overall werewolf abilities

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

overall werewolf abilities

Post by Renorei »

I know that there are already threads for strength and speed, but I wanted to share my thoughts in one thread. After other people have replied, this thread can be deleted, if the mods feel it would be necessary.

There has been much discussion of how strong a werewolf should be. The conclusion that I have come too, is that all werewolves should be stronger than all humans. i.e. the weak, pathetic, wormy lilttle guy turns into a gestalt and is stronger than the winner of the strong man competition. But he's still weak compared to other gestalts. He doesn't have to be bulging with muscles (though I admit I would prefer it), but there should still be enough muscles to look pretty intimidating.

Speed. Same basic principle. The slowest werewolf should be faster than the fastest human. Maybe even a helluva lot faster. Slow humans would become slow gestalts, but they would still be faster than all humans, but slow compared to other werewolves.

These thoughts exclude werewolves with disabilities and all that. Obviously, a double above the knee amputee isn't gonna move very fast, even in gestalt form, unless for some odd reason the TF caused the limbs to grow back.

This thread contains my thoughts about the Freeborn werewolves, but applies also to werewolves in general. I am content to wait and see what Tim Albee comes up with, but I enourage others to respond to this thread. I want to know what the rest of you think.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I just want a WereWolf that is built like a the hulk or tank as some may say because I agree with Excelsia on the muscle thing :D Be way more stronger then their human counterpart and much faster indeed!! I also think that the WereWolf should be able to heal in minutes from wounds, depending on how large or deep the wound is. That's all I got for now, but more later :D
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Sabre, your avatar reminds me of a badger. It's probably supposed to be a wolf but it doesn't look like it to me.

People need to be careful with their werewolf designs. Go overboard with certain things and it doesn't look like a wolf anymore. Cursed was more like a really furry bear, in Underworld the Lycans were more like aliens, An American Werewolf In Paris was a deformed monkey-lion, Darkwolf the video game escapee, and the Harry Potter wolf was a hairless rat thing. (Though that last one was intentional, and worked for Lupin's part.)

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I hate the muscle-y bodybuilder look. It's just not natural. I don't find it at all realistic, either, that some scrawny little dude would end up with a six pack and the ability to lift a car. Even with magical fantasy werewolves the idea doesn't sit well with me.

Regrowing limbs is a reptile and starfish thing. It's just weird on a werewolf. I could see healing minor wounds (read minor as cuts and scrapes) within a few minutes but anything like pushing bullets out of the skin or repairing a broken bone, especially within a few seconds, is rediculous.
Last edited by Set on Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

I see lanky werewolves and werewolves with some visible muscle. I see their strength as supernatural; aided by whatever magic or phenomena that transforms them to make them strong. I see them all as STRONG; capable of crushing bone, lifting cars, etc. But they'd need help to balance it. They can't just haul it up over their head. A car's an awkward machine.
Speed? Faster than the human eye can see. Again that supernatural stuff.
Healing? Minutes for most wounds, unless it's silver-induced, which takes almost human speed to heal. It'd taken severing the spine, taking the heart, or losing the head to actually die, or getting shot up with silver bullets. Otherwise they could heal any wound. EDIT: The more severe the wound, even not silver-induced, the longer it takes to heal. Broken bones might take a day or two, and it'd of course be badly painful. Same with damaged organs. I see normal bullets as passing through them like water. I see them as totally immune from /all/ diseases, except for the lycanthropy which controls them.
I see their supernatural power as strengthened in degrees. Like an alpha has more of that 'inner' power than a lower pack member, which allows them to develop pack ties and maintain ranks. Like an alpha male has more self-control, and lower pack members can't control their blood lust so much and must be controled by their leader, otherwise they might go rogue and go, you know, kill and eat people. So you've got your civilized werewolves and your violent, blood-thirsty monsters. And they're all superior to Man.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

That's wishing for a bit much, at least to me. Why would a werewolf be immune to all known diseases? That doesn't make any sense to me. Werewolves are man and wolf not man and shark. The shark is the only animal that never gets sick.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Reilune wrote: People need to be careful with their werewolf designs. Go overboard with certain things and it doesn't look like a wolf anymore. Cursed was more like a really furry bear, in Underworld the Lycans were more like aliens, An American Werewolf In Paris was a deformed monkey-lion, Darkwolf the video game escapee, and the Harry Potter wolf was a hairless rat thing. (Though that last one was intentional, and worked for Lupin's part.)

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I hate the muscle-y bodybuilder look. It's just not natural. I don't find it at all realistic, either, that some scrawny little dude would end up with a six pack and the ability to lift a car. Even with magical fantasy werewolves the idea doesn't sit well with me.

Regrowing limbs is a reptile and starfish thing. It's just weird on a werewolf. I could see healing minor wounds (read minor as cuts and scrapes) within a few minutes but anything like pushing bullets out of the skin or repairing a broken bone, especially within a few seconds, is rediculous.

What, might I ask, would you have them look like? Could you put a link to artwork that shows what you are referring to?

As for me, I like a range of werewolves, in terms of muslces. Anything from the amount of muscles in Goldenwolf's art, to completely and totally ripped. Anywhere in that area and I'm happy. :D

I agree with you on the regrowing limbs thing. I only included that in my first post as a possibility, but I'm not in favor of it.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Reilune wrote:That's wishing for a bit much, at least to me. Why would a werewolf be immune to all known diseases? That doesn't make any sense to me. Werewolves are man and wolf not man and shark. The shark is the only animal that never gets sick.

I agree. They shouldn't be immune to all diseases.

Although....:
-they should have a stronger resistance to disease
-the symptoms should be lessened
-they should recuperate faster

Those are my thoughts about disease.

I wouldn't be opposed, however, to cancelling out some diseases. For example, there are some diseases that humans get but wolves don't get. I wouldn't mind at all if werewolves were given an immunity to those diseases. I feel the same way about diseases that wolves get but humans don't get. If werewolves are given immunity to such diseases, that would make me happy, but I'll still be ok with it even if they don't. If they don't get immunity from these diseases, they should recuperate from them even faster than normal.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

I wouldn't think Regeneration that high would be too good, I'd be more than suspicious if I saw someone break a leg and a day later they were fine. Not to mention that they would have bullets stuck inside them if they were shot which could make things very difficult. Screw silver...... I'm gonna use bullets made of pure lead if they heal wounds that fast, they would die of lead poisoning and be helpless to get all those bullets out.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Strength, I think a Werewolf should be much stronger in Gestalt that their human, but I find the "Weakest Werewolf will be stronger than the strongest human" thing ridiculous. I can't see some scrawny bastard (like myself!) turning into a Gestalt and putting down the strongest human with ease. That just thats realism and kicks it in the face.

Same for speed. I can see Weres as speedy, but not weakest, slowest Werewolf ever is going to beat the guy who wins gold medals in the omlypics for running simply because he was in Gestalt.

Healing, I see as faster, and better than a human. But not "I got shot two minutes ago but the wounds gone now". I can see something like that taking a day or two to heal. Or something that would put a normal human down for a month or so only keep the Were down for two weeks or so. If that much.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

What do I want werewolves to look like? Like they did as a human.

Fat dude = fat gestalt
Scrawny twig person = twiggy gestalt
Bodybuilder = Govinator wolf

If you're talking magic werewolves, I'd be a little more open to more muscles even on a twiggy dude. But there's a point where it stops looking like a werewolf and starts looking like a troll.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

I agree, some humans are skilled beyond belief and someone skilled in Close Quarter Combat could take one down easily, I just hope you won't have limbs regenerating, that's just ridiculous.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Werewolfs should be immune to about 85% to 90% of all disease. I havent got sick for 4 and half years until this year I had a slight fever, but I still went to school and I got better in 2 days flat.
The only type of disease a werewolf shouldnt be immune to is like anthrax probably, most man made viruses.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I think the werewolf's strength in gestalt is determined by his strength and health in human, as easy as that! Whether or not he be stronger depends; if te werewolf has a more barrel like chest, then the upper arm strength will be less by the way the arms would connect to the body. With a more human like torso the werewolf would have better strength there, though I don't agree they sohould be any much stronger.

Faster; yes. With a longer stride length while on all fours, I would say that yes the werewolf would run faster. On two legs while the werewolf is running on their toes the feet my act like springs and beable to shoot them ahead, but I think they would be fastest on all fours.

Immunity? I don't see how that would connect with what the virus does at all or how being able to heal themselves faster would make their immunity better. I think with some nice romp in the woods the werewolf may get more exercise though and be a tad healtheir, but not at all so much.

When it comes to healing its self I think the werewolf would have a speeded healing and regeneration during the shift, and posibly a little whiler before or after, yet not all the time. The body would though be capable of speeded recovery, so if the body is hurt the werewolf may be able to heal faster, little wounds may be closed up quickly but all and all the body isn't in dire need to heal that wound super quick, just make sure it doesn't get infected. Otherwise shifting with a big wound may prove fatal. (*Has image of werewolf shifting with an open gash in his side and guts falling out.*)
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

It does seem as if we overlooked infection, you have a good thought there; if the Werewolf's wound closed so fast they wouldn't have any time to disinfect it result in disease and sometimes death.
Shadow Wulf wrote:The only type of disease a werewolf shouldnt be immune to is like anthrax probably, most man made viruses.
Actually, Anthrax can be naturally occuring.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Outwarddoodle version of a werewolf is a gastalt with no powers whats so ever,

*TF into gastal* Ahhhh I have the power!!!! *I guy just walks by and push the gastalt down and tells him to shut up* :lol:

If a how does the disease have anything to do with shifting in the first place..... It could be just a disease that makes a person who thinks hes a wolf and just goes off hurting people and have extra strength than his average self. This actually happened so Outwarddoodle, what does lycanthropy have anything to do with shifting in the first place its impossible to even do such a thing so why not even have alot better immune system.
EDIT: it could say a man who thinks like a wolf which makes him half man half animal, do you think the old drawings of a werewolf from greeks time is an actualy physical portriat of a werewolf looks, or is it how they portray it from the inside.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

this what I think what a werewolf can and can't do.

werewolves are strong enouf to rip car door off its hinges but not strong enouf to left the car its self over its head.

a werewolf's top speed is about 45 MPH when on all fours when on two legs top speed is 20 MPH.

werewolves are adgile enouf to make a cat jelous

extermly quick reaflexes

werewolves can't crawl wall like spiderman and the werewolf on van helsing. but they can climb walls by sticking thier claws into the brick and move up like on a latter.

they have super sonic hearing, acute sence of smell, see colors as well as a human has night vision.
THE GAME

My Armory
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Anubis wrote:
a werewolf's top speed is about 45 MPH when on all fours when on two legs top speed is 20 MPH.

Have you actually clocked a werewolf?

I have. :wolfclock:

Ha Ha!! PUNS!!! I love it!!! :jester2:
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i can't say it enouf we need an annoyed wolf emoticon!!

add- werewolves have three forms human, gestalt, wolf

they are in full conterol as i same person in human same person with gestalt and full wolf
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Outwarddoodle version of a werewolf is a gastalt with no powers whats so ever,

*TF into gastal* Ahhhh I have the power!!!! *I guy just walks by and push the gastalt down and tells him to shut up* :lol:
LOL! Though if wreewolves were to be real they would be even lamer than how I imagine it. Imagine how long it would take a very realistic werewolf to shift.

If turning into a werewolf was real, it would probally take a really loooong time to shift. (I'm not talking about minutes, nor hours, but years!)

Shadow also wrote:
If a how does the disease have anything to do with shifting in the first place..... It could be just a disease that makes a person who thinks hes a wolf and just goes off hurting people and have extra strength than his average self. This actually happened so Outwarddoodle, what does lycanthropy have anything to do with shifting in the first place its impossible to even do such a thing so why not even have alot better immune system.
EDIT: it could say a man who thinks like a wolf which makes him half man half animal, do you think the old drawings of a werewolf from greeks time is an actualy physical portriat of a werewolf looks, or is it how they portray it from the inside
I wasn't talking about the deseise (god, how do you spell that?), but illnesses all togther. I don't know how having a better immunity system would be connected to the virus, healing, or shifting at all.
It does seem as if we overlooked infection, you have a good thought there; if the Werewolf's wound closed so fast they wouldn't have any time to disinfect it result in disease and sometimes death.
I think its a different way around, the body needs to close a wound quick before its infected. I think a werewolf would have good healing during a shift and at times where it is needed such as if they get a really big Boo boo.

Otherwise on my vison of the wolf shifting and his guts falling out, I did start a thread that was mostly ignored on whether or not old age, illness, or injury could at all stop shifting. I just think the shift would slow down untill the body is uncapable of shifting, whcih means they better hope they don't get stuck in a different form.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

outwarddoodles wrote:I think its a different way around, the body needs to close a wound quick before its infected. I think a werewolf would have good healing during a shift and at times where it is needed such as if they get a really big Boo boo.
Yeah, usually you want the wound to close up sooner rather than later to make sure that less bacteria get in.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote:I think its a different way around, the body needs to close a wound quick before its infected. I think a werewolf would have good healing during a shift and at times where it is needed such as if they get a really big Boo boo.
Yeah, usually you want the wound to close up sooner rather than later to make sure that less bacteria get in.

wouldn't it be wild if it was a bacteria that causes Lycanthropy instead of a virus? Gee...that'll throw everything we discussed way off. :o
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:wouldn't it be wild if it was a bacteria that causes Lycanthropy instead of a virus? Gee...that'll throw everything we discussed way off. :o
Not really. You'll just have to change everyones posts Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:wouldn't it be wild if it was a bacteria that causes Lycanthropy instead of a virus? Gee...that'll throw everything we discussed way off. :o
Not really. You'll just have to change everyones posts Image

I'll get right on it. :P
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

Immune to all diseases because I see the 'perfect' fantasy werewolf as having a high metabolism and a greater-than-human sort of supernatural power. Has NOBODY?? read the Anita Blake books? That's what I'm talking about. Her shapeshifters. And it's not that normal bullets stick in them...they pass through them. If I have to go with a monstrous werewolf, I want one beefed by supernatural strength and power. Otherwise there's nothing mythical or mystical to them. If it's a monster, it needs to have l337 monster skills. You all can have your ideal werewolves, but I'd appreciate it if my ideal werewolf isn't bashed. I'm not complaining about yours. :roll:

EDIT: Continuing on that, yes, extreme healing WOULD give you away as a shapeshifter. It could be considered a weakness of sorts. In the Anita Blake books, it's known that shapeshifters exist, and they try their hardest not to get outed. Nobody wants a monster teaching their kid math, or working in a cafeteria or something. And they don't heal like, LIGHTNING fast...that's only minor wounds. Worse than that takes time...a week, a couple weeks, but still heightened. That's what floats my boat if I have to have a supernatural shifter. Everyone is entitled to what they like or would like to see.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Anubis wrote:a werewolf's top speed is about 45 MPH when on all fours
But what if he's in a school zone?