I've always thought of werewolves as being big, testoserone filled creatures, when in non-human forms. I've always sorta believed that the transformation would unleash the testosterone hormones in their brain, raising their muslce mass, and making them faster (by lengthening their legs).
Except that as a general rule (as I understand anatomy) it's the woman's legs that are stronger in proportion to the rest of their body. Men got the powerful upper body, the arms. Get a woman and a man in great condition and it's the woman that's usually swifter on their feet, unless the man's some lightning-reflex martial artist. But that's what we have these awesome thighs and mile-long legs for. Woman are the leggy gender.

Then why do all the world records for running or sprinting go to men? True, women have awesome legs, but men are still faster.
outwarddoodles wrote:Excelsia;
No, so far we've have had no humans change into wolves, but shape shifting is true, we're all doing it. As I said, if a person were to change into a wolf, it would take a VERY LOOOOOOONG time, the only reason they would gain muscles is if they exercised around that time. Our mythical werewolf shouldn't etheir. I think a true werewolf, would take years to shift, and would have no gestalt, so in wolf form they would be a wolf, just a wolf, no 'uber wolf', exactly just a wolf. Infact, we're already pushing it by adding the gestalt form to a 'realistic werewolf'. I still don't see why the werewolf gains muscle mass, I'm just clueless there.

Yet imagine, everytime they'd keep getting bigger and bigger everyshift, the growing will never stop! That, or they'll keep getting fatter and fatter in human form if the muscle was turned into fat, which would then be turned into energy, usefull for the shifting process.

If you want to go literal here, yeah we are shape shifters, because our shape is shifting. But we are not shapeshifters in the mythological sense. We do not gain or lose additional structures that were or were not there before. Every part that is on your body as a baby is there when you are older, only it's bigger or more developed. A small human can grow into a large human, but does that make us shapeshifters in the mythological sense? Not really. I've provided reasons as to why a werewolf could potentially gain muscle mass during the shift, and it's a reasonable reason (lol), at least, just as reasonable as the idea of a werewolf in the first place.

Your last paragraph intrigues me. As many of you know, the destruction of matter releases energy. Perhaps the breakdown of the additional muscles gained in changing from gestalt back to human could lead to some very cool things. Some energy could remain in the body to make the human more energetic, more able to function after the pain of the shift. But some of it, could maybe be given off. Maybe the lights in the room get really bright when a gestalt is shifting back to human. :lol: . I'm not supporting this theory, it's just a fun (and somewhat plausible) idea.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

NarnianWolfen wrote:We grow, but we don't shift. Caterpillars shift into butterflies. Maggots shift into flies and buggies and things. But we just grow. Age. That's a natural life process. And (JMO!) if werewolves didn't have some supernatural aide and shifting did take years...I couldn't call that being a werewolf. A werewolf transforms either every full moon or when he likes, but if it took years to change from one form to another, I'd not bother. We may live 80-100 years, but...that's not long. I'd become far too impatient.

I concur with everything except the supernatural part. Could you please clarify exactly what you mean by supernatural? There are many different ways that can be interpreted, I want to be sure I know what you mean.
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

By supernatural, I mean in a completely fictional sense. The kind of magic and life force that just does not exist in real life. Seriously, if anyone had read the Anita Blake books and could explain it better, it'd make my life easier. I can only say a sort of energy that NO such thing exists in real life. But I like my werewolves with a little spice of fiction. Gives them that mythological old-school legend flare.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Your comment about muscle mass is true, added muscle mass would affect speed. However, if these werewolve's legs get longer, it should make up for that slight loss and then some.
It's more than leg length that makes an animal fast. Greyhounds don't have the longest legs in canine world, they are built for speed, just like cheetahs, wolves are not built for extreme speed. One of the things both Greyhounds(any sighthound) and Cheetahs have in common are big butt muscles and nice rubber band flexible spines

If legs were what made one fast, the Giraffe would do more than 30 mph on average.
But, one can still add a lot of muscle and still have a full range of motion, that's what I want to go for.
And I'm telling you no you can't. You'd have to go out and watch a large number of canines run to be able to understand this, but biologically not possible. I've got the perfect example in my own yard with two different litter brothers. Eros is about 2 inches taller than his brother Oberon, he's broader, heavier boned and bodied, and Obie has out ran, out turned him, out excelerated him. Big muscles do not equate high speed.

The fastest Greyhound in the last 5 yrs is an itty bitty little b**** of 50 lbs and about 25 inches tall

Obviously, we don't want to go with something totally off the wall, like giving them the ability to levitate, but as long as it's reasonably plausible I say we go for it.
super fast,(Unless you're a wereborzoi or weregreyhound) and almost impossible to kill is off the wall IMHO.
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Anubis wrote:this what I think what a werewolf can and can't do.

werewolves are strong enouf to rip car door off its hinges but not strong enouf to left the car its self over its head.

a werewolf's top speed is about 45 MPH when on all fours when on two legs top speed is 20 MPH.

werewolves are adgile enouf to make a cat jelous

extermly quick reaflexes

werewolves can't crawl wall like spiderman and the werewolf on van helsing. but they can climb walls by sticking thier claws into the brick and move up like on a latter.

they have super sonic hearing, acute sence of smell, see colors as well as a human has night vision.
I have to disagree with you on that speed thing and some other thing as well..let me explain....20mph on two feet is ridiculously slow and 45 mph on two feet is....well it's waty to slow, I mean look at a cheetah, it can reach speeds of 70mph and it's not a Were anything. Even a real wolf can run faster then that!! So I think the speed should pick up alot more than that personally. But everything else would fit pretty well :D
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Sabre, 20 mph is about the speed of the fastest Olympic sprinters. Humans are slow. It's a fact of nature. Wolves run about 40 mph if I remember right but they're built for quadruped locomotion, not bipedal. Bipeds are always slower than quadrupeds.
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

Wolves also have that wolf trot...trot and trot and trot for great lengths of time. Wish I had that stamina, maybe being on my feet at work for six hours wouldn't hurt so much. x.x
~Kate

Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

mielikkishunt wrote:
One of the things both Greyhounds(any sighthound) and Cheetahs have in common are big butt muscles and nice rubber band flexible spines.

Big muscles do not equate high speed.

So, in that case, the werewolves can have big butt muscles and flexible spines. I'm cool with that. If that's what it takes to make them fast, by all means let's do that. And the longer legs will only help more.

I've seen muscly people that were fast. Not as fast as your average olympic sprinter by any means, but definitely very very fast. If we give the gestalt werewolf form every advantage in terms of speed, then we can afford to put some muscle on and still maintain the quickness. Granted, a less muscly werewolf would be faster, but a muscly werewolf could still be very fast. Humans are slow creatures, the modified legs of a werewolf I think could easily put them over humans in terms of speed, if done correctly. So, that is my rationale as to why a muscly werewolf could still be faster than humans. The improved legs will compensate for the added bulk.

Remember, these aren't greyhounds. I recognize the fact that you're kind of an expert in that area, but this is kinda different. Bipedalism kinda changes stuff a lot.

As for the comment about leg length not playing that big a factor, I was referring to humanoid creatures (which is what the gestalt form of the werewolf would be). I can outrun almost all of my shorter friends. Most people that are taller than me can outrun me. So, for a gestalt, the added leg length would most definitely help a lot.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

A werewolf can still be quite built and still be very fast, its just that it cant all be upper body building kinda look. If every muscle of the body were to equate to make the werewolf all around kinda muscle, then the muscles shouldnt effect the speed but a whole lot. there have been several cases that I witness where A very built weght lifter (one who happens to be a cop) that outrun just about every track runner in my school, and hes very built, not like arnold swarzenager type but very built. If it was all upper body mass only then yeah there will be a tremendous slow down but umbelievable amount of power. Its like in boxing....if your fast on your feet and quick with your punches, then yeah your outmenuver the guy and he'll have trouble getting a hit on you. But that doesnt mean youll nesecary mean youll win sence the guy is so slow. He can be quicker than he wants to show and give you a big suprise when you atleast expect it and it would only take one punch to take you down so when it really comes down to which type of werewolf win.....speed and agility, or brute force, it all depends on strategy. Your disadvantage can become an advantage and your advantage can become a disadvantage

Ex. you may be quick and agile but wont throw as hard punches to take down the guy, the heavy built guy can knock you out in one punch but hell have some trouble hitting the person hard enough sence he keeps moving around.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Excelsia wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:
One of the things both Greyhounds(any sighthound) and Cheetahs have in common are big butt muscles and nice rubber band flexible spines.

So, in that case, the werewolves can have big butt muscles and flexible spines. I'm cool with that. If that's what it takes to make them fast, by all means let's do that. And the longer legs will only help more.
NO they can't, they do not have the build for it. You're just not getting it. Go to a dog show, set a Malamute up next to a Greyhound, put your hands on them, you can feel the difference in bodytype. The breadth of chest is a hinderence in running, wind resistance(to quote a famous Scotsman "Ye kinna change the laws of physics!), the huge muscles you're wanting would do the same. The flexible spine is not going to be utilized in the gestalt form, it is an important part of a quadraped. It has nothing to do with how a humanoid form runs.
I've seen muscly people that were fast. Not as fast as your average olympic sprinter by any means, but definitely very very fast.
How do you know they were fast? What basis gives you that? Did you clock them?

So, that is my rationale as to why a muscly werewolf could still be faster than humans. The improved legs will compensate for the added bulk.
No doubt they are, but they're not going to be able to get up to the rediculous speeds that were mentioned.
Remember, these aren't greyhounds. I recognize the fact that you're kind of an expert in that area, but this is kinda different.
Nobody said they were the same. But if you want speed, you need to study the two speed demons of the carnivore world: Cheetahs & Greyhounds(Which are strangely enough despite being Cat & Dog, a lot a like in structure) to understand why a wolf form, and a humanoid form, are incapable of reaching the speeds these two animals get to.

My comments were directed towards this <,a werewolf's top speed is about 45 MPH when on all fours when on two legs top speed is 20 MPH. >>

I can outrun almost all of my shorter friends. Most people that are taller than me can outrun me. quote]

In actuality, I don't think it's so much speed as it is stride length. You have a longer stride, so can easily outdistance someone who is shorter. who can run just as fast as you can.
Lt Com Kyr

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

bacteria in a 45

Post by Scott Gardener »

Doing 45 in a school zone:

45 mph is according to some sites the top speed of an actual wolf. (Other sites put it around 35, which I suspect is more usual.) The grayhound mentioned earlier was bred specifically for speed, but wolves are large and have good strides, and humans converted to wolf form with the same mass would be even larger. (If you toss out the first law of thermodynamics and have werewolves that get larger, then yours are even larger still.) So, 45 is a plausible top speed. Sustained speeds of 30 or more could be done with good physical conditioning. (That's still only a tropical depression.)

What if it's bacteria? (mentioned a few pages back):

Doesn't really change much, because the neccessary principles of genetics are the same. It would have to be an intracellular parasite, or at least capable of injecting large portions of itself. It would behave like a virus, without being technically a virus, which we've already generally assumed of the lycanthrope "virus" anyway.

Bacteria, unlike viruses, have their own internal physiology. But, that takes additional energy and work. It might not be the most practical solution. Then again, it might very well be neccessary in order to support all the genetic information being housed, as lycanthropy is genetically a bit more involved than, say, a cold.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

mielikkishunt wrote:
Excelsia wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:

NO they can't, they do not have the build for it. You're just not getting it. Go to a dog show, set a Malamute up next to a Greyhound, put your hands on them, you can feel the difference in bodytype. The breadth of chest is a hinderence in running, wind resistance(to quote a famous Scotsman "Ye kinna change the laws of physics!), the huge muscles you're wanting would do the same. The flexible spine is not going to be utilized in the gestalt form, it is an important part of a quadraped. It has nothing to do with how a humanoid form runs.
Honestly, I don't really care what we do to them. My point is, it is possible to make a bipedal creature muscly and fast, if you do it right.

mielikkishunt wrote:
I've seen muscly people that were fast. Not as fast as your average olympic sprinter by any means, but definitely very very fast.
How do you know they were fast? What basis gives you that? Did you clock them?
Everyone else was behind them. True, it's not a completely accurate measurement, but it definitely counts for something.

mielikkishunt wrote:
So, that is my rationale as to why a muscly werewolf could still be faster than humans. The improved legs will compensate for the added bulk.
No doubt they are, but they're not going to be able to get up to the rediculous speeds that were mentioned.
I didn't mention ridiculous speeds. I don't expect them to be as fast as a cheetah or greyhound in gestalt form, just faster than a human.
mielikkishunt wrote:
Remember, these aren't greyhounds. I recognize the fact that you're kind of an expert in that area, but this is kinda different.

Nobody said they were the same. But if you want speed, you need to study the two speed demons of the carnivore world: Cheetahs & Greyhounds(Which are strangely enough despite being Cat & Dog, a lot a like in structure) to understand why a wolf form, and a humanoid form, are incapable of reaching the speeds these two animals get to.

My comments were directed towards this <,a werewolf's top speed is about 45 MPH when on all fours when on two legs top speed is 20 MPH. >>

I can outrun almost all of my shorter friends. Most people that are taller than me can outrun me. quote]

In actuality, I don't think it's so much speed as it is stride length. You have a longer stride, so can easily outdistance someone who is shorter. who can run just as fast as you can.

Well, being able to outdistance someone because of stride length sure counts for something in my book. Whether or not it's technically 'speed' or not, doesn't change the fact that the one with longer stride length is gonna win.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Re: bacteria in a 45

Post by mielikkishunt »

ARGH, people are ignoring simple physics. LOL
Scott Gardener wrote:Doing 45 in a school zone:

(If you toss out the first law of thermodynamics and have werewolves that get larger, then yours are even larger still.) So, 45 is a plausible top speed. Sustained speeds of 30 or more could be done with good physical conditioning. (That's still only a tropical depression.)
The heavier the canine is, the less likely it is to get up to that speed. The greyhounds who can get that speed are not gargantuan. They are about half the weight of a full grown normal wolf. Ya'll are missing that I have experience with the difference in sizes and speed. I race my dogs. I KNOW what is possible, and what isn't.

Honestly, I don't really care what we do to them. My point is, it is possible to make a bipedal creature muscly and fast, if you do it right.

The only bipedal form I can think of that can sustain high speeds, is an Ostrich. .and I don't think we want a Were looking like an ostrich.
Everyone else was behind them. True, it's not a completely accurate measurement, but it definitely counts for something.
Sorry, but no it doesn't. It's a guess that they were fast, without actual scientific data, all you're doing is guessing. FOr all you know, everyone else was slower than molasses in the middle of winter.

Well, being able to outdistance someone because of stride length sure counts for something in my book. Whether or not it's technically 'speed' or not, doesn't change the fact that the one with longer stride length is gonna win.
But it's not SPEED, which is what you said.
Lt Com Kyr

Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Bicker bicker bicker, that's all we seem to do nowadays here.
While we're on the topic of speed, I'll put my own two cents in...
Wolves are fast runners, but from what I've seen of them, they aren't built for speed, like their descendants the greyhounds, or their distant relatives the cheetahs, wolves are built for endurance running. That's one of the ways wolves catch prey, after all... A pack of wolves rarely outrun prey such as deer, rather, they chase after their quarry until it's too tired to run anymore.
As such, I would think that a werewolf in gestalt form would be able to outrun the average human, what with having longer hindlegs, after all, but, would be unable to outrun animals such as greyhounds, cheetahs, or the occassional olympic sprinter.
That being said, while I agree with the idea that pitting the average werewolf against the average human is a one-sided battle, I would think that it is possible for a human to defeat a werewolf in gestalt form, with a lot of luck.
It may be me, but the idea that all werewolves (in gestalt form) are wholely invincible is terribly boring. If an average werewolf could kill even prize-winning kickboxers with no trouble, then the story boils down to one of those "let's see how many different ways I can dismember you" stories, and I find that sort of story to be almost as boring as watching rust forming underneath paint.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

so basicaly your saying the smaller you are the faster you are. like everything else, theres an exemption. I dont know if anyone read my post but I said that if the muscles of the body is all pretty overal rounded even amount then they should be pretty damn fast, if the upper body muscles doesnt weighs alot more than the tigh and legs then they should be able to go pretty fast cause the weight of the upper body wont slow it down. you can be muscular and still go pretty fast as long as your legs and tighs can handle the weight and have enough mobility, if the werewolf is REALLY RIPPED in the upper body like this for example. http://www.blizzard-art.com/img/cai/Werewolf.jpg then yeah he wont be very fast as other skinnier and yet very fit werewolves can. IMO As long as the legs are strong enough and long enough to support the upper body, then they should be as fast most other werewolfs that are skinnier. the only thing is that they wont be as agile. A built werewolf can match the speed of a skinnier one if given time, like say if its in a quater mile race then the skinny werewolf would take off faster, but in the long run the built one will be able to catch up. when taking sharp turns the skinnier werewolf will be able to do this quickly sence he weighs less, and the built one will do more wider turns or hell have to slow down to take the quick one.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

an average human probably has a 10% chance of winning agients an average werewolf in a hand to paw combat.
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadow Wulf wrote:so basicaly your saying the smaller you are the faster you are.
Who said that?
I didn't say that.
Ostriches are bigger than rheas, but they're still faster.
Shadow Wulf wrote:an average human probably has a 10% chance of winning agients an average werewolf in a hand to paw combat.
A slim chance, yes...
But that makes things all the more interesting, after all.
Pitting a bongo antelope against a tiger would make for an interesting spectacle, given as how, sure the tiger is big, strong and has sharp sharp claws, the bongo still has sharp hooves and horns, provided the WWF, PETA or the SPCA don't find out.On the other hand, pitting a goat with a broken leg against a tiger would be extremely boring as it's over even before it begins.
My opinion of this extends to humans versus werewolves, also.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:so basicaly your saying the smaller you are the faster you are.
Who said that?
I didn't say that.
Ostriches are bigger than rheas, but they're still faster.
oh no I was reffering to mielikkishunt post.
Image Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

On leg length and speed:
Long legs does not mean speed. You see this often in racehorses. (My area of expertise is horses, while mielikkishunt's is dogs. You're not gonna win this debate.) Seabiscuit was a good example. "My horse is too small, the jockey's too big, the trainer's too old, and I'm too dumb to know the difference!"

Thoroughbreds are alot bigger and have longer legs than the quarter horse. But the little quarter is still gonna win the race. That's how they got their name in the first place, quarter horses are the fastest horse within a quarter mile. They're not as tall as the big ol' thoroughbreds but they're speedy little buggers. I should know, I've owned both.

Small vs large werewolves:
I think people underestimate small creatures. (And you can take the word small to mean both short and non-musclebound, since this applies to both.) The shrew is tiny, but no animal will mess with it because it's so fierce. You can see something similar to this in badgers and wolverines. As for someone very strong who doesn't have much in the way of visible muscle, you're staring at her. I've said I'm stronger than pretty much everyone I know. It's true. The fact I don't look it could be a great advantage in a fight. If someone doesn't think you'd be tough or strong they won't be prepared if you are.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Reilune wrote:Sabre, 20 mph is about the speed of the fastest Olympic sprinters. Humans are slow. It's a fact of nature. Wolves run about 40 mph if I remember right but they're built for quadruped locomotion, not bipedal. Bipeds are always slower than quadrupeds.
I still think that's to slow even for a werewolf, it just doesn't seem right to me..... :roll:
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Let me put it this way then: I don't want werewolves to run like they're cheetahs. And besides the average housecat runs 30 mph and that's plenty fast enough for them, I think that would be a decent speed for a gestalt werewolf. Faster than a human but not rediculously so.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Re: bacteria in a 45

Scott Gardener wrote:Doing 45 in a school zone:

45 mph is according to some sites the top speed of an actual wolf. (Other sites put it around 35, which I suspect is more usual.) The grayhound mentioned earlier was bred specifically for speed, but wolves are large and have good strides, and humans converted to wolf form with the same mass would be even larger. (If you toss out the first law of thermodynamics and have werewolves that get larger, then yours are even larger still.) So, 45 is a plausible top speed. Sustained speeds of 30 or more could be done with good physical conditioning. (That's still only a tropical depression.)

What if it's bacteria? (mentioned a few pages back):

Doesn't really change much, because the neccessary principles of genetics are the same. It would have to be an intracellular parasite, or at least capable of injecting large portions of itself. It would behave like a virus, without being technically a virus, which we've already generally assumed of the lycanthrope "virus" anyway.

Bacteria, unlike viruses, have their own internal physiology. But, that takes additional energy and work. It might not be the most practical solution. Then again, it might very well be neccessary in order to support all the genetic information being housed, as lycanthropy is genetically a bit more involved than, say, a cold.
If real wolves do actually run just 45mph then a werewolf with the speed of the wolf and the human should easily outrun a regular wolf if you want to try to equally measure wolves speed, but hey again that's just me..... :roll:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

have you noticed that small things have to look mean in and act tuff in order to gain respect, I see this in the human race alot where some short kids are real jerks and act they can beat anyone up, I hate that.

but anyway to the subject. When not faced in person, yes things are underestimated. Alot of people dont think a tazmania is really scary, but I bet you if they were to come across a wild one then they will freak out.

you dont have to be strong in the first place to win a fight, you just gotta know how to fight, Im kinda weak, but I can sustain pretty good amount of hits and I can think quicker in a fight than most people, plus I react to things quickly so when you throw a punch Ill automaticaly step back on reaction in order to have less damage absorbed. A skinny werewolf can beat a strong one, Im not saying that it cant, in fact I dont know how you got into this subject sense I thought we were talking about speed. but a muscules definately show strength, ask any weight lifter. You try to go up agient an arnold swarzenager kind of guy in a fist fight, sense he lift heavy weights and stronger muscles....hes blows will have alot more pressure agienst your body than you would agients him, plus sense the muscles are harden, it almost acts as armor when comes to absorbing punches, if your abs arent harden then if you get punched in the stomach youll lose more air and likely to be knocked out than a built person with muscles and built abs.
Image Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

but a muscules definately show strength, ask any weight lifter.
Ha...hahahahaha... You've obviously never been to a weight lifting competition. Most of the strongest competitors are chubby farm boys, not Ahnold clones.
plus sense the muscles are harden, it almost acts as armor when comes to absorbing punches, if your abs arent harden then if you get punched in the stomach youll lose more air and likely to be knocked out than a built person with muscles and built abs.
Uh, no. Just no. You actually take MORE damage if your muscles are tensed and "hardened". It's the same thing as laying on a bed of nails or across swords, if you're tense and stiff as a board you're gonna bleed but if you're relaxed and your body has give then you can have someone break a brick with a sledge hammer on you and not be hurt at all.