How Does A Werewolf Walk?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

How Does A Werewolf Walk?

Only on two legs
2%
Only on all fours
3%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
94%

Total votes: 181

blackwolfhell
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Black Wolf Hell
Mood: RAR!

Re: How Does A Werewolf Walk?

Post by blackwolfhell »

which brings us to static shock.

if a werewolf sat on a cloth sofa then touched metal, would it be shocked?
Release all that you hold dear, and become the night.
Werewolves don't get high on drugs, they run

Pet's name: Heyoka
Adopt your own!
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

blackwolfhell wrote:which brings us to static shock.

if a werewolf sat on a cloth sofa then touched metal, would it be shocked?
LOL
Talk about the fur standing on end!!!

I had a werewolf in a "rp" that had that done to them in game and had everyone laughing at the time.
"looked like a big POOF BALL of fur" Being the characters extra long fur...

But really I don't see why not.. If it can happen to my dog in real life years ago then why not?

later
JonTalbain
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: J.Talbain
Mood: Happy

Post by JonTalbain »

Similer To this I reckon: Image

But they can also run/walk on two legs like a human can.
Just that they wont look like a normal human running due to there extra long legs and arms

Cheers

"All Of Us Are Gods Creatures.... Just That Some Of Us Are More Creature Than Others."

I cant get half the Codes I usually use for forums to work!!
Still adjusting to the BB anyway!
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

JonTalbain wrote:Similer To this I reckon: Image

But they can also run/walk on two legs like a human can.
Just that they wont look like a normal human running due to there extra long legs and arms

Cheers
Nice animation! Which proves my point on how werewolf's would walk on all fours, on two thou it would look ackward and out of place with regular (normal people) around. But in a pack of were's it would be considered normal.

later
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

A lot would depend on a simple bit of biology; does a Werewolf have heels when in Smoothskin?

Take a look at your own heels and understand that they are really part of your ANKLE, not your foot. It seems a simian attribute to have heels, since even monkeys who grasp with their feet have heels. 99%of the rest of the planet's fauna don't have heels; they have ankles, hocks, and feet.
Your hocks are located between your heels and the pads of your feet; up by the toes. In us, they go by the names "Instep" and "Arches".
Your real "Feet" are the padded areas up by your toes.

OKay. Enough intro. Here's my point.
IF the werewolf kept human styled feet, he'd shlep along just like anyone else. IF his feet went canid, he would glide along like a dog.
IF (as an energy-saver) the werewolf kept his canid feet even in Smoothskin, then his walk would give him away.
There would be no HEEL-STRIKE! Instead of the ususal walk; he would put his foot down and then rotate along it as he moved forward until he put his other foot down to continue the process. I suspect the difference in walk would be pretty obvious (think of the back half of a dog's body and walk for a visual).
So, they would walk differently; and to the trained eye, quite obviously. That might be a major give away (although I doubt any actors will be doing it any time soon).
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

RedEye wrote:A lot would depend on a simple bit of biology; does a Werewolf have heels when in Smoothskin?

Take a look at your own heels and understand that they are really part of your ANKLE, not your foot. It seems a simian attribute to have heels, since even monkeys who grasp with their feet have heels. 99%of the rest of the planet's fauna don't have heels; they have ankles, hocks, and feet.
Your hocks are located between your heels and the pads of your feet; up by the toes. In us, they go by the names "Instep" and "Arches".
Your real "Feet" are the padded areas up by your toes.

OKay. Enough intro. Here's my point.
IF the werewolf kept human styled feet, he'd shlep along just like anyone else. IF his feet went canid, he would glide along like a dog.
IF (as an energy-saver) the werewolf kept his canid feet even in Smoothskin, then his walk would give him away.
There would be no HEEL-STRIKE! Instead of the ususal walk; he would put his foot down and then rotate along it as he moved forward until he put his other foot down to continue the process. I suspect the difference in walk would be pretty obvious (think of the back half of a dog's body and walk for a visual).
So, they would walk differently; and to the trained eye, quite obviously. That might be a major give away (although I doubt any actors will be doing it any time soon).
Yes very true on your points but you forgot to include people like myself that don't (HEEL-STRIKE) that naturally walk on the balls of our feet.
And most trained sprinters run on the balls of their feet instead of heel toe type runners, this is what gives a sprinter their speed.

later.
blackwolfhell
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Black Wolf Hell
Mood: RAR!

Post by blackwolfhell »

I walk on the balls of my feet alot
I go barefoot everywhere, so I don't hurt myself
Release all that you hold dear, and become the night.
Werewolves don't get high on drugs, they run

Pet's name: Heyoka
Adopt your own!
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

blackwolfhell wrote:I walk on the balls of my feet alot
I go barefoot everywhere, so I don't hurt myself
:D

Yeah i walk around the house barefoot, I hate my shoes they always have my feet hurting after going to the store.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

wolf421 wrote:
Yes very true on your points but you forgot to include people like myself that don't (HEEL-STRIKE) that naturally walk on the balls of our feet.
And most trained sprinters run on the balls of their feet instead of heel toe type runners, this is what gives a sprinter their speed.

later.
Indeed; this shows the inherent higher effeciency of a digitigrade stance; regrettably though, most people can't seem to manage the stance for very long.
I blame the apes, myself; da*m flatfeet.
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

RedEye wrote:
wolf421 wrote:

later.
Indeed; this shows the inherent higher effeciency of a digitigrade stance; regrettably though, most people can't seem to manage the stance for very long.
I blame the apes, myself; da*m flatfeet.
Well I started walking like that way back some 40+ years ago as a child. And never stopped, to me it's more natural for some reason. But really it is a better way to walk (no flat feet)...

later.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I wish someone would post a youtube video of a normal person walking (not an olympic sprinter) on the balls of their feet and doing day to day activities. Either I'm not quite sure what you guys are talking about, or I can't quite picture it in my head, since the mechanically and developmentally correct method of human walking is for the heel to strike first.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Berserker wrote:I wish someone would post a youtube video of a normal person walking (not an olympic sprinter) on the balls of their feet and doing day to day activities. Either I'm not quite sure what you guys are talking about, or I can't quite picture it in my head, since the mechanically and developmentally correct method of human walking is for the heel to strike first.
Indeed, I'm mystified by this as well. The closest thing I could come up with when I searched on 'how to walk correctly' (to figure out which was right) was how shoes are apparently wrecking how we walk, with this handy chart that clearly shows heel-toe walking for both shod and unshod feet.

Which seems to say to me that "heel-toes" is correct.
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

Aki wrote:
Berserker wrote:I wish someone would post a youtube video of a normal person walking (not an olympic sprinter) on the balls of their feet and doing day to day activities. Either I'm not quite sure what you guys are talking about, or I can't quite picture it in my head, since the mechanically and developmentally correct method of human walking is for the heel to strike first.
Indeed, I'm mystified by this as well. The closest thing I could come up with when I searched on 'how to walk correctly' (to figure out which was right) was how shoes are apparently wrecking how we walk, with this handy chart that clearly shows heel-toe walking for both shod and unshod feet.

Which seems to say to me that "heel-toes" is correct.
Correct from your view, mine it's totally wrong since I have walked on the balls of my feet since I was to young to remember. It's two sides of the coin on this point. You can heads and I'll call tails. Either way we're on opposite sides on this issue.
It's all a matter of perspective as I see it.
But my old argument stays the same as before, for balance and running at higher speeds the ball of the foot is the way to go.

Later.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

im a heal to pad walker myself but i have known and seen people who are pad walkers.if you ever have the time,like say your at the mall sitting and eating lunch or at a park take notice of how people walk.pad walkers will have a little more bounce to their step ,their pads hit the ground before their heels do and in some cases the heel barely hits the ground.i read on article somewhere about how people walk(think it was yahoo),the ways people walk and how these two ways of walking affect our feet and legs,muscles and joints.wish i could find it.oh well . :)
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

If you watch MMA or boxing matches and even kick boxing matches, you'll see most of then are pad walkers also. And they are the ones that move very quickly around the ring. Outside of the ring most people that walk on the balls of their feet almost glide as they walk and cover ground quicker than most heel toe walkers.

later bed time for bonzo....lol
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

wolf421 wrote: It's all a matter of perspective as I see it.
You can't really 'matter of perspective' biomechanics. There are certain ways things are supposed to work. I can say my sitting posture is totally fine but if my chiropractor goes "Hey, no, stop that" it's not because he has a different perspective, it's because I'm f*** up my back.
But my old argument stays the same as before, for balance and running at higher speeds the ball of the foot is the way to go.

Later.
I'm pretty sure no one is questioning that. I can't think of anyone who runs heel-toe rather than on the balls of their feet. It's walking where heel-toe is used since purely moving on the balls of your feet doesn't do so great for balance at low speeds as you have less surface to balance with.
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

very true in some respects. At low speed (normal walking speed) walking on the balls of the feet can cause some balance issues. But most people that have been walking that way Like I have for over 40+ years tend to learn "how to balance" usually very young. Thus the ones with balance issues are those that started walking that way much later in life and not while still a child.

later
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

So is there a traditionalist rule against werewolves standing flat on their feet to rest their balance (and possibly look like a slight joke)? Surely you can't expect them to stand on all fours even for delicate tasks like operating on people.
Wingman
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Dastardly ne'er-do-well in search of a lickspittle

Post by Wingman »

Sevena wrote:im a heal to pad walker myself but i have known and seen people who are pad walkers.if you ever have the time,like say your at the mall sitting and eating lunch or at a park take notice of how people walk.pad walkers will have a little more bounce to their step ,their pads hit the ground before their heels do and in some cases the heel barely hits the ground.i read on article somewhere about how people walk(think it was yahoo),the ways people walk and how these two ways of walking affect our feet and legs,muscles and joints.wish i could find it.oh well . :)
I've noticed this myself, while walking around places with plenty of other people. I've got quite a bit more vertical movement going on than other people. Unless I'm being sneaky, in which case I apparently seem to be a serial killer. I've noticed it before, especially when there's only one or two people on the road and they're walking along with 'flop, flop, flop' and 'clack, clack, clack', and I'm not making any noise at all except when I accidentally kick a rock and send it bouncing along. It seems to unnerve people.

I have noticed that I go through shoes faster than most other people seem to, in 2007 and 2008 I practically demolished at least 10 pairs of shoes, because they're built of cheap rubber that didn't like bending the way I was walking. A couple split right across the middle, or developed some serious holes. I also turned my $160 Harley boots into flip flops this way, since I was straining the backs of them more than they were intended to, and they separated from the soles.

I've since learned to be a bit easier on my shoes, since I noticed I could spend the money on better stuff, like food. Though, for quite a few years before that I'd had rather painful ankle, knee, and hip problems. Apparently I was walking with my feet held in such a way that bones were grinding together, more or less. The problem was also compounding itself, after walking a bit the pain made me walk even weirder, which made it hurt more, and so forth. Then I realized what I was doing wrong, my feet never hurt when I'd run, even if it was a couple kilometers, even though I might not be able to walk more than fifty feet without wincing. So I started walking the way I ran, on the balls of my feet, and it's probably the healthiest decision I've ever made, right up there with refraining from deep-frying my chocolate bars.
http://stevebot-7.deviantart.com/
Quod sumus hoc eritis

Aspirant writer-artist.
wolf421
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by wolf421 »

Wingman wrote:
Sevena wrote:im a heal to pad walker myself but i have known and seen people who are pad walkers.if you ever have the time,like say your at the mall sitting and eating lunch or at a park take notice of how people walk.pad walkers will have a little more bounce to their step ,their pads hit the ground before their heels do and in some cases the heel barely hits the ground.i read on article somewhere about how people walk(think it was yahoo),the ways people walk and how these two ways of walking affect our feet and legs,muscles and joints.wish i could find it.oh well . :)
I've noticed this myself, while walking around places with plenty of other people. I've got quite a bit more vertical movement going on than other people. Unless I'm being sneaky, in which case I apparently seem to be a serial killer. I've noticed it before, especially when there's only one or two people on the road and they're walking along with 'flop, flop, flop' and 'clack, clack, clack', and I'm not making any noise at all except when I accidentally kick a rock and send it bouncing along. It seems to unnerve people.

I have noticed that I go through shoes faster than most other people seem to, in 2007 and 2008 I practically demolished at least 10 pairs of shoes, because they're built of cheap rubber that didn't like bending the way I was walking. A couple split right across the middle, or developed some serious holes. I also turned my $160 Harley boots into flip flops this way, since I was straining the backs of them more than they were intended to, and they separated from the soles.

I've since learned to be a bit easier on my shoes, since I noticed I could spend the money on better stuff, like food. Though, for quite a few years before that I'd had rather painful ankle, knee, and hip problems. Apparently I was walking with my feet held in such a way that bones were grinding together, more or less. The problem was also compounding itself, after walking a bit the pain made me walk even weirder, which made it hurt more, and so forth. Then I realized what I was doing wrong, my feet never hurt when I'd run, even if it was a couple kilometers, even though I might not be able to walk more than fifty feet without wincing. So I started walking the way I ran, on the balls of my feet, and it's probably the healthiest decision I've ever made, right up there with refraining from deep-frying my chocolate bars.
:D

I wish I could find some shoes that would hold up also.... I hate buying new shoes every 4 to 6 months just because I wear the sole out on the balls of my feet first. I don't run anywhere I walk every where I go. You name it I walk there here in Big D. (unless it's so far away that the bus is faster) I have no car so walking to the store a mile away is nice.

Later
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

kitetsu wrote:So is there a traditionalist rule against werewolves standing flat on their feet to rest their balance (and possibly look like a slight joke)? Surely you can't expect them to stand on all fours even for delicate tasks like operating on people.
If you're referring to a truly digitigrade werewolf, when they're on their pads and toes they are standing flat on their feet. The way a digitigrade foot is constructed, the length of the Achilles tendon wouldn't let them set their ankles on the ground unless they were sitting on the ground themselves.
The heel is structurally a part of the ankle, not the foot. The mid-foot area (the hock) is adapted in humans as the arch and instep section. In most creatures, it isn't; instead it's the extension of the ankle that acts lever so the ankle/achilles tendon can work at shock absorbtion when the foot strikes the ground. When the creature is running, it acts as a lever to give a little extra push to the foot for a little more speed (that's visible in sprinters, who also have huge below the knee muscle development).
As for a little more stability when doing an operation, werewolves would probably borrow from humans and use a padded stool to sit on.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

they walk or jog upright but when they need speed they go on all 4.

some mentioned that our chest, arms and shoulders arent build for 4 leged motion i agree so only way for WW to be able to it if they have hybrid chest design.
Coppy
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: Hero of Biscotti
Additional Details: Noble heart

Post by Coppy »

lovec1990 wrote:they walk or jog upright but when they need speed they go on all 4.
agree
and I think it would be weird if they can't run on all four cause the font hand push the ground to dash forward should increase WW movement speed
Her light shine brightly in my dark hours
So no matter how dark my path will be that endless light will always guide me
"Heart is a fragile thing no matter how noble or righteous you think you are yet you might stray from your path.
Your believe is the only thing that keep you going and true to your path"
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

I think it's time I weighed in on this. I'm on the fence in terms of anatomical structure, those who've followed my werewolf design thread will have an idea where I'm going.

I think, as AB suggested, an upright stance gives you an optimally dangerous werewolf in a face to face show down, but weighing up the pros and cons, I think you can push just a little bit further toward the wolf anatomy, and crowbar four leg movement into the mix, which extends the werewolf's attack range a fair amount, and makes ground level brawling more fun with the increased muscle leverages inherent in the quadruped shoulder structure. You won't miss out too much from losing a little bit of bipedal stability if all you're doing is hurling your weaponry at a target, and the ability to slap a hand down and push yourself right back up again means the werewolf is going to be tough to keep down, it can drop to all fours and still be a massive problem.

Without opposable thumbs, most of that tree climbing brawn the human musculature is known for goes to waste, save for the hook grip (which will still give our werewolf some throwing/grappling capabilities assuming we don't drop the forearm down all the way to a wolf foreleg/paw). the collar bone can be reshaped into en extra rib, expanding lung capacity, freeing up the shoulder girdle for a four legged gait, and still have all that glorious climbing muscle re-purposed into something that can rip people to shreds. In my estimation, what you'd get is something akin to a big cat, raw power, lightning sprint speed, and a healthy dose of dexterity over the hell for leather quadruped wolf anatomy, and with hind legs good enough to stand up and fight. Outside of that, I don't see what use bipedal movement all by itself is to a werewolf, I'd expect such a werewolf to switch between the two as naturally as any quadrupedal primate.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

and newborns will often use 2 leged motion