The Howling is being rebooted!

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

The Howling is being rebooted!

Post by IndianaJones »

The Howling Set to be RE-BOOTED

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011725?refCatId=13 (Note: even though the article is old, it is mentioned. But no announcement of the new rebooted Howling movie as of now)

Source:Variety

The Howling" is coming back.

Indie producers Joel Kastelberg and Moonstone Entertainment's Etchie Stroh are re-launching the werewolf franchise as "The Howling: Reborn." Former studio marketing exec Joe Nimziki, who worked at New Line, MGM and Sony, will make his feature directorial debut from his own script.

Pic's due to start shooting in February for a Halloween release, with plot details under wraps.

The original "Howling," directed by Joe Dante from a script by John Sayles, was released in 1981 and spawned six sequels. Dee Wallace-Stone starred as a news anchor stalked by a serial killer who turns out to be a werewolf.

Steve Lane and Bob Pringle, who served as exec producers on the original, will also exec produce "The Howling: Reborn."

Kastelberg's credits include "Bodies, Rest and Motion," "Mr. Jealousy," "Sleep With Me" and "Kicking and Screaming" while Stroh's include "Cookie's Fortune," "Afterglow," "Dancing at the Blue Iguana" and "Stranger Than Fiction."

Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Re: The Howling is being rebooted!

Post by alphanubilus »

IndianaJones wrote:The Howling Set to be RE-BOOTED

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011725?refCatId=13 (Note: even though the article is old, it is mentioned. But no announcement of the new rebooted Howling movie as of now)

Source:Variety

The Howling" is coming back.

Indie producers Joel Kastelberg and Moonstone Entertainment's Etchie Stroh are re-launching the werewolf franchise as "The Howling: Reborn." Former studio marketing exec Joe Nimziki, who worked at New Line, MGM and Sony, will make his feature directorial debut from his own script.

Pic's due to start shooting in February for a Halloween release, with plot details under wraps.

The original "Howling," directed by Joe Dante from a script by John Sayles, was released in 1981 and spawned six sequels. Dee Wallace-Stone starred as a news anchor stalked by a serial killer who turns out to be a werewolf.

Steve Lane and Bob Pringle, who served as exec producers on the original, will also exec produce "The Howling: Reborn."

Kastelberg's credits include "Bodies, Rest and Motion," "Mr. Jealousy," "Sleep With Me" and "Kicking and Screaming" while Stroh's include "Cookie's Fortune," "Afterglow," "Dancing at the Blue Iguana" and "Stranger Than Fiction."

While I haven't seen a release date, the film is already made. I've already seen the trailer, and it looks like some sort of Twilight wannabe, with werewolves instead of vampires. Kid goes to school. Falls in love with the wrong girl w/ a dark secret, and learns that he has a dark secret of his own... blah blah... ugh...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

alphanubilus wrote: While I haven't seen a release date, the film is already made. I've already seen the trailer, and it looks like some sort of Twilight wannabe, with werewolves instead of vampires. Kid goes to school. Falls in love with the wrong girl w/ a dark secret, and learns that he has a dark secret of his own... blah blah... ugh...

I have.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Howli ... ray/27750/
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but you guys do remember the other Howling sequels, right?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Uniform Two Six wrote:I hate to be the one to bring this up, but you guys do remember the other Howling sequels, right?
Yup. And I'm trying to forget.

This version was made last year. How many theaters it was in is beyond me. Now it'll be out on Blu-ray. I'll rent it. That's if I can get my hands on it. Titles like these are rare at Blockbuster. (One or 2 copies.) I'll check vudu to see if they have it 1st.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Figarou wrote:Yup. And I'm trying to forget.
Remember, what has been seen cannot be unseen...
:(
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
Yes, but what you "remember" can be forgotten.

Now where did I put those car keys?

:jester:
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

Figarou wrote:
Uniform Two Six wrote:
Yes, but what you "remember" can be forgotten.

Now where did I put those car keys?

:jester:
I hear that happens once you pass 40... :P
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

alphanubilus wrote:
I hear that happens once you pass 40... :P
Heh...I'm 44. And I think it's starting its toll.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I finally saw it! The Howling Reborn--the opening credits say that it is based on Brandner's second The Howling novel. (The movie Howling II certainly wasn't.)

I was pleasantly surprised. I have gotten so used to really bad werewolf movies that I wasn't expecting anything good, especially from the aging and weary Howling sequel franchise. But, it was. The original movie remains a classic, and sequels II and III are both fun quitch films--II because it's so bad and III because it's surprisingly good story-telling. Everything from IV through New Moon Rising have been terrible (except possibly VI; I cannot judge it, as I haven't seen it.) Reborn took the only sane and reasonable approach, which was dispensing with any timeline connection or association with any of the other sequels. It could have happened in the same timeline as the original film, but it was entirely a stand-alone story. More importantly, it was the first Howling movie in a long time that didn't need the name recognition Howling to make it worth viewing.

It's got a few nits to pick, and I do wish they didn't--once again--take more than half the movie before getting to the first shift. But, the characters were at least likable enough to follow from start to finish, and even a bit sympathetic. (It's been awhile since I've seen that in a Howling sequel.) The werewolves had pretty good-looking Gestalt forms, with fur and tails, as well as a nice digitigrade stance. Werewolves had individual motivations and purposes--they weren't all the same monster, and werewolves were not compelled by unseen diabolical forces to commit evil--something the other sequels often fixated on, especially II and IV. It wasn't Oscar material, but after needing therapy for seeing the shape-shifting scenes of Howling IV, I was quite pleased.

Oh, and the soundtrack was good.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...