Can meteors exist?

The place for anything at all...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Can meteors exist?

Post by Figarou »

Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

Is that for real? Can that be for real? :o
Ah well, it's entertaining anyhoo. :D
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Maybe it's a truck commercial. Perhaps they left off the "Chevy: Like a Rock" at the end.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

It's so painfully obvious that it is a scripted SFX scene (with a 99.95% chance of being a commercial for that truck) that it's not even funny.

...and yet some of the comments below the video are from people who honestly believe it was real.

Maybe it's just because I watch too many sci-fi/ action movies and play too many videogames, but the "fingerprint" of sfx image manipulation is all over this video, and is obvious to the trained eye.

True as it may be that meteors really do strike the earth like this from time to time...it doesn't look like that when it happens. (Plus, guys goofing off in the desert don't use a camera like that...not to mention that the ejected debris from the impact would have destroyed the camera and injured and/or killed the cameraman.)

...Real?...Yeah right...Image
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

It looked real. But after close observation, its fake. Besides, it had to be a really big meteor for it not to burn up in the atmosphere. If it was a commercial, then thats an odd way of selling a truck.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I agree, it looks like something they did for a commercial.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:It's so painfully obvious that it is a scripted SFX scene (with a 99.95% chance of being a commercial for that truck) that it's not even funny.
*nods* You'd be surprised how easy it is to provide highly realistic FX these days; the commercial companies now have better equipment than George Lucas did the first time he filmed Star Wars.

Somebody once sent me this clip and asked if it was real. Convincing, yes, but too good to be true.

The home video approach does add to that illusion, but they blow it with the laws of physics. The meteor looks cool coming in, but a meteor that size would have made more than just a crater, and even if a meteor was small enough to be observed at close range, it would have kicked up more dirt and debris than pyrotechnics.

Though it's really the truck that gives it away. If you watch closely, you'll notice that the meteor lands right on the truck. It's hard to tell due to the dust cloud, but I think it's the same one that comes out of it.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Some nice CG there, but that's quite clearly what it is. I'm surprised that some of the people there actually seem to thing it's real; as others have said, a metor that size would kill everyone in sight with debri, and kick up a LOT more dust, and a smaller one wouldn't do anything even remotely resembling an explosion. Fun little clip, though.

@Terastas: Hrm. Perhaps there are people who just don't have a good idea of how to tell SFX from reality.
Sanity is relative.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

My first thoughts were the same. "Ots a commercial" A meteror that big would have lkeft a pretty big crater and everyone would be flying.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

It's a comercial i've seen it on tv it's for the toyota four runner....so it's fake :(
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

What do you guys think of this one?

http://media.putfile.com/omaVSmercedes
Miguel
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keep it Copacetic!
Mood: Happy

Post by Miguel »

The old woman is a moron...knocking up someone's mercedes.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

lol totaly staged funny though
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Prowler
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Arctic interests

Post by Prowler »

Thats one hyper sencitive air bag :lol:
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

First time I saw that I though: WOAH!! Thats really sweet looking! Ofcource what popped through my head a second later was: cheesy. Though the effects look great, its just something about it that doesn't fit what I've imagine meotors (sp?) looked like falling. Really cool though, you have to give them credit for that!

I think one reason is because it fell slanted, wouldn't it fall strait down?
Last edited by outwarddoodles on Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

The meteor did look kind of cool, but not real... I've seen a lot of crap fall out of the sky and it doesn't look like that..
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

:lol: ha ha ha ha, NICE! staged but but hillarious though :lol:
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

hmm they should have a giant meteor fall on a guys head and the guys walks out of a cloud of smoke with out a single scracth.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:What do you guys think of this one?

http://media.putfile.com/omaVSmercedes
Funny yes, but still too good to be true.
Raith Lupus wrote:@Terastas: Hrm. Perhaps there are people who just don't have a good idea of how to tell SFX from reality.
Rememeber when Jurassic Park introduced us to CGI and some people speculated that they had actually used real-life dinosaurs? Well, that's just the pattern: whenever a breakthrough comes about, some people fail to recognize it as such.

In this case, it's not so much a breakthrough in technology as it is a breakthrough in technique. Advertising companies now have the same tools that Spielberg did, and they've discovered the home-video feel makes it all the more convincing.

Just think: some day you might be able to make stuff like this on your PC.
Miguel
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keep it Copacetic!
Mood: Happy

Post by Miguel »

Duhhhh...kind thiught it would kill them in real life but

STILL FUNNY :) :lol:
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

they all look quite real, the meteor one looks the best, but this one beats them all http://analogik.com/multimedia/video/tetra_vaal.mov