The look and religion of werewolves

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Do you agree?

Yes
35%
no, if no please post on your ideas
65%

Total votes: 23

White_Wing
Custom Title: Alpha of the "Blue-Fire' pack

The look and religion of werewolves

Post by White_Wing »

A werewolf actually looks very similar to the representations of both White Wolf productions and the drawings of Goldenwolfen, White Wolf productions also has the werewolf (Garou) religion hands down. http://www.worldofdarkness.com/
http://www.goldenwolfen.com/
:tribalwolf:
"They say your body shuts down in chrino-sleep, all but the primal part, that must be why I'm still awake." Riddick from'The Chronicles Of Riddick'
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Yes, White Wolf does have alot of information about "their" werewolves. But its not a good idea to use them. They tried to sue the makers of Underworld since its very close to White Wolf's "World of Darkness."

Also.....:welcome:
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Actually no. I werewolf can look like anything and beleive anything, theres no right way to repersent a werewolf.

If I want to my werewolves can be one inch tall and beleive green little imps created the universe with their snot than I can. Goldie nor WhiteWolf has them looking correctly or beleiving in any religon correctly.

Because there are no 'right' werewolves, there are no werewolves at all. (ofcource that doesn't mean theres any wrong etheir.)

Otherwise; Welcome!
Last edited by outwarddoodles on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

GoldenWolf and WhiteWolf both have very cool, interesting werewolves. I am a fan of Goldies werewolves, but not the WhiteWolf ones so much.

If you are a fan of both, that's great...awsome...but I am inclined to agree with the others here.

Neither is what you could call the "RIGHT" version of werewolves. They are merely two Good, Popular interpretations of the mythology, but Not the end-all be-all "Best" versions.

All types of werewolves are welcome here, from the copyrighted ones to the truely bizarre.
(Just be wary of following "copyrighted" ideas too closely or faithfully. Not only could that get one into potential Legal trouble, but it also restricts ones ability to think and imagine more Creatively.)

We not only support, but ENCOURAGE the breaking of established associations and ideas around here.

Werewolves DONT need to be the natural enemies of Vampires.
(they can be copletely impartial to each other, or even allies if you so desire.)

A werewolf does not NEED to change every Full Moon if you don't want them to.
(or WILL if you Do)

Werewolves don't Have To grow bigger when they shift, nor need they be restricted to realistic sizes if you desire that they do.
(you want wolf-zilla?...you got it!)

Werewolves can be of all one organized religion, or of all standard religions, or of no religious allignment at all.
(have you hugged a jewish werewolf today?)

So...do I agree that WhiteWolf and Goldenwofen got werewolves "right", "hands down"? ...No...

...but they didn't get them wrong either.

It's ALL good. Image

...oh...and WELCOME to "The Pack" White Wing Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Vuldari wrote: Werewolves DONT need to be the natural enemies of Vampires.
(they can be copletely impartial to each other, or even allies if you so desire.)
Well, White Wolf did at ;east give a feasible reason. Vampires are 'of the Wyrm', which seems about right, considering they sustian themselves off other beings, and are unnatural.

And the Red Talons tribe of WhiteWolf's Garou has the best reasaon, they simply hate humans. And a Vampire is little more than a superpowered and some are rather egotisitcal.

Thus, put a Red Talon in a room with a Vampire and well..

Lets just say you better have some serious cleaning equipment... :lol:
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

Yeah, um, I have created a race of werewolves the way -I- think werewolves should be. For me. Glad that you're a fan, but since werewolves are fictional creatures (and yes, werewolves as I think of them are) werewolves can be anything you can make up about them. Whatever works for you. If you like werewolves that look like the ones I draw and have a religion like the Garou? Good for you! But don't think that ALL werewolves will be that way. To each his own and all that :)
Over 25% of human genes are the same as those of a banana. Get over yourself.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

hmm. I'm not familiar wirh White Wolf Productions, but Goldenwolf's weres are pretty much exactally how I think they should be too.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i think that werewolves should look like goldie's but there is no wright and wrong anser, they don't exist :cry: but all we can do is give an educated guess. all for we know the hairy cave man with fangs werewolf might be the right one, but we'll never know, its a smelting pot of ideas. that what makes it so fun talking about a creature that dosen't exist would do, act, eat and look like. :)

mabey they do exist and laughing thier tail off right now at our redickulous ideas about them :lol:
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

This is why part of me thinks that werewolfs shouldnt exist and yet the other part wich is it does, if it does exist and it turns out the way one person likes then others will be greatly disapointed that it wasnt the way they visioned it. :(
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I agree with the consensus look that many of us see on the appearance of werewolves, that Goldenwolf has portrayed so eloquently.

But, I voted no, because I don't really picture for myself werewolves having as well-organized a society as they do in White Wolf's Werewolf: the Apocalypse. Not that I dislike that game; I've played it many times, and some of my best role-playing memories involve LARPing it at A-Kon some eleven years or so ago.

Rather, I see werewolves retaining human religion and for that matter general membership with society, but on discovering one's lycanthropic nature, or getting bitten into it, one does have to do some soul-searching.

If word were to get out and werewolves able to reveal themselves in public, only then would a well-organized lycanthropic community exist beyond small circles.

I'll consider Wicca, a Pagan religion, as a point of reference, but not so much as a model for the content of the religion itself so much as the mode of organization to extrapolate about werewolf culture. (Wicca does, however, have elements similar to a Werewolf LARP I once played.) Because the religion is a minority that is poorly understood by the lay public, members often must practice in secret. Many practice as solitaries, while others do it as couples or small groups. The groups are perhaps analogous to packs. Wiccan circle members do not follow cult methods--you don't see communes, isolation from society, or other weird stuff. Most non-Wiccans are amazed once they get to know Pagans and witches at how normal they are. Likewise, I picture werewolves as being remarkably normal people who integrate with society, but who might find each other almost quite by chance, maybe by recognizing a scent or noticing how the other person also always seems to take full moon holidays. Then they might organize into small groups, or at least marry, possibly to have families.

But, I don't see underground werewolves having an elaborate civilization that sees their involvement with humans a secondary issue. I don't see a huge litany or "werewolf code," that new converts memorize and recite; I think if werewolf society had rules, it would be simple, along the lines of "don't bite just anyone," or "don't tell people about werewolves." Werewolves might pass on some information, such as "I understand there's a pack in Chicago that is buying up some land in Wisconsin for use as hunting ground." I don't see "The Wendigo Crips are summoning Grandfather Buffalo, just like the prophesy of the Silver Blade has warned. We must call upon all Lycans who are Level 6 or higher, so we can spend our Gnosis Points to repel the Plot Mechanism."
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

I really don't think that werewolves have/need their own religion, period. Every ww is still some part human, so it would make sense that they would go with their native human religion/culture even after the change.
That's my opinion, anyone's free to disagree.
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

I agree with you, Merrypaws. It would be a logical thing to do... and it would help them to continue their normal lives without someone suspecting them of anything...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Merrypaws wrote:I really don't think that werewolves have/need their own religion, period. Every ww is still some part human, so it would make sense that they would go with their native human religion/culture even after the change.
That's my opinion, anyone's free to disagree.

I'm the same way. Werewolves don't need thier own religion. Unless they are a totally different race with no human qualities. It just depends on what the writer wants with his/her werewolf characters. I read up on White wolf's werewolves. There is a bunch of stuff I didn't like.

Look at my avatar. (LoboLEO drew that, by the way.) Put it side by side with Goldenwolf's werewolf art. What major difference do you see? (Beside the duckie in the paw and the pants.) The only difference is the style. We all have the same "ingredients" when putting our werewolves together. The only difference is its personality.

(Mine likes to throw duckies at other werewolves.) :duckiemind:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I just can't stress this enough: There are no right answers. Goldenwolf's werewolves and the White Wolf versions certainly are well-thought definitions, but until a real life werewolf comes out of the closet about his problem and gives us a full definition, all we can do is speculate and/or fantasize.

And considering what happened between White Wolf and Underworld, Freeborn really would be better off with its own unique version. There's nothing actually written that says if werewolves exist, so must vampires.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:I just can't stress this enough: There are no right answers. Goldenwolf's werewolves and the White Wolf versions certainly are well-thought definitions, but until a real life werewolf comes out of the closet about his problem and gives us a full definition, all we can do is speculate and/or fantasize.
Of course. I said the same thing in another thread because they don't exist. If I grabbed a book to study up on werewolves, I'm just reading someone elses views.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yeah, which really there should be no reason to criticise on werewolfs.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, I'll concede. What I feel is most believable is hardly either ratified canon or established scientific theory. It's just how I feel about what I'd find more likely or believable.

But, I used to be overly critical of excessive regeneration capabilities. Then, I found on my PDA this article (which I've been posting links like crazy) :

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68962,00.html

So, who am I to say what is or isn't plausible? Maybe shapeshifting can work, too...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Scott Gardener wrote:OK, I'll concede. What I feel is most believable is hardly either ratified canon or established scientific theory. It's just how I feel about what I'd find more likely or believable.

But, I used to be overly critical of excessive regeneration capabilities. Then, I found on my PDA this article (which I've been posting links like crazy) :

So, who am I to say what is or isn't plausible? Maybe shapeshifting can work, too...
Allright...allright...geez Scott Gardener...you've mentioned that in at least three, (if not more) threads allready. We get it...

...regenerating mouse...

...incredible...

...opens whole new perspective on the concept...

...whatever...

Just please don't start an entire new thread on it as well. You've allready created more than enough opportunities to discuss this scientific phenomenon. Image

...it is cool though... Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:OK, I'll concede. What I feel is most believable is hardly either ratified canon or established scientific theory. It's just how I feel about what I'd find more likely or believable.

Allright...allright...geez Scott Gardener...you've mentioned that in at least three, (if not more) threads allready. We get it...

...regenerating mouse...

...incredible...

...opens whole new perspective on the concept...

...whatever...

Just please don't start an entire new thread on it as well. You've allready created more than enough opportunities to discuss this scientific phenomenon. Image

...it is cool though... Image

oh wow!!! Have you guys seen this!!!

Regenerating mice!!!

:jester:
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

There's not much we can do past just waiting to see what happens, unless you feel like getting a PhD in biology. Prediction of future technology can be nearly impossble, and we're restricted to mere speculation in anything other than the vaugest terms. However, I"m confident that those who answer 'yes' to my sig may live to see the oppertunity, myself :)
Sanity is relative.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Maybe we should get back on topic. Who was the bozo who started the regenerating mice banter?

Oh. Right. Anyway...

I stilll feel that werewolves are more likely to bring with them pre-existing religions rather than converting over to an internal one. Still, I could suppose that werewolves could be organized enough to distribute beliefs. Couple that with the soul-searching, I suppose a sort-of religious worldview could be plausible. Still, lean in favor of keeping pre-bite faith.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I think werewolves should be Satanic. Not evil outraged beasts, but just Satanic in a religious way.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Goldenwolf wrote:Yeah, um, I have created a race of werewolves the way -I- think werewolves should be. For me. Glad that you're a fan, but since werewolves are fictional creatures (and yes, werewolves as I think of them are) werewolves can be anything you can make up about them.
[my rantings]Goldenwolf's werewolves are the best-to me. The Kierrn have most of the attributes I would consider a werewolf to have. Other than that, I add my own stuff and call it good.

As for religion, ww's are humans that can transform into werewolves, not the other way around. That means they are primarily human and would be members human religions just like other people, IMO.[/my rantings]
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

Morkulv wrote:I think werewolves should be Satanic. Not evil outraged beasts, but just Satanic in a religious way.
:blink: Okay, now I'm confused.
And curious. Care to elaborate that? Why satanic?
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I think what he means by satanic is ....."IM BAD!!" you know kinda like if a person is a troublemaker. Am I right?
Image Image