The place for anything at all...
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Human Dolphin Transformation Video

Post by WolvenOne »

Hiya folks, long time no see I know.

Just thought I'd let you know that an artist I know of has created a higly detailed movie of a human woman transforming into a dolphin. It's not entirly on topic, but I thought it looked like a good example of what many of you may have in mind for the transformation scene.

To be honest, although this video does a lot of things right, I think the artist still could have done better. My main complaint being the skin didn't really change color and consistency and such until well into the body being re-shaped. I've often thought that the changing shape of the body should be something that begins a little later, and that more subtle changes such as fur, skin texture, etc, should be one of the earlier things to happen.

Oh, fair warning, there is some toplessness in this video. Though it's fairly brief and isn't really flaunted to speak.

Now, with all that being said, you can view the video....

Here -> http://gryf.feathers.net/seachange1.mov

Enjoy
artman
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by artman »

Thanks for the link. Very interesting morph.

JBriscoe
ReQuest Entertainment VP
ANTIcarrot.
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by ANTIcarrot. »

Made me think of the Paris werewolf's knees bending forward. A very well rendered transformation sequence, but some of the anatomy details seemed wrong. Than again though, what do you expect half way through a transformation sequence!
:lol:

ANTIcarrot.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well... I may have a good idea how a werewolf transformation should look, but, a were-dolphin, well, I'm afraid I have no clue how a were dolphin transformation should look.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

WolvenOne wrote:Well... I may have a good idea how a werewolf transformation should look, but, a were-dolphin, well, I'm afraid I have no clue how a were dolphin transformation should look.
We are in the same boat, you and I.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It was a first for me as well. Somehow I doubt that the weredolphin's nose would stretch all the way to the back of their head to form a blowhole like that, but again, who knows?

I guess my only real gripe would be that the woman's body parts shifted individually. We were treated to the full transformation of her dorsal fin, then it reverted to another part of her body which had fully human features. For it to have been more realistic, I think all the transformation angles should have been cut in half and reorganized so that, instead of watching how every part of her body transforms one at a time, we would see all the beginning signs of transformation, then further through the video revisit the different angles to see the remainder of the transformation. It would still be the same video, but the scattered sequences might give it more of a feel that she is shifting all at once instead of just getting the Animorphs cover treatment.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

That was both fantastic and really bizzare. I agree with the suggestion that it should have all happened at once, rather than the fin first, then the hand, etc.

The nose stretching back makes sense to me,(being as that is really what it is), however, what amazes me is how the transformation from one beautiful creature to another would have such a frightening, grotesque Mid-Stage.

The bubbling flesh was a little unsettling to me... :P

Otherwise, that sequence was amazing. Comparing it to the lame effects in"Animorphs" is an insult. Though I can see the similarities, the difference in quality is undeniable.

Edit: There was one thing that bothered me more than the "bubbling flesh".
ANTIcarrot wrote: Made me think of the Paris werewolf's knees bending forward. A very well rendered transformation sequence, but some of the anatomy details seemed wrong.
I'm not sure if this is what ANTIcarrot was talking about, but I noticed that the "tail" seemed to grow out of the rear seperate, while the legs (mostly unshown) were silently absorbed into the body and dissapeared.

Now, unless I am mistaken, I believe that the so called "Tail" is actually the equivilent of the creatures Legs, fused together, and the "fins",(if you look at a skeleton), are actually flattened feet.
(I think I remember seeing a science program that said that Dolphins and Whales evolved from land mammals which looked very much like Dogs and Cattle.)

I find these kinds of anitomical errors, (including the "reversing knees"), very hard to forgive. It is not that hard to do a bit of reasearch before working on a project like that to mantain reasonable accuracy.

I really hope that the SFX crew at Re-Quest Entertainment do their homework before creating the Shifting effects. I dont wan't to see any backwards biology in this film. If there is ever any uncertainty about intricate details of Wolves, ASK US.
I guarantee, somone in "The Pack" will know the answer. :wink:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

the SFX guys should definitily do thier research, either by asking us, or looking at video's such as this and examining them critically.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

Indeed... Myself, and Timothy Albee, are looking at that as well. Tim really liked the dolphin tf video.

Anthony Brownrigg
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

ABrownrigg wrote:Indeed... Myself, and Timothy Albee, are looking at that as well. Tim really liked the dolphin tf video.

Anthony Brownrigg
Did you see the video of the guy turning into a jaguar/panther, also?
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Didn't see the Were Jaguar one till now....

It's good, kinda reminds me of photo-manipulations though.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I just checked out the rest of the website. http://gryf.feathers.net

All I can say is...WOW. That is some of the best TF art I have EVER seen. :shock:

The WereJaguar was not so good though. It was obviously a set of still images, only partially sucessfully animated. The base images were great though.

This artist is clearly, extremly talented...which makes it that much more suprising to me to see certain anitomical errors repeated over and over, even in the newer stuff.(Namely, confusing a Dolphins "Tail fins" for a common "Tail")

...at least...I think that is wrong. :?

I guess I should look up dolphin biology now...just to satisfy my curiosity.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I've heard somewhere that Gryf was the person that did the original monster design for The Tooth Fairy in Darkness Falls. That might just be a rumor floating around the furry community, but judging from what I've seen of his work, it's certainly plausible.

So, what I guess I'm getting at is, indeed, he's an amazing artist.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Flipper-flopping

Post by Scott Gardener »

Actually no, it's very anatomically accurate!

A cetacean tail is not a fused pair of legs; it's an extension of the tail past the pelvis. The hind legs of dolphins are rudimentary and fully internalized.

The nose stretch is also anatomically consistant. The blowhole is the dolphin's nare.

They did their research. Before accusing them of otherwise, with all due respect, it might be advisable to do the same.

I agree that it's a bit odd to see a grotesque transformation between two beautiful forms. The bubbling flesh was perhaps unneccessary, but then again, who really knows, since this is speculative?
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Flipper-flopping

Post by Vuldari »

Scott Gardener wrote:Actually no, it's very anatomically accurate!

A cetacean tail is not a fused pair of legs; it's an extension of the tail past the pelvis. The hind legs of dolphins are rudimentary and fully internalized.

They did their research. Before accusing them of otherwise, with all due respect, it might be advisable to do the same.

My mistake. :oops:

My memory on this subject was very fuzzy... I was so sure that I was right, that I forgot that I had not done my homework either.

That IS, in fact, anitomically correct.

*puts on "dunce" hat and sits in corner* :(

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Hey, nobody is right all the time....

Well.... except for me. ;)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

To err is human, to eh-err is dolphin

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, I was slightly off as well. The hind legs aren't rudamentary; they're totally absent. Anyone else want a piece of this humble pie? It tastes like crap, but it's nutritious...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Dolphins

Post by RedWolf »

The "hind legs" of dolphins are reduced to internal vestiges. As shown at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... lphfaq.htm,

>The hind limbs have been lost, at least externally. Internally, there are some >rudiments of the pelvis and in some cases of the femur.

The transformation of a dolphin from a mammal with four legs into a streamlined aquatic creature can be observed in embryonic development. Fetal dolphins do develop legs, but the limb buds atrophy later in gestation.

See Hindlimb Development in a Dolphin at
http://darla.neoucom.edu/DLDD/interst/hindlimb/
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Now, being perfect myself, I have all sorts of room to judge.

Anybody out there who's perfect? Excepting .......you know who.......