Halloween Problem i need your help.....

The place for anything at all...
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Halloween Problem i need your help.....

Post by Darth Canis »

Every year at our zoo us students have a large event called boo at the zoo. We dress up around our zoo and in different areas and have themes that go along with the different areas in the zoo. We raised over 4000 canned food items for local charities last year... Anyways my area is the nightmare before christmas and i am of course viaing for the werewolf position which i will most likely get. The only problem is i want to make a decent head / mask for my werewolf. Something that looks semi realistic something i can put together with limited artistic ability and something that is inexpensive. i would also like any ideas you guys would have for doing feet as well. So if any of you could help me on this i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much .....
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Well, they sell faux fur at most craft stores, you could put that over a unitard. As far as the head, I would shape it out of cardboard or paper mache and cover it with faux fur.
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Yeah i was searching some sites and i think i am going to do something along those lines. Just seeing what suggestions people had or if they had done something like this in the past.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Well from what I've seen you could probably pick up some useful tips from some of the furry websites. Some of those things look very well done. I'm in favor of the furry unitard approach. It's simple and will probably look fairly decent. What do you mean by feet, just something wolfish looking or are you going for some sort of digitigrade thing?
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

yeah i have checked out the furry sites and got some really good things off of them. i was just wondering if anyone here had any helpful hints. As far as my feet go i think for expense wise i will have to make just wolfish looking feet to tide me over.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

I see what you mean about the feet. I know next to nothing about costuming, so I don't have any wisdom to offer right now, but I'd be happy to try and help with any problems that may come up.
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Thanks i appreciate that.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

How much were you looking to spend ballpark ? Faux Fur isn't really cheap. I do know a few online retailers with moderate priced werewolf heads or there is one nice brown werewolf head that Kmart has been stocking than can modified fairly easily as well.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

I've seen people use this one sort of foam..I can't remember what it's called, but it's supposed to be cheap and easily carved if you've got any carving skills.
I dunno about feet, but the werewolf claws I got are nothing but gloves with flat rubber fingers wrapped around them, and hair around the wrists. You could take some gloves (black) and glue claws to the tips, and use faux fur to hairy them up maybe? My biggest problem is a decent tail. I can't find one anywhere! :x
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I would go for a latex facial appliance and use facepaint to paint on fur texture. Wolf masks made out of fur usually suck. For good facepaint ideas check out the characters of Cats. They look believably feline without looking cheap and hokey. The same should go for a wolf.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

I would also use a stacked tail. That's what I'm using for my werecat costume. :) For that you get several colors of yarn. (in your case probably grey, black, and tan) and tie it. Cut one really long string for the base and tie knots every inch or so and then cut bunches of 6 inch strips of all the colors, probably three grey and tan for every black and start tying them to the base. Put as many as you can on the base string. Once you have filled the base string out to the length you want your tail, tie it off at the top and get a hairbrush and start unraveling the yarn with it. This makes a pretty good looking tail that has a bit of motion whenever you walk unlike feaux fur tails.

Here's a How-To on tail-making. http://www.cheezrulez.com/CATS/costume/ ... howto.html
She hasn't brushed the tail out in those pictures. It looks much more realistic when you do that. It gets nice and fluffy and has a texture almost like real fur.
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Also, a good person to ask about mask creation might be Solion, the packmember... he makes masks for a living.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Goldie made a couple masks.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

Oooo! I LOVE the yarn tails! That's so awesome! And creative/cheap. :D I cheated on my mask...I got a werewolf mask, rubber with fur. It's a nice one, though. He's got a lengthy muzzle and nifty ears, I like it.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Heh, glad you're getting what you want. :)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

I found a nice tail pattern somewhere on a fursuiting site, but I can't remember which one and have lost the link. I made mine from it and it looked really good. If I ever find it again I'll post the link.

Edit: Found it! http://wolfden.critter.net/fursuits/index.htm
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Thanks for the tips everyone
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Reilune wrote:I found a nice tail pattern somewhere on a fursuiting site, but I can't remember which one and have lost the link. I made mine from it and it looked really good. If I ever find it again I'll post the link.

Edit: Found it! http://wolfden.critter.net/fursuits/index.htm

:o She makes cool feet!
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

:wagtail: Awesome feet. :D
~Kate

Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Yeah it is really awesome i love the feet and i think i am going to try and do mine that way!! I also got an idea from one of the sites of how to modify a jason mask and turn it into a proper werewolf mask and that should be fun and realatively inexpensive i am so happy i have good excuse to do this hwlwnk Thanks everyone for their help keep the comments and suggestions coming and i hope to be able to show you the final product.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I dont know where to look for the feet. :?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

oh NEATO!!! Ok my vampire loving friend got me saying the word neato now. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

neato...neato...hmm. That's a cool suit!
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

What kind of foam is that he's using on the hind paws? I've been looking for it everywhere. :(
I just ended up using fun foam and cutting and gluing it into the right shape. It's working ok, but I think the blue stuff would've worked better.