2 - Doesn’t really care either way
28%

Total votes: 29

Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

"Thriller": Werecat or Werewolf?

Post by Jamie »

In the Michael Jackson "Thriller" music video, I've heard a number of different opinions about the creature he turns into. Mostly, it is listed as a werewolf, but it has some feline qualities and I've heard a number of people (including a couple of books) call it a werecat.
What do you think it is?
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

It's sad to say but... I haven't the faintest of what you are referring to. A link would prove to be immensely helpful.
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

You can look at the IMDB page for "Thriller" to refresh your memory. I think nearly everyone has seen this, since it is one of the most famous music videos of all time (on a lot of "top 100" lists, even though it is old).
-Jamie Hall
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

That was before my time, never seen it, no link a viewable movie there though. : (
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

I don't want to associate Michael Jackson with myself so I'm saying a really funky werewolf.
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

From what I remember, I thought he turned into a funky werewolf. I need to watch it again to be sure though.

At this play thing I went to a couple years ago, they showed this music video. Right before Jackson transformed, he told the girl he was with 'I'm not like other guys'. Everyone then started laughing at that point :lol:
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

http://fanlistings.piranho.com/Thriller/

Was the only pic i could find..I personally have never seen the video...so *shrug* but I can't tell what that is...surfice to say that the transformation Jackson underwent in the years following this video were much creepier than the music video will ever be... :D
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

It had very long whiskers and claws so I say werecat. No, Werepanther. :wink:
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I kinda thought it was a werewolf, but I don't know.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

It was a werepanther. In subsequent videos he had a panther prowling around (since he also owns a tiger, I presume the panther was either his or belonged to someone he knew and grandfathered in). They played it up as if it were a classic werewolf, but if you see the sculptures to make the molds, sans hair, it's distinctly feline.
ImageImageImageImage
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

vrikasatma wrote:It was a werepanther. In subsequent videos he had a panther prowling around (since he also owns a tiger, I presume the panther was either his or belonged to someone he knew and grandfathered in). They played it up as if it were a classic werewolf, but if you see the sculptures to make the molds, sans hair, it's distinctly feline.
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the slotted eyes yet...a feature exclusive to felines and reptiles, if I am not mistaken.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I always thought it was a werecat when i 1st saw it. Not sure now. :?
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

The whiskers made it look like a were-cat. :P
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Vuldari wrote:I'm suprised no one has mentioned the slotted eyes yet...a feature exclusive to felines and reptiles, if I am not mistaken.
*nods* That's the real give-away. Eyes like that are not necessarilly exclusive to felines and reptiles, but most people associate them as being a trait of felines.
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

Okay, I'm going to end this debate right now (if you can call it that). Besides the obvious feline physical features of the beast, i.e., slitted eyes and whiskers that grow from his facial cheeks, the director himself has said in the documentary for making this video (and in subsequent interviews) that Michael does indeed turn into a wereCAT, not a werewolf. As most people know, the director of "Thriller" was John Landis, who also directed "American Werewolf in London" (as well as the comedies "Animal House" and "The Blues Brothers"). Michael specifically hired John after watching "AWIL" cos he liked the TF.
Bill: "I'm looking for my wife."
Marsha: "....Why?"
--"The Howling"
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Howling Fan wrote: the director himself has said in the documentary for making this video (and in subsequent interviews) that Michael does indeed turn into a wereCAT, not a werewolf.
Where can I see that documentary? Is it an extra on some DVD, or do I have to wait for it to be shown on TV?
-Jamie Hall
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

I saw this documentary in Music Appreciation Class in junior high, which was about 15 years ago. I think it was simply called "The Making of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller.'" It might still be floating around somewhere at an obscure video store (you won't find it in Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, et al.). I also don't think it ever went to DVD. The funniest part of the video is when John Landis tells Jackson, "Pretend like it hurts, Michael," when he's shooting the TF scene, and Michael simply goes "Ahhhh," like a little school girl. Eventually, Landis admitted that they just completely removed his voice and substituted it with a sound effect for the beastly scream.
Bill: "I'm looking for my wife."
Marsha: "....Why?"
--"The Howling"
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote:I'm suprised no one has mentioned the slotted eyes yet...a feature exclusive to felines and reptiles, if I am not mistaken.
IIRC, foxes have vertical slits for pupils as well.

Edit:
Last edited by Lupin on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Howling Fan wrote:Okay, I'm going to end this debate right now (if you can call it that). Besides the obvious feline physical features of the beast, i.e., slitted eyes and whiskers that grow from his facial cheeks, the director himself has said in the documentary for making this video (and in subsequent interviews) that Michael does indeed turn into a wereCAT, not a werewolf. As most people know, the director of "Thriller" was John Landis, who also directed "American Werewolf in London" (as well as the comedies "Animal House" and "The Blues Brothers"). Michael specifically hired John after watching "AWIL" cos he liked the TF.

Its good to know these things.

I knew it was a werewcat from the begining.
Last edited by Figarou on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

And panthers don't have the slitted eyes. Only the small cats do.
I've seen a number of art- and movie-werewolves with the slitted eyes, most notably G'mork from Neverending Story.
ImageImageImageImage
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:
IIRC, foxes have vertical slits for pupils as well.
http://lupin.nonexiste.net/pupil17md.jpg
*cough*

...oh yeah...I knew that... Image
(Being the Vulpine Fan that I am and all)

...it just "slipped my mind"...yeah...that's it.

Like I said. "...if I am not mistaken..."

I guess I was. Image

(I have a FOX photo/poster on my wall [bigger than my WOLF one] and I've noticed the eyes before, but never really thought anything of it. I've never even remembered to implement it into any of my Fox drawings.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Its SUPPOSE to be a werewolf. :roll: Unfortanately they didnt add a muzzle, anyway I saw the making of the video waaaay back when I was a wee little lad, and they were talkling about the werewolf Micheal Jackson on Thriller.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

On the set, there was a guy with a hand-pump, just pumping like hell (thats the part of the transformation were the whiskers grow out, and stuff like that). Its all done like that. :D
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Its SUPPOSE to be a werewolf. :roll:
I don't see how you can say that if the director that made the video said he turns into a werecat.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Looks indeed pretty round... Hmmmm... Didn't know that...