Should Werewolves Have Tails?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should Werewolves Have Tails?

It's a must!
93%
I think it looks dumb
1%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
6%

Total votes: 152

White Paw

Post by White Paw »

what would be irritating about seeing an tail..... :?
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Or maybe 'serious directors' of movies just see the tail as comical and not scary. Though Im not sure why... :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

MoonKit wrote:Or maybe 'serious directors' of movies just see the tail as comical and not scary. Though Im not sure why... :P
I can see that.

I just imagine a scenario where they are setting up an action shot with a werewolf, originally intending it to have a tail, and when the stuntman walks out with all the prosthetics on, and a long tail wiggling around on the back... some of the film crew on set start giggling about it.

...finally, the actor comes out and says, "allright seriously...this just feels wierd and it totally messes up all my movements...can we just loose the tail?".

*Art and film dirrectors mutter to one another*

"Allright...the tail isn't working. MAKEUP!!!... take off the tail and let's shoot that scene again. ...PLACES EVERYONE..."
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

:lol:
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

My question earlier was legitimate, and serious. If someone were to stroke the tail of another werewolf, is that sexual assult (like pinching someone's butt)? I'm curious what kind of social acceptance the tail would have as far as physical contact. Seeing as it's there due to the elongation of the spinal cord, it could be like a portion of the back. The skin and fur around the bone protrude from near the anus, thus might also be considered part of the butt, and unacceptable for touching without intimate approval.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Kaebora wrote:My question earlier was legitimate, and serious. If someone were to stroke the tail of another werewolf, is that sexual assult (like pinching someone's butt)? I'm curious what kind of social acceptance the tail would have as far as physical contact. Seeing as it's there due to the elongation of the spinal cord, it could be like a portion of the back. The skin and fur around the bone protrude from near the anus, thus might also be considered part of the butt, and unacceptable for touching without intimate approval.
I don't really see dogs grabbing each other's tails, except in a hostile or mock-hostile (play-fighting) way. Furthermore, a lot of animals are sensitive about having their tails grabbed or pounced on (adults cats are usually annoyed when kittens do it, and all animals seem to hate it when little kids do it). So I think that, purely from an animal perspective, it might be a no-no to go around taking a hold of others' tails.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Kaebora wrote:My question earlier was legitimate, and serious. If someone were to stroke the tail of another werewolf, is that sexual assult (like pinching someone's butt)? I'm curious what kind of social acceptance the tail would have as far as physical contact. Seeing as it's there due to the elongation of the spinal cord, it could be like a portion of the back. The skin and fur around the bone protrude from near the anus, thus might also be considered part of the butt, and unacceptable for touching without intimate approval.
Personally...I think it would be considered to be a semi-private aria.

Not quite to the same extent as ones crotch, butt, or a womans chest, but still not cool to touch or stroke unless you knew it was okay with them.

:x *growls* "...get your filthy hands of my ****'n TAIL, you wierdo..." :x

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

Dude... *snicker* Dude, pull my tail.

No.

C'mon dude. Pull my tail. It'll be funny.

No. Go away.
Vicious_Sweetheart
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Crazy Canuck

Post by Vicious_Sweetheart »

:roflmao:
So what if you can see / the darker side of me
no one will ever change this animal I have become
Three Days Grace - Animal
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

tails=cool
so tails are neccesary
problem solved,
BACK TO BEING OFF-TOPIC!
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Miragh
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: full moon addict

Post by Miragh »

It's a bothersome annoying PAIN to see werewolves without tails! If a transformation can almost completely change the human skull I fail to see why the small triangular bone at the base of the spinal column can't become larger, longer, and furry.
Machine-Whisperer
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: At an Observational status

Post by Machine-Whisperer »

I just think,
Does it really Matter?!
Some weres look good with a tail. some look good without a tail.
Bah... Stupid Case sensitive Email. Lets try this again !
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

On the subject of a tail after reading all these posts I can say a few things.

on if to have one: Yes, a tail is part of the wolf form, and each time I have seen a full formed werewolf "IE not just wolfman make up" the lack of a tail gives it an ape like apperance, a tail would help show that its canine not ape. "same deal with over sized arms and short back legs which also bug me to no end as wolves have longer back legs than front ones: but that's a different subject"

On length: A wolf's tail is about as long as the legs but curves around the heel. A biped has longer legs for their body, so this makes a weird problem. A tail as long as the legs would make sense for balance but may give a werwolf a werecat or werefox like feel though. So I am thinking that for a normal werewolf that is meant to be a wolf a shaggy tail that reachs the calf muscles when straight would fit, but it needs to be a shaggy tail like a wolf's tail and be animate not just hanging there.
Maybe a CGI tail or something so it doesn't mess with the actors, but I may be too late arriving on the boards for movie talk to be taken too seriously.

Also I would picture a female werewolf having a more well kept tail than a male. Like combed or something "if sentient while in the transformed state"

As for retracting: I always pictured the transformation back into a human as needing to be more painful than the transformation into a werewolf, like a full body muscle contraction. The tail should shrink with the hair falling off maybe and revert back into the tail bone, but seeing as this means killing the newly grow spinal column I would imagine this hurting horribly.
Could always go the Kitsune from Japan way with it, that while in human form they still have a tail but need to hide it. Maybe not as long or as "fluffy" as when in the transformed state, but still long enough and hairy enough to need hideing.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Ookamikaze
Pack Member
Pack Member
Custom Title: The Duckie Bomber Wolf

Post by Ookamikaze »

Yes Rhuen I totally agree with you.
I'm having my stupid moment right now I'll be back in 5.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Mine always keep their tails in human form. But mine have long monkey like tails, which turn into wolf tails during shifting. (It's not from Dragonball Z, I came up with that before I got into it...the tails and shifting is why I liked it in the first place).

It has almost no scientific logic, but it's what I prefer for my stories. :lol:

As for movies, I think I've given my opinion on that somewhere on this board; I honestly forgot what I said, but no need to repeat.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Shadow_in_the_Moonlight
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Shadow_in_the_Moonlight »

every time i see a werewolf picture without a tail it makes me feel weird. its like the poor things naked. completly shed of any dignity or pride!!! hey Rhuen i think the legs just seem short because when the werewolf is on hind legs they tend tobend the knees alot.
it seems one thing that alot of people are fogetting is that werewolves are a combonation of human and wolf certain things (ex:tail) would have to be like both sides off the person. again using the tail as an example, it would not be as long on a werewolf then it would be on an actual wolf because it is part human. but on the other end of the broomstick, to have no tail or a comicly stubby one would also be wrong because the werewolf is part wolf.
"The wise ones keep far from these Deeps,
for in the shadows dwell and creep
all manner dark and sere and fair
of twilight's kith - these woods their lair."
Huntress
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: I am the one that chose my fate, i feel the anger changing me...

Post by Huntress »

The Spine should grow longer for the tail and then when changing back to human form it should get smaller. It also makes the transformation look more painful. Atleast thats wat i think
There's a soul howling for freedom...can u hear it?

neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

They could or could not. If we are making this true to what a real werewolf would be. I would say no tail then.

Most myths say that werewolves are larger than normal wolves with no tail.

I can think of a couple of reasons why a werewolf would not have a tail.
One, the lack of tail emphasizes the fact that this "wolf" is not normal.
Two, there is no tail because humans have no tail. Already a transformation like this would cause high levels of energy output (basically heat), not to mention that you can't create matter out of nothing. To make matter it requires a lot of energy. So this somewhat explains the lack of a tail and above average size of the wolf.

Now, I don't particularly care, whether there is a tail or not. But I think lack of would indicate more realism.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

neoritter wrote:They could or could not. If we are making this true to what a real werewolf would be. I would say no tail then.

Most myths say that werewolves are larger than normal wolves with no tail.

I can think of a couple of reasons why a werewolf would not have a tail.
One, the lack of tail emphasizes the fact that this "wolf" is not normal.
Two, there is no tail because humans have no tail. Already a transformation like this would cause high levels of energy output (basically heat), not to mention that you can't create matter out of nothing. To make matter it requires a lot of energy. So this somewhat explains the lack of a tail and above average size of the wolf.

Now, I don't particularly care, whether there is a tail or not. But I think lack of would indicate more realism.
The traditional werewolf minus its tail, I believe was mostly a British and French version. The Germanic versions typically had their tails, as did Eastern European and other parts of the world "although some had short tails". Most looked exactly like a wolf except for having human eyes or being smarter than a wolf, or just being much more powerful than a wolf should be.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by neoritter »

Pretty much. I think it all boil down to physics as to whether they reall had a tail or not.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Werewolves without tails? Why bother, then?
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

YA i want to feel the tail growing out of my back, i love pain that is pleasurable at the same time, That one of the reason i would like to transform in to a werewolf, the first time would hurt, but later it would be a pain that is letting you know that you are becoming somthing better.. pluse having a tail would be soo tittsss....(that means cool) :lol:
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html
Mavangark
Custom Title: I'll rip your head right off

Post by Mavangark »

Definetley. The tail helps balance the were', werewolves have a lot of bulk up top, i.e chest, head, muscle. The 'wolf should definetley have a tail. Also yes with the whole retracting tails and coccyx thing, it sort of, withers away...
HOWLLO!
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary

Post by neoritter »

Mavangark wrote:Definetley. The tail helps balance the were', werewolves have a lot of bulk up top, i.e chest, head, muscle. The 'wolf should definetley have a tail. Also yes with the whole retracting tails and coccyx thing, it sort of, withers away...
You could say that when transforming back into a human the body practices some selective cell death similar to when humans are being created in the womb. We originally have a tail and web hands and feet that normally just dies off, the cells dying and not regrowing.
StarDancer
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by StarDancer »

Placing my oppinion for *YES WEREWOLVES NEED TAILS!*
I personally agree with the whole "retracting back into spine' theory. Since it makes sense that the spinal column elongates when a werewolf transforms, then its tail would probably mostly retract, with some of that selective cellular death, with the remains probably being used up by the bodies increaced cellular metabolism for energy during transformation.

And thats my 2 Cents.