Poisons (and other topics)

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if the matter has been resolved, but I'd like to add my comments about the originally stated issues nonetheless.

Food
IMO, a werewolf (in any form) can eat anything that a wolf or human could eat. In wolf form, they could eat as much garlic or chocolate as they want, and in human form, they could eat decaying meat. And vice versa. Same applies to gestalt. By becoming a werewolf, they gain a whole new repertoire of foods they can eat, but don't lose any of their previous diet.

Mass
In my view of werewolves, a human will gain mass when going to gestalt form, but will lose mass when going to wolf form. Conservation of mass my a**.

Color
I would think that their color vision would, simply put, be somehwere between human and wolf in gestalt, and in human and wolf forms would simply be the standard human or wolf color vision.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Lupin wrote:
dnl wrote:to my Knowledge thickness would not matter becouse radiation poisioning
this is the defintion: When the energy released by a radioactive element is strong enough to dislodge[...]
Ah, but to do this it actually has to get inside the body first.

Different elements decompose in different ways. Some emit alpha particles (basicaly a helium nucleus, going really really fast) which can only travel a few cm in air, and can be stopped by a sheet of paper. That dead layer of skin cells you have makes a fairly good shield too.

Others undergo beta decay emitting an electron or positron, and a(n) (anti)neutrino. Beta decay is 10x more penitrating than alpha decay, but is only 1/10th as ionizing. It can be stopped by a sheet of metal.

Still others produce gamma radiation, which is more penitrating than both alpha and beta radiation, but is less ionizing. To shield against this, we usually use something with high mass or density such as lead or concrete.
Scorpions resist radiation mostly because their exoskeletons reflect UV light, hence the reason why they "glow" when you shine a black light on them. I think cockroachs resist radiation also because their exoskeletons can reflect UV light, but I'm not sure about this: I'll need to ask one of my roach-cultivating friends to shine a black light on theirs, and see.
Deinococcus bacteria resist radiation damage because they evolved a DNA repair mechanism designed to repair DNA that was damaged through dehydration. That the mechanism could also repair radiation-induced DNA damage was a delightful bonus.
Their ability to withstand radiation was discovered in the 1950's, when scientists were experimenting with food sterilization processes that involved irradiating food.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Excelsia wrote:I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if the matter has been resolved, but I'd like to add my comments about the originally stated issues nonetheless.

Food
IMO, a werewolf (in any form) can eat anything that a wolf or human could eat. In wolf form, they could eat as much garlic or chocolate as they want, and in human form, they could eat decaying meat.

:sickpup: Yuck!! Do you know whats in decaying meat? Lots of bacteria and viruses. Not only that, there could be fly eggs as well. Would you eat decaying meat that way? Those fly eggs will hatch inside you.

In order to eat decaying meat, you need a strong digestive system. A Turkey Vulture happens to have that.

http://www.fundwildlife.org/preybirds_vulture.html
One unique feature about the Turkey Vulture is the ability of his digestive system to kill all bacteria and viruses found in the decaying or diseased carcasses upon which he feeds. The fecal by-product from this vulture is completely sanitized in the digestive process which prevents any further spread of bacteria or viruses to other animals. Studies are currently underway involving the Turkey Vulture's marvelous ability to disinfect carcasses of rodents who carry the deadly Hantavirus.

I don't think the werewolf's regenerative ability is strong enough to kill whats in decaying meat.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Do note that strong acids have this nasty tendency to kill fly eggs.
Also, decaying meat tends not to have infectious viruses in it, unless the original animal was ill with some sort of disease.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:Do note that strong acids have this nasty tendency to kill fly eggs.
Of course. Stomach acid can kill the fly eggs and maggots. But there is a chance that a few can survive and cause Gastroenteritis.

Apokryltaros wrote:Also, decaying meat tends not to have infectious viruses in it, unless the original animal was ill with some sort of disease.

Yup..I agree.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:Do note that strong acids have this nasty tendency to kill fly eggs.
Of course. Stomach acid can kill the fly eggs and maggots. But there is a chance that a few can survive and cause Gastroenteritis.
I'm thinking that you're thinking of those certain kinds of bot fly maggots that live in the host's stomach, feeding off of blood and the surface mucus of the stomach lining. You can not get those kinds of maggots unless either the adult fly personally lays the eggs in your nose, and the hatching larvae then crawl into the nasal passage, and down the esophagus, or you kill a host, and swallow the maggots from the stomach directly.
House fly maggots, and bottle fly maggots, those maggots most commonly to be found on decaying meat, can not survive prolong immersion in liquid, acid or water.
On the other hand, given as how house and bottle fly maggots live in grossly unsanitary enivironments, one would have a very strong chance of getting gastroenteritis from eating a maggot, anyhow.
Unless one were to eat maggots that are commercially raised for fish bait.
BUT I don't recommend you do that, anyhow, as there are much safer alternatives of getting extra protein in one's diet, anyhow.
The biggest danger of eating decaying meat isn't so much of dangerous bacteria, it's the toxins produced by the bacteria that pose the greatest threat.
I once heard about this one guy who discovered (whilst he was in the grips of cancer) that once decayed meat has reached a certain age, the bacteria will have all died, and the toxins of the bacteria will have broken down, and the food is safe to eat again.
I repeat: there are much safer alternatives of getting extra proteins in one's diet.
And more sanitary ways, too.
-Calculon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Apokryltaros wrote:I once heard about this one guy who discovered (whilst he was in the grips of cancer) that once decayed meat has reached a certain age, the bacteria will have all died, and the toxins of the bacteria will have broken down, and the food is safe to eat again.
Somehow I doubt that it tastes very good at all by that point.
Last edited by Lupin on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:I once heard about this one guy who discovered (whilst he was in the grips of cancer) that once decayed meat has reached a certain age, the bacteria will have all died, and the toxins of the bacteria will have broken down, and the food is safe to eat again.
Somehow I doubt that it takes very good at all by that point.
takes? You mean tastes?

And it'll be leathery as well.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:

Actually, from what I could tell, it was all pink and mushy.
-Calculon
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

gastroenteritis better know as the stomach flu it may last for 1 to 10 days not much more than that. yes very lithel indeed. There only one way to survie it is if -if- you can find some water to drink or oral rehydration solution.

Food poisoning meby.."If you are found to have the infection, you will likely recover on your own without treatment within 2-5 days. Drink plenty of fluids to prevent becoming dehydrated."

not many deadly food poisoning bacterium for a healthy person except for
botulinum which is rarey. just drink water mostly.

on a side note:maggots are some times used by doctores to clean out wounds.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:

Why am I not suprised?
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

poisons to werewolves would probly be quite intresting, ofter there is silver, liquified silver(mercury even?) would would very good especially if you hit a vein. but like with alot of legends there is always things you can believe and things you can say "what the hell" to, such as the garlic, vampires if they ever do walk this land(and if they do now without us knowing) would more then likely not be very much harmed from garlic, maybe if its consumed but other then most likely no

but back to the topic, to the touch I would say that silver would not hurt werewolves but like before if it comes in contact with inner-organs/veins or consumed(how ever way that may be) it would more then likely harm them more then normal weapons

then their is the "five point star" legend where a five point star is supposed to make a werewolf become unable to move and hopeless, there for allowing for quick execution, this may have been originally started by many groups of religion, maybe even pagans or wiccans considering their symbol of protection is a five pointed star standing for fire, water, air, earth and spirit(did I get that right)
dnl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by dnl »

liquified silver(mercury even?)
Mythically, silver nitrate was used as a method of killing vampires, with the silver nitrate generally being injected into a bullet cartridge or used in a hypodermic needle.
silver nitrate would almost defently be poisons to werewolve it is a cauterizing agent but also a Corrosive one.
pulled this off net.

Inhalation:
Extremely destructive to tissues of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Symptoms may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting. May be absorbed into the body following inhalation with symptoms paralleling those from ingestion exposure. Dust deposits in the lungs may resemble a form of pneumoconiosis.
Ingestion:
Corrosive. Swallowing can cause severe burns of the mouth, throat, and stomach. Can cause sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea. Poison. Symptoms include pain and burning in the mouth, blackening of the skin and mucous membranes, throat, and abdomen, salivation, vomiting of black material, diarrhea, collapse, shock, coma and death.
Skin Contact:
Corrosive. Symptoms of redness, pain, and severe burn can occur.
Eye Contact:
Corrosive. Can cause blurred vision, redness, pain, severe tissue burns and eye damage.

and mercury is a heavy metal that can fuss out of the blood stream.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

So, more or less, silver nitrate would be lethal to just about anyone. :P
dnl
Legendary
Legendary

Post by dnl »

I had do this. "Ding ding ding and we have a winner god" Bruce Allmight
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:

Why am I not suprised?
I am. (Yuck)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:

Why am I not suprised?
I am. (Yuck)
And the lesson is for today is
A) Fly larvae won't grow in your stomach unless their life cycle says so
B) Never eat fly-blown food period
and most importantly,
C) FIGAROU: THROW OUT THAT MYSTERY MEAT IN YOUR REFRIDGERATOR
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:And the lesson is for today is
A) Fly larvae won't grow in your stomach unless their life cycle says so
B) Never eat fly-blown food period
and most importantly,
C) FIGAROU: THROW OUT THAT MYSTERY MEAT IN YOUR REFRIDGERATOR
What mystery meat? I eat out.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Apokryltaros wrote:A) Fly larvae won't grow in your stomach unless their life cycle says so
What about watermellon seads :grinwiggle:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Lupin wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:A) Fly larvae won't grow in your stomach unless their life cycle says so
What about watermelon seeds :grinwiggle:
Watermelon seeds die when immersed in acid.
Fun fact about watermelons: they were brought to China from Africa during the 12th century, and have become the second most beloved squash in Chinese culture (3rd and 1st are the pumpkin and bottle gourd, respectively).
Many anthropologists familiar with Chinese culture jokingly suggest that a skull can be determined if it's Chinese or not by checking for the distinctive groove in the incisors made from a lifetime of cracking watermelon seeds.
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Lupin wrote:
What about watermelon seeds :grinwiggle:
Watermelon seeds die when immersed in acid.
Fun fact about watermelons: they were brought to China from Africa during the 12th century, and have become the second most beloved squash in Chinese culture (3rd and 1st are the pumpkin and bottle gourd, respectively).
Many anthropologists familiar with Chinese culture jokingly suggest that a skull can be determined if it's Chinese or not by checking for the distinctive groove in the incisors made from a lifetime of cracking watermelon seeds.
You should know some animals are "seed-dispersers." A fruit bat is one. Also a fox can be one.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-bat.html
Fruit— Fruit-eaters are drawn by the smell of ripe fruit and are important seed-dispersers. Some seeds will not sprout unless they have passed through a bat’s digestive system. Bats are a crucial resident of healthy rain forest habitats. At the San Diego Zoo, the fruit bats are fed nectar and a variety of juicy fruits, including oranges, pears, grapes, and watermelon, as well as bananas and a bat pellet (to supplement their nutritional needs).
Now imagine a werewolf as a "seed-disperser." :D
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
You should know some animals are "seed-dispersers." A fruit bat is one. Also a fox can be one.
That's true, but we humans aren't the natural dispersers of watermelon seeds.
And fruit bats tend to squeeze out the juice from the fruit they eat, and spit out the pulp and seeds, rather than let it go through their digestive tract, so as to weigh them down.
-Calculon
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

One thing for a ww to worry about: getting worms :P
Its gonna happen soon or later if ya eat raw deer and bunnies :D

Also, they most likely wont be tempted to eat decaying meat lying around. Fresh is prefered :)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Silverclaw wrote:One thing for a ww to worry about: getting worms :P
You don't have to be a werewolf to worry about that...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Oh god, my dog had worms and when we were trying to figure out which kind it is we saw some human pics with some unexpected suprise.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image