Should Werewolves Have Tails?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should Werewolves Have Tails?

It's a must!
93%
I think it looks dumb
1%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
6%

Total votes: 152

neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

Thats the problem cells can't grow that fast and you can't create enough energy to magically create the material.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Werewolves should have Tails when they're in Full formal wear, along with a cummerbund, Top Hat, and spats.

:richwolf:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

neoritter wrote:Thats the problem cells can't grow that fast and you can't create enough energy to magically create the material.
Can't?

really...can't?

I'll just S'Cry'ed matter and make me a werewolf.

Or summon the energy from the Oblivian plane of creation and turn the energy into matter and add that matter onto my own body as I magically transmutate into a werewolf.

As for cells not being able to grow fast, tell that to the Venus Flytrap.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

Rhuen wrote:
neoritter wrote:Thats the problem cells can't grow that fast and you can't create enough energy to magically create the material.
Can't?

really...can't?

I'll just S'Cry'ed matter and make me a werewolf.

Or summon the energy from the Oblivian plane of creation and turn the energy into matter and add that matter onto my own body as I magically transmutate into a werewolf.

As for cells not being able to grow fast, tell that to the Venus Flytrap.
Is a wolf a venus flytrap? no. That aside, the amount of caloric energy needed to rapidly create cells would burn out the person, the cells have to have some sort of biological matter to create themselves with. Now you can create that matter by converting energy into a matter, but that would take far greater amounts of energy. Already realizing that werewolfs are pretty impossible, I am trying to keep it as simple as possible when they transform. Hence, no tail. Thats added material that wasn't there before.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

neoritter

...it is a simple matter of (Probable) fact that it is impossible to convert a creature that is not designed to transform (a Human) into one that does just that...tail or not...by merely introducing some sort of transmutive agent into thier body. (via bite, etc.)

Long story short...werewolves CAN NOT exist in the way we like to see them.

...but we Want To see them that way.

It has been made painfully clear in many conversations prior to this one (some very heated) that if we were to stick strictly to what is REALLY possible...all our werewolves would be really boring and not cool at all.

So...for each incarnation, we choose to bend the laws of physics and biology in one or more crucial ways. Once we have concluded that, in the universe that the werewolf in question exists in, *THIS* (*fill in whatever is needed*), is possible, then we go ahead and devise how the proccess would progress from there, assuming that it DOES work that way (even if it doesn't in R.L.).

That said...clearly the existance of a tail on a werewolf is undesireable to you, due to the fact that the inherant biological/physical difficutlies that would have to be overcome are just too extreme to be passable...in your opinion.
(...as well as the 'defining feature' aspect on transformations that could be mistaken for normal wolves, as has been included in some legends...)

Noted.

Considering how many Werewolf Movies, Novels and artistic representations have NOT included that perticular feature, you are in good company for maintining that opinion.

...however...

There are numerous symbolic and aesthetic reasons why many others prefer it to be there anyway, which to them (including myself) are good enough to warrant stretching the rules just a little bit more in order for it to exist.

Overall, the insistance that it should not be there because it would be impossible is as stifling to the exploration of the potential of the character as my own tired insistance that werewolves that get bigger when they transform can not exist either.

...as much as either of us may not like it. ...both have thier legitimate excuses to exist in the genre whenever the creator desires it. It has it's place and purpose.
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
werewolfprincess01

Post by werewolfprincess01 »

the tail really is a must for a werewolf. otherwise it looks like the werewolf off the tales from the crypt werewolf episode. :howl:  :oo
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I agree with Vuldari...if we stuck to science, then werewolves would simply -not- exist. Not in my opinion, despite the tadpole to toad metamorphism, despite all the genetic study one might come up with. A tail is just as impossible as an elgonated jaw and snout and ears...oh and not to mention actual wolf fur...and all this growing rather rapidly.

But I think the question is whether you prefer them to have tails (not including science) or not...and if you don't like tails, then that's as valid an opinion as anyone else :D

But I don't agree with ya :P -waves a tail in your face- :wagtail:

werewolfprincess01 wrote:the tail really is a must for a werewolf. otherwise it looks like the werewolf off the tales from the crypt werewolf episode. :howl:  :oo
Dang...and I always waited around to see that ... childish horror it might be, but a werewolf nonetheless. I always wanted to see the design. I bet it's bad huh?
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
KitWolf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by KitWolf »

Absolutely. Werewolves without tails really piss me off. Its rare to see a werewolf film in which the werewolves have tails :(
STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC
Legendary
Legendary

Post by STARWOLF_THE_MYSTIC »

I think they should have a tail.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

STW, you know that you might want to expand on your answers, go more indepth. You're sorta just spamming for the sake of spam, if that is how you think and don't want to expand on it, then just vote on the ones that have a vote, like this one. :thpt2:

and for Pete's sake, don't spam for the sake of spam. It's sorta rude, if you have a valid point to make, make it, if not move right along

However, you did a good job in not starting new threads good job.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yes I agree with Fenrir, dont go on a posting spree with comments like that, actually type something worth reading every once in a while, please.

Thank you. :)
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
KaninZ

Post by KaninZ »

Yes, werewolves should have tails. To touch on another subject that some folks seem rather, well, touchy about. Male werewolves should have lupine genetalia. Female werewolves should have multiple breasts and female genitalia.
I'm not talking a furry John Holmes here, or a fluffy Dolly Parton, but a realistic representation of what you see on Animal Planet or every time you watch a Frisbee catching competition. There's nothing "ickky" or "dirty" about it...it's just a true representation and anything else is just one more speed-bump on the way to me "suspending my disbelief" so I can enjoy the story.
When a werewolf is shown full frontal and is smooth as a Ken doll, all that does is make me laugh at people who try to apply skewed human morality to the beauty of nature. :P
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Fenrir wrote:STW, you know that you might want to expand on your answers, go more indepth. You're sorta just spamming for the sake of spam, if that is how you think and don't want to expand on it, then just vote on the ones that have a vote, like this one. :thpt2:

and for Pete's sake, don't spam for the sake of spam. It's sorta rude, if you have a valid point to make, make it, if not move right along

However, you did a good job in not starting new threads good job.
Starwolf does seem to do a lot of posting and not a lot of saying anything.
In fact, he's just short of really spamming. Perhaps he's a newby on the 'net, and just in over his head.

As to Werewolf tails, yes! There are a few potential scenarios that would support a Were' with a tail >strongest: It stays when the Wolf reverts, kinda' like a greyhound's tail. When the Wolf shifts, I fuzzes up. Otherwise, there's only the "switching body" format, where the Werewolf body is stored in Hyperspace. Don't forget the claim check.

Fact is, It isn't scientific, but it is the most aesthetic, for the Werewolf to have a tail... however it's managed.

Edit: After thinking about it, if there are no tails; it'll be a real disappointment.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

I think, when it all comes down to dust, any shifting is going to take an energy that's not understandable. So, I say with hands, feet, head, fur, teeth, and claws, what's a tail more?

I have dogs - one with a stub and one with the new 1/4 tail they have for dogs that have brittle tails. The tail, even a little one, is better. It's such a part of the personality, the body language. And when you don't have a spoken language, the tail's pretty important IMO. And they're pretty!

Besides, i can't picture a wolf without a tail. If I become a werewolf, I want a tail in gestalt form as well as wolf form.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Ancient thread at this point, perhaps one of the oldest. 126 to 1, with 6 neutrals. If this were eBay feedback, I'd buy from this guy.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Motsiewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: *thinking*

Post by Motsiewolf »

I think they have tails cause when they change, they form into wolves (if we are talking about only werewolves). I don't like the whole half human half wolf thing. I guess they could live without tails like dogs who get their tails cut off. :P
In_Cruce_Salus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by In_Cruce_Salus »

Well, for most tailed creatures the tail is a very important limb. Not only does it help with communication, but it aids in balance when running. Any werewolf without a tail would either be a gestalt-only werewolf, or would be extremely clumsy as a four-legger.
Initial Here: ___
Here: ___
And Here: ___

Sign on the dotted line: .................................
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Scott Gardener wrote:Ancient thread at this point, perhaps one of the oldest. 126 to 1, with 6 neutrals. If this were eBay feedback, I'd buy from this guy.
Yes, but ancient thread like this keep the general "omgz shuld wwolfs haev tailz????" threads out.

Now, looking at the large number of yesses... This is definitely an indication hat anyone makin' a werewolf movie without a tail s'got something missing...

yay for AB!
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I still think tails are just a add on. And its very shallow of people to say that werewolves must have tails. You all forget that some werewolves wouldnt look good with tails (ah la underworld lycan). It all depends on the design, if it has a very wolfish look to it with fur and everything then by all menas have the tail. Otherwise its better to leave it with no tails.

It seems to me that whenever someone here thinks of werewolves they automaticaly think of Goldenwolfs or Jaime Sidor design or other anthro/furry artist. I on the other hand think much different from everyone else including goldenwolf and lobo leo, I like variety .Yes I do wish to see more werewolves with tails in movies, but god forbid to have every werewolf design with a tail, we have enough of that in art and games. True we rarely seen werewolves with tails in movies, but do we really want to see a furture where rarely any werewolves have no tails? Think about it.
Last edited by Shadow Wulf on Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

you have a good point. It's just that the current trend is "no tails" so we want to see something different... variety is indeed important.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I agree that from a movie standpoint, having a tail is the exception we're wanting to see. I also support Shadow Wulf's argument. I'm still a tail proponent myself.

But, ultimately, I think there are more important aspects of lycanthropy to address than whether or not they have a tail, like whether or not they have a tale.

Cosmetic details is fun to dicker over, and we all have our ideals. It is indeed remarkable how so many of us do tend to favor the Goldenwolf / Jamie Sydor look; I even refer to that image as the "Consensus werewolf," because of its heavy endorsement by werewolf fandom, particularly therians. (Not saying it's a universal consensus, mind you, but a strong pleurality one, to the point of being archetypal.)

But really, in essence, debates about motivation and purpose are much more meaningful to me than whether or not one has a fluffy appendage coming out one's buttocks.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Wolves have tails, so why not their cousins, the Werewolves? We humans DO have tails as we develop in the womb, but after a point we grow and it stops. :cry:
If Were's don't have fully articulated Big Toes, then they really need
tails for balance and manuvering.
Try this: Take any of the Werewolf Avatars here, and delete the tail by covering it. The picture loses half its impact.
Imagine Figarou sans tail. :lol: Pathetic! Were's need to have tails, or they're just not believable. :lol:
nachoboy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The hip-hoppinest, nacho-lovinest lycanthrope

Post by nachoboy »

i personally think that tails are a must when it comes to werewolves.

they're important limbs, and wolves have 'em, and i dunno, i don't think werewolves look good without 'em, knamean?
DENNY COLEMAN IS KING!
"It is a widely known fact that ALL werewolves love Malt-o-Meal."
http://djnacho.deviantart.com
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Here is just a random thought that crossed my mind just now...

Tails are an Aesthetically pleasing feature. They balance the look, and overall shape of most creatures that have them.

When I think about it...the only werewolves that look worse with the addition of a Tail are "UGLY", disgusting, demonic, and/or featureless* (*nearly indistinguishable from an ordinary human) Werewolves.

Aesthetically pleasing werewolves, Like the ones in "Van Helsing", can look good without it, but most of us here would agree would have looked better with.

It's only when the werewolf looks really unnaturally freaky (or boring) that the expressive, animalistic appendage looks out of place...unless it is as freaky looking as the rest of it, like in "Ginger Snaps".

(...at least...that is my observation at 1:34 AM. Maybe in the morning I will think of an exception that disproves the point. I don't know...I need to go to bed)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

RedEye wrote:Try this: Take any of the Werewolf Avatars here, and delete the tail by covering it. The picture loses half its impact.
Too right... I had to crop
<------ this picture down a bit to make it fit the avatar size restriction, and it doesn't quite look right with half the guy's tail out of shot.