Limb Regeneration

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Can werewolves regenerate limbs?

Yes, but only if all limbs were present before the bite
28%
Yes, no matter what
11%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
51%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
11%

Total votes: 65

Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:Well, you need to get up to answer the door when they deliver it. :D
That's still 50% less getting up.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Get me some too!
Sanity is relative.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I thought I ordered pepporoni...Instead I got a pizza with 9mm bullets on top of it. :P whats up woth that?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I thought I ordered pepporoni...Instead I got a pizza with 9mm bullets on top of it. :P whats up woth that?

That gave you a clue that you're about to get shot at. :o
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im trying upload an mp3...not shure how though.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:I thought I ordered pepporoni...Instead I got a pizza with 9mm bullets on top of it. :P whats up woth that?
The were out of pepporoni.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

was that ball or hollowpoint?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Yes, the mice are a genetic anomoly.

But...

So are werewolves!!!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Exactly.
Sanity is relative.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

ok, basic consencus is that a wolf can't regenerate, neither can a human.
so why is it that a werewolf can regeneratewhen neither of it's counterparts can? realistically, healing abilities couldn't be like that in a werewolf. but then of course, a werewolf isn't realistic in the first place, so the regeneration ability can be allowed in the stories. if you're going for a realistic werewolf, no regeneration powers. if you want to please the fans of the 'super-werewolf', then by all means keep the regeneration.
and i don't mean to sound so sarchastic, it just came out that way.
~Celtwolf :laddie:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Science-Fiction my good fellow.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

celtwolf wrote:ok, basic consencus is that a wolf can't regenerate, neither can a human.
so why is it that a werewolf can regeneratewhen neither of it's counterparts can? realistically, healing abilities couldn't be like that in a werewolf. but then of course, a werewolf isn't realistic in the first place, so the regeneration ability can be allowed in the stories. if you're going for a realistic werewolf, no regeneration powers. if you want to please the fans of the 'super-werewolf', then by all means keep the regeneration.
~Celtwolf :laddie:

I rather see "heal wounds faster." Not see a new arm/leg grow.
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

Figarou wrote: I rather see "heal wounds faster." Not see a new arm/leg grow.
i agree, that's the better compromise. not super regeneration, but not total frailty.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Yeah, I'm really not into that whole, limbs-growing-back thing for WWs :P Especially in the same day/week/month :) Though I do agree with wounds healing faster :D
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

I thought only vampires could regenerate limbs
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

ok, basic consencus is that a wolf can't regenerate, neither can a human.
~Celtwolf Quote not sure what you mean. If they had greater control over there body I would say yes. We all ready have the planes in are DNA but I would not wont see him transfrom and be like he my hand graw back in a minute. It would take a lot of time at lest a few years that sounds like a lot of time but it rally isn't.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

dnl wrote:ok, basic consencus is that a wolf can't regenerate, neither can a human.
so why is it that a werewolf can regeneratewhen neither of it's counterparts can?
Because neither wolves nor humans can shapeshift, and werewolves can. The way I see it, the regeneration ability has always come from the shapeshifting.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

My thumb is back, baby!

Post by Scott Gardener »

I am generally an advocate of "soft regeneration"--the ability to heal cuts in a day or less, or a severed finger in a month, but not a whole arm.

I used to be a bit further back, saying no abnormal recovery, just faster healing of the same wounds a normal human can recover. My basis for this was that my werewolves do not undergo rapid cellular divisions; their cells just migrate and individually transform.

But, the need for rapid healing and regenerative abilities is implied by the shapeshifting process, and, more noteworthy, I've learned from cases like the regenerating mice that it is far more plausible and genetically easy to accomplish than I had previously believed. If regeneration can be done by tweaking only a few genes, then it's an easy thing to throw in with the far more complicated process of transformation into another mammal. And, it keeps the werewolf alive during the shifting process.

I've also reconsidered enhanced strength on a related note, since people with enhanced strength have turned up from a single gene anomoly--a failure of a gene that allows muscles to atrophy with disuse--though boosting strength is not as essential for survival, just a nice perk. If werewolves were engineered to be superior, enhanced strength probably would be there. If they just randomly happened, or were engineered to be werewolves regardless of human desires, probably not.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lone_Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Maybe some gashes or broken bones, but I think regeneration of limbs, might be a bit too much.
00airknight
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The cool guy

Post by 00airknight »

Were wolves can regerate but not at that very second. If you were to cut it (badly) it could regenerate if it had food in its belly to make up for the lost skin. it would heal slowly but faster than human. they can heal cuts pretty fast though. but you would need lots of nutrients if you lost your arm so it would be slower than a scratch because it would need time to get the nutrients. but also it depends on the wolf. if it was a wolflord then it heal much faster. newbie were wolves would not heal very fast because they are not experienced at being werewolves. It also depends on how naturally adapted they are to being a were wolf. So they can regenerate just not quickly.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Hey do to a rescent Silver Lightsabre question I have a question. What would happen if the werewolf who lost his arm or whatever had his/her arm cauterized(to burn blood dry to keep wound from infecting also seals blood vessels and kills uper layer of were it was burned) to stop the bleading or because of some crazy lighsabre wielding maniac was on the loose *cough* Shaun *cough*
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Fenrir wrote:Hey do to a rescent Silver Lightsabre question I have a question. What would happen if the werewolf who lost his arm or whatever had his/her arm cauterized(to burn blood dry to keep wound from infecting also seals blood vessels and kills uper layer of were it was burned) to stop the bleading or because of some crazy lighsabre wielding maniac was on the loose *cough* Shaun *cough*
Well that depends on if it could regenerate limbs normally. If it were magical regeneration, I doubt the cauterization would have any real effect on it.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

hmm, this seems simi-relivant. Probibly discussed before, but, if so, please point me to the approapriate thread.

Could a werewolf actually have scars, tatoos, or piercings? Or acne? Or tie fungus?

edit: ment toe fungus
Last edited by Timber-WoIf on Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Timber-WoIf wrote: Could a werewolf actually have scars, tatoos, or piercings? Or acne? Or tie fungus?

While I'm not sure what tie fungus is...I think I'll take a stab at this one.

I don't think werewolves would scar. If a new werewolf did have a scar, I think one shift would probably take care of it.

Same applies to acne. They might get it in their human form, but if they shifted to gestalt or wolf and then back to human, it would be gone.

Tattoos would go away with a handful of shifts.

Piercings, depending on where they are, could potentially be retained.

If you think about it, this kinda makes sense. Complications could arise, of course. Such as a new werewolf with tattoos and scars would all of a sudden lose them, which could arouse suspicion. But, IMO, this only adds to the drama, and makes it way more fun.

All just IMO of course.

:D
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Excelsia wrote:Tattoos would go away with a handful of shifts.
Ok...why? The ink is under the skin, that's what makes them permanent. It's still in your body when you shift. If they lose tattoos after a few shifts then where does the ink go? It doesn't disappear when a normal human grows new skin cells because of where it's placed. Why then would a werewolf lose their tattoos?