Should Werewolves Have Tails?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should Werewolves Have Tails?

It's a must!
93%
I think it looks dumb
1%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
6%

Total votes: 152

Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Figarou wrote:
Silverfang wrote:In my opinion, the tail is essenial, ok when a werewolf is standing on 2 paws it may not affect its sence of balance as much but when he / she is on all fours , then it helps in changing directions faster when running. Also it's used in comunications in wolf packs.

Of course.

The tail is not used to maintain balance for standing on 2 legs.

Now, let me ask you this.

Would the tail have the opposite effect if he wagged it? Would it throw him to the ground? Of course not. If it was used to keep him balanced, then that tail would have to be big and heavy.
I don't see how I can explain this any better without showing you. Big doesn't always mean heavy. I said it before the tail would be heavier than a wolf's tail but not so heavy a human couldn't easily lift it. Length can make up for weight as well, the tail would be larger for a werewolf anyway since it is so large in the first place. Look at your figure of Talbain for an example of a larger tailed werewolf, now a real one wouldn't have to be that big but it sort of shows my point. The tail does help to maintain a semi-hunched over position, the larger leg muscles also help it.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Good show Blade-of-the-Moon. :D
Feral
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Feral »

Of course they should have tails! i'm glad there's such a consensus on this. in "american werewolf in paris" *shudder* they looked like some sort of disgusting monkey things. i picture a hybrid wolf/human form as standing and probably walking on two legs, but running on all fours (or at least leaning far forward when they run) which is where the tail would come in handy. It would also be useful if their walking gait leans forward.

As has been said, the tail doesn't have to be "heavy" -- its length gives it leverage, even though it's relatively light. Maybe the effect would be barely noticeable if the creature were just standing, but if he's sprinting at a full tilt, trying to keep up with a zig-zagging deer, the slight increase in turning power could be a life saver (not for the deer, of course).
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I bet there is a reason why hollywood doesn't include a tail. What exactly does the tail do when reverting back to a human form?

Does it...

1 Fall off.

2 revert back inside the body? Or

3. still there but it hairless form?

Having a tail in hairless form will be uncomfortable while wearing clothes. One could just "tuck it in."
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Well, when I revert back, it shrinks back inside my body :lol:
I think that is the most realistic of them.
Maybe their could be some werewolf disorders were the tail just looses fur and stays their in human form. Not something you would want to develop. A little akward to have, especially if you could still wag it and such. It would go numb and sore it cramed in your pants after a while :cry:
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Hey all, just joined up. :shift: And yes, I agree, a tail is a must have.
Khuwwa
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Khuwwa »

Hello as well, I realize this is all way too late for the purposes of movie feedback, but just figured to put it because this place is staying active afterwards.
Yes, I think tails are essential. I like them long too, but think it would be more realistic to have a shortened tail, in half-way point (Gestalt, I hear you calling it). Full-length in full wolf form.
I don't think there should be any difference between male and female, though. That's just weird.
And as for the transformation back to human... I think the tail would just shrink back, exactly the way it grew, but backwards.
But just another blurb: Everyone's saying the tail would be hairless if it remained in human form. But wasn't the 10th Kingdom fun? :P :D
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Z wrote:I've always hated movies that depicted werewolves without tails. humans already have tailbones to begin with but no muzzle to speak of, yet the movie creators think we'd grow a long muzzle out of nowhere and yet no tail? we would sooner grow a tail then a muzzle since we always have the base for one, and since some poeple are born with tails, but nobody has ever been born with a muzzle.
You make an excellent point. :D
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I find it more than a little amusing that the poll has truned out so heavily in the favor of Werewolves with Tails. 72 votes YES, Zero votes for NO, and only 1 ,'I Don't Care'.

If you asked ANY Hollywood film dirrector, they NEVER would have predicted that outcome.

Werewolf fans are clearly of a very different breed. Image :wagtail:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

how can we not want the tail...its an essential part to the way the wolf/werewolf looks......plus it looks cute also :D

a werewolf without a tail is like an airplane without wings..... :lol:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

White Paw wrote:how can we not want the tail...its an essential part to the way the wolf/werewolf looks......plus it looks cute also :D

a werewolf without a tail is like an airplane without wings..... :lol:
No argument here.

I am the one who created the "Tail Wag" animation after all. Image
(Shameless Self-Plug)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Tails are sexy! Especially big floofy ones! :}
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

MattSullivan wrote:Tails are sexy! Especially big floofy ones! :}
looks like someone has a tail fetish J/K :lol:
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Yes. Yes i do :}
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

:o
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself

Post by lupine »

Don't really mind either way, Iv'e been through this with shadow wulf on another thread, and to be honest, it's not something I've really noticed. I think mainly because, with a lot of movies your distracted by the action sequences too much to get a good look. Obviously there are exceptions to this, ie. Underworld and Van Helsing, but even then I honestly have never taken much notice. I think if done right, the tail can look good but did the Wolf in American werewolf in London have a tail? Not sure it did, but did it detract from the werewolf design? That said, the werewolves in the sequel didn't have tails and they just ended up looking like pi**ed off monkeys (the facial features didn't help tho).
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Yes, they should have tails :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Figarou wrote:

Yeah, I like them too :lol:
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Tails, HELL YES 8)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

MattSullivan wrote:Yes. Yes i do :}

You just won some cool points. :wolfkiss:
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

hehe. Thanks Set.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Tails are sexy! Especially big floofy ones! :}
Agreed.
:D
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

there cool, maybe sexy but who the hell knows? im open minded on this one :D
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

If I had a big ol floofy tail, I'dshove it in people's faces and tell them "I use Perm! no fancy-a** product for my butt-extension, nosirree!"