Real Werewolves, are they out there.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.

Do you think werewolves exist?

Yes
56%
No
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
18%

Total votes: 312

wolfpriest
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfpriest »

From all the info. I have picked up from the 10 some odd years of studying lycanthrope cases and myths. Werewolves must be real, for each region around the world has their own form of a were creature weither it be a WerePanther to a Werespider each culture has their own views, but most of Europe and North America have believed in Werewolves since their first human inhabitents. Just look back at France during the Medieval Time Period. There were so many Trials and Lycan hunts its not even funny, but this could be blamed for the mental dissorder "Clinical Lycanthropy" in which a person would have the traits of a wild beast.

Yet I still stand that Were-Creatures do exsist! 8)
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: booooooooooored.....

Post by wolf4life »

Of course they do! :music: I like music! :P Random...
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"Choose a good path....because you only get to choose once"-Wolf4life

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

wolfpriest wrote: Werewolves must be real, for each region around the world has their own form of a were creature weither it be a WerePanther to a Werespider each culture has their own views, but most of Europe and North America have believed in Werewolves since their first human inhabitents.
Ah, but couldn't everyone share the same fears or desires and shape them into their legends? For instance, every culture has a Cinderella story, because all the lower class people were envious of the upper class. It may be a basic human desire to gain another creature's strength or leave behind the responsibility of the world. Just playing the devil's advocate here.
wolfpriest
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfpriest »

Ah, but couldn't everyone share the same fears or desires and shape them into their legends? For instance, every culture has a Cinderella story, because all the lower class people were envious of the upper class. It may be a basic human desire to gain another creature's strength or leave behind the responsibility of the world. Just playing the devil's advocate here.
Very good question maybe my signature can show a minor example :
Werewolf legends arose in many parts of Europe, Asia, and North America inhabited by true wolves. The forests of France inspired the most stories: 30,000 cases were reported between 1520-1630.
so really It could be just primal instinct or maybe its something more than that... Why would one be afraid of something that dosent exsist, but alass proving the exsistence of werewolves is like proving the exsistence of ghosts its all up to you weither you believe the evidence or not...But Very Good point my friend very good!
[wolfpriest] T.T Save me from her
[cumulusprotagonist] How could I possibly do that/
[wolfpriest] uuh...magical mystical mind bullet?
[Mom] OMG Gary WTF ouch...That better be fruit punch on the floor!
*Visit my blog here: http://wolfpriest.blogspot.com/
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

wolfpriest wrote:
Werewolf legends arose in many parts of Europe, Asia, and North America inhabited by true wolves. The forests of France inspired the most stories: 30,000 cases were reported between 1520-1630.
so really It could be just primal instinct or maybe its something more than that... Why would one be afraid of something that dosent exsist, but alass proving the exsistence of werewolves is like proving the exsistence of ghosts its all up to you weither you believe the evidence or not...But Very Good point my friend very good!

I like what your saying...there is no way you can actually prove werewolves are real....or ghosts, aliens, and other crud like that. To the people who believe they are real....they are real to that person or group of people. Until proven...the people who dont believe in them...the werewolves, ghosts, etc. arnt real to those people.

I think that any real werewolf out there....should go local and prove they can shift by actually shifting. It would answer two questions. 1. Do werewolves really exist? (i think so) and 2. Will people accept the werewolves? (i would but thats just me) If one of them came out in the open and was accepted, I think alot of other werewolves would come out too and stop being afraid
"Es gibt nix, was es nicht gibt", translated "There's nothing which can't exist."

"TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"-Gir
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

wolf4life wrote:
wolfpriest wrote:

I like what your saying...there is no way you can actually prove werewolves are real....or ghosts, aliens, and other crud like that. To the people who believe they are real....they are real to that person or group of people. Until proven...the people who dont believe in them...the werewolves, ghosts, etc. arnt real to those people.

I think that any real werewolf out there....should go local and prove they can shift by actually shifting. It would answer two questions. 1. Do werewolves really exist? (i think so) and 2. Will people accept the werewolves? (i would but thats just me) If one of them came out in the open and was accepted, I think alot of other werewolves would come out too and stop being afraid
yes but you really think people would accept them? i mean look at the holocaust, somehow a single man who could have been 1/4 jewish himself, convinced a entire nation plus Austria and parts of Czech that for the fact that some people are jewish that they caused all the problems in the world and would ruin the "pure" Aryan race, what is the point of this? that no matter who has what feeling anyone can be taught to hate, fear, and kill someone for simply being differnt, how would people react to a real werewolves? it would be all hell breaking loose
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
wolfpriest
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolfpriest »

yes but you really think people would accept them? i mean look at the holocaust, somehow a single man who could have been 1/4 jewish himself, convinced a entire nation plus Austria and parts of Czech that for the fact that some people are jewish that they caused all the problems in the world and would ruin the "pure" Aryan race, what is the point of this? that no matter who has what feeling anyone can be taught to hate, fear, and kill someone for simply being differnt, how would people react to a real werewolves? it would be all hell breaking loose
I fully agree the public would go balistic!
[wolfpriest] T.T Save me from her
[cumulusprotagonist] How could I possibly do that/
[wolfpriest] uuh...magical mystical mind bullet?
[Mom] OMG Gary WTF ouch...That better be fruit punch on the floor!
*Visit my blog here: http://wolfpriest.blogspot.com/
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

Lukas wrote:
wolf4life wrote:
wolfpriest wrote:

I never said any of the people would accept them. Im only guessing if they did come out, there would be many fights, they would be probably hunted down if they ran. All im saying is that I would accept them and if some other people did, they could live in hidding but know that some people are trying to help. Believe me, if they came out, it would be like hell for everyone!

WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

I'm saying one thing:
they have existed for centuries, perhaps longer.
Wouldn't it be plausible to say, that you could be talking to one, and you wouldn't know?
They could be hiding as the weird guy down the street, your next door neighbor, or your best friend, and you would never really know.
Do i believe there are shape shifting werewolves out there? You'd better believe i do.
(I do too. Then again, i am one. :D )
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Just curious, but why do you often write two different contradicting opinions in your posts, with one in parenthases?
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Kaebora wrote:Just curious, but why do you often write two different contradicting opinions in your posts, with one in parenthases?
You're not used to more than one person in a single post, are you?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Set wrote:You're not used to more than one person in a single post, are you?
Considering that you can use multiple accounts on one computer... no.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Kaebora wrote:Just curious, but why do you often write two different contradicting opinions in your posts, with one in parenthases?

I believe thats his werewolf conscience speaking. :grinp:
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

WerewolfKeeper3 wrote:I'm saying one thing:
they have existed for centuries, perhaps longer.
Wouldn't it be plausible to say, that you could be talking to one, and you wouldn't know?
They could be hiding as the weird guy down the street, your next door neighbor, or your best friend, and you would never really know.
Do i believe there are shape shifting werewolves out there? You'd better believe i do.
(I do too. Then again, i am one. :D )

Your actually right......one of us....any of us could be a werewolf right now......anyone on this whole dang message board on the whole site! could be one and we would never even know. It could be possible they dont even know....

Course.......if you woke up and you were naked but didnt remember anything I would have a few questions! :P ??????????

JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Hide first, get caught later.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

wolf4life wrote:Course.......if you woke up and you were naked but didnt remember anything I would have a few questions! :P ??????????
:lol: Just because someone got drunk doesn't make them a werewolf. :drunx: :thpt2:
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Set wrote: :lol: Just because someone got drunk doesn't make them a werewolf. :drunx: :thpt2:
Drunk. Yeah, that's it. It must have been the beer that did it...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Midnight wrote:
Set wrote: :lol: Just because someone got drunk doesn't make them a werewolf. :drunx: :thpt2:
Drunk. Yeah, that's it. It must have been the beer that did it...

Or....

He/she passed out from drinking to much. His/her friends decided to play a prank by removing the clothes....then taking him/her outside.

something simular to this prank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1whTXxgbevc
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

lol true but I only said questions..........I never said you didnt wake up with a beer bottle next to you :P

Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Nope, don't believe in werewolves. Though, I hope I'm alive when Genetic science can turn me into a reasonable-facmile of one.
XIV
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

YOU DONT BELIEVE IN WEREWOLVES!

Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Nope. But, like I said, I'm waiting for Genetic science to advvance to the point to make me a resonable facimile of one.
XIV
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The Werewolf Equation

Post by Scott Gardener »

I was mulling over the lycanthropic equivalent of the Drake Equation. (The Drake Equation is a mathematical expression of the relative numbers of intelligent life in the universe. We don't know the amount, because we don't know all the variables. I'll leave it to Google to explain the rest of that one, since it's a bit long-winded and delves heavily into science. Yes, I know I'm Scott Gardener, but I don't want this post to be about the Drake Equation.)

My equivalent was about predicting how long it will take to go from where we are today to the day science can turn a person into a werewolf. I haven't actually yet produced the equation, so I'll see if I can do it right here. I'm working under the assumptions that: 1. It's possible at all, 2. It will actually ever be done at all, and 3. it's done by way of a self-replicating nanomolecular technology that acts like a virus, much like how many of us picture it. I'll start with some variables:

V= the time between now and the point at which human civilization has the technology to build the virus
N= the time between now and the point at which human civilization has sufficient nanomolecular technology to build artificial nanite devices as complex as naturally occurring bacteria
Gw= the time between now and the point at which human civilization has a complete working understanding of the human and wolf genomes
Cw= the time needed to design a virus that can manage the complexities of shapeshifting and regeneration
Sw= the time between being able to build the virus and society being willing to allow it to be made and implimented

V = (N ~ Gw) + Cw

N is probably not that long. There's a lot of talk about carbon nanotubes, targeted molecular medicine, and other technologies in the works. Being able to make a werewolf won't be on the minds of the researchers. Indeed, most, when asked, would probably cite werewolves as a possible dangerous consequence of their research. Transhumanism, the philosophy that our goal as a civilization should be to evolve past being human in order to fix our problems, is right now an underground movement--an intellectual one, but underground none-the-less, since most people are pretty happy with being human, in spite of all the wars, poverty, disease, and so forth that I personally think a post-human society could fix far more efficiently.

Gw probably won't be that far off, either. We've already written out the human genome, and dog genomes get a lot of attention, thanks to the devotion of pet owners and the demand for cloning pets. Kudos to quirky rich ladies who miss their Chihuahuas for helping us skip around some of the roadblocks that 20th century bio-ludite ethics has left in place. (At least Apokalyptos gets it. Thanks for the applause over there. Everyone else, bear with me.)

Figuring out how N and Gw relate is tricky. I suspect Gw will be shorter than N, but I don't know. Both times are elapsing together. Basically, (N ~ Gw) = N or Gw, whichever is longer.

Cw is probably longer than (N ~ Gw), because the first involve just figuring out stuff in general, whereas Cw involves something very specific and complex, and it also requries someone to be doing it specifically to create werewolves. There's right now between six and seven billion people wanting to cure disease, and that number is climbing. So, there's lots of motivation to develop nanomolecular biotechnology for that reason. There's maybe fifty thousand therians and a half a dozen mad scientists, plus a few independent film-makers--not a lot of people or funding for research specifically to create werewolves. However, after (N ~ Gw) has passed, things may have changed by then. Gay marriage will probably have been legal for several decades by then, and the hot political issues might be whether people should still have to wear clothes in public, whether genetically enhanced athletes should be allowed to compete in the Olympics, and how to deal with the AI civil rights movement. Quick hint: people might not remember that old movie Terminator 2 any more, but the AIs do, so I'd back off the robots' backs. My mentioning AIs at this point isn't just a tangential aside; artificial intelligence will quickly shorten the length of Cw, because computers can provide the processing power neccessary to work with complex DNA / RNA / protein relationships and their biomolecular consequences. A computer with imagination and creative intent would go a long way towards getting Cw over with, compared to people doing it themselves, sitting in front of mindless non-AI computers that couldn't care less.

Note that, since werewolves aren't a high priority at the moment, it seems likely that by the time V has passed, a lot of other things will have also been invented. Hopefully, if V takes long enough, one of them is a way to keep us alive in one form or another long enough to see:

V + Sw = total time needed

If (V + Sw) > [your remaining life expectancy], then consider donating to your favorite transhumanist movement.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
wolf4life
Legendary
Legendary

Post by wolf4life »

uhh.....can i have a base summary of that? I am way to bored.....and dont really have the attention span to read all that

Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

wolf4life wrote:YOU DONT BELIEVE IN WEREWOLVES!
Neither do I. Sorry about that, Tinkerbell.

Doesn't mean people can't tell awesome stories about them, though...